Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 895986 times)

howdydude

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Hey All,

New guy here, recently picked up a 2000 4runner 4WD 5 speed with the 3RZ engine, to replace my venerable 1988 22RE 4runner.  (We needed 4 doors to accommodate a new family member.)

This will be my DD, used mainly for light wheeling/exploring/camping on USFS road system here in Oregon, winter travel and occasionally towing a light trailer with my 14' river raft.  Goals are fuel economy and long-term reliability.  My impression is that the 3RZ moves the heavier 3rd gen 4runner a bit better than the 22RE moved the 1st gen, but with significantly better torque, i.e. much less need to downshift on hills.  But improving throttle response and a bit more pep would be nice, if that can be accomplished without major mods.

I've read that this motor responds well to opening up the exhaust a bit.  Current tentative plan is to swap in a later style (2001+) "mini-header" exhaust manifold, an LCE 2.5" free-flow cat made for the 3RZ, and maybe a Magnaflow muffler- I want to keep it pretty quiet.

But I'ld really appreciate input on exhaust system options from all you 3RZ gurus!  Specifically, is the $160 LCE "exclusive" 3RZ cat really exclusive to them?  Or is the same thing available elsewhere for less?  Is 2.5" diameter the way to go?  Lastly, most folks seem to think fiddling with intake mods doesn't do much for this motor.  Do you agree? 

Thanks in advance!

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
I got a question about the alternator wiring on the 2rz.... are the colors on the alternator gonna be the same as on the 3.0l v6? this is all I have left to wire and I dont have a FSM for my 89 truck..... any help will be much appreciated....
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -132
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
jmsdad where did you get the fuel line made? or how about the power steering line.

sorry, haven't been in here for awile...like TimsCrawler said, any hose supply store should be able to make one for you.  I got mine made at Delta Rubber in Modesto.  As for the power steering line, I used the stock Tacoma.

davidr34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 121
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
 had a power steering line built at hydrolics store but they didn't want to build a fuel line so I'll ha e to come up with something. Jmsdad have u got yours running

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 308
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
had a power steering line built at hydrolics store but they didn't want to build a fuel line so I'll ha e to come up with something. Jmsdad have u got yours running

Go to Napa and get some 5/16" fuel hard lines and just re-route it.

howdydude

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Hey All,

New guy here, recently picked up a 2000 4runner 4WD 5 speed with the 3RZ engine, to replace my venerable 1988 22RE 4runner.  (We needed 4 doors to accommodate a new family member.)

This will be my DD, used mainly for light wheeling/exploring/camping on USFS road system here in Oregon, winter travel and occasionally towing a light trailer with my 14' river raft.  Goals are fuel economy and long-term reliability.  My impression is that the 3RZ moves the heavier 3rd gen 4runner a bit better than the 22RE moved the 1st gen, but with significantly better torque, i.e. much less need to downshift on hills.  But improving throttle response and a bit more pep would be nice, if that can be accomplished without major mods.

I've read that this motor responds well to opening up the exhaust a bit.  Current tentative plan is to swap in a later style (2001+) "mini-header" exhaust manifold, an LCE 2.5" free-flow cat made for the 3RZ, and maybe a Magnaflow muffler- I want to keep it pretty quiet.

But I'ld really appreciate input on exhaust system options from all you 3RZ gurus!  Specifically, is the $160 LCE "exclusive" 3RZ cat really exclusive to them?  Or is the same thing available elsewhere for less?  Is 2.5" diameter the way to go?  Lastly, most folks seem to think fiddling with intake mods doesn't do much for this motor.  Do you agree? 

Thanks in advance!

OK well thanks anyway...figured you 3RZ experts might have some opinions about exhausts for this motor but apparently not.

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
Just get a decent high flow cat and a Borla muffler. I have a Downey header with dual stock cats and Borla and a open intake, it is still very quiet.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Ok, I figured that BigMike would likely step in here, but I'll give my two cents, in his absence.

I'd stay away froma 2.5" exhaust. Typically on a 4banger you need some back pressure to get any kind of touque from the motor. So I'd stay with a 2.25". I'm running a 2.25" exhaust and a size 14 Magnaflow muffler. It's not LOUD, but its not quiet either.

As for the LCE cat, sorry dude, but I have not run one and know of no one that has. Let us know what you think.

As for headers, I like a Tri-Y. But other than Northwest Offroad, I know of noone that makes one for the 3RZ. You will be safe with a either LCE or a Thorley. Downey, from what I've heard has or had some issue's regarding the flatness of their mounting flange to the head. PM BigMike on that one.

For added power, always buy Ceramic coated. If possible, buy a Stailess Steel exhaust and then heatwrap the whole thing. Your floor boads will stay cooler, along with you engine bay. You will also add power by doing so, it may not be noticable but the thoery at least is that by keeping your exhaust hot as it travels down the tube it will travel faster wihich inturn will help suck in fresh air into your combustion chamber and produce extra power.

Mufflers, its a muffler. Buy one.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

howdydude

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies!  And that is good advice about the 2.5" vs 2.25" pipe size.  I have heard several opinions on each side of this choice, but for my purposes I think 2.25" is the way to go.

RE a header, I think I'm going to just go with the late (2001+) style stock "mini header" rather than an aftermarket item.  I have heard elsewhere what TR suggests- that tri-y is the way to go, but the NWOR header does not fit 3RZ 4runners according to THIS link http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/reviews/lce_header/.  I've also been told that the "mini-header" is just about as good as an aftermarket header, and they can be had for ab out $80-100 at a junkyard.

