Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 916897 times)

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Does anyone have the pic for soldering the 10ohm resistor on tach to make it work???
iv never herd of that,

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 7319
  • Male Posts: 1,224
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88478.0
Where are we going? And why are we in a handbasket?

My friend is goin to moan this weekend - RockcrawlinJK

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1302
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
I have an 87 cluster and I remember seeing that a 10ohm resistor was soldered between two connection points on the back of the circuit board to make the tach work... Bevins looks like a newer cluster so I am not sure the same info crosses over...  :confused:

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
It depends on what year you are dealing with.  I do have a picture of the mod for a 2nd or 3rd gen truck, but I can't post pics yet.  PM me your email and I can email it back to you.  

If youre dealing with an'84 or earlier, some of the tachs have a potentiometer built into the tach board, which is smaller than the later models.  I will be checking within a couple weeks to see if it is going to work on my '84.  

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
I think if you actually read the whole thread your questions will be answered.. I read it twice completely and skimmed through several more.. Then search for project threads with people doing the swap... Read read read

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
thats what i did

I think if you actually read the whole thread your questions will be answered.. I read it twice completely and skimmed through several more.. Then search for project threads with people doing the swap... Read read read

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
no need to be a ass dude

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
whatever. it seems to me like a seven year long thread that's 25 pages long should be summed up by now. i'd rather have the cliff notes that eliminates the chat but i guess you'd rather take the time to post "read read read" than answer my questions and make this thread even longer than it already is..

wow.... good luck with your swap dude.. maybe you could just duct tape it all in there.

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
Great and long thread covering many years. now that more people have done these conversions is there someone that can sum up a few things for me. i live in california so i need advice based on CA smog laws. Also I have an 85 4runner SR5 5sp EFI.
#1. What is the best model and year vehicle to source a 3rz from and why?
I think it kind of depends on how you want to do it. Meaning, if you wanna use the whole harness out of the truck i believe the earlier styles are harder to use vs the newer styles with the coil pack. Im not too sure if I am talking out of my ass on that one, but I remmeber reading that somewhere. On my swap I have a 1996 and I just chopped the harness at the plugs that come from the computer to the body on both my 90 22re and the 96 tacoma. Im pretty sure the plugs are IF1 and IF2 plug on the 90 and its the IK1 and IK2 on the 96 and I spliced the wires together that needed it to run. Its really really really easy. I just went to the Toyota Informational Systems or whatever it is (https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=ti_home_page&SMENC=ISO-8859-1&SMLOCALE=U) and purchased the 3 day subscription and used the color coded diagrams to get all the wires leading to/from the motor back to the body. There are a lot of wiring diagrams already out on the internet but theyre black and white and were a total pain in the ass to read unlike the TIS ones. Took about 2 hours or so to trace everything and get it running/driving. Everything still works perfect (with the exception of the oil pressure gauge since on a 3rz its a light not a gauge, but that can be changed with a new sender) and I havent wired in the OBD II port but thats only a matter of 4 wires.
#2. Why go with a 2rz as apposed to a 3rz and what is the best model and year to source a 2rz?
Dont get a 2rz. They are really close to the same power and theyre cheaper but they are not that great of a motor at all. It really feels like a 22re with a cam/header/intake. Its not that big of an improvement except it being a newer motor. The 3rz was a HUGE improvement over the 22re. I had a rebuilt RE with a cam and exhaust and the 3rz could do circles around my old setup.
#3. If you were going to do it all over with what you know now and todays available parts such as chilkats mounts what would you purchase and what would you do yourself starting with the year motor.
Id just purchase a motor with harness and computer again. You dont need to get a body harness unless you really want to retain all the tacoma :pokinit: like the fuse box and what not. As nice as the chilkat mounts are, it took like maybe two hours to build and make my own motor mounts with the motor sittting on its own weight in the rig. Id also definitely not buy a harness or get yours made like ORS does. Total waste of money. I think a lot of people are scared of the wiring but its not hard at all.

