Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 911394 times)

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Love my swap! Added electric fans to it and now when im on the highway i dont feel it drag when that fan clutch locks.

So i still dont have a speedo in my truck and i was looking in tot he marlin adapter but i was told it goes on the end of the cable. I really want a VSS in the Tcase. Is it true about the marlin part being a piece that goes in the cable?

I have a friend hooking up a VSS and pig tails but it doesn't work all the time. Anyone have an exact year VSS to get to put in my topshift tcase and wire up to a 00 ECU? My buddy works at a parts store.
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
i need some help trying to find the wires for the o2 sensors, mainly just the 1st sensor. i cut 95% of the original harness so i have no idea where the original come from. if anyone could trace the o2 wires and tell me where they go into the harness that would help a little. i have a 99 2rz.

here is what i used to wire my engine up, im having trouble figuring out wich wire need what power or ground so if i have to i could wire the sensor straight from the computer.
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I believe the rear connector and wire drop out of the bottom of the cab and is connected to the in-cab harness somehow.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

85yotabox

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
steve_925- my harness was out of an 01 3rz automatic so i dont know how different they are but on mine the wires for the first sensor drop out with the rest that go to the tranny.  they come out of the main harness at the back of the intake and the colors are ;white,pink,purple and white red.
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
i think im gonna have to just run new wire straight from the ecu
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

AToyota2NV

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 8
  • Member since Jul '09
  • Live Free or Die!
    • View Profile

On my 98 Tacoma 3RZ engine the front sensor wires are
White/Red - 12V For Heater
Brown - Ground
Red/Black -Computer grounded for heater
White - Signal to computer

The rear sensor wires are
White/Red - 12V For Heater
Brown - Ground
Red/White -Computer grounded for heater
Black - Signal to computer

Both those sensors come out of the same harness, the one that is located behind the valve cover.   It looks like if you have to run all new wires, you can run the two 12V White/Red and Brown ground wires in parallel.  Then all you would really need to run are the computer switched grounds and computer signal wires.  
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2010, 08:17:34 PM by AToyota2NV »
87 Extra Cab 4x4 22RE Automatic turned 3RZ-FE 5 speed
3" IFS suspension lift

julianhierro89

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '10
  • RZJ 90, 5.29, Rear ARB locker, TSL 34 9.00
    • View Profile
awesome build up

SFD4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
Here is a link to getting all your smog readiness monitors to run once you have completed your swap.  It details the drive patterns and conditions that have to be met in order to have your EGR, EVAP, 02 sensors, etc to start working.  Very useful if you live in CA and you have to have all your monitors running in order to pass the referee.
http://www.watrd.com/work/TSB_EG003-02_(revised).pdf
83 pickup, 4.88s, chevys in rear, RUF, Dual Transfers, flat belly, 3RZ swap, disc brake x4, rollin on 36" irocs

IF YOU SEE A 20' PAC WEST/CARSON FLAT BED TRAILER FOR SALE CHECK OUT THE STOLEN SECTION.  IT MIGHT BE MINE!!!!

ttrmike

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
Someone REALLY needs to bring a conversion harness to maket again now that ORS is gone. These swaps have so much to offer, but some of us are not vey electrically inclined (aka... me).

Engine mounts seems to be easy, especially the ones that were made for Bevin's conversion.
The Transmission conversion bellhousing is convered by marlin.
The exhaust can be done by a local exhaust shop.
EFI tanks and fuel pumps are pretty common and inexpensive.
The oil pan poses an issue with stock height IFS, but it can be it can be modified to work.

Its just the wiring that scares me.

Beateryota666

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Hey does anyone have any info on swapping a 97 taco dash into a first gen 4runner??I have heard that the entire dash fits with little modification, and simplifies the 3rz swap wiring.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Someone REALLY needs to bring a conversion harness to maket again now that ORS is gone. These swaps have so much to offer, but some of us are not vey electrically inclined (aka... me).

Engine mounts seems to be easy, especially the ones that were made for Bevin's conversion.
The Transmission conversion bellhousing is convered by marlin.
The exhaust can be done by a local exhaust shop.
EFI tanks and fuel pumps are pretty common and inexpensive.
The oil pan poses an issue with stock height IFS, but it can be it can be modified to work.

Its just the wiring that scares me.

Im working with Mike the former owner to offer one. Sometime soon I'll have more info for you.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Hey does anyone have any info on swapping a 97 taco dash into a first gen 4runner??I have heard that the entire dash fits with little modification, and simplifies the 3rz swap wiring.

I started with the A-pillar dash cross bar, and used the AC,Blower and heat boxes all from the Tacoma.

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
I have a couple of questions

1. does anyone know if a w56 clutch fork from a 22re will work with the w59 bellhousing?

2. I live in a smog exempt county, if I wire my 03 3rz without ANY smog equipment (evap canister, egr, etc) will it still run right?

3. Do I HAVE to run cats?

I want everything to be as simple as possible. I dont care if I have a check engine light on, as long as it runs 100%. Im new to obd 2, and not really sure what makes these go into a "limp mode." Thanks in advance
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Clutch fork, oh crud, let me think about this. I "think" you need the w59.

