Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 896791 times)

bkubisht

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since May '05
  • Just crawling around
    • View Profile
What year range MR2 would that be from?

My research is indicating years 85-89 are interchangeable 4age's.  I really know nothing about the MR2's, so maybe BigMike will chime in to confirm/deny.

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
My research is indicating years 85-89 are interchangeable 4age's.  I really know nothing about the MR2's, so maybe BigMike will chime in to confirm/deny.

Thanks!
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

bkubisht

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • Just crawling around
    • View Profile
Does anyone have tech info on the evap canister?  My donor vehicle was missing it, so I'd like to just run the 22re charcoal canister and trick the 3rz computer with a resistor or something.  Test procedures would be good, tech specs such as signal/resistance/voltage/whatever would be even better for the canister map sensor that reports back to the computer.  Probably requires a page out of the tacoma emissions manual, which I don't have.  I have no idea how this sensor works, whether it's a variable resistor or something less trivial.

Also, I've scanned every page of my '97 tacoma wiring diagram manual that I had to refer to in my swap.  Anyone willing to combine some hi-res jpg's into a pdf please PM me.  It's about 25 files/15 megs uncompressed.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground

should the 3rz have problems pushing around an extended cab 4x4 taco?

I remember my old gen 2 runner with a 22re was a slug when it came to ANY hill and I do not want to deal with that again.

First off the 22R was rated at 95hp the 22RE was rated at 115hp and the 3RZ is rated at 150hp and finally the 5VZ is rated at 190hp.

I have run a 3RZ in my 85 runner since 2000. I have had zero problems with anything. And I swapped everything from the taco over, including the wiring harness and dash. Even the fuel tank. The 3RZ is a great motor and you should not worry about any so called problems.

That said, any 4 cylinder will have problems pushing around large cast iron axles, steel rims and 40" tires. The extra cab taco weights a little more than an 85 4Runner. If you have the chase to purchase a V6 or I4 and you are worried about drivability issures, than do your self a favor and put your own worries to rest and buy the V6.

I love my 4banger, that doesn't mean you will. I plan on putting lots of mods on do you? I have an electric fan full exhaust, K & N air intake, headers and I plan on chipping it, if I dont get a super charger or turbo. What are you going todo???

Questions you need to ask yourself first.

www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

mntgoat

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
Hi. I have a '91 4runner with a 3.0/5spd. The 3.0 is shot. Will the 3RZ bolt up to my tranny?Thanks-----Tom

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Taco runner, I plan to throw some mods at it but I think if I can find the 5vz I will take it but if I run across a real nice taco with the 3rz I will take it.  First thing as soon as I buy any taco I am getting headers/header, new cats, full exhaust, intake, new plugs, wires and intake.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Hi. I have a '91 4runner with a 3.0/5spd. The 3.0 is shot. Will the 3RZ bolt up to my tranny?Thanks-----Tom

With Marlin's help it will. you just need his new bellhousing.  I just got one for my self a few mounths ago. Looks great works great.

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

bkubisht

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • Just crawling around
    • View Profile
What should we run after a 3rz swap for power steering fluid?  The IFS trucks that supply us with histeer power steering boxes call for using ATF.  Tacomas call for P/S fluid.  What determines the required fluid type, the 3rz pump or the IFS box?  Has anyone had bad luck either way?

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
They're the same article. Power steering fluid being packaged in smaller containers and thus higher priced. ATF and power steering fluid are the same animal.

http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diagnostics/transmission-fluid-exchanger.asp?partno=EETF103A&dir=catalog

I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

bkubisht

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • Just crawling around
    • View Profile
Thanks JR.  Certainly learned something from ya.

Oh, and I got my 3rz running tonight!  WOOHOO!

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
They're the same article. Power steering fluid being packaged in smaller containers and thus higher priced. ATF and power steering fluid are the same animal.

http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diagnostics/transmission-fluid-exchanger.asp?partno=EETF103A&dir=catalog

What he said... :think:

Congrats on getting it running Bkubisht.  Tell the family hi from the west coast.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

907yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 153
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
I want one!!!
86 reg cab turbo,99runner,95pickup all 4x4
09 honda rincon 680cc 4x4
2000 yamaha badger 80cc (for the kids)
Chicken nutt bread!!!

