Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 911390 times)

1uzrunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
This is the 96 year E5 plug which differs from the other years.

These are the other two plugs that the main harness from the engine, plugs into these two plugs.  I am having a hard time identifiing what these ones are. 

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
the grey male plug goes into the ecu and the other 2 plug into the engine harness and the wires go to the gauge cluster and fuse box for power to the ecu, injectors, ect..

1uzrunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Yes, I agree.  I am trying to figure out what needs to go to power, ground, ign, Check Engine Light, Water Temp, Oil pressure. 

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -132
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I am wiring up a 96 4WD Standard trans engine.  The Schematic that 4rnrick has shown is for a 2000 motor, and the wiring colors, and locations are different, can someone point me in the right direction for the correct pin-outs?

96 TACOMA EWD on the following link... good luck on the swap.  Wiring is not hard, but a bit time consuming.  Take your time and you should be able to figure which wire goes where.

***Maybe someone can save the info from the link below and host it on a different server in case the current link goes down?***

http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/articles/96_electrical.pdf

squirrel84

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 487
  • Member since Oct '07
  • Why do you have to beat the crap out of them?
    • View Profile
att: Big Mike , no spark.
working on doing a motor swap on 85 pickup and putting the 3rz motor in it.  I got the gauge cluster out of a 88 toyota 4runner v6. When i get it all hooked up i am not getting spark.  My 3rz motor came out of a 95 tacoma and it has a two coil set up.  Will this combination work with the gauges that I have.  If not do you have any tips on what to check to find out why I am not getting spark.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2009, 02:57:59 PM by squirrel84 »

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
att: Big Mike , no spark.
working on doing a motor swap on 85 pickup and putting the 3rz motor in it.  I got the gauge cluster out of a 88 toyota 4runner v6. When i get it all hooked up i am not getting spark.  My 3rz motor came out of a 95 tacoma and it has a two coil set up.  Will this combination work with the gauges that I have.  If not do you have any tips on what to check to find out why I am not getting spark.
if your motor came out of a 95 tacoma it is not the 2 coil set-up my friend.... my 96 motor has a distributor
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

squirrel84

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 487
  • Member since Oct '07
  • Why do you have to beat the crap out of them?
    • View Profile
yeah your right, it has a distributor and it is a single coil setup. My question how do i get a pulse to my cluster and how do we get spark to the distributor? Also, my fuel pump runs constantly, with the key on and off.

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
did  splice harnesses?   or use the entire taco harness?

591fab

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
looking to update my dd  with a 3rz anyone know if I can bolt a 3rz up to a 2wd trans? my daily is a 92 22re with 5speed.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
looking to update my dd  with a 3rz anyone know if I can bolt a 3rz up to a 2wd trans? my daily is a 92 22re with 5speed.
you will prolly need a 2wd tacoma trans or bellhousing from one at least...
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
your 2wd yota has a w series trans, just use the taco bellhousing.

zidaro

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 480
  • Male Posts: 527
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
if your motor came out of a 95 tacoma it is not the 2 coil set-up my friend.... my 96 motor has a distributor

FYI-  first generation have a distributor, the second gen have 2 coil packs on the side of the head, the 3rd gen have 4 coil packs

from an earlier post in this thread
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2009, 12:25:01 PM by gumby »
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

http://www.4wheelunderground.com/
TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

AToyota2NV

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 8
  • Member since Jul '09
  • Live Free or Die!
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I just wanted to say thanks for this great thread.  I've been mooching off this post for a while and now that my swap is mostly done, I thought I could give back a little.  I put a 98 Tacoma 3RZ into my 87 Extra cab.  It was a great experience with a lot of detail work, but it was all worth it. 

Some things I found out along the way. 
1) Make sure you use a heavy metal catalytic converter.  I got done with my exhaust and I'm throwing a P0420 code because the computer thinks I have a bad cat since I didn't use a heavy metal cat. 
2) Stock O2 sensor flange type is Bosch part number 15739
3) If you prefer to use a threaded type sensor with a weld in bung, Bosch part number 15730 will work.  The threaded type comes off of a 4runner with CA emissions (rear sensor).

Probably the most important thing I found out was this swap will NOT work without some sort of lift (on IFS trucks).  You will either need a 3" body lift so you can mount the engine higher in the engine bay or a 3" suspension lift that drops the front differential.  Without this, the oil pan will hit the front differential (even with the rear sump conversion).  Maybe this was posted previously, but I don't remember reading it before I started my swap as it seems most if the guys here did this swap on a truck with a SAS.

There is still a little more I want to do to the truck, but it's been on the road and drivable now for about 5 months with only the P0420 code being thrown. 

Thanks again for all the knowledge.
87 Extra Cab 4x4 22RE Automatic turned 3RZ-FE 5 speed
3" IFS suspension lift

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
 :thumbs:
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

1uzrunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
I have been running my 3r in my 86 truck for a month or so now, every day.  The truck has IFS, and NO lift.  I used the 22r oil pan, with it welded to the 3r old pan rail.  Works great.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
 :bowdown:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

AToyota2NV

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '09
  • Live Free or Die!
    • View Profile
very good.  So how many quarts of oil are you running with the hybrid oil pan setup?  And what did you use for an oil pickup tube??
3" IFS suspension lift

1uzrunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
6qts of oil.  I used a 22r tube, that I modified and tig welded to the oil pickup tube off of the 3r motor.

chansuke

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 2
  • Member since Nov '09
  • Build. Break. Repeat as needed.
    • View Profile
Hey all, I have an '85 runner that came with a 22re and an auto transmission. The 22re threw a rod, so I ditched it. I was originally looking at building a 22re, but have decided to swap a 3rz in instead. Ive read through this all and I have a couple questions:

1. I have no access to a welder. I need bolt in mounts. Is there anyone who has done this swap that is willing to make a set and ship them? Ill make it worth your while.

