Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 184450 times)

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2140
  • Male Posts: 1,753
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #1290 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:36:39 PM »
This is how it’s done today.
Love this thing.
Thanks again Mark!
https://imgur.com/a/gjAq9
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 3721
  • Male Posts: 3,074
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Marlin and I slid "The Sluice" Martinez Canyon
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1291 on: Feb 02, 2018, 02:38:01 AM »
This is how it’s done today.
Love this thing.
Thanks again Mark!
https://imgur.com/a/gjAq9

Yeah... that would have been really nice on one of the most memorable ThanksGiving cross-country Mexico trips.  We crossed the border and spent the night to wake up to about 25d F temperataure! We didn't want to burn our fire wood for the beach, we still had 2 days to go to cross the ancient volcanoes and huge sand dunes before finally arriving at the beach on the Sonoran side.  That first morning we suffered until the engines got warmed and the heaters were on full blast.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1292 on: Feb 02, 2018, 02:55:59 AM »
No I mean dual t-cases, not dual exhaust.

Hey H8PVMNT,

Well...perhaps this should be in the Too or Too thread, BUT... I did not have dual cases in my 85 (one of Marlin's first Crawler t-cases) and it went EVERYWHERE all other vehicles that had dual cases.  Marlin was right behind me one of the first Martinez Canyon trips. I can still remember the look on his face when we had to drop off a 10 foot vertical ledge into the Sluice!!

Stock 22R, DT header-open exhaust, 35's, locked up, lifted about 4", custom springs and shackles was all it had... the rest trail busting fun was just my driving and some really good spotters.  I consider my 1985 Standard Cab a "low-buck build" and the 2nd best vehicle I ever owned (my '67 Fastback Vette was the best).

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1293 on: Feb 05, 2018, 03:54:08 AM »
UPDATE February 5 2018

I had a bad day yesterday.  I installed the DT header and hooked up the temporary exhaust tubing.  I noticed after I had the header lightly torqued down, that the gasket supplied by Summit/Doug Thorley was not a correct design.

The two center lower head studs lack any gasket material, consequently there is a gap between the face of the header flange and where it clamps to the head.  This is just stupid!!

I followed the installation instructions.  I fired the engine and at idle felt an exhaust leak through a hole in the header flange between the two studs in the bottom middle of the flange. I turned off the engine and went into the house in total disgust!

My disappointment in this Doug Thorley header is at a point that I am going to attempt to have a conversation with Doug Thorley, who apparently is actually owned by Summit Racing.

Here are the issues:

1 – HEADER FLANGE GASKET - the header to head gasket is flat stupid and is an obvious design flaw.

2 – O2 SENSOR BUNG - the location of the O2 sensor bung is wrong.  Not only is it extremely difficult to get the O2 sensor into the bung, but extremely difficult to insert the bolts and tighten the nuts.  The bung flange is too high off the header tube and that does not allow the tip of the O2 sensor to be positioned in the tube.  I assume this could cause a lack of proper reading by the O2 sensor, despite the fact that it is only reading the exhaust flow of two cylinders.  Obviously the person who designed the bung NEVER attempted to install the O2 sensor!  The bung should be a machined block with tapped threads for two short bolts or studs.

3 – WRONG/MISSING BOLTS EGR BLOCK OFF PLATES– The bolts (one missing) for the EGR block off plates is the wrong length. I had to buy two bolts, and actually cut the one for the rear plate because it cannot extend passed the header flange, otherwise the tip would be pressed into the head.

4- ONLY ONE EXHAUST CLAMP - The hardware kit should contain TWO 2-1/4” exhaust clamps.

I am tempted to box this header up and send it back to Summit for a complete refund.  I will call Summit and hopefully have a conversation with them about this header.

I am very disturbed by the poor design of this header and insufficient hardware kit considering that Doug Thorley has been designing and manufacturing for “over 50 years”.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR THIS POOR QUALITY PRODUCT!!

LINK TO PHOTOS:  https://imgur.com/a/QMiM0

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2018, 05:54:46 AM by Gnarly4X »

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #1294 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:43:09 AM »
  :phone: You will be offered a complete refund not much more.  :therethere:
This is the aftermarket.  :sad2: It sucks so bad. Lot's of money out there for a company that offers the things We all want. Like quality and excellent customer service. So far I have only found a very few that do.

