Author Topic: Chim's 92/95 build..scratch that.. now a 91 :)  (Read 37527 times)

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1254
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
Chim's 92/95 build..scratch that.. now a 91 :)
« on: Aug 08, 2009, 07:25:15 PM »
So I sold my 85 4Runner back in late 2007... This was the build... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=14309.0

Pics...

I really miss my runner and have had several non-toyota vehicles in the last two years..  honda, vw's, chevy. and never really happy.. so hopefully I can stick with this project and keep it for a while.. I learned a lot building my 85, and know exactly what I want for my new 92..
So here is what Im starting with... These are the two pics that were on the craigslist ad...

It is pretty hammered.. but.. here is the good part.. it was only $800.. and it has lots of decent parts.. to start off with.. this runner came from the factory with a V6 and an auto trans... the original owner paid to have the dealership put in a 22re and 5 speed at 100k... now the runner has 166k.. the seller was asking $1500, But when I called to come look at it he said it started blowing white smoke and that the head gasket was bad... Im not too worried about it because I bought my 85 with a bad head gasket and fixed it and it ran like a champ.. Good thing about this 92 is that it still fires up and runs smooth.. so I believe with just a new gasket it will be great... So i just towed it today to my uncles where it will start getting torn apart next weekend..

First thing I will do is start tearing it down to get the body off.. then I will clean up the chassis..  fix the motor up.. and start looking for a donor body...
More pics to come next weekend..  This wont be an amazing fast build as i want to try and build this one without going into debt! So first priority is getting it running good and reliable and the mods with start coming afterwards  :thumbs: :yesnod:

89sastoyo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 148
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Re: Back in it.. Chim's 92 build
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2009, 09:19:41 PM »
besides the pass side that 4runner is pretty clean its pretty quick to for what it is. I'm glad to see its being built, do you live near where you bought it?
89 extra cab stock on 1 tons.
83 rolled with built toy axles
92 2wd DD
first gen cab

Check out the build.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56487.0

chim [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2009, 09:22:54 PM »
Im in Oregon City.. he said he messed it up on the 4th of July

Halladay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '09
  • HALLADAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2009, 09:31:22 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA thats one of my buddys old runner that thing was so nice when he got it and we took it out wheeling and he trashed it haha. I love the clutch in that truck its so nice. check this out. I raped that passanger tire thats why its all caster'ed out. haha that truck has been rode hard and put away wet! lol i wanna see this thing built. i was trying to convince brady (the buyer) to let me and 89sastoy to sas it, dual cases, lock it front and rear and get rid of that rear axel and convert it to leafs. he didnt want to spend the money though after he beat it up. im watching this build. what are your plans?

chim [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2009, 10:04:36 PM »
Those pics are awesome! For the price I couldnt pass it up.. and I am already checking out a clean shell tomorrow thats local for 600.. so after I get the body off I will get the chassis cleaned up, then swap the body over.. once its street driveable again I will start getting some parts together for the standard mods.. solid axle.. duals, lockers.. possibly 4-link in the rear.. I figured I can still use the red doors as half doors.. as far as the engine.. I will get a new head gasket and then do a timing chain just in case.. it fires up and runs good even though the head gasket is bad.. What clutch does it have? He gave me a spare clutch with it.. it looks like a cheaper centerforce... what other info can you tell me about it? Was he just a bad driver?!?!?

Halladay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '09
  • HALLADAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2009, 10:32:15 PM »
there is a centerforce hd in it now with a resurfaced flywheel at .026 he drove it hard and bounced off rev limiter the whole time while he wheeled so thats the reason for the blown head gaskit. he is more into cars he has had some sick cars that were fast as Shi* like a turbo talon civics, supra ext. it has 4.11 gears we checked them out when we welded the rear end. it has a brand new driverside cv boot. (not axel) that dont matter though if your choppin that ifs crap out. 2 inch wheel spacers front and rear need to go because with those wide tires and offset rims it is wider than a 1 ton axel. lol i was with him on the 4th when that runner got screwed up. the 4wd broke i dont know what happend it just wouldnt in-gauge. and the fan wore a hole through the intake tube. thats why its got duck tape on it. Pretty sure the motor is stock besides the cold air. let me know if you need help buildin this truck im willing to help out and live near oregon city.