2. I have a second 88 V6 parts Runner. I am currently debating using the R150 from that, or sourcing a W56 and Tcase. Drove the V6 for awhile, and even though its high mileage the transmission is in good shape. I would still like an opinion from some of you though.

'85 4Runner 2.4 - Awaiting 2.7
'88 4Runner 3.0 - Awaiting dismemberment

Everyones first vehicle should be a Jeep.

That way, when they buy a Toyota, they can really appreciate it.

dezrik

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 192
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
Is it necessary to keep the Stock gauge cluster hooked up for proper engine tune? Ill be swaping a 3rz in my first gen in a couple of weeks. I only want to keep the wiring that is necessary to run it as a stand alone harness. I will keep the OBII intact as it is very easy to figure out what is wrong with the engine with a scanner. Will i need to install a VSS? Any help would be appreciated Thanks

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
What is everyone doing for the oil pressure sensor on this swap?  The ORS harness I have says to use a old single wire type oil pressure sensor from a 22re/22r/3vz-fe so pulled one from an old 22r and bolted it in and just hooked up a jumper wire from the sensor to the connector (before I have to change the connector) and fired up the motor and the oil pressure sensor still showed zero.  To me it makes sense that it should use this type of sensor for the old style gauges, since that's what it came with,  but it's not working.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

AToyota2NV

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '09
  • Live Free or Die!
    • View Profile
As far as I know the 3rz engines came with an oil pressure light (I don't know if the oil pressure gauge was as option or not).  Mine at least, came with the switch light.  I also had the cheap cluster in my truck so I swapped it to a SR5 Cluster.  Until I buy a sender unit, I have just moved the wire in the gauge cluster A connector from pin location 3 (oil pressure) to pin location 4 (back door).  I did this so that I wouldn't inadvertently fry my gauge, and since I don't have a back door, the light was available.  Also if the back door light is on, I know I have low oil pressure, instead of just unplugging the wire from the switch light on the block.  Obviously I'll change it back once I get the oil pressure sender unit so that the gauge works properly.
3" IFS suspension lift

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
What is everyone doing for the oil pressure sensor on this swap?  The ORS harness I have says to use a old single wire type oil pressure sensor from a 22re/22r/3vz-fe so pulled one from an old 22r and bolted it in and just hooked up a jumper wire from the sensor to the connector (before I have to change the connector) and fired up the motor and the oil pressure sensor still showed zero.  To me it makes sense that it should use this type of sensor for the old style gauges, since that's what it came with,  but it's not working.

That is correct that is what I run and it works fine, you must have a bad sensor.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Either that or my something with my gauge is fried.  Sounds like I need to do a little EWD studying and diagnosing.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

steve-o

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
so im working on swapping a 95.5 3rz into my 86 4runner,  i have the motor in so it can start up and run for a few seconds

now the info im looking for is how do i hook up the O2 sensors?  im not sure where im suppose to run the wires to.  i have read this entire thread and done allot of searching on pirate with no luck,  either that or im blind and its right infront of me  :laugh:

thanks
86 4runner, 3link front, 4link rear, 39.5x13x15 iroks on 15x10 allied racing beadlocks, flatbelly, custom 61in wide toy front axle, 3rz, doubler, and more

AToyota2NV

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '09
  • Live Free or Die!
    • View Profile
Steve-O

On my 98 Tacoma engine the front sensor wires are
White/Red - 12V For Heater
Brown - Ground
Red/Black -Computer grounded for heater
White - Signal to computer

The rear sensor wires are
White/Red - 12V For Heater
Brown - Ground
Red/White -Computer grounded for heater
Black - Signal to computer
3" IFS suspension lift

steve-o

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
thanks i figured it out it was right infront of me like i thought :laugh:
86 4runner, 3link front, 4link rear, 39.5x13x15 iroks on 15x10 allied racing beadlocks, flatbelly, custom 61in wide toy front axle, 3rz, doubler, and more

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,557
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Here is the mount that I made, for a 88' pickup. Im a little worried the poly bushing will be rather stiff, so i might switch them to rubber. If you watch the video the engine doesn't move at all! Little more welding needed on the mounts. But i think it looks awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX7RYkh0eY8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IeVhCtcZzs
If you see it, its for sale.

1uzrunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Here is the pictures from My 3rz.  It is bolted to a w56 trans.  I had a turbo 22r in here before.  It was a 3mm overbore, forged pistons, 8.25-1 cr.  Full floating wrist pins, solid copper head gasket, oringed block.  Megasquirt controll, coil pack ignition, Full T3 turbo, etc.  I went to this motor because towing with a gasoline turbo motor just creates too much heat in the motor, and it will eventually detonate towing up hills for long periods of time.  The 3rz does not have near the power the old 22r turbo motor did, but this is better for beating on and not near as tempermental.  No body lift, still using IFS (dont knock, it is just a driver, I have a Ls400 lexus motor in my solid axled 95 runners for all of the haters :)  ) .  I rebuilt the 3rz before I installed also. 

dezrik

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 192
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
respool that winch!!!  :shocking:  :smack: