Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 392804 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #1500 on: Mar 12, 2018, 02:41:34 AM »
... I have a 375hp 400 cid small block in my 1970 Chevelle/Nomad

I had 350 4 barrel 1972 Chevelle... loved that car!  :D

The Nomads are one the best and coolest cars ever built by Chevy!!  :thumbs:

I have not seen a Nomad on the road for YEARS!  :dunno:

Gnarls. :gap:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: Mar 12, 2018, 07:54:52 AM »
I've been self recalibrating all my life.  It's that 5 - 7% error factor that has really fubar'd my recalibrations!  :yikes:

I am anxious to read about his "self recalibrated" budget rebuild getting past break-in and more than 40,000 miles.  :thumbs:

Gnarls.  :gap:

It's funny too, I've had the last few go way longer on less effort.  They were more like sloppy hone and re-ring jobs compared to that one, which was pretty complete.  I put over 60K on my 3RZ before I sold it and about the same on a 22re before I sold the truck.  Both never even hardly burned any oil with fresh rings on used stock pistons. Neither of those got a questionable 20r head slapped on them and were tuned up down and sideways though :)

You might have something on the RA thing, since those done with a hone in the garage would have been different than the bored block from the machine shop.  Maybe I should make a habit of running that old hone through my blocks just a bit when they come back from being bored.

Can't say anything until I get to tear down that 22r though   :bricks:
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2018, 09:11:50 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1502 on: Mar 12, 2018, 09:19:17 AM »
It's funny too, I've had the last few go way longer on less effort.  They were more like sloppy hone and re-ring jobs compared to that one, which was pretty complete.  I put over 60K on my 3RZ before I sold it and about the same on a 22re before I sold the truck.  Both never even hardly burned any oil with fresh rings on used stock pistons. Neither of those got a questionable 20r head slapped on them and were tuned up down and sideways though :)

You might have something on the RA thing, since those done with a hone in the garage would have been different than the bored block from the machine shop.  Maybe I should make a habit of running that old hone through my blocks just a bit when they come back from being bored.

Can't say anything until I get to tear down that 22r though   :bricks:

I believe, just from my reading about rebuilds, and now my own rebuild, that the machining of the block and honing RA of the cylinders is absolutely CRITICAL for a proper sealing of the rings AND ring choice - Chrome needs special honing!!

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1503 on: Mar 12, 2018, 09:46:01 AM »
I keep justifying things on my rebuild by thinking about how many engines have been slapped together or rebuilt in some small town with a primitive machine shop. I'd like to do everything racecar perfect, but it's just not going to happen.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1504 on: Mar 13, 2018, 07:37:02 PM »
I keep justifying things on my rebuild by thinking about how many engines have been slapped together or rebuilt in some small town with a primitive machine shop. I'd like to do everything racecar perfect, but it's just not going to happen.

You can justify just about anything, with rational thinking and facts.. or purely utter ignorance.

“Slapped together” engines can be read about all over the internet, mostly posted by a clueless idiot or a relatively inexperienced DIYer that is doing a low-budget rebuild. 

How many “slapped together” engines do you know of that have gone more than 50,000 miles?

Even some local rebuild shop can completely FUBAR a rebuild with the best of them!

“rebuilt in some small town” has virtually NOTHING to do with rebuilding an engine.

A “primitive machine shop” perhaps would be able to turn down a piece of metal on a lathe, or stick weld a  bumper, BUT it would NOT be able to do the machining required for the tolerances, measurements, align boring, honing and RA numbers required for a successful engine rebuild.

That does not mean that a guy in East BFE can’t spend a couple grand on boring machine and a cheap honing tool, hand machine the block and build a reliable engine… but he better know what he’s doing!

Building a “racecar perfect” engine is done by NASCAR teams in a $20 MILLION machine shop…. And their $250,000 engines still blow up sometimes.

Rebuilding your average early Toyota truck or 4Runner engine used for daily driving or common trail running, a 22R/RE does not require the same level of exactness or precision machining, but if the machining of a 22R/RE block is NOT done correctly to very specific tolerances, boring, crosshatching, and honing, the engine rebuild will be a failure.

That’s just my opinion – it may be worthless.

