Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 897668 times)

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
are you re-using the same old radiator? If so, you need to replace it w/ a new one. You're supposed to replace radiators like every 10 yrs anyway. That old radiator is probably so clogged up...

go to a V6/Turbo Radiator. :thumbs:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
I have another question for the pro's...I have an 87 toyota longbed that was factory 22r. Im trying to figure out what transmission i have and for some reason cant find anything online to help me. The trans is a 4cylinder trans with a forward shift case.

I need to know if i can bolt the 3rz bellhousing to it or if im going to need a new tranny. I just picked up my dual cases that are 23 spline in the cases but 21 input so i know its not a turbo trans. The other question is will the duals i have bolt to the stock 2000 trans if the bellhousing doesnt work..

Also if i have to use the non 3rz trans what clutch will i use? I just got a new one for the 22re i was planning on dumping in but not sure if i can use it. Id sell it but ordered/paid for the 6 puck version and got the basic one that was $100 cheaper so i will never get my money back.
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0

squirrel84

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 487
  • Member since Oct '07
  • Why do you have to beat the crap out of them?
    • View Profile
Im getting all the parts together to start a 3rz swap
I have the
1. 3rz engine
2. wiring harness
3. W59 bellhousing
4. fuel tank
5. ECU for a 5 spd

A few things im not sure about are the throw out fork and throw out bearing, witch set do i use? the one off the W59 or the or the g54 set up?

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 308
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
I have the
1. 3rz engine
2. wiring harness
3. W59 bellhousing
4. fuel tank
5. ECU for a 5 spd

A few things im not sure about are the throw out fork and throw out bearing, witch set do i use? the one off the W59 or the or the g54 set up?

Are you trying to run a G54 trans w/ a W59 bellhousing? You need a w series transmission to utilize that bellhousing. You'll need to try the W56 & W59 forks. I'm running a R150 from a 3.0. I trried the W59 fork and there was too much slack w/ the trans mounted up.

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
I have another question for the pro's...I have an 87 toyota longbed that was factory 22r. Im trying to figure out what transmission i have and for some reason cant find anything online to help me. The trans is a 4cylinder trans with a forward shift case.

I need to know if i can bolt the 3rz bellhousing to it or if im going to need a new tranny. I just picked up my dual cases that are 23 spline in the cases but 21 input so i know its not a turbo trans. The other question is will the duals i have bolt to the stock 2000 trans if the bellhousing doesnt work..

Also if i have to use the non 3rz trans what clutch will i use? I just got a new one for the 22re i was planning on dumping in but not sure if i can use it. Id sell it but ordered/paid for the 6 puck version and got the basic one that was $100 cheaper so i will never get my money back.

found info on it. My tranny is R150f so can i put the bellhousing from the taco on that or do i need the adapter from marlin?
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
u will need a bellhousing from marlin for the r series, the stock tacoma tranny is a w59 with works great for us guys running a w56.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Are you trying to run a G54 trans w/ a W59 bellhousing? You need a w series transmission to utilize that bellhousing. You'll need to try the W56 & W59 forks. I'm running a R150 from a 3.0. I trried the W59 fork and there was too much slack w/ the trans mounted up.

WRONG, The W59 bellhousing will work with the G series trans.

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 308
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile

WRONG, The W59 bellhousing will work with the G series trans.

10-4 I've been wrong before...

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
I have the
1. 3rz engine
2. wiring harness
3. W59 bellhousing
4. fuel tank
5. ECU for a 5 spd

DO NOT JUST BUY JUST ANY OLD 5SPEED ECU. Buy the one that came with that motor. If you have a Taco Motor, then buy a Taco ECU, if you have a Tundra motor then buy a Tundra ECU.

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
u will need a bellhousing from marlin for the r series, the stock tacoma tranny is a w59 with works great for us guys running a w56.

What slave and clutch for will i need? Im guessing all the 3rz stuff?
My build

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
yep
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

davidr34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 121
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
hey guys,
I'm going to get checked out by the referee next week. I had a few questions about it an maybe you guys have some tips that might help me out.

Do they drive the truck?
Also are the going to car about my home made intake or exhaust. Its a 96 t100 2.7 I saw the thing about the cross over on the exhaust being a problem. my buddy has a k&n kit for his 97 taco could i throw that on there?
Has anyone gone through the redding one?
I'm guessing the car need to be insured before they test it?
Does it matter if i drive it overthere unregistered?

Any other tips will help. I just hate the dmv and want to get it right the first time.

Thanks

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
what a stock taco oilpan looks like with a rear sump modifacation.

mtnyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
hey guys,
I'm going to get checked out by the referee next week. I had a few questions about it an maybe you guys have some tips that might help me out.

Do they drive the truck?
Also are the going to car about my home made intake or exhaust. Its a 96 t100 2.7 I saw the thing about the cross over on the exhaust being a problem. my buddy has a k&n kit for his 97 taco could i throw that on there?

Any other tips will help. I just hate the dmv and want to get it right the first time.

Thanks

1. In the bay area we are smog 2 so they put it on the dyno.
2. On the exhust it can be home made but all the components need to be in the donors factory location. The intake can't be modified in any way.
3. I havn't
4. They didn't ask for proof of insurance
5. My registration was expired and wasn't an issue to them, but the local police may feel different if they see ya.

