Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 392631 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #1110 on: Dec 23, 2017, 02:54:08 AM »
Are You replacing the hose also?
Did You already replace the hose with the new engine? Did You get aftermarket hose?
I would replace it with a quality Toyota one.
Is the pipe still available?

Hey bgen,

I know you think I'm a cheap-skate, but you are wrong, and anyone who knows me, knows that.

I AM however analytical and frugal.  I am also initially skeptical of what someone posts on a forum.  I also know that there are many self-identified "EXPERTS" who make all kinds of claims... usually never backed up by any proof.  But... their empirical or anecdotal knowledge doesn't mean their opinions are not valid.

No, I did not replace the hose or the pipe.  If I felt it needed to be replaced, I'd buy it at the Toy dealer.  The Toyota engineers are REALLY proud of their plastic and rubber parts!!!  But they fit.

I did not check to see if that pipe is available, but I believe some 22RE new parts may not be available.

I see why the hose developed a coolant leak.  The top factory wire clamp was not even on the metal pipe.  The pin clamp band was not on the metal pipe.  I realize that when I reconnected the hose, I had installed a new clamp at the top and thought the one that was at the end of the hose was for the pipe connection... wrong.  And, I did NOT check to make sure the clamp was actually clamping onto the pipe..... careless mistake.

Now, I have two hose clamps ON hose that is ON the pipe.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2017, 03:04:58 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1111 on: Dec 23, 2017, 04:13:21 AM »
....  I would replace it with a quality Toyota one.

Hi bgen,

I agree that there are parts that Toyota supplies that are the best choice for quality and fit.  :thumbs:

And... I DO takes notes when you make suggestions and offer help.  :biggthumpup:

You ARE my favorite forum automotive-technoid!!  :gap:   :beerchug:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Gnarls.  :spin:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: Dec 23, 2017, 06:41:37 AM »
Hi bgen,

I agree that there are parts that Toyota supplies that are the best choice for quality and fit.  :thumbs:

And... I DO takes notes when you make suggestions and offer help.  :biggthumpup:

You ARE my favorite forum automotive-technoid!!  :gap:   :beerchug:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Gnarls.  :spin:
Merry Christmas Gnarly
Sounds like you have it handled.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Benjamin

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 8
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: Dec 23, 2017, 04:12:45 PM »
looks nice!

Update May 17th, Wednesday PM.

I just received my new LCE Fuel Pressure Gauge. 

I didn't realize that it is NOT to be a permanently installed gauge, just for testing then remove it.

I will try to get it installed, test the fuel pressure and post a report.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1114 on: Dec 28, 2017, 05:39:53 PM »
looks nice!

Hey Benjamin!!

Is that you from a blast from the past Off-Road.com??

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1115 on: Dec 28, 2017, 05:41:27 PM »
UPDATE:  12-28-17

The rear main crankshaft seal is leaking. :maddest:

I’ve ordered a seal and gaskets from Toyota dealer!  Dang… $51.00, plus tax! :yikes:

That’s 15 times more expensive than a Beck Arnley, and 4 times more expensive than a National!

I will drop the tranny on Sunday and if I have the parts from Toyota dealer, I’ll see if I can get the tranny and all re-installed by Sunday PM.  :disturbed:

:crossed: I hope the oil has not contaminated the new clutch disc!!  :smack:

I’ll do my best to determine WHAT and WHERE the motor oil is leaking from or through.   :headscratch:

I’m curious what the Toyota seal is made of and what its exact dimensions are.  :dunno:.... for the price is should be impregnated with flecks of gold!!

