Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 911379 times)

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
so i've been doing alot of work to my truck the past few months. i've fixed a bunch of things i half assd when i put the engine in. when i put the 2rz in i made my own harness basically, wired in all my own relays, push button start, switched after market fuel pump. basically if it wasn't necessary i didn't hook it up, now im wondering if the reason i have so little power is because i have no o2 sensors. i really just trying to ask is putting an o2 sensor in gonna make a dramatic difference. im not putting a cat in it, so i would just be running the sensor closer to the manifold.
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,557
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
I would think it would make a huge difference. That tells the engine how much fuel is burning and if it is rich or lean. Also, i would think not having one would give you a check engine light?
If you see it, its for sale.

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
like i said push button start, toggle switch for ignition, toggle for fuel pump and as for gauges all i have is aftermarket oil press., water temp, and volts gauges. my engine is probably throwing at least a dozen codes
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

Ironloki

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 87
  • Member since Dec '09
  • I cant drive 55.. literally.... its so slow
    • View Profile
If you stop evolving, you cease to exist.

Project bella👇
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64106.0;highlight=bella

DieselD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 409
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Here is the mount that I made, for a 88' pickup. Im a little worried the poly bushing will be rather stiff, so i might switch them to rubber. If you watch the video the engine doesn't move at all! Little more welding needed on the mounts. But i think it looks awesome.

yes they will be stiff but will not move in a rollover! they transmit alot of vibration and noise too but worth the motor not falling out when you flop it over. pretty much the same design as I built for my rig

85yotabox

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
what is everyone using for a lower radiator hose?  i havent seen any info on here about it....
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!

potter85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since May '09
  • complete disregard for sheet metal.....
    • View Profile
i am using the original hose that came off of the 3rz motor
3rz in the making

looking for 38s

2 tundra 4.7l v8 soon to be sas'ed

FireGuysRacing

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 271
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
Ok, here it is for you that want to know. The 3RZ Dyno results.
Spec's are:
95.5 year model Taco Engine
Stock flywheel and clutch, upgraded pressure plate
R151F Tranny/ By Marlin
Dual Cases
5.29 V6 Rear
37" x 12.50 R15 MTR's
American Eagle 15x8 Aluminum wheels

Dynoed at the wheels

Red line is the stock numbers
Green line is LCE series 1 cam /both intake and exhaust and stock manifold and no cam gear
Blue line is LCE cam and Doug Thorley headers
Black line is LCE cam and Doug Thorley and LCE cam gear

So it looks like we may have time to get the race truck on the dyno before this next race on Feb 19th - 21st.  When I get the dyno sheets I will post it up here for you guys.  I don't know what happened to the last dyno sheets I had but we were in the 140+ hp and I don't totally remember the Tq numbers but they were pretty good.  This is all to the ground with 33x10.50R15 Baja T/A's through a stock R150 at the time and a Ford 9" with 5.43:1 gearing.  This time the same tires, Marlin's R150 with R140 inerds race tranny, and when we just recently rebuilt the 9" we dropped 5.83:1 gearing in it knowing we will be switching to 35" tires soon!

Jason

FireGuysRacing

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
It's scheduled for Feb 13th.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
NICE, can't wait!
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
i am using the original hose that came off of the 3rz motor

x2

kauaikid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Which gas tank would be the best to swap into my 84  single cab longbed carbed truck for this swap?  Will the donor tank(99 tacoma) be an easier swap than a older efi pickup?  Is it possible just to run an external electric pump and the stock tank?  Thanks
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2010, 02:56:48 PM by kauaikid »
84 longbed, lc eng. top end kit, dual cases w/ 4.7 in rear, arb's front w/high pinion and rear with v6 diff., 5.29's w/ 35s, all-pro long travel 4" and much more

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,557
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
I would go with an 84 EFI tank
If you see it, its for sale.

85yotabox

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
im not positive but i belive a tank out os a second gen efi truck would bolt right up.  i had an 85 ext cab carberated and i just got an efi tank from the same truck but efi and it fits perfect, and the fuel lines work fine too. as for the external fuel pump....i was wondering the same thing.... :headscratch:
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!

kauaikid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
thanks
« Reply #494 on: Feb 07, 2010, 11:33:18 PM »
thanks guys! I'm in the process of gathering my parts so this is a big help. I found a company that makes a plug and play harnesses for $525.  They require both full harnesses and I was told they create one complete harness that will allow a factory like conversion.  They're company name is pheonixtunning.  Thanks again.
84 longbed, lc eng. top end kit, dual cases w/ 4.7 in rear, arb's front w/high pinion and rear with v6 diff., 5.29's w/ 35s, all-pro long travel 4" and much more

FireGuysRacing

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
So we went to the dyno today and I was wrong on what we had on the dyno from over a year ago....  Our first pull today was putting 125hp and around 140ft lbs of tq to the ground which was right about where we were two years ago.  By the end of our tuning we had put down 138hp and had dropped about 3ft lbs of tq but opened up the tq curve to last for about 1500 more rpms!  Our previous pulls were only going up to 6300 rpm and today we were able to run it up to 6900 rpm!  At 6500 rpm we had a 25hp gain from before!  When they email the info to me I will post up the curves.

