Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 396642 times)

:)bestgen4runner

• Online The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #1290 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:27:59 AM »
I don’t know any guys that buy a 22R header for a 22RE and weld a bung on it.  That would require some quality TIG welding, but I see it could work to relocate the 02 sensor bung on the misplaced one on the header I just installed.  It would also allow for the bung to be lower on the tube and getting the O2 sensor further into the exhaust flow for a better reading.  It probably would require some machining to fab a bung.

I have never used a REMFLEX exhaust manifold gasket so I don’t have any experience with it. It seems to get great reviews.  There are some good quality factory style after market gaskets available – I like the looks of the Fel-Pro, Inshino, 22RE Performance, and Beck Arnley.  I am curious what gasket Summit will send me.  I may have to do what I had to do with the other 2 DT headers… have the flange plate machined absolutely flat.  Preventing exhaust leaks with my 3 trucks has always been a challenge with the stock manifold and the DT headers.

The LCE header was a consideration and gets good reviews.  It’s downstream O2 sensor requires an extended wire for the 02 sensor.  I would love to see a dyno comparison between the DT Tri-Y and LCE 4-in-to-1.

Gnarls.
I have had both. Easy answer. LCE 4 to 1 was all top end power. The Tri-y power in all the right places. 
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1291 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:31:44 AM »
I don’t know any guys that buy a 22R header for a 22RE and weld a bung on it.  That would require some quality TIG welding, but I see it could work to relocate the 02 sensor bung on the misplaced one on the header I just installed.  It would also allow for the bung to be lower on the tube and getting the O2 sensor further into the exhaust flow for a better reading.  It probably would require some machining to fab a bung.

I have never used a REMFLEX exhaust manifold gasket so I don’t have any experience with it. It seems to get great reviews.  There are some good quality factory style after market gaskets available – I like the looks of the Fel-Pro, Inshino, 22RE Performance, and Beck Arnley.  I am curious what gasket Summit will send me.  I may have to do what I had to do with the other 2 DT headers… have the flange plate machined absolutely flat.  Preventing exhaust leaks with my 3 trucks has always been a challenge with the stock manifold and the DT headers.

The LCE header was a consideration and gets good reviews.  It’s downstream O2 sensor requires an extended wire for the 02 sensor.  I would love to see a dyno comparison between the DT Tri-Y and LCE 4-in-to-1.

Gnarls.

Seems like the LCE headed is the answer to all your problems. Half inch thick perfectly flat flange and the o2 sensor bung where it should be. I guess DT lost some quality over the years?
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

• Online The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:54:41 AM »
Seems like the LCE headed is the answer to all your problems. Half inch thick perfectly flat flange and the o2 sensor bung where it should be. I guess DT lost some quality over the years?
It all depends on what You are trying to accomplish.
If You want to build a engine with all top end HP (LCE all the way) Like drag racing.   :burnout:
If You want more power in all the places that You use the power on a normal drive (tri-y).  :driving:
22re is and never will be a power house engine.  :confused:
I want to mention that the Tri-Y I have on My Son's 22re and that I had back in the day were the Northwest Offroad version. 1/2 flange that required no gasket, only exhaust silicone. never leaked once.
Both I had to add an o2 bung down just past the collecter. Both I had to add a heated o2 sensor to get consistent operation due to loss of heat that far down the exhaust.  :think:
You could always go back to the manifold. Your really only looking at a 5hp gain at most.  :twocents:
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

• Online The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:57:01 AM »
https://northwestoffroad.com/parts/headers.php
This is the best header made in My opinion. also note the o2 location in the pipe down stream.
Maybe get Your money back and buy one.  :willynilly:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,225
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1294 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:03:43 AM »
https://northwestoffroad.com/parts/headers.php
This is the best header made in My opinion. also note the o2 location in the pipe down stream.
Maybe get Your money back and buy one.  :willynilly:

It's missing one cylinder!!!!

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1295 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:04:32 AM »
If you want to make more than 115hp get a 3rz...
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

• Online The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:10:01 AM »
If you want to make more than 115hp get a 3rz...
Or if You feel You need even more, Go 2 or 3rz supercharged like My plan.
take a look at the power numbers that LCE shows.
Note that You have to scroll down Gnarly.  :smack:
https://www.lceperformance.com/2RZ-2-4L-3RZ-2-7L-High-Boost-Supercharger-Kit-1995-p/7015190.htm

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1297 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:49:28 AM »
I don't get the hype with having low end torque. My plan was to build a motor that had good street manners (mid to high range peak power) and then get my torque from gearing.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1298 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:17:06 AM »
I don't get the hype with having low end torque. My plan was to build a motor that had good street manners (mid to high range peak power) and then get my torque from gearing.