I’m definitely VERY disappointed that a new seal and/or gasket may be the culprit.  I should know more Sunday, or Wednesday.  Of course it could be the engine builder!  :yikes:

Gnarls. :dunno:

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017, 02:06:13 AM by Gnarly4X »

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:14:06 PM »
The Toyota parts may just be impregnated with “a smaller chance of doing the labor twice” which is nearly priceless.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:34:46 PM »
Sorry to hear this gnarly. You and Sqwadoosh, just got that bad DIY luck.
Was a speedy sleeve added to the seal surface? Make sure you look really close for any scratches in the seal surface. If you can feel it with you finger nail that’s no good.
Looking forward to pictures.
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #1118 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:37:25 PM »
How did you determine that was the leak if you didn't drop the tranny?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #1119 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:39:29 PM »
We need list of parts that should be Toyota only.........

I already knew the front seal (from experience) should be Toyota only........... (both engine and tranny)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1120 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:00:10 PM »
I have a seal saver you can have if needed.

How do you get shafted by cheap parts, and immediately look at beck and arnley to replace said failed cheap part :shake:

We need list of parts that should be Toyota only.........

I already knew the front seal (from experience) should be Toyota only........... (both engine and tranny)

Anything that requires heavy lifting and or long labor time to repair should use TOYOTA only parts or trusted aftermarket
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1121 on: Dec 29, 2017, 02:51:41 AM »

How do you get shafted by cheap parts, and immediately look at beck and arnley to replace said failed cheap part :shake:

Anything that requires heavy lifting and or long labor time to repair should use TOYOTA only parts or trusted aftermarket

Hey 299k,

In your usual provocative style.. that's a fair question.  But, I'm not 100% sure yet I bought "cheap" parts.  And when looking for parts, why would I not look at an identifiable brand after a concern for possible defective or quality issues?

Yes... I have learned, from this rebuild, that the gaskets and seals and gasket sealers should be considered as a VERY important part selection on a rebuild!!!  The extra $$$ cost means nothing to me when I have to fix a leak!!!!  Toyota does not make their gaskets, seals, and rubber parts.... but their replacement parts seem to have a reputation that they work.  There are other suppliers and manufacturers that have an equal reputation for quality.  I don't recall having issues with seals, gaskets, or gasket sealer in my past maintenance or rebuilds on any other Toyota engine.

Thank you for the offer of the seal saver.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017, 03:02:09 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1122 on: Dec 29, 2017, 03:02:57 AM »
How did you determine that was the leak if you didn't drop the tranny?

How many ways can engine oil get in the bell housing or onto the input shaft?  :dunno:

I'm just making an educated guess.... of course I could be wrong.  :dunno:

Gnarls. :greengrin:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1123 on: Dec 29, 2017, 03:08:45 AM »
Sorry to hear this gnarly. You and Sqwadoosh, just got that bad DIY luck.
Was a speedy sleeve added to the seal surface? Make sure you look really close for any scratches in the seal surface. If you can feel it with you finger nail that’s no good.
Looking forward to pictures.

Hey bgen,

No, I did not install a speedy sleeve. The seal area on the end of the crankshaft appeared clean, but I will REALLY inspect it this time.

Yes... I'll take photos and post what I find.  :thumbs:

Thanks again for your generous support and help!  :beerchug:

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1124 on: Dec 29, 2017, 03:18:30 AM »
First, owning Toyotas has not given me much opportunity for “practice” on these engines…. I’ve been really lucky with reliability.  10 years on an engine, 5 years on t-chain, 5 years on a head gasket, 5 years on a clutch….isn’t bad for 1986 model truck driven daily and 4-wheeled hard every other week end on some the most difficult trails and terrain.

But… that is no excuse for my lack of mechanical skills.

I bought from engnbldr on their past reputation as a long time aftermarket supplier, and incredible support, to the early Toyota DIYers.  And… I have no absolutely confirmed reason to believe – at this point - that was a bad decision, or there is a problem with the parts they sell.  However, the leaking ½ moons and rocker cover gasket and collapsed grommets is a concern.  If I can determine the rear crank seal gasket set is a problem or defective, and the cause of the leak, then there may be a preponderance of evidence to suggest buying parts like gaskets and seals from Toyota or other highly reputable brand name is REALLY important...  I will be taking notes from :)bestgen4runner in capital letters, as we know he has been adamant about the source for gaskets and seals.