4Xinnovations. A+++++ in My book. Nothing but the very best quality and customer service. also when You call You will be talking to the owner. not a phone person. I have yet to hear a bad word about them.

Warn, Everything I have experienced with their products has been great quality. Even the used Warn winch I purchased. So far My findings with even their budget line of winches has been perfect. I have had no customer service experience but have been told by several people it is top notch.

I know I am going to hear it from all of You and I understand that people hate them but I personally have a perfect record with Trailgear. Zero failures on any of the parts I have purchased from them, great prices, super fast shipping, and My limited customer service experience has been perfect.

That is where Nice the list ends for Me.

As far as issues, well the naughty list is very very long.  :_oops: 
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1295 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:18:12 AM »
  :phone: You will be offered a complete refund not much more.  :therethere:
This is the aftermarket.  :sad2: It sucks so bad. Lot's of money out there for a company that offers the things We all want. Like quality and excellent customer service. So far I have only found a very few that do.

Yeah... I realize I am just a number on a shipping report.  But I am going to exercise my 1st Amendment right.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1296 on: Feb 05, 2018, 05:44:13 PM »
UPDATE:  FEB 5 2018

I test drove the truck this afternoon.  NO more transmission leaks!!.. Yippee.

I drove the truck about 15 miles.  It has more pull from 3,000 RPM up.  I think it has a little more pull from off-idle as well.  It definitely feels like it has more pull in 4th and 5th gears at 3,000 RPMs.  Based on my butt dyno, I believe there is less throttle needed now at 75 and 80 MPH in 5th gear.  I assume this may give me a tad more MPG at freeway speeds.

At WOT the torque seems to fall off after about 4500 RPM in 3rd, 4th , and 5th gears.

I still have exhaust leaks at the header flange  I also will need to remove the heat shield where it rubs on the O2 sensor and trim off several inches.

I spoke to the Customer Service department at Summit Racing.  The gal was very nice and offered to send me a new and different exhaust header gasket.  If THAT gasket still leaks, I will try a RemFlex.  She also offered to reimburse me for the cost of having to buy two bolts for the EGR block off plates, but I told her “Thank you, but it’s not worth my time.”

She confirmed that Summit Racing is only the distributor for Doug Thorley, so I will be contacting DT and attempt to have  a discussion about the disappointing lousy design of this header and why.  I was under the impression that Summit owned Doug Thorley Headers.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018, 01:26:56 AM by Gnarly4X »

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 646
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1297 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:12:34 PM »
You could have bought the carbureted version and had an exhaust shop weld a bung in at the collector w/ heated o2 sensor. that's how a lot of guys run it. Also why not just do the Remflex instead of messing with whatever other garbage gasket they're gonna send you?

Looks like I'll be going LCE when I upgrade to a header :shades:
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1298 on: Feb 06, 2018, 02:17:35 AM »
You could have bought the carbureted version and had an exhaust shop weld a bung in at the collector w/ heated o2 sensor. that's how a lot of guys run it. Also why not just do the Remflex instead of messing with whatever other garbage gasket they're gonna send you?

Looks like I'll be going LCE when I upgrade to a header :shades:

I don’t know any guys that buy a 22R header for a 22RE and weld a bung on it.  That would require some quality TIG welding, but I see it could work to relocate the 02 sensor bung on the misplaced one on the header I just installed.  It would also allow for the bung to be lower on the tube and getting the O2 sensor further into the exhaust flow for a better reading.  It probably would require some machining to fab a bung.

I have never used a REMFLEX exhaust manifold gasket so I don’t have any experience with it. It seems to get great reviews.  There are some good quality factory style after market gaskets available – I like the looks of the Fel-Pro, Inshino, 22RE Performance, and Beck Arnley.  I am curious what gasket Summit will send me.  I may have to do what I had to do with the other 2 DT headers… have the flange plate machined absolutely flat.  Preventing exhaust leaks with my 3 trucks has always been a challenge with the stock manifold and the DT headers.