Gnarls.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: Mar 13, 2018, 08:49:22 PM »
Hate to blow your bubble Gnarls, I've been working on cars since I was 8 (more years back than I want to say).  I have the machine shop do the boring and hone, then I do the cross-hatch myself. I set all the ring gaps and balance each piston set and rods. Sometimes I'll do the crank if the engine seemed rough at idle before teardown or I want a high winder. I do this in my garage with my scale, not in some fancy machine shop.  My engines always do over the 100k mark, my present is sitting at 214k and counting. So chalk one up for the shade tree mechs.  I think H8pvmnt's engine should be a real eye opener, can't wait to see it prove you wrong.   :twocents:   :chillpill:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1506 on: Mar 13, 2018, 08:56:26 PM »
I think H8pvmnt's engine should be a real eye opener, can't wait to see it prove you wrong.   :twocents:   :chillpill:

I hope so, but with all the DnJ parts...well I'll just keep my fingers crossed.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1507 on: Mar 14, 2018, 04:10:59 AM »
Hate to blow your bubble Gnarls, I've been working on cars since I was 8 (more years back than I want to say).  I have the machine shop do the boring and hone, then I do the cross-hatch myself. I set all the ring gaps and balance each piston set and rods. Sometimes I'll do the crank if the engine seemed rough at idle before teardown or I want a high winder. I do this in my garage with my scale, not in some fancy machine shop.  My engines always do over the 100k mark, my present is sitting at 214k and counting. So chalk one up for the shade tree mechs.  I think H8pvmnt's engine should be a real eye opener, can't wait to see it prove you wrong.   :twocents:   :chillpill:

Hey Slabzilla,

300k likes to post brash and provocative comments and that’s his perspective.  However, I also have a perspective and an alternate point of view.

Please re-read my comments.

There’s no bubble and nothing to prove.

You said:  “I have the machine shop do the boring and hone” …. Would you describe that machine shop as “primitive”?

I said:  “That does not mean that a guy in East BFE can’t spend a couple grand on boring machine and a cheap honing tool, hand machine the block and build a reliable engine… but he better know what he’s doing!”

Do you “slap” your engines together?

Are you “inexperienced”?

Why do YOU do your crosshatching, ring gap check, weighing?

Here are my points you apparently missed….

The machining of the block is as critical as the assembly for a successful rebuild.

For every 1 guy that can rebuild an engine in his garage, under his tent, or in 6” of snow, there 10 others that post on a forum ….

“My engine won’t start, my engine won’t idle, my engine has a miss, my engine has no power, my engine is burning oil, my camshaft lobes are flat, my engine is making a noise, and 10’s of other questions and complaints.

Yes… ANYONE can “slap” an engine together…some even claim they can do it 2 hours. --- MOST are NOT a successful rebuild. 

How many posts can you find on ANY forum where the guy rebuilds an engine and then posts “Hey, my rebuilt engine just hit 100,000 miles, or 150,000 mile, or 200,000 miles."?

Regarding H8PVMNT’s rebuilds…

First, he is experienced.  He has a machine shop machine the block. When he finishes his budget build and whether it is successful may or may not “prove” anything. Perhaps we are discussing conceptual semantics and though he is using very carefully selected parts, I would not use the word “primitive” to describe his rebuild or how he is doing it.

He has yet to determine the cause of his last engine failure, and may not know.  I am very eager to learn as much as he is willing to share about his rebuild and what HE has learned. I admire his skills, knowledge, his environmental challenges, determination, and use of his limited resources.

I am rooting for his successful budget rebuild!!!

I have never said a “shade tree” mechanic, backyard, garage-based, DIYer cannot successfully rebuild an engine.

BUT what I have said is…..It is a lot more difficult than most of the posts on forums make it sound.

Again… Why does it take Jim at 22RE Performance 40 hours to rebuild an engine?  :dunno:

Gnarls.  :spin:

« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2018, 04:36:12 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1508 on: Mar 14, 2018, 04:23:08 AM »
I hope so, but with all the DnJ parts...well I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

What empirical evidence do you have that DNJ parts are not reliable and are the cause of engine failure?  :dunno:

Gnarls.  :inthedark:

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: Mar 14, 2018, 12:07:20 PM »
It will be fun to see how the orange engine does. While I don't consider it slapped together there were certainly budget compromises made, using certain parts and re-using others that happened to still be in spec.  I am more interested in tearing down the other one though.  Hopefully we can learn something from it.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1510 on: Mar 14, 2018, 02:24:14 PM »
It will be fun to see how the orange engine does. While I don't consider it slapped together there were certainly budget compromises made, using certain parts and re-using others that happened to still be in spec.  I am more interested in tearing down the other one though.  Hopefully we can learn something from it.