I'll explain it to you later.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:38:46 AM »

Low end torque is what allows you to not upshift every time you want to accelerate when cruising around at low rpm.  Having low end torque doesn't take away from street manners.

My 4Runner has an RV cam in it (I have no other information on it and I said that to make Gnarly lay awake at night wondering what it might be), but when the engine was rebuilt by my friend I opted for a mid range cam over the stock cam.  I honestly think I preferred the stock cam in my 85 over the mid range cam in my 89.  It's really hard to really compare two trucks that never overlapped in life, ran different size tires with the same gearing, and the 4Runner is heavier, but it feels like the 85 had a little more top end which comes in handy on the long highway trips climbing hills since there's really no such thing as true torque with a 22RE.  You just downshift to the higher RPM for a mechanical advantage in the transmission so having the power curve at a higher RPM seems like an advantage. 
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:39:58 AM »
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1301 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:07:26 PM »
I can make it easy for you 300k. Torque is what gets you to speed. Hp just keeps you there. That's as simple as I can possibly explain it.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

• Online The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:18:24 PM »
When I was in Tech school My teacher said. Hp is the Wide reciever He is fast but ask him to bench 300lb and no way.
Torque is the offensive lineman, He is not fast but can move small mountains when asked.
One is speed the other is power. In a perfect world You would have an engine with lots of low end torque and great high rpm horse power. Vehicle manufacturers have been working at this for as long as I have been working on cars.
VVTI? Vtech? multiple size and length intake runners, tuned ports, The list goes on. in a 1980's 22r or re it's best to have low end torque. 
I will take power over speed every time. 
A super charger would increase both  :yesnod:

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:26:33 PM »
Hey H8PVMNT,

Well...perhaps this should be in the Too or Too thread, BUT... I did not have dual cases in my 85 (one of Marlin's first Crawler t-cases) and it went EVERYWHERE all other vehicles that had dual cases.
Gnarls.

So your '85 had a 4.7 single case or just stock 2.28 single?
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1304 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:54:10 PM »
I know what torque is, dinks. I just dont get the idea of trying to build a tractor motor that can't get out of it's own way past 3k RPM

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: Feb 06, 2018, 03:37:53 PM »
I was reading this thing one time about torque and bicycle dudes.  The typical in shape road biker has more torque than a 22r :)
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: Feb 06, 2018, 03:46:23 PM »
I know what torque is, dinks. I just dont get the idea of trying to build a tractor motor that can't get out of it's own way past 3k RPM

We gotta have low end torque to get off the line with our tires aired down.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1307 on: Feb 06, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »
We gotta have low end torque to get off the line with our tires aired down.

I wouldn't know, my tires have low rolling resistance at 30psi

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: Feb 06, 2018, 04:00:30 PM »

You can do better. Some tires are designed for 80 psi. Dilly dilly.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1309 on: Feb 06, 2018, 05:18:27 PM »
So your '85 had a 4.7 single case or just stock 2.28 single?

It was the lower gear ratio.  And... there were just a few times I felt a lower gear would be smoother to make a very low crawl climb.  I had a switch in my 85 that I installed that when flipped increased the idle RPM by about 500 RPM. It did the same thing that the AC did when turned on and the AC pump clutch engaged to compensate for the pump drag, but without actually engaging the compressor... it worked great!   I would just press the brake pedal and let the engine lug down to slow down my crawl.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1310 on: Feb 06, 2018, 05:22:41 PM »

"'dinks'  Dual Income No Kids?

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1311 on: Feb 06, 2018, 05:24:27 PM »

299k.... there are a LOT of ideas you just don't get.  :smack:

Gnarls. :gap:

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018, 06:39:56 PM by Gnarly4X »

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1312 on: Feb 06, 2018, 05:24:40 PM »
"'dinks'  Dual Income No Kids?

Gnarls.

