Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 916869 times)

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Mmm ok cool I'll just instal my 02s then, how much are new ones anyways?

Benji

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
Question about dash harnesses... I need the E5 plug and that is it from a dash harness. are all dash harnesses the same on the 3rz/2rz trucks? everybody i have talked to said either would work, but i just need to make sure before i spend $150 on a dash harness just to get a few plugs and wires out of it...
Zucoma
3rz-duals- 4D's..

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
call www.toyonlyswaps.com they can get them for around 60 bucks i think

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Question about dash harnesses... I need the E5 plug and that is it from a dash harness. are all dash harnesses the same on the 3rz/2rz trucks? everybody i have talked to said either would work, but i just need to make sure before i spend $150 on a dash harness just to get a few plugs and wires out of it...

Depends on your year model engine.  I noticed that Toyota moved things around a little in the connectors.  You would prob be fine with a similar year model, but you may have to move pins around on a different year model from the ECU/engine. 

I have a '98 3RZ in my truck.  And the OBD2 link was busted from the donor truck.  I snagged a connector from a 2000 2RZ Taco, and the wires were the same color, but in the wrong place in that OBD2 connector. I swapped some pins and all was good.

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
call www.toyonlyswaps.com they can get them for around 60 bucks i think

Negative. Just called today as my brother in law needs one. We were quoted $160

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
mmm weird

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile

If your just wanting the connector and you will modify wiring, yes, all the 2/3RZ have that E5 for their computer.  So find a T100, Runner, Taco, and cut that sucker out, and get to work!

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Looking for some help to finish up the fuel lines. Hoping one of you ran into this issue. I need a 8mm female fitting with a 5/16" barbed fitting to go onto the fuel tank high pressure hose so I can mount my last fuel line.

I found one at my local fluid connectors but its only a 1/4" barb. Would this be an issue as its smaller?

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Got another questions regarding VSS on my 1980 SR5 model. Everyone has mentioned there is a VSS wire at the cluster, but none of the diagrams I have actually list what wire it is. There are two prongs just above where the speedo cable plugs into. One is ground (white/black) and the other green/blue.. I'm thinking this green/blue is it, but have nothing to reference from.

Sure wish the first gen's were documented better.

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
I believe that the grn/bl is the correct wire.  I can barely remember from my swap, but I believe that's it.  Although mine is an '84...  And I wouldn't recommend using the 1/4" barb fitting with a 5/16" hose for fuel supply.  The main reason is you would be bottle-necking(limiting) the fuel to 1/4".  You may as well have run 1/4" line throughout.  And the 3RZ likes the 5/16"(8mm) size for supplying fuel, and 1/4" for return.... Just my suggestions though.

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
I believe that the grn/bl is the correct wire.  I can barely remember from my swap, but I believe that's it.  Although mine is an '84...  And I wouldn't recommend using the 1/4" barb fitting with a 5/16" hose for fuel supply.  The main reason is you would be bottle-necking(limiting) the fuel to 1/4".  You may as well have run 1/4" line throughout.  And the 3RZ likes the 5/16"(8mm) size for supplying fuel, and 1/4" for return.... Just my suggestions though.

Thank you. I don't plan on using the 1/4" adapter unless someone told me it would be fine. My thoughts are exactly what you mentioned.

I've got my wiring near completion. However I'm having confusion on 4 wires off the IK2 plug. The diagram I have doesn't match the plug I have. Plus I'm having a problem understanding what needs to be done.

Page 4 on this .pdf is the section I'm having trouble with:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Wiring_Manual/03tacoma/systemci/019ecs3r.pdf

My #5 IK2 is Red not brown, Regardless I assume this goes to ground as per diagram?
Next is #22 IK2. Mine is Green/red. Diagram shows it goes to a O2 sensor.
However, my #12IK2 black and my #14IK2 Brown are different colors then listed and also go into the shielded gray wire..

If someone can help me iron this confusion out, my wires are done and I can list my findings.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
OK I know most guys are just using the early wireing and hooking the 3RZ engine harness to that but I am using the entire doner harness and just hooking up the stuff to the rear like the fuel pump, fuel sending unit and tails, etc.  My problem is that I don't have a vehicle to look at to tell which wilres from the 3RZ stuff power these things.  Does anyone have a harness they could look at or a diagram to tell what wires do what? 

The doner stuff if from a '98 4Runner.

I am working on the fuel related wires specifically right now.  I know I need an acc hot for the fuel pump but there are like 6 acc hots headed to the rear... Which one is fuel pump? Does it matter?

What color wires in a '98 harness send the fuel sending unit signals to the '98 cluster?
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I think I got it figured out.  Used an ohm meter to trace wires and looked over a few diagrams I had in cheesy manuals.

The fuel pump power source that was suposed to be blue is grey though...
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Capt. Crawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
I think I got it figured out.  Used an ohm meter to trace wires and looked over a few diagrams I had in cheesy manuals.

The fuel pump power source that was suposed to be blue is grey though...

I am working on wiring a '98 3RZ. Fuel pump power is (L-O) or "Blue with Orange stripe". On my 4Runner anyways.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I'll check it out...
– Steve McQueen

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Thank you. I don't plan on using the 1/4" adapter unless someone told me it would be fine. My thoughts are exactly what you mentioned.