89sastoyo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2009, 10:41:58 PM »
haha yeah not a bad drive but never wheeled before... and was wheeling with semi built trucks tryin to keep up I wasn't with him when he got all the body damage. I welded the rear third its welded good thats the sixth or seventh diff i welded its a v6 third that truck had a 3.0 but was swapped out for the re. everything worked good untill that one trip it kinda all went down hill but im sure you can get it all legit pretty easily and cheap. If you need parts hit me up to i have a bunch of parts.
92 2wd DD
first gen cab

Check out the build.

chim [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2009, 10:49:37 PM »
I could have gone without knowing the rev limiter story! :( oh well.. .it runs smooth and doesn't have hardly any valve noise..  Yeah the spacers have to go for sure.. I might save one set for when I sas..  but that wont be for a while..  I was thinking if the ifs was too jacked that the donor vehicle parts would help me get by till the swap..  it wouldnt go into 4 wheel when I picked it up either.. so I popped the shifter boots out and the lock clip holding the transfer case shifter in place was pretty much off.. so I used a screw driver and put it in low and drove it up the trailer just fine. The fan is not a bid deal.. I have a spare one.. and im thinking of doing a new intake line so it stays on the passenger side and doesn't cross in front of the engine.. I basically bought it for the engine and trans and to get it on the street I dont foresee having more that 1600 into it..  I should be able to sell some stuff off it as well like extra coil spacers, yakima rack, HID's... some interior.. then scrap the body for sheet metal and get about another 75 for that.. Thanks for the offer to help, looks like you did some nice work on your build-up!

chim [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2009, 10:54:50 PM »
haha yeah not a bad drive but never wheeled before... and was wheeling with semi built trucks tryin to keep up I wasn't with him when he got all the body damage. I welded the rear third its welded good thats the sixth or seventh diff i welded its a v6 third that truck had a 3.0 but was swapped out for the re. everything worked good untill that one trip it kinda all went down hill but im sure you can get it all legit pretty easily and cheap. If you need parts hit me up to i have a bunch of parts.

Yeah can I understand the inexperience part.. he seemed like a decent guy.. its funny though the things that sellers dont tell ya when you are looking to buy the vehicle ;)
I will check with you when I need some parts for sure..  I already have a front axle lined up.. but may need another transfer case in a little while depending on what donor vehicle I end up getting... the transfer case didnt look like a standard 4cyl gear driven case so I will need to run some numbers and see what exactly I got as far as trans and t-case.

Halladay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '09
  • HALLADAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 08, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
for sure man anytime. oh yea i forgot to tell you this too he took it to the dunes and jumped it hahaha and tore off the slave cyilinder so check that out and make sure its all legit. he might have fixed it but idk. lol sorry for all the bad news. its pretty cool though for us to watch our buddy sell his rig and watch someone buy it and build it! good luck man. lets us know if you got any questions  :beerchug:

-john

chim [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2009, 11:07:50 PM »
for sure man anytime. oh yea i forgot to tell you this too he took it to the dunes and jumped it hahaha and tore off the slave cyilinder so check that out and make sure its all legit. he might have fixed it but idk. lol sorry for all the bad news. its pretty cool though for us to watch our buddy sell his rig and watch someone buy it and build it! good luck man. lets us know if you got any questions  :beerchug:

-john

crap! All the bad news comes out tonight! It must be ok because I drove it up the trailer.. drove it off... and drove it to its resting place for a while..   This thing just needs some love.. someone to love it and tell it that it will be cool again.. haha :D

Halladay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '09
  • HALLADAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2009, 11:12:43 PM »
it will look 1000000000000000000000 times better when those 36/15.5/15 gumbo monster mudders are off haha give it some tlc and it will look good again. to bad you cant keep that body that would be sweet, its just beat and a rock anchor but it would be wheelin a caddy when its done lol 4 doors= 4 hot chicks and a cooler of keystone!  :gap:

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2009, 03:45:42 PM »
halladay is that the runner you wanted to trade my for truck?