New England slang.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1313 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:00:05 PM »
The Torque, HP, Power, Gear Ratios has been discussed ad nausea.  :reg:

You can debate the facts, but cannot change the facts.  :shake_head:

It’s a no brainer.  Without torque, you cannot calculate HP (power).  :gap:

If I was building a Baja 1000 Trophy Truck, I’d be interested in HORSE POWER (about 1000 HP at 8,000 RPM).  :burnout:

For my little 22RE, daily driver and part time rock crawler, I am only interested in TORQUE between 2500 to 3500 RPM. :driving:

Lower gears will multiple torque numbers and reduce speed, higher gears will lower torque and increase speed… you decide what you want.  :dunno:

However, if I add a DT header and free flow exhaust I can get an increase in torque by about 25 lbs, - right where I want it – between 2500 to 3500 - and an increase HP by about 10 HP… for say $800.  Or I can increase my torque by installing lower gears… ring & pinion…. for about $800.

I prefer the increase power.  :thumbs:

Gnarls. :D

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1314 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:14:28 PM »
-snip-

What I'm saying is if you build a "street engine", with extensive head work, a high RPM header, and a street cam that moves the power up higher, would that engine actually have trouble offroad once you put it in 1st gear double low thru 4.88 axle gears on a 33 inch tire? when I was going to buy thru EB, he made a really big deal about what cam and head choice I picked for exactly what I was doing. What R&P I was gonna run, what size tire, etc as if my truck would never run down the highway again. 22REP pretty much told me "you don't want a lopey cam offroad" but whatever on anything else.

also, hi OOPS! I'm gonna increase the torque of my motor when I change to a 4.88 R&P  :yupyup:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1315 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:24:39 PM »
UPDATE February 6 2018

A Toyota dealer exhaust manifold gasket is about $55.00.

I had a really nice discussion with Mike at Doug Thorley this afternoon.

I hate to admit I’m a dummy, a dufus, an idiot, a ree-tard!!

I let my excitement and DIYer arrogance miss a very important Instruction Procedure.  I glanced over it and thought it was for the air injection system.  So I said to myself… “OK, Gnarls you’ve installed many exhaust manifold and header gaskets… it’s a simple thing, you put the gasket between the head and the header and torque some nuts”… WRONG.

I left out a very important piece to the install of DT Header.  The last page, installation note #7….

“Inspect your cylinder head.  Depending on your vehicle you may have to place the supplied 12mm Copper Crush Washer between the cylinder head and the threaded hole in the center of the new header flange.  If you must do this, once your header is installed also plug the center hole in the flange using the supplied M10-1.25mm Hex Flange Head Bolt.”

Well… I thought the one bolt - and the one missing - was for the EGR block off plates… WRONG.

So… after feeling like a complete moron, I will order a new gasket from Summit Racing and start over and re-install the new header... CORRECTLY.

I asked Mike about the bung location and O2 sensor, he said that header has passed THE most stringent EPA testing and specifications for all 50 states.  It will NOT cause any issues with the O2 sensor reading.  He had not heard of any issues with the O2 sensor being too close to the heat shield.  Based on my 22RE rebuild, he said the 2-1/4” tubing all the way is fine.

By the way, Mike read to me their dyno test results of this header on my engine…. WOW!!

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018, 06:41:28 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1316 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:47:28 PM »
....  "you don't want a lopey cam offroad" .... 

Uhhhmmm.... I will take a lopey cam anytime I can get one... on road, off road, in the air, under water, on a rock, in the mud, in the sand, in the snow.... any where it will LOPE@!!!!   :dancing:

I LOVE LOPEY CAMS!!  :woohoo:

Gnarls.   :gap:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1317 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:51:07 PM »

NOT WHEN YOU ARE ROCK CRAWLING!!

Gnarls.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:41:27 PM »
What I'm saying is if you build a "street engine", with extensive head work, a high RPM header, and a street cam that moves the power up higher, would that engine actually have trouble offroad once you put it in 1st gear double low thru 4.88 axle gears on a 33 inch tire?

The toque multiplication in double low even with stock gearing in both that you'll never have an issue related to not enough torque.  My 4Runner with a pretty boring 22RE will pull through the brakes in 4wd low low at idle.  It takes effort to stall it.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1319 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:56:33 PM »
The toque multiplication in double low even with stock gearing in both that you'll never have an issue related to not enough torque.  My 4Runner with a pretty boring 22RE will pull through the brakes in 4wd low low at idle.  It takes effort to stall it.

so then why shy away from the LCE header which moves power up high? It seems like it's a better idea than getting a header for low to mid torque and a matching cam?