The LCE header was a consideration and gets good reviews.  It’s downstream O2 sensor requires an extended wire for the 02 sensor.  I would love to see a dyno comparison between the DT Tri-Y and LCE 4-in-to-1.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018, 02:23:41 AM by Gnarly4X »

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #1299 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:26:13 AM »
If you want to do it right.
You will need to have an o2 sensor bung installed after the collector. This way your Ecu will have an accurate sample from all 4 cylinders.
I have run that header both ways. Provided location and downstream.
Down stream required the addition of a heated 02 sensor but once completed ot works much better and more accurate.
Looks like this was recommended before. Interesting!  :hammerhead:

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #1300 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:27:59 AM »
I don’t know any guys that buy a 22R header for a 22RE and weld a bung on it.  That would require some quality TIG welding, but I see it could work to relocate the 02 sensor bung on the misplaced one on the header I just installed.  It would also allow for the bung to be lower on the tube and getting the O2 sensor further into the exhaust flow for a better reading.  It probably would require some machining to fab a bung.

I have never used a REMFLEX exhaust manifold gasket so I don’t have any experience with it. It seems to get great reviews.  There are some good quality factory style after market gaskets available – I like the looks of the Fel-Pro, Inshino, 22RE Performance, and Beck Arnley.  I am curious what gasket Summit will send me.  I may have to do what I had to do with the other 2 DT headers… have the flange plate machined absolutely flat.  Preventing exhaust leaks with my 3 trucks has always been a challenge with the stock manifold and the DT headers.

The LCE header was a consideration and gets good reviews.  It’s downstream O2 sensor requires an extended wire for the 02 sensor.  I would love to see a dyno comparison between the DT Tri-Y and LCE 4-in-to-1.

Gnarls.
I have had both. Easy answer. LCE 4 to 1 was all top end power. The Tri-y power in all the right places. 

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1301 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:31:44 AM »

Gnarls.

Seems like the LCE headed is the answer to all your problems. Half inch thick perfectly flat flange and the o2 sensor bung where it should be. I guess DT lost some quality over the years?

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #1302 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:54:41 AM »
Seems like the LCE headed is the answer to all your problems. Half inch thick perfectly flat flange and the o2 sensor bung where it should be. I guess DT lost some quality over the years?
It all depends on what You are trying to accomplish.
If You want to build a engine with all top end HP (LCE all the way) Like drag racing.   :burnout:
If You want more power in all the places that You use the power on a normal drive (tri-y).  :driving:
22re is and never will be a power house engine.  :confused:
I want to mention that the Tri-Y I have on My Son's 22re and that I had back in the day were the Northwest Offroad version. 1/2 flange that required no gasket, only exhaust silicone. never leaked once.
Both I had to add an o2 bung down just past the collecter. Both I had to add a heated o2 sensor to get consistent operation due to loss of heat that far down the exhaust.  :think:
You could always go back to the manifold. Your really only looking at a 5hp gain at most.  :twocents:

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #1303 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:57:01 AM »
https://northwestoffroad.com/parts/headers.php
This is the best header made in My opinion. also note the o2 location in the pipe down stream.
Maybe get Your money back and buy one.  :willynilly:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1304 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:03:43 AM »
https://northwestoffroad.com/parts/headers.php
This is the best header made in My opinion. also note the o2 location in the pipe down stream.
Maybe get Your money back and buy one.  :willynilly:

It's missing one cylinder!!!!

Gnarls.

redneckcustoms13

• Online The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 6820
  • Male Posts: 2,408
  • Member since May '15
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1305 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:04:32 AM »
If you want to make more than 115hp get a 3rz...
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #1306 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:10:01 AM »
If you want to make more than 115hp get a 3rz...
Or if You feel You need even more, Go 2 or 3rz supercharged like My plan.
take a look at the power numbers that LCE shows.
Note that You have to scroll down Gnarly.  :smack:
https://www.lceperformance.com/2RZ-2-4L-3RZ-2-7L-High-Boost-Supercharger-Kit-1995-p/7015190.htm

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1307 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:49:28 AM »
I don't get the hype with having low end torque. My plan was to build a motor that had good street manners (mid to high range peak power) and then get my torque from gearing.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1308 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:17:06 AM »
I don't get the hype with having low end torque. My plan was to build a motor that had good street manners (mid to high range peak power) and then get my torque from gearing.