Halladay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '09
  • HALLADAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 09, 2009, 04:18:08 PM »
ya it is

89sastoyo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 09, 2009, 07:59:09 PM »
dude this kids making it sound worse then it is that kid didnt rally on it that bad and he didnt jump it at the dunes. It is a nice truck just needs that body lift off and the head gasket done and it drives really nice and straight it wasn't beat on by any means.
92 2wd DD
first gen cab

Check out the build.

chim [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 09, 2009, 10:26:37 PM »
Yeah that body lift and the body itself are coming off! I just found a 95 4runner today for $600 with no engine and trans and ifs already removed.. it was actually a school project that suffered the consequences of budget cuts.. its fully loaded and perfectly straight.. so Im pretty stoked.. I will be towing it home this Friday so I should have pics up then as well :)

Im still debating whether or not I need to do a timing chain on the motor as preventative maintenance while doing the head gasket...

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 09, 2009, 11:26:08 PM »
thank god i said no lol

89sastoyo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 10, 2009, 12:02:52 AM »
yeah i would do it while your there just because there prone to going out. and it would suck to have to tear back into it.

And as far as that t case goes its deffinetly some foreign matter i ahve never seen before it kinda looks like a 4 cyl auto t case but then again it almost looks v6 but its not chain drivven i dont think
92 2wd DD
first gen cab

Check out the build.

chim [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 10, 2009, 07:40:52 AM »
t-case was all good.. just the handle wasnt buttoned down like it should have been...  its a chain driven t-case, and I will probably just put a gear driven in front of it when I swap duals..

Halladay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '09
  • HALLADAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 10, 2009, 08:36:18 AM »
adam you have no idea what your talking about he did jump it. he told me! :therethere: and max told me and he was ridding with him.

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 10, 2009, 08:45:37 AM »
i drove past this truck siting on the side of the road about 2 weeks ago lol

chim [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 10, 2009, 08:48:44 AM »
Its too bad this runner is getting a bad rap at this moment.. because besides the body.. it has a good engine/trans/transfercase, and plenty of good parts to sell.. Im confident that after I take the running gear I can sell and scrap the rest and make back at least half the money.. so 400 for running gear..  cant beat that!

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 10, 2009, 08:50:07 AM »
Its too bad this runner is getting a bad rap at this moment.. because besides the body.. it has a good engine/trans/transfercase, and plenty of good parts to sell.. Im confident that after I take the running gear I can sell and scrap the rest and make back at least half the money.. so 400 for running gear..  cant beat that!

that is a pretty good deal :beer:

Halladay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '09
  • HALLADAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 10, 2009, 09:44:39 AM »
no you got a good deal on it for sure i was just letting you know the history on it. lol

89sastoyo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 10, 2009, 05:13:16 PM »
I agree and sorry to thread jack :)

Im looking forward to seeing someone build this aswell
92 2wd DD
first gen cab

Check out the build.

chim [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 10, 2009, 05:20:56 PM »
I agree and sorry to thread jack :)

Im looking forward to seeing someone build this aswell

Its all good.. you didnt thread jack :)

89sastoyo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 10, 2009, 07:16:27 PM »
When are you gonna start workin on it?

Let me know when or if you ever need help I can swing by
92 2wd DD
first gen cab

Check out the build.

chim [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 10, 2009, 08:04:23 PM »
I was planning on this friday, but Im towing the 95 home this friday.. so maybe the next weekend.. the only problem is that its out at my uncles in Boring/ Damascus because I have no where to work on it here at my apartment... but hit me up if you ever get bored!

89sastoyo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Aug 11, 2009, 10:00:55 PM »
for sure thats not that far like 20 thirty minutes
92 2wd DD
first gen cab

Check out the build.

chim [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
Re: Back in it.. Chim's 92/95 build
« Reply #29 on: Aug 14, 2009, 08:51:28 PM »
I picked up my $600 donor runner..  which really isnt a donor.. its the platform..