Jason

FireGuysRacing

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Fire Guys Racing
Here is the sheet I scanned into the computer!  The numbers are cool to see...... the feeling you get with your head against the seat off the start tells the whole story!  I can't wait to race next weekend!

Jason

kauaikid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
anyone decide to run an external electric fuel pump rather than switching the tank out from a carb'd pickup.   I'm gonna start this swap but i already have an external electric pump and was curious to see whether or not i could still use it.  Any advice or info would be awesome. 

Another question i had was if i wanted to build my own fuse/relay box to replace the 3rz stocker where would i tie the existing wiring into.  The donor fuse box is broken and i can't grasp where it would tie into my 84 toyota harness.  I'm obviously not to knowledgeable with vehicle wiring so any help would be cool. I'm hoping to keep my dash harness and just utilize the motor harness from the donor.

Thanks

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
u can use an external fuel injection fuel pump

kauaikid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks, are there any requirements as far as psi for the external pump?  I'm running a ZOR bosch mechanical fuel injection now so the fuel pump is off of early vw rabbits which i was told puts out roughly 90 psi.  Is this gonna be to much?

kauaikid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
never mind I just scored an efi tank.  Thanks

85yotabox

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
not sure if this was clearly covered but this is how you cancel the park/neutral saftey switch in an '01 tacoma 3rz A/T.
this plug runs to the passanger side of the tranny. just tie these wires together and the computer thinks its always in park.
hope this helpes someone!
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!

kauaikid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
has anyone had to deal with a engine harness that had been cut.  I got mine from a donor vehicle in which someone with no sense cut the harness right before it enters the firewall.  I'm now gonna try to reconnect it but many of the color coded wires are duplicated.  I've got some wiring diagrams but was looking for advice.  For instance I have about 5-6 red/white wires and a bunch of brwn/blk wires.  Do I have to open the engine harness to trace these wires to their destination?  Any info on reconnecting this thing would be terrific. 

Another question i got is has anyone just wired in the necessary fuses and relays from the tacoma fuse box rather than swapping the whole thing and if so how would i go about it.  I read 4rnricks posts on this forum and got an idea where to hook up the wiring from the donor ecu to the existing wiring for gauges but i'm stumped on where to wire in these relays and fuses.  As you can probably tell i've no experience with vehicle wiring but after receiving a 800.00 quote to have a harness made i'm leaning towards giving it a try.

Thanks

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
what yr 3rz do u have?
ive got a complete motor harness for 97 with a 5 spd ecu for sale

kauaikid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
it's a 1999 3rz-fe so i'm guessing it's not gonna work, thanks though.  How are those mounts coming along?

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Here is the sheet I scanned into the computer!  The numbers are cool to see...... the feeling you get with your head against the seat off the start tells the whole story!  I can't wait to race next weekend!

Jason

[/

These numbers look pretty good, like to see the spec's for the rig and what mods to the motor. Plus I hope you will do some Dyno pulls with the 35's when you get them on.

tasherman

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Best donor vehicle? I've read this and other threads and I'm clear on most of the details of this swap (great info BTW). But I'm not clear which vehicle would be the best donor. Obviously a 5sp w59, but does it matter if it's 2WD or 4WD (I see inputs into the ECU for 4WD, 4L, and t-case neutral)? Is this an issue for California SMOG or performance? I've read about the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gen wiring differences and the T100 oil pan, but are there other issues that would make one donor more or less desirable than another? A summary of the pros and cons would be helpful. The target vehicle is an 86 Xtra cab SR5 4WD w/22R-E EFI & W56.

Thanks

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The main issue is cost.  I thought I got a good deal with a 3rd gen low mileage 3rz and all the accessories with it, but I had to change the harness and the computer to get it to pass California smog (and I still haven't ran it by a smog ref yet so there is no guarantees it will pass).  I will also have to pay to have the exhaust re-routed since the smog laws changed this year.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

tasherman

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
The main issue is cost.  I thought I got a good deal with a 3rd gen low mileage 3rz and all the accessories with it, but I had to change the harness and the computer to get it to pass California smog (and I still haven't ran it by a smog ref yet so there is no guarantees it will pass).  I will also have to pay to have the exhaust re-routed since the smog laws changed this year.
Is that because your donor wasn't a California vehicle?

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
No, it's because my donor didn't have the right setup for using a evap system with a stock '85 gas tank.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"