Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 893984 times)

davidr34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 121
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
so is the vss built in to the gauge cluster and if so i need some proof of this and im set. Ive spend all afternoon reading and from what i can till its built in to the cluster

davidr34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 121
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Nobody works for toyota and can help me prove the ECM is for the truck??? Thanks

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -132
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Jmsdad I think i bought your motor a couple years about the 22re hot of a white 4runner we pulled it that day i came out Maybe not i just thought it might be you anyways.
[/quote

yeah, that's me...

Nobody works for toyota and can help me prove the ECM is for the truck??? Thanks

Does the white sticker on the ECM have a part # that's visible and not faded?  What year engine and vehicle did it come out of?  You should be able to reference the part # of the ECM by searching on www.car-part.com

jonesy727

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
Big ups for Big Mike what a great wealth of info I havent got thru all of it but i got some questions. I have a 89 2wd shortbed single cab with a 22r in it and its dead with a 4 speed m/t  is some of it interchangeable with parts that I have? I called the dealer and gave them my Vin. they came up with w55 and w56 numbers How do I know wich I have where should I look?. they said all they knew about it was that its a w type trans I read earlier that this will direct bolt to the 3rz. Im kinda confused so correct me if im wrong but how im seeing it I can drop a 3rz motor and bellhousing in and bolt it up and run it with the 4 speed I have in now?   Im goin to do the 3rz swap whats the best/easy way?     
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2009, 01:20:14 PM by jonesy727 »

mtnyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Has anyone had any luck getting past the smog ref recently?

tfrere

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
I have read this string many times... I thought I saw someone did this swap on a truck with IFS I am having trouble with my motor mount locations and clearance issues can someone help?
Thanks

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
Big ups for Big Mike what a great wealth of info I havent got thru all of it but i got some questions. I have a 89 2wd shortbed single cab with a 22r in it and its dead with a 4 speed m/t  is some of it interchangeable with parts that I have? I called the dealer and gave them my Vin. they came up with w55 and w56 numbers How do I know wich I have where should I look?. they said all they knew about it was that its a w type trans I read earlier that this will direct bolt to the 3rz. Im kinda confused so correct me if im wrong but how im seeing it I can drop a 3rz motor and bellhousing in and bolt it up and run it with the 4 speed I have in now?   Im goin to do the 3rz swap whats the best/easy way?     

u should have the w55, the w56 is a 4wd transmission, and u can bolt the taco motor and bell right up to it, but im not sure how u are gonna make an oil pan work.

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Has anyone had any luck getting past the smog ref recently?

Got mine done last Friday...I sailed thru the process without a hiccup.  Way easier now since the new regs went into effect.  I still had to redo the exhaust.

Did you ever get your EVAP monitor to set?

From post on pirate...

[/quote]
Update!!

Got this swap approved and passed by the ref last Friday (May 1, 09).  Got some good news for those of you who have not gone to see the referee yet.  As of April 15, 09, all engine changes will only require a visual inspection by the referee.  You can then take your vehicle to any smog inspection station and get the rest of the test done there (smog/dyno). 

Long story but I had my first ref inspection back on March 26, 09.  I failed because of the exhaust crossover and the OBD non-continuous monitors were not set. 

Here's my attempt at putting the exhaust back into the stock Tacoma location (passenger side).

Had to lengthen the downpipe a few inches so the flange will clear the shackle/bolt.

Surprisingly front drive-shaft fits with 1/2" clearance...didn't bother putting it back in.  I'm going to put in the crossover tube and route the exhaust back onto the driver's side like I intended originally

stock 3rz air box...i had to take out the washer reservoir, but the airbox fits fine and the hood closes with no interference

[/quote]

jonesy727

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
bogger thanks for that.what is the oil pan problem that im going to run into? I been collecting parts for the last couple weeks and Im goin to start to get the 22r out this weekend.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
bogger thanks for that.what is the oil pan problem that im going to run into? I been collecting parts for the last couple weeks and Im goin to start to get the 22r out this weekend.

The oil pan will require major modification, do a search on Pirate someone had a post there for a 3RZ swap in an IFS truck.

jonesy727

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
thanks will check that out

jonesy727

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
couldnt find the exact thread but I been reading thru the arcive they have as well I cant wait ....

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Can anyone show me some pics of the mounts? I put mine on the frame today and because my truck was IFS the motor mounts sit up on the old a arm mounts. I was looking at it and if i cut them off it may lean forward a bit but if i cut them off the blocks and move them i may have to shave the mount down some. Other then that i ran in to the downpipe issue with the shackle bolt and think i rather extend it then what i had planned. After its mounted im going to test fit the cab back on and finish the frame. Firts time its had a motor on the frame in close to a year.

doing the swap the easy way ;)
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
couldnt find the exact thread but I been reading thru the arcive they have as well I cant wait ....

Here's the Link   http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572670&highlight=3rz+swaps

Just copy and paste to your browser.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
DELETE
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:16:00 PM by *ROKTOY* »

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
i blew the headgasket on my 3rz today
and tore a motor mount in half
my 3rz is kinda a pile

jonesy727

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
thanks roktoy.

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Oh hi!
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
any good pics of your motor mounts? russelg

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
My parts truck is a 00 tacoma and i want to get rid of all the smog crap on the drivers fenderwell...Anyway to do this with out throwing a CEL or having it run funny??

im talking the big box behind the fuseblock.

I was thinking i could just throw the sensors in and loop the lines but i wasnt sure.
My build

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
any good pics of your motor mounts? russelg

This is the best i have right now but i will get some new ones up when i pull the cab back off and motor out to finish the frame. My welders a pain to use upside down so im just flipping the frame and having it all out of the way .

My build

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My parts truck is a 00 tacoma and i want to get rid of all the smog crap on the drivers fenderwell...Anyway to do this with out throwing a CEL or having it run funny??

im talking the big box behind the fuseblock.

I was thinking i could just throw the sensors in and loop the lines but i wasnt sure.

Got this off the 'net.  EVAP canistor delete...

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Thanks jmsdad, I will look in to this more. I didnt know what that thing was called. A few guys have come by and called it different things.

Looking at tranny stuff today and im going to be looking in to how to make the 4wd light work and the speedo work. It looked like i could swap the w59 stuff to my g54 but its not that easy. The reverse light swapped over but the other 2 are different sized and wont swap.
My build

potter85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since May '09
  • complete disregard for sheet metal.....
    • View Profile
i just picked up on a 3rz from a rolled four runner it is five speed with everything for 300 bucks WHOOO HOOO... i hope to swap it into my 85 in the place of the 22r. it ran fine when it rolled. i am kinda worried about splicing the harness of the dash into the 3rz harness... I have a brand new rebuilt g52 and am not sure of what the five speed is on the motor? will it bolt up to my dual cases?
3rz in the making

looking for 38s

2 tundra 4.7l v8 soon to be sas'ed

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
the 3rz has a w59, get yourself a w56 for it, the g54 wont last long.

potter85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
yeah i have managed to destroy two g54s  with only the 22r so i am pretty sure a w56 is in order
3rz in the making

looking for 38s

potter85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
how is the w59 is it strong?
3rz in the making

looking for 38s

potter85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
i am picking up the motor and donor four runner today it was rolled and runs has great interior and is a 98. i am worried about the wiring. i am going to assume that everything needed from the donor truck will be taken and the only splicing of anything will be the dash wiring harnesses from both trucks. essentially the truck will be the fourunner... correct me if i am wrong
3rz in the making

looking for 38s

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
get a W56 so you can run gear cases..... other wise your stuck with expensive adaptors like so with a R series trans/auto.

then run your 3rz bellhousing.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13