Good luck, post back your results
Jacob

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
I have a question, does the ECM need to be grounded, physically attached to the body? I want to move it into the glove box and would like to know if I have to run a wire from it to the body?

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
I have a question, does the ECM need to be grounded, physically attached to the body? I want to move it into the glove box and would like to know if I have to run a wire from it to the body?
i dont think so. mine is clamped to the fire wall with some alum. with Styrofoam between the ecm and anything it touches. so theres no way mines grounded
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

coffee boy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile

Hey this guy. Since your motor is out, look at this little (expletive deleted) on the oil filter mount for me. The aluminum tab is in the way of using a tundra filter on there. It serves no purpose I can see but I can not get a really good look at it because it is in the truck. I want to know if I can just cut it off flush and use a bigger filter. Thanks.

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -132
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I don't know what purpose that tab serves, but mine is long gone.  Cut it out with a hacksaw.

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
hey guys,

Do they drive the truck?

Thanks

Updates? 

The ref drove mine around the building with a scanner hooked up to the OBD port to make sure the speed sensor works.

Make sure your OBD non-continuous monitored tests are completed.  Depending on year there's 4 or 5 tests.  The ref will not pass you if any test is not completed.  Of course, you know about the exhaust crossover, so be ready to fab another when you get back.

If you have the stock airbox and plumbing, I suggest you use that as the ref don't take too kindly on aftermarket stuff.

ohio

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Oil Pan Conversion Information (Big Thanks to 4RnrRick for these!!):
If your 3RZ came out of a Tacoma, then you will need the rear-sump oil pan equipment from a 1995-1997 2WD T100 to clear your front Live Axle.
I know it's sacrilege on this board, but I'm keeping my IFS. Do I need the T100 oil pan? I'm not lifting the body. Closest I could find with a search was malodin's thread (http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26050.msg278285#msg278285), where he says without the t100 pan "it's difficult." He also had some significant lift. Any idea, or just get started and find out (not a good option for me)?

coffee boy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
I don't know what purpose that tab serves, but mine is long gone.  Cut it out with a hacksaw.

Thanks Mister. Off to find a hacksaw and some modivation.

davidr34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Well i had Refree test done today. Redding guys are pretty cool they also own rock crawlers. But still i did not pass. I quess all the smog rules have change and beleive it or not they are much easier to get threw. As of 4-15 2009 The only thing the referee will do is a visual. They didnt even hook up the obd. Thats good because mine doesnt work?!?!? Anyways. I have 2 thing i need to fix but i dont even have to take it back to the referee. So i need to prove that the ecu is for the motor. i dont know why but there numbers didnt match up everything came out of same 100. I went to the dealership to do that and they couldnt help me because i dont know the vin for the truck the motor came out of. This might be a problem because they marked it as a tacoma not a t100 they searched both and neither matched up. Werid i thought, but they left it as a taco because i used the k&n intake and k&n only has tacoma on the OE numbers not t100s. Other thing i need to fix is that i dont have a vss which is a problem and i will have to do some searching on here. but after i get those fixed i just take it to a smog place. so if anyone can help ill take it. Ps The cross over wasnt a problem at all didnt even bring it up.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2009, 03:36:01 PM by davidr34 »

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I quess all the smog rules have change and beleive it or not they are much easier to get threw. As of 4-15 2009 The only thing the referee will do is a visual. They didnt even hook up the obd.

Weird...could it be that you're in a non-enhanced smog area OR the ref up there is very lenient?

Now how could a ref even pass a vehicle if the OBD is not even hooked up to verify that there are no MIL codes present?  That's so effed up on how the system works...

Going to take mine back to the ref again next week after after fabbing up a temp exhaust.

davidr34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
they just do a visual check the obd will be hooked up and tested at the smog station. Per referee 4-15-09 all center changed

davidr34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
jms dad what are you doing for a vss

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
jms dad what are you doing for a vss

does your speedo work?  I don't have my notes with me but I spliced both VSS (tacoma into 4runner wiring) wires together.

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have 2 thing i need to fix but i dont even have to take it back to the referee.

If you don't have to take the truck back to the ref, who issues the BAR label? 

davidr34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
speedo is mech. but yest it works, I have a vss out of a 95 that came with my tranny. Were does it wre do. I bought the ors harness and it didnt have a vss i guess i should have wired it myself. I need to get this figured out so i can get it driving it. Anyone have any ideas on verifing the ecm? Or can i get a vin from someones 3rz so i can tell the dealership?
Thanks

davidr34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
The stickers on it i just have to have any smog guy sign off that i have prof of ecm and vss installed crazy huh. Jmsdad I think i bought your motor a couple years about the 22re hot of a white 4runner we pulled it that day i came out Maybe not i just thought it might be you anyways.

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
speedo is mech. but yest it works, I have a vss out of a 95 that came with my tranny. Were does it wre do. I bought the ors harness and it didnt have a vss i guess i should have wired it myself. I need to get this figured out so i can get it driving it. Anyone have any ideas on verifing the ecm? Or can i get a vin from someones 3rz so i can tell the dealership?
Thanks
I too have a ors harness and according to Mike its already set up in his harness. I emailed him about mine and he told me it was already integrated in the harness.