Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 916987 times)

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Clutch, fork, flywheel, and bearings should all be for the 3RZ.  I've got a 3 core for the 3VZ w/ no shroud and mechanical fan...no problems w/ heat crawling on hot days.

Thank you...

Anyone know where to get an exploded view on the W59 bellhousing.. (i'm a newbie lol) I don't have any of the clutch fork parts and need to know what all I need to gather to make it work.

Really sucks all the pics are down, today I will be going through the harness on mine. I plan to install the entire tacoma harness and splice my lights into it. However, I want to remove what I don't need as well.

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Any chance someone saved the 4rnrick images to there computer?

SFD4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
Rcbro, I used my stock 83 radiator, shroud, and fan and have had no problems with overheating.  I also used my 83 fan clutch, you just have to drill the holes larger for the fan clutch to fit.  I did my swap the same way, using all tacoma wiring harness and then splicing the old harness where it needed it.  Looking back I think it may have been easier to keep most of the old harness intact and then just add on the wires that are needed to run the engine, however I don't think it would have came out as clean.  Good luck!
83 pickup, 4.88s, chevys in rear, RUF, Dual Transfers, flat belly, 3RZ swap, disc brake x4, rollin on 36" irocs

IF YOU SEE A 20' PAC WEST/CARSON FLAT BED TRAILER FOR SALE CHECK OUT THE STOLEN SECTION.  IT MIGHT BE MINE!!!!

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Rcbro, I used my stock 83 radiator, shroud, and fan and have had no problems with overheating.  I also used my 83 fan clutch, you just have to drill the holes larger for the fan clutch to fit.  I did my swap the same way, using all tacoma wiring harness and then splicing the old harness where it needed it.  Looking back I think it may have been easier to keep most of the old harness intact and then just add on the wires that are needed to run the engine, however I don't think it would have came out as clean.  Good luck!

Thank you for the info! I plan to use the Tacoma harness just to keep things clean. I realize it'll take more time, but then I'll probably appreciate it more too lol

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
I just came across this .PDF that has the ECU Pinouts for 3rz and 5VZ for 1995-2004. It is very informative.

http://www.well.com/user/mosk/images/Early_Tacoma_ECUs_v2.pdf

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1302
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
Anyone have a pic with what they did with their clutch line and fuel line?

ohioyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 212
  • Member since May '06
  • GIV-R-HELL
    • View Profile
So took the starter back to oreilys and it turns out it was the wrong one. Don't know what it was for but the new one they gave me bolted right up and it cranks fine.

Now on to the next problem. Engine cranks and runs for about 5 seconds then bogs down and dies. If you try to give it gas it will cut out instantly. It's getting fuel and spark.

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
bad number of posts... so im bumping it

:scared:
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Hey Guys,
 I'm getting close on my 2001 3RZ harness. I'm at the IK2 plug and am questioning a few things. I'm hoping some of you who have done this swap can help out. I've got a google document found here that anyone can edit found below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At-gfRymjm1cdHJUYzdYUXNZbHgzTXNESXl2elpvaFE#gid=0

You can see I've got almost all 26 wires figured out. However, some wires are not what my diagrams show they are. Also, I'm not 100% sure what wires I can ditch. I keep second guessing what items I can get rid of. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Capt. Crawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
 Just started the wiring on my swap.
 '98 3rz to '82 longbed. looking for mechanical speed-cable with vss signal?
 Thanks in advance.

great thread. wouldn't have done this without it.

Was online and found that the early 1990's Land Cruisers had a VSS to cable mounted on the transfer case? Wonder if would fit my gear driven case?
  Also looked at Summit and B&M with no luck yet?
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2012, 11:56:27 AM by Capt. Crawler »

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Just started the wiring on my swap.
 '98 3rz to '82 longbed. looking for mechanical speed-cable with vss signal?
 Thanks in advance.

great thread. wouldn't have done this without it.

Was online and found that the early 1990's Land Cruisers had a VSS to cable mounted on the transfer case? Wonder if would fit my gear driven case?
  Also looked at Summit and B&M with no luck yet?

you use the vss signal from the dash cluster to feed the ecu.
hold this. . .

Capt. Crawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
I am trying to retain the cruise control and the A/C
 Is this possable ?? :beerwhack:

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile

you use the vss signal from the dash cluster to feed the ecu.

Am I understanding that you MUST use the Taco or appropriate vehicle cluster in order for the ECU to receive the VSS signal?  I am starting my '84 carb truck to '98 Taco, 4wd/5spd 3RZ swap after researching for a few months.  I understood that the ECU did not need a VSS signal to run fine, it would only trip CEL.  Or will I have to get the Marlin VSS adapter in order to supply the ECU the VSS signal, and live without a speedometer?

85yotabox

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
3-toys,  i ran mine for a while with no vss hooked up and it ran the same as after I hooked it up.  I just had to live with no speedo and check engine light on all the time.
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!