I've got my wiring near completion. However I'm having confusion on 4 wires off the IK2 plug. The diagram I have doesn't match the plug I have. Plus I'm having a problem understanding what needs to be done.

Page 4 on this .pdf is the section I'm having trouble with:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Wiring_Manual/03tacoma/systemci/019ecs3r.pdf

My #5 IK2 is Red not brown, Regardless I assume this goes to ground as per diagram?
Next is #22 IK2. Mine is Green/red. Diagram shows it goes to a O2 sensor.
However, my #12IK2 black and my #14IK2 Brown are different colors then listed and also go into the shielded gray wire..

If someone can help me iron this confusion out, my wires are done and I can list my findings.

Got this figured out. I finally went to the inlaws shop and used his all data to get what I needed. It was spot on! I should have done it sooner but didn't realize it was in color until today. I had looked up schedmatics for my 80 in the pass and it was like reading japanese lol.

I'll get my wiring info up soon for my 01 3rz

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
As Promised, here's what I've narrowed down my wiring too.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
What is everybody doing for a lower radiator hose?  I use the Tacoma part and cut a bit off the bottom to fit on the older radiator but it rides touching the side of the alt and almost rubs on the steering rag joint.  I'm not happy with it like this because down the road something is going to get chaffed for sure.

I have the horseshoe shaped metal tube that goes arond the back side of the alt off a 22r that looked like it could be modified to work.  Anybody do anything else?

Here is a pic of what I'm disgusted about...  The other is just a gratuitous engine bay shot.  I think they help, I've looked at alot of them.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:12:50 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
I plan to tackle mine this weekend, I'll let you know what I run into.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
So do I, I'll race you.  :)  I'm so close to driving this thing it's making me nuts!
– Steve McQueen

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
On the lower radiator hose, I routed it like you did, but cut a chunk off of an old hose that was a larger diameter and slipped it over to protect it in that spot. Def not a perfect solution, but I bet it will take years to wear through.

Rcbro: Is there any way you could use alldata to get me a 2002 tacoma 3rz efi wiring diagram? I need one, but don't want to buy a manual just for the few wires I need to find... My 03 swap is much much more complicated than my 02 swap, since they decided to tie one more of the ecu connectors into the body harness.
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
Also, anyone looking to make a nice cheap air intake setup should go to the junkyard and look for pieces of duramax or powerstroke cold side turbo piping. Its usually in the back of the trucks after they pull the motors. I bought 4 pieces from a local yard for $20, and made a really nice intake setup by cutting the bends I needed out of the pipe and using the silicone connectors. I think its the ford piping that has a silicone reducer that fits the throttle body, the other connectors fit the maf and a universal cone filter perfectly. Only thing you need to buy is a maf to universal filter adapter.

Excuse the mess, the only thing I hate more than mud is washing my truck...

this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I just pulled it out of the garage for the first joy ride, no fenders, top, tail lights and wires hanging everywhere.  All I can say is wow, what a difference compared to a 22re.  This thing has BALLS!  I can do a good burn out from a roll on dry pavement in 1st and chirp second easy with no popping of the clutch or anything.  I don't know it the port and pollich and the balance shaft delete are coming into play here or if these are just that good anyway but I am extremely happy with this swap. I haven't even got on it much yet.  Can't wait to get it completely road worthy...
– Steve McQueen

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
I used the stock tacoma hose up top, but since I didn't have the lower hose I ordered this piece. Its suppose to be a stock replacement, but the same company makes an upper replacement and it was close which is why I used the stock tacoma hose on the top.

You can see it clears the alternator just fine.

Radiator Clearance is more then enough. I used the stock 3rz fan.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
That is a way better fit than the one I got from Napa.  Where exactly is it from?

Here is how mine turned out.  I modified the part off a 22r that wraps around the back of the alt and used some 22r hoses...

The Tacoma upper hose worked just fine.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:45:27 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread
« Reply #805 on: May 21, 2012, 10:21:11 AM »
I got the hose from our parts supplier through work, so I'm not sure the exact place it came from.

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1302
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
Lower radiator hose is 95 T100 2WD 3RZ. I trimmed one end 1.5" to have it clear steering joint. Fits great.

(Using 22RE Radiator)

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
So the T100 hose is where it's at...  That makes sense since the radiator would be more like the minitruck than the Tacoma.  Is that fan shroud off the T100 as well?
– Steve McQueen

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1302
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
So the T100 hose is where it's at...  That makes sense since the radiator would be more like the minitruck than the Tacoma.  Is that fan shroud off the T100 as well?

I drilled out the holes on my 22re fan for the bigger bolts of the 3rz and am using the 22re fan and fan shroud. No cooling issues at all and it looks stock.

3toys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
I used the Tacoma 3RZ hoses (silicone aftermarket) and, eventually, an aluminum/plastic tank radiator for an '89 V6 4runner.  I had to trim off about 1.5" of the engine side of the  lower hose.  Clears everything fine. Steering joint is about 1/2" away.  That's the closest thing to the hose.