I'll explain it to you later.

Gnarls.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1187
  • Male Posts: 4,884
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
« Reply #1309 on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:38:46 AM »

Low end torque is what allows you to not upshift every time you want to accelerate when cruising around at low rpm.  Having low end torque doesn't take away from street manners.

My 4Runner has an RV cam in it (I have no other information on it and I said that to make Gnarly lay awake at night wondering what it might be), but when the engine was rebuilt by my friend I opted for a mid range cam over the stock cam.  I honestly think I preferred the stock cam in my 85 over the mid range cam in my 89.  It's really hard to really compare two trucks that never overlapped in life, ran different size tires with the same gearing, and the 4Runner is heavier, but it feels like the 85 had a little more top end which comes in handy on the long highway trips climbing hills since there's really no such thing as true torque with a 22RE.  You just downshift to the higher RPM for a mechanical advantage in the transmission so having the power curve at a higher RPM seems like an advantage. 
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
« Reply #1310 on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:39:58 AM »
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

redneckcustoms13

• Online The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 6820
  • Male Posts: 2,408
  • Member since May '15
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1311 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:07:26 PM »
I can make it easy for you 300k. Torque is what gets you to speed. Hp just keeps you there. That's as simple as I can possibly explain it.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #1312 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:18:24 PM »
When I was in Tech school My teacher said. Hp is the Wide reciever He is fast but ask him to bench 300lb and no way.
Torque is the offensive lineman, He is not fast but can move small mountains when asked.
One is speed the other is power. In a perfect world You would have an engine with lots of low end torque and great high rpm horse power. Vehicle manufacturers have been working at this for as long as I have been working on cars.
VVTI? Vtech? multiple size and length intake runners, tuned ports, The list goes on. in a 1980's 22r or re it's best to have low end torque. 
I will take power over speed every time. 
A super charger would increase both  :yesnod:

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 451
  • Male Posts: 3,502
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
« Reply #1313 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:26:33 PM »
Hey H8PVMNT,

Well...perhaps this should be in the Too or Too thread, BUT... I did not have dual cases in my 85 (one of Marlin's first Crawler t-cases) and it went EVERYWHERE all other vehicles that had dual cases.
Gnarls.

So your '85 had a 4.7 single case or just stock 2.28 single?
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1314 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:54:10 PM »
I know what torque is, dinks. I just dont get the idea of trying to build a tractor motor that can't get out of it's own way past 3k RPM

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 451
  • Male Posts: 3,502
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
« Reply #1315 on: Feb 06, 2018, 03:37:53 PM »
I was reading this thing one time about torque and bicycle dudes.  The typical in shape road biker has more torque than a 22r :)
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
« Reply #1316 on: Feb 06, 2018, 03:46:23 PM »
I know what torque is, dinks. I just dont get the idea of trying to build a tractor motor that can't get out of it's own way past 3k RPM

We gotta have low end torque to get off the line with our tires aired down.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1317 on: Feb 06, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »
We gotta have low end torque to get off the line with our tires aired down.

I wouldn't know, my tires have low rolling resistance at 30psi

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
« Reply #1318 on: Feb 06, 2018, 04:00:30 PM »
I wouldn't know, my tires have low rolling resistance at 30psi

You can do better. Some tires are designed for 80 psi. Dilly dilly.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1319 on: Feb 06, 2018, 05:18:27 PM »
So your '85 had a 4.7 single case or just stock 2.28 single?

It was the lower gear ratio.  And... there were just a few times I felt a lower gear would be smoother to make a very low crawl climb.  I had a switch in my 85 that I installed that when flipped increased the idle RPM by about 500 RPM. It did the same thing that the AC did when turned on and the AC pump clutch engaged to compensate for the pump drag, but without actually engaging the compressor... it worked great!   I would just press the brake pedal and let the engine lug down to slow down my crawl.

Gnarls.