Two great advantages of the early Toyota engines is the relative simplicity of their designs and availability replacement parts.  :yesnod:

With some common sense, a good understanding of engine component specifications, selecting quality used or remanufactured components, a little help from reputable sources, and some pre-planning, gives an average DIYer - with basic mechanic skills and basic tools - the ability to successfully rebuild these engines….. and, it’s exciting and encouraging to see it and read about it being done.  :beerchug:

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: Mar 14, 2018, 02:47:16 PM »
Sorry G, not tryin' to get your panties in a bunch, just sayin' some guys can build an engine without an expensive shop emptying their wallets. I made a typo on my milage, it's 114k not 214 and counting.   :smack:  I've done the recycled parts thing inside the engine before, pistons-cam in new head-lapped valves-emorypaper polished cranks, to name a few, and they have all worked out OK.  I'm not sayin' everyone will get the same results, just that attention to detail and cleanliness are probably the most important tools in your arsenal. Just my two cents and no harm or malice intended.  :beerchug:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1512 on: Mar 14, 2018, 03:37:50 PM »
Sorry G, not tryin' to get your panties in a bunch, just sayin' some guys can build an engine without an expensive shop emptying their wallets. I made a typo on my milage, it's 114k not 214 and counting.   :smack:  I've done the recycled parts thing inside the engine before, pistons-cam in new head-lapped valves-emorypaper polished cranks, to name a few, and they have all worked out OK.  I'm not sayin' everyone will get the same results, just that attention to detail and cleanliness are probably the most important tools in your arsenal. Just my two cents and no harm or malice intended.  :beerchug:

Hey S,

No  harm, no foul.  :biggthumpup:

I just took you as saying that you thought I didn’t think a shade-tree mechanic could successfully rebuild an engine.  I know some backyard type engine building guys that I actually trust their rebuilding skills more than some of the so-called professional “expert” engine builders we all have read about.  :thumbs:

I completely agree that “attention to detail and cleanliness are probably the most important tools in your arsenal”.  The pro engine builders spend about 22% of their time disassembling and cleaning parts.  They probably have degreasing, parts washers and ultrasonic cleaners.  I spent more time cleaning parts and scraping off old gasket material than actually assembling the cleaned and new parts and gaskets.  I used brushes, paint thinner, lacquer thinner mostly… a lot of elbow grease with a putty knife and Stanley box cutter!!!  I went through dozens of Harbor Freight nitrile gloves!  :gap:

Gnarls.  :spin:

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: Mar 14, 2018, 03:51:57 PM »
Two great advantages of the early Toyota engines is the relative simplicity of their designs and availability replacement parts.  :yesnod:

With some common sense, a good understanding of engine component specifications, selecting quality used or remanufactured components, a little help from reputable sources, and some pre-planning, gives an average DIYer - with basic mechanic skills and basic tools - the ability to successfully rebuild these engines….. and, it’s exciting and encouraging to see it and read about it being done.  :beerchug:

Can you define pre-planning?  How about preliminary-pre-planning?  Doesn’t planning imply it happening prior to doing?

Where I work we use the term pre-planning ahead of execution. It explains a lot of our issues if I assume we skip the actual planning step.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: Mar 14, 2018, 04:02:31 PM »
Hey G, It's like I tell to all the folks that want my help, 90% of a Great Job is in the Prep, the rest is just the finishing details.   :thumbs:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1515 on: Mar 14, 2018, 04:53:12 PM »
Can you define pre-planning?  How about preliminary-pre-planning?  Doesn’t planning imply it happening prior to doing?

Where I work we use the term pre-planning ahead of execution. It explains a lot of our issues if I assume we skip the actual planning step.

Hey blackdiamond,

Ok… my definition is relative to my experience from the time I decided to restore my truck after sitting in my garage for almost 4 years.

I should have done way more research on just about every aspect of my rebuild and restoration.  I relied on my years of experience and limited 22RE rebuilding knowledge.

Example – I didn’t check to see what replacement parts may not be available.

Example – I didn’t anticipate what condition of a truck sitting for 4 years would be in.

Example – I should have spent more time researching performance options.

Example – I should have spent more time thoroughly understanding the precise machine work that would be done on the block and WHY.

Example – I should have spent more time researching what replacements parts would be the best choice for my goal.

And, I should have spent more calculating and predicting time and cost factors!

All of that - to me - is “pre-planning”.

I clearly executed my “plan” way before I had sufficient facts, and a valid and logical “pre-plan” compiled.

My “plan” was to simply rebuild the engine with known components and increase the torque and HP in my target RPM range, restore it to as original as reasonable, and enjoy using it as my daily driver again.