Anyway, thanks again folks!  Much appreciated.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Anyone out there get there AC working? I need some info as to what you all did, I don't want to convert to 134 if at all possible, so what I need to know is what compressor or ac clutch you used to make it work?

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Use the stock 22re compressor (3 out of 4 mounting bolts line up).  Use a 5 rib magetic clutch out of a 1st gen mr2 and the stock belt on the 3rz and everything should work line up.  As for the 134a, go down to Napa or Kragen and get a kit to convert the fittings from r12 to 134A and make sure you change out the O-rings to the newer style 134A (should come in the kit).  I haven't got mine running yet, but everything on the A/C looks like it will work fine with the mods I just described. 

P.S.    Just make sure it's a normally aspirated mr2 (4age engine).
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

davidr34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Hey guy got the 3rz running but i have a few problems i need your help with. First it runs fine for about 1 min and then it just starts sputtering and dies. That's the main problem next is that the diagnostic kit i bought the one that big mike uses, i cant get it to work. It always stays softwear not found, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. Lastly does it matter witch heater hose goes where from the block to the cab?

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Did you download the software from the site? As far as the heater hose go I don't think so.

davidr34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
yeah dl it from the site so i dont know im just slow i think, operator error. and i hope not with the heater hose cause ive been running it.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Well, if you get heat it should be fine.

jmsdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -132
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My swap is done!  I hate writing, so here's a short writeup. 

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748354

ChrisA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
So, I just got my 3RZ today for my swap going into my 82 longbed pickup and after researching for a few months there are still a few things that are eluding me.

#1-Purge Canister(charcoal, evap, etc.) Which one should I run. I know they all serve the same purpose but, i've seen some guys run the "EVAP Canisters" that look totally confusing and rather bulky and then I see guys, like bigmike, running what seems to be a simple charcoal canister with 2 lines running to it. What dictates which one to use?

#2- Fuel tank- Once again, what tank to run. Obviously it will need to be an EFI tank, but which one, and why? fabricating new mounts, cutting and moving things to make it fit is not an issue, but i'd like to keep it as bolt in as possible. Does the tank you run have an impact on issue #1?

any(and all) help is appreciated!

thanks

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
So, I just got my 3RZ today for my swap going into my 82 longbed pickup and after researching for a few months there are still a few things that are eluding me.

#1-Purge Canister(charcoal, evap, etc.) Which one should I run. I know they all serve the same purpose but, i've seen some guys run the "EVAP Canisters" that look totally confusing and rather bulky and then I see guys, like bigmike, running what seems to be a simple charcoal canister with 2 lines running to it. What dictates which one to use?

#2- Fuel tank- Once again, what tank to run. Obviously it will need to be an EFI tank, but which one, and why? fabricating new mounts, cutting and moving things to make it fit is not an issue, but i'd like to keep it as bolt in as possible. Does the tank you run have an impact on issue #1?

any(and all) help is appreciated!

thanks

As far as the charcoal canister, I'm going to run the one out of my 85', I'll just have to cap some lines off/reroute some lines. The best option for you would probably be to get a 85-88(9) tank. That pump is sufficient for the swap.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
As far as the charcoal canister, I'm going to run the one out of my 85', I'll just have to cap some lines off/reroute some lines. The best option for you would probably be to get a 85-88(9) tank. That pump is sufficient for the swap.
I am running my 89 v6 charcoal canister with no sensors on my 96 2rz.... and I am using my 89 v6 fuel tank/pump and for fuel lines just build new metal hardlines thay are much better thann having any rubber.... the only rubber line I have is from the front of the frame to the motor that is a factory line.....all works great and you will love the torque....
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

ChrisA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
sweet action! I picked up a charcoal canister out of an early 90's 4runner and will run that. Does anyone know how legit this is in Califonia? if i'm suppose to have the 4-line purge system that is? will they even know?

thanks!

eazy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!

allbones

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Sep '07
  • This is my 2 wheel drive buggy!!
    • View Profile
guys where can i get a 3rz for my 92 exc and does anybody make a wiring harness
He who dies with the most toys wins: 92 toyota climber and bogger, 96 xcr sp 600 polaris snowmobile, 134 cc honda pit bike, 07 honda crf250 dirt bike,06 joyner 250 sand buggy,02 yamaha pw80, 97 yamaha wolverine 4x4 quad and several rc buggies

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
check the parts for sale section. someone has a 3rz for sale
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
Ok, so here's the deal...Ive ALMOST got my wiring harness cut down to bare necessities. Do I have to have the VSS for the engine to run correctly?

OK, basically what do I have to keep and run, and by run I mean run correctly?
That's how I roll

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Ok, so here's the deal...Ive ALMOST got my wiring harness cut down to bare necessities. Do I have to have the VSS for the engine to run correctly?

OK, basically what do I have to keep and run, and by run I mean run correctly?
you might want to double check BMs thread but I think he said he didn't feel the engine put everything out with the VSS disconnected.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Anybody done the balance shaft delete?  The 3RZ I'm fixing for my swap has a screwed up balance shaft so I thought I would just leave them out. 
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
wow...... this should be the only engine swap considered for a toyota.

the info here is phenominal.
Thanks for this BigMike and everyone else.

This is really convincing.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

E-9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Apr '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
I used the plug and play harness from Off Road Solutoins for a 2RZ swap, worked great. Now they are out of business. Does anyone know of another source for a ready made harness? Larry at 704-860-6136

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
painless!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

wslytoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
    • View Profile
painless!
Since when... Painless wouldn't even consider a 5vz harness when I emailed them about that.