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain

if that's so then the rumor about putting power steering in a mini powersteering box would ruining the bearings and leak after time is all b/s?

as i've been running ps in my 92 ifs box and have yet to ruin the bearings.
i love your sig your down to a half of a maverick

73 Maverick(jointly owned w/ lil bro)
64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
92 Toyota p/u 4x4 (dead) resurrecting underway
72 Skylark (dead) resurrecting underway
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

bkubisht

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • Just crawling around
    • View Profile
Well, since this thread is back to the top it needs to get back to 3rz tech too.  I got the A/C working on my swap.  The tach signal from the 3rz seems to work fine with the 22re A/C amplifier.

There's two A/C related wires on my '97 taco ECU.  One is blue with yellow stripe (L-Y) and one is blue with black strip (L-B).

The L-Y one is how the amplifier sends the idle-up signal to the ECU.  It's a 'pull-down' signal, where if you ground it then that's the signal for idle-up.  The 22RE idle-up signal is the same, except the 3RZ ECU is too sensitive for the 22RE amplifier.  When the system is off (not idled-up) the 22re amplifier gives about a 1200 ohm connection to ground, and it changes to about 140 ohms when on and idled up.  The 3rz ECU is so sensitive that it even sees the 1200 ohms as enough pull-down to signal an idle-up.  The fix is to just put a relay inline on this idle-up line, and activate the relay with the wire that drives the compressor.  Without this relay mod, my ECU will run the engine at about 1800rpms for the first few seconds after it's fired, and then slowly adjusts it down to 1200 rpms.  It never goes under that unless the L-Y connection gets broken.  When it's broken (by the relay in my case) it idles right back down to about 750 like it should.

I don't know exactly what the L-B wire is.  The diagram indicates it's some sort of a pulldown signal that ECU sends the amplifier (the reverse of the L-Y wire).  All I can think of is the 3rz ECU can tell the 3rz amplifier to stop running the A/C based on engine temp or inability to maintain idle speed.

There's what I've learned, now happy summertime wheeling!

ted12

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Just got a 2rz installed in my 85 extended cab.  It seems to run great but it is idling high(1800 rpms) and the timing is advanced (15 degrees).  The motor is not throwing any codes, can't find any vacuum leaks, everything else seems to check out.  Has any body had a similar issue or have any ideas? 

bkubisht

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • Just crawling around
    • View Profile
Did you connect either of the A/C wires to anything?  That can cause a high idle, see my post above.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
 :beerchug:

ted12

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Finally got past the idle issue and onto the next one.  Thanks bkubisht for the AC suggestion.  Connecting the neutral safety switch to a hot got past the advanced timing and dropped the idle around 500 rpm.  It is now throwing the following:
P0335 Crankshaft position sensor "A" Circuit
P0340 Camshaft position sensor "A" Circuit bank1 or single sensor
I checked all the sensons and they checkout OK.  Also checked to see if the ECU was getting data and it is.  I don't have an o-scope so can't really see what the data looks like.  Looking at the ECU schematic it all looks straight forward but I still have a bunch of wires on the IK2 plug that I cant figure out.  Any suggestions on these codes any body?

Toddy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Just got a 99 3RZ. It is missing the dash wiring harness. What all is in this that is needed to get the engine running? I am gonna look for one but if I just need a couple wires I am gonna get some small spade connectors and use them on the pins I need. I will probably be back shorty to pick your guys brains when I get it in if I have any trouble.

Thanks Toddy

bkubisht

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • Just crawling around
    • View Profile
I'm told that the connectors can be bought that go on the harness, and you can populate them with wires.  A toyota tech told me this.  The book with the connector part numbers is a dealership asset, but they "should" be able to help you out if the parts counter guys aren't too lame.  If you can, go buy the connector and pin receptacles that go onto the ECU from the dash harness.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm told that the connectors can be bought that go on the harness, and you can populate them with wires.  A toyota tech told me this.  The book with the connector part numbers is a dealership asset, but they "should" be able to help you out if the parts counter guys aren't too lame.  If you can, go buy the connector and pin receptacles that go onto the ECU from the dash harness.