I don’t want to jump to conclusions yet, but how many ways, if there are no leaks from the rocker cover, that engine oil can get into bell housing and onto the input shaft?  ….. the housing, the housing gasket, and the seal.. right?

I have already noted that there is a difference in the material and dimensions published on RockAuto.com for the rear crank seal from different manufacturers. :headscratch:

I may have also discovered that my choice and proper use of Permatex sealers may be wrong.  My dad was an old school auto mechanic.  He used ONE gasket sealer for everything… There is no doubt in my mind he had a very good reason. I should have taken better notes!

Would anyone care to make a guess on which one it is?... hint.. it’s a Permatex product.   Ironically, I DID NOT USE IT!!  :smack:

I have an anal analysis curiosity so I’ll see what I find.

Question:  Is it possible that the blow-by from lack of rings being seated soon upon initial start up and break-in can cause enough crankcase pressure to blow out the rear crank seal or gasket?  ???

Gnarls. :inthedark:

« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2017, 02:04:37 AM by Gnarly4X »

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: Dec 29, 2017, 07:04:25 AM »
No on the blow-by question.
Ultra grey is My guess?

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: Dec 29, 2017, 07:25:03 AM »

I think Gnarly would tell you that he was using a trusted aftermarket product.  Toyota parts are known quality and expensive. Aftermarket parts can be a better value but seem to come with some risk.

It’s possible that Gnarly’s issue isn’t directly related to the parts he used. Only time will tell.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1127 on: Dec 29, 2017, 07:48:26 AM »
I think Gnarly would tell you that he was using a trusted aftermarket product.  Toyota parts are known quality and expensive. Aftermarket parts can be a better value but seem to come with some risk.

It’s possible that Gnarly’s issue isn’t directly related to the parts he used. Only time will tell.

True.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:03:15 AM »

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1130 on: Dec 29, 2017, 09:30:16 AM »

Ok I get it. We're still pretending Rock parts, where a master rebuild kit cost like 250 dollars, are comparable to Toyota? :outtahere:
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017, 01:07:18 PM by 300k »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1131 on: Dec 29, 2017, 10:01:10 AM »
That is just gasket glue. I use the same stuff. I thought we were talking about silicone or gasket maker.

How does it work for you?

Gnarls.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: Dec 29, 2017, 10:10:12 AM »
It is used like contact cement. apply to gasket surface (one side) and to metal surface. allow both to dry then press them together. Used to hold gasket to metal surface.
It is not meant to be used alone?

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1133 on: Dec 29, 2017, 12:20:36 PM »
It is used like contact cement. apply to gasket surface (one side) and to metal surface. allow both to dry then press them together. Used to hold gasket to metal surface.
It is not meant to be used alone?

Oh... it requires a mate?

Gnarls.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: Dec 29, 2017, 12:33:53 PM »
http://gasgacinch.com/
This is the original and best stuff You can get. It's a Mechanic's secret.  :shhh:
You won't find it in a store.  :tantrum:
I have looked.  :smack:
Every shop I have worked at uses it.  :sly:
They have technical instructions For You to look at Gnarly  :willynilly:

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1135 on: Dec 29, 2017, 12:50:28 PM »
Bestgen is trying to deceive you. He knows the best gasket maker is The right stuff :rofl2:

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #1136 on: Dec 29, 2017, 12:52:45 PM »
This is the original and best stuff You can get. It's a Mechanic's secret.  :shhh:
You won't find it in a store.  :tantrum:
I have looked.  :smack:

I have found it at the O’reiley’s near me. I love that stuff. I don’t use sillycone anymore unless I have to.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #1137 on: Dec 29, 2017, 02:17:49 PM »
I like Hylomar.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: Dec 29, 2017, 03:37:47 PM »
I like Hylomar.

Have You tried the Girly glue? You won't go back if You do.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #1139 on: Dec 29, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »
Have You tried the Girly glue? You won't go back if You do.

No.

What's the shelf life once it's been opened?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15