A “preliminary pre-plan” to me would be a concept of what steps I might go through.

How'd I do?  :gap:

Gnarls. :dunno:

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: Mar 14, 2018, 09:54:14 PM »
How long has it been since any actual work has been done to this truck?
Again lots of talk and very little action Gnarly. Chop chop
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1517 on: Mar 15, 2018, 04:04:43 AM »
How long has it been since any actual work has been done to this truck?
Again lots of talk and very little action Gnarly. Chop chop

Hey bgen,

I'm now driving my truck every day but I still need to do some work on it and I'm not completely happy with the rebuild.

I’ve been preoccupied with “life things”, unexpected expenses, and home maintenance issues.

In my past my truck and 4-wheeling occupied most of my time.  I look back now and realize I ignored more important aspects of my life and the people who were close to me.

Some wisdom I gained in my old age….. Being overly self-indulged while you are younger can come back to haunt you when you get older.

“There are three methods to gaining wisdom. The first is reflection, which is the highest. The second is limitation, which is the easiest. The third is experience, which is the bitterest.”

~  Confucius

Gnarls.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: Mar 15, 2018, 06:40:22 AM »
Hey blackdiamond,

Ok… my definition is relative to my experience from the time I decided to restore my truck after sitting in my garage for almost 4 years.

I should have done way more research on just about every aspect of my rebuild and restoration.  I relied on my years of experience and limited 22RE rebuilding knowledge.

Example – I didn’t check to see what replacement parts may not be available.

Example – I didn’t anticipate what condition of a truck sitting for 4 years would be in.

Example – I should have spent more time researching performance options.

Example – I should have spent more time thoroughly understanding the precise machine work that would be done on the block and WHY.

Example – I should have spent more time researching what replacements parts would be the best choice for my goal.

And, I should have spent more calculating and predicting time and cost factors!

All of that - to me - is “pre-planning”.

I clearly executed my “plan” way before I had sufficient facts, and a valid and logical “pre-plan” compiled.

My “plan” was to simply rebuild the engine with known components and increase the torque and HP in my target RPM range, restore it to as original as reasonable, and enjoy using it as my daily driver again.

A “preliminary pre-plan” to me would be a concept of what steps I might go through.

How'd I do?  :gap:

Gnarls. :dunno:

http://dilbert.com/strip/1996-07-05
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1519 on: Mar 21, 2018, 07:32:25 PM »
Does anyone know what these switches do, or did when my truck was new, or what they can do, what you may have them hooked up to if you have them on your vehicle?  :dunno:

My truck is a 1986 SR5, XtraCab, 22RE, 5-speed.  :greengrin:

Here's photo.....    https://imgur.com/a/95yWn

As far as I can tell, they are not connected to anything.  :confused:

Thank you.  :beerchug:

Gnarls. :inthedark:

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #1520 on: Mar 21, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
One may have been for a defroster for the rear window.    After market lights are another possibility.

I know that my console has knockouts there for switches.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1521 on: Mar 22, 2018, 03:14:45 AM »
One may have been for a defroster for the rear window.    After market lights are another possibility.

I know that my console has knockouts there for switches.

Hey emsvitil,

Can I reasonably assume that if the switches were there at the time the truck was purchased new, that they were hooked up to some feature?  If the previous owner installed them, into the knock outs you described, I am puzzled what they may have been hooked up to and were switching, if anything?  :dunno:

I will try to trace the wiring, if any.  :gap:

Thank you for your reply.  :beerchug:

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: Mar 22, 2018, 09:37:37 AM »
Does anyone know what these switches do, or did when my truck was new, or what they can do, what you may have them hooked up to if you have them on your vehicle?  :dunno:

My truck is a 1986 SR5, XtraCab, 22RE, 5-speed.  :greengrin:

Here's photo.....    https://imgur.com/a/95yWn

As far as I can tell, they are not connected to anything.  :confused:

Thank you.  :beerchug:

They do not exist in my 85 Xtra-Cab but, my rig is not an sr5.
fasterspider, now older and slower.

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: Mar 22, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »
Hey emsvitil,

Can I reasonably assume that if the switches were there at the time the truck was purchased new, that they were hooked up to some feature?  If the previous owner installed them, into the knock outs you described, I am puzzled what they may have been hooked up to and were switching, if anything?  :dunno:

I will try to trace the wiring, if any.  :gap:

Thank you for your reply.  :beerchug:

If you pull the switches