The book bkubisht is talking about comes with the wire harness repair kit that the parts guys have probably never seen.  I went through it and found out the part numbers for e-locker connectors and terminal pigtails so I could make my own harness.  Use the book to identify the connector you want, then it will tell you what type of terminals you will need with all the part #'s neccessary.  It's a pain in the butt to figure out, even with a the book, but it save me some time of driving down to the junkyard and hunting for something that might not be there.

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

mr_will

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 29
  • Member since Sep '07
  • All OK Jump Master! AIRBORNE!
    • View Profile
I have a 91 4runner 3.0 5 speed.
I have read this thread a couple times and searched. I have a 3.0 that either has a HG or a burnt valve. It has almost 170k on it. I have been looking at just getting a low mileage 3.0, but I found out about the 3.4 swap. THEN I found this 3rz I am very interested in this swap.
I like the idea of a strong 4 cylinder to have some room in the engine bay. Plus loose a few pounds off the front. The 3rz is also a bit cheaper than the 3.4 from what I have found.
I am not new to fab work or engine swaps but I am new to toyota's. The wiring really dont bother me. All the friggin vacuum lines on a Toyota engine bother me. I come mainly from domestics and a few imports.
I have a few questions.
Is there any software that can tune the stock ecm, say you want to delete EGR, purge and evap, or tune it for a turbo or just tune it in general?
Has anyone completed a 3.0 to 3rz?
For the guys that got AC working what was involved in it.
How about cruise control, anyone got theirs to work? This is not important but would be nice.

sorry for the newb questions, but I want to start collecting parts soon. if you thought the 3.0 was gutless try it with only 5 cylinders haha

U.S. Army Retired
NRA Life Member
Owner: Crankgoboom Racing

James G. Bilkey - "You will never be the person you can be if pressure, tension, and discipline are taken out of your life."

mtnyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
I just picked up a 3rz out of a 97 4runner and have a couple questions:

I need to get a manual trans ecm. Does it matter if it is 2wd/4wd? Car-part.com has only one option for
a 97 4runner, but a 97 taco is a split year ecm pre 5/97 and post 6/97. Is there a difference and is there
a way to tell the production date from the VIN?

Big Mike posted that he was going to do a 2nd gen 3rz swap in "Rocky's" truck in his thread. Does anyone
know if there is a write up on this conversion on here?

Did BigMike ever post up his wiring notes?

With the wiring, is the general idea that you are going to remove unneeded wires and then wire things like the stock headlights in to the taco fuse box?
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2007, 02:18:53 PM by mtnyota »

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
mntyota,  try looking back towards the beginning of this thread for wirring notes.

As for the ecm, get a 2wd 2rz ecm for whatever generation your motor is.  Hint: the first generation have a distributor, the second gen have 2 coil packs on the side of the head, the 3rd gen have 4 coil packs - one on top of each spark plug.

As for the wirring, you might want to check out Off Road Solutions' website.  They are now selling the wirring you need to make it a plug and play operation.

mtnyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
So the 2rz and 3rz ecms are the same?

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
No, but close enough that a smog machine can't tell the difference.  I believe BigMike is running one in his and those are a lot easier to find, so I went with one too.

mtnyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Cool thanks for the info

bkubisht

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • Just crawling around
    • View Profile
mntyota, here's the splice notes from my swap.  Mine was from a 1997 taco so it's probably close to the same as yours.  Remove the ".txt" from the filename and open in M$ Excel.  There were a few discrepancies in the wiring diagrams, so for me every splice ended up being a full wire tracing instead of completely trusting the docs.

Edit:  fixed the spreadsheet.  now remove the .bmp instead of .txt.
Edit:  Updated spreadsheet for A/C idle-up 4wd switch #1, and VSS color

« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2008, 07:22:09 PM by bkubisht »

mtnyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Does anyone know if CA and NON-CA ecm's different. I got almost everything wired up and need to get a manual trans ecm ordered. It's gettin close.

Thanks

bkubisht

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • Just crawling around
    • View Profile
It may depend on year.  My '97 wiring diagram didn't have CA-specific notes, so I'd say that year's ECUs were the same.