Capt. Crawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
"you use the vss signal from the dash cluster to feed the ecu."
        :slap:                                                                           '98 4Runner A/T
  OK so if I connect the four wires together that feed the speedo, ( P-L, GR-L, BR, ? ) eliminating the gauge I don't have. That should feed the ecu the vss signal?

Dakota Digital makes an 8K pulse adapter to install in-line with the speedo cable?    :hammerhead:

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
the vss signal to the ECU is one wire from the cluster.
typically green/blue stripe.

you do not needs to use the matching dash to the ECU.

for example, my 89 4runner cluster works fine with the 00 ecu. my 79 cluster worked fine with my 86 ecu.

what you guys are missing is that there are two vss.

one on electronic cases.  this one feeds the dash. 3 wire
the one in the dash feeds the ECU. 1 wire

another example, a speedo cable truck.  one wire.  goes from the dash to the ecu. the cable makes the cluster work.

and really the way the electronic vss is wired, you have one wire as power, one as ground and one sending the signal to the dash.  then one sending from the dash to the ecu.

feel free to PM me on stuff as i dont read this thread often.
thanks
hold this. . .

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Alot of amazing info

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
I got it gnob.  I didnt understand that the cable driven speedos provided a VSS signal to non EFI trucks.  Thanks for the clarification as I am starting my 3RZ swap this week, as soon as I recieve my FSM for the '98 and '84 trucks.  Again, thanks for the clarification.

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
What year and truck is it the best to get a 3rz for a swap into my 83?

SFD4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
Have you not read this forum at all. Read the forum, do some research, and make your own decision. There are pros and cons to the different years. If you just come on to a site and ask a generic question like that you seriously need to ask yourself if you're even ready to do this swap. Not trying to be an ass but come on man this has been covered multiple times in the last 23 pages.
83 pickup, 4.88s, chevys in rear, RUF, Dual Transfers, flat belly, 3RZ swap, disc brake x4, rollin on 36" irocs

IF YOU SEE A 20' PAC WEST/CARSON FLAT BED TRAILER FOR SALE CHECK OUT THE STOLEN SECTION.  IT MIGHT BE MINE!!!!

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
No need to be a ass iv beeen here longer then you so shut, iv done my reshearch just asking a easy question, i know alot about them just can't find the right anwser

SFD4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
Sorry dude, I was drunk and in a bad mood when I posted that last night... The main difference between the motor years seems to be if you want a distributer or coil packs.  The coil packs do look a lot cleaner and I don't think they are really any harder to wire up.  I guess what I should have asked last night is what are you looking to get out of your motor? And what years are you leering towards?  I put a 96 in my 83 and I love it!

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
It's all good man, it happends to the best of us. Lol but there's a place called toyonlyswaps.com and they make custom stand alone harness for 3rz for a carb truck, I guess what I'm asking is what year is easyest to wire and most power and least problems

HogCanyonHopper

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 7319
  • Male Posts: 1,224
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Are you going to smog it? If so, you want a donor vehicle that is complete. '97-'99 are probably the best, cause I think they switched to
"fly by wire" throttle in 2000. I put a 3rz in my '80 pu and I love it :love: Passed the smog ref easy. Its a great swap. Good luck :thumbs:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88478.0
Where are we going? And why are we in a handbasket?

My friend is goin to moan this weekend - RockcrawlinJK

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
No I'm in Oregon so smog is no big deal, so are those spark plug or coil pack? And you still using stock dash with tach

HogCanyonHopper

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 7319
  • Male Posts: 1,224
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
'97 is when they switched to coil packs. I used as much as I could from the donor. Instrument cluster, all wiring, wiper motor, combo switch, converted gas tank to fit Tacoma fuel pump and sender. Used all the smog components.
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88478.0
Where are we going? And why are we in a handbasket?

My friend is goin to moan this weekend - RockcrawlinJK

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Ok well I'm propane right now so I'm going to run a fuel cell, and I don't wanna use that much smog stuff and would love to get my 83 sr5 tach and dash

SFD4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
I know you at least need to run a cat, cause otherwise your o2 sensors wont read a difference and it affects how your motor will run. 

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
True I will run a cat

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
I was under the impression that Toyonlyswaps only does conversion harnesses for factory EFI vehicles.  I inquired and since mine is an '84 22R I would have to ship the truck to them for the conversion.  
Since I bought the parts from a local wrecking yard, I am learning that I am missing a part of the ECU harness.  Am I safe to conclude that there are 3 plugs from the engine bay into the ECU, and one from the dash harness(E5 connector into ECU)?  

I have figured that "A" or "E5" is main power feed for the ECU along with some other controls. Is it safe to say that it is possible to get the appropriate connector/terminals for E5 and wire it "manually? As in without the remaining portions of the harness that are unrelated to the ECU?  Or even get the connector from the donor truck and eliminate what isn't necessary?  Or are there other parts of that loom that I will need?

Never mind, I went to the donor truck and got the connector finally. Simple to wire in. My question has now become-- what is SIL from diag connector 3?  And what does this OBD port do?  Is this port necessary or is the engine mounted OBD port all that is needed?
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2012, 08:12:06 PM by 3toys »