As for everything else, I have no experience with those items.
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2011, 08:24:33 AM by TacoRunner »

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I used the w56 clutch fork with my 3rz swap - the biggest issue is the throughout bearing when going this route.  I think the bearing I used was from a 3rd gen pickup but can't remember for sure.  I just know that the one that came with my w56 wouldn't work - I think it was too short and the w59 bearing from a tacoma had too big of a center bore - it looked about 3mm too big. 

My clutch grabs as soon as I let the peddle off the floor (and I've adjusted it to do the opposite) so I think when it comes time to pull the trans, I will replace the clutch fork with a w59 setup.

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
I used the w56 clutch fork with my 3rz swap - the biggest issue is the throughout bearing when going this route.  I think the bearing I used was from a 3rd gen pickup but can't remember for sure.  I just know that the one that came with my w56 wouldn't work - I think it was too short and the w59 bearing from a tacoma had too big of a center bore - it looked about 3mm too big. 

My clutch grabs as soon as I let the peddle off the floor (and I've adjusted it to do the opposite) so I think when it comes time to pull the trans, I will replace the clutch fork with a w59 setup.

i had the same issue, but i just made a longer push rod for the slave cylinder

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i had the same issue, but i just made a longer push rod for the slave cylinder

Hmm... that sounds easy enough.  I wish I still had access to a lathe though.

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
Hmm... that sounds easy enough.  I wish I still had access to a lathe though.

its way simplier than that, just take a 12mm yota bolt that is 1/2" longer than the stock slave rod and round the ends off with a grinder.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
its way simplier than that, just take a 12mm yota bolt that is 1/2" longer than the stock slave rod and round the ends off with a grinder.

That sounds easy enough.  I have a couple old slave cylinders lying around now that I think of it - I might see if any of the pushrods in them are any longer than the one in my truck.

coops2k

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
great information everyone.

I only saw 2 post on gas mileage, and one was around 19, the other said over 20.
I am guessing that gas mileage with the 3RZ is about the same a a 22RE, but with more power???

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Depends on gearing and tires but I've got 37"s and 5.29s, I get 17 on the freeway driving from LA to Fresno. Street is like 12. But if I go back down to 35"s and 5.29s, because the speedo is then inaccurate, then it says Im getting 23. Which is not right at all.

smacaulay

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
From bigmike:
You will have to change the ECU to a 5spd ECU as I was unsuccessful at fooling the Lock-out Torque convertor circuit and the three shift solenoids (A, B, and C) circuits from the Automatic ECUs.

Making the auto ecu think its in park should allow the engine to turn over/run.  What are the issues with mike's statement above?  Just throw a check engine light?

I'm almost done with my swap and should be firing it up this weekend...just need to know if I need a manual ecu by then, or if I can wait until I'm ready to go through the BAR.
Thanks.

85yotabox

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
The auto ecu works and runs fine it just throws on the check engine light. With the manuel ecu u will also need to hook up the speed sensor to your tcase otherwise it will throw a code too.
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!

smacaulay

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Good to know, thanks for the info 85yotabox.

I picked up the marlin vss to hook up the speedo...I swapped over the full interior w/ 3rz gauge cluster.  Getting the speedo to work seems fairly straight forward.

85yotabox

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
Nice! Thats exactly what i did, used the whole 3rz harness inside and out and just plugged in the gauge cluster and it actually fits really well in my second gen dash.
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!

BeerHat

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Does it matter which manual 4x4 ecm you use provided that it is the same year of the engine? I got a 1999 3rz but has an auto ecm. According to ToyoDIY, there are 3 different ecm part numbers for the manual 4x4.

The auto ecu works and runs fine it just throws on the check engine light. With the manuel ecu u will also need to hook up the speed sensor to your tcase otherwise it will throw a code too.

EDIT: found this thread that allows you to trick the solenoids and park/neutral on the Auto ECM and without throwing the check engine light. So, tech. you can use the Auto ECM without issues.
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157706
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2011, 06:30:43 AM by BeerHat »
Toyota Trail Riders

smacaulay

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
There are three different versions if I'm not mistaken:
Distributer
Twin coil
Quad coil

I think the 99 is a twin coil setup, same as my 97.  If ur using the same year ur probably safe.

Does the ecu have to be the same year as the motor to pass CA BAR?  Does the ref check the ecu?

953rz4runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
Hey I have a question, I am in the process of putting a 3rz in a 95 4runner. I want to do hydro assist, am I going to have to get a different power steering pump? Or is their a mod to make this one work?

85yotabox

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
Hey I have a question, I am in the process of putting a 3rz in a 95 4runner. I want to do hydro assist, am I going to have to get a different power steering pump? Or is their a mod to make this one work?
I ran hydro assist with the stock 3rz pump and it was toast after the first run, and it also could not keep up with the ram as well as an after market one can. I got the psc pump and resivour the recomended for the ram i have and it works great.
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!

smacaulay

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Wish I knew how to post pics, might help explain my questions...

Looking from the front of the truck, the top of the intake plenum (facing forward) has a circle with two vacuum hoses coming off of it (top and bottom left side of circle)...right next to the OBDII port.  The top one I have figured out, but the botton vacuum line I have no idea where to hook it up to.  Any ideas??  I have seem some swaps with a bolt in this location, others with a vacuum line running from it.  The motor is a 97 dual coil 3rz if it matters.

Also, the vapor line running from the fuel tank (pretty sure that's what it is) gets run to the evap box?  Anyone have a pic, or can describe which location to hook this up?

Thanks.