There you go, you can PM me if you have any questions. Ill actually answer them for you rather than say "read". This thread really didnt answer a lot of questions for me so I winged it and my motor runs flawless.

whatever. it seems to me like a seven year long thread that's 25 pages long should be summed up by now. i'd rather have the cliff notes that eliminates the chat but i guess you'd rather take the time to post "read read read" than answer my questions and make this thread even longer than it already is..

I totally agree with you on this. Theres way too much chit chat and not enough tech.

wow.... good luck with your swap dude.. maybe you could just duct tape it all in there.

Cool story dude. That really helps this guy out on a motor swap. Great job  :shake:
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
There you go, you can PM me if you have any questions. Ill actually answer them for you rather than say "read". This thread really didnt answer a lot of questions for me so I winged it and my motor runs flawless.

I totally agree with you on this. Theres way too much chit chat and not enough tech.

Cool story dude. That really helps this guy out on a motor swap. Great job  :shake:

Really???? That's weird because 90% of my questions were answered on this thread and reading other peoples swap threads.  :shake:

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Really???? That's weird because 90% of my questions were answered on this thread and reading other peoples swap threads.  :shake:

yup :)

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
i agree tho, he does need to clean it up and make it one page with everything in imported instead of 25 pages of scattered info it would make it easy

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
I agree it could be cleaned up and/or summarized.  But I researched for weeks and found everything I need on here, Yotatech, and Pirate.  Not one single person locally would/could help me.  And I had a lot of threads go unanswered on the net.  But I took on the challenge and did my 3RZ swap alone.  From removing the engine, and installing everything to all the wiring. It took two months from engine pick up to complete exhaust finalization today. 

It can be done.  I will help with any specifics I can.  If you can solder and heat shrink, and run a socket/wrench set, it's an easy swap. 

Feel free to PM me for any questions you may need answered.  Good luck!!

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
there really needs to be a child board for just 3rz or just 1uz. instead of one thread that would take more time than most people have to get the tech out of this thread.
it takes a few guys a few seconds to answer his questions, or he could READ and search for 20 hours to find them.
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Ya big mike really needs to clean up this thread

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Can anyone help me with getting my scan tool to talk to the ECU?  Everything is hooked up as it should be, and the truck runs great.  But the scan tool I got from Oreillys said it can't establish a link to the ECU...    Am I missing something?  Power is good, ground is good, SIL to pin 19 of ECU "A" is good...  

Is there some sort of special software the scanner may not have?

Never mind, I figured it out.  The DLC3 that I robbed from another Taco had the SIL going into the wrong pin.  Fixed it and it reads now.  Thanks for the motivation and direction!
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2012, 04:10:22 PM by 3toys »

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
http://www.lceperformance.com/EGR-Block-Plate-Kit-2RZ-3RZ-5VZ-p/1016017.htm

anybody else running this?? would it be ok on my swap?

ArkieToy85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
2001 Toyota Tacoma DBL cab 230,000 miles 3RZ engine, harnes, computer, all accessories, and transmission for sale. $850.00.
Compression #1. 185 PSI #.2 175 PSI #3. 170 #4. 185. Little Rock, AR.

Have video of it running.

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
 :shake_head:
try the "for sale" thread.

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile

ArkieToy85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
:shake_head:
try the "for sale" thread.
x2

Thanks for the suggestions, don't have enough "Turtle points" to post on that section. :shake_head:

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
no just need more posts

tlcbtv1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Do you get a turtle point for each post?
What is the minimum to place a thread in the sale section?

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
 :shake_head: Go to the parts for sale thread and READ THE POLICY :thumbs:

tlcbtv1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
will do

tlcbtv1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
looked all over for "Policy"

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile

tlcbtv1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Got it, thanks!  :hammerhead:

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
You know what though we should leave that pic in the 3RZ thread because I allready used it to figure out some assembly.  I't great to see the engine in the vehicle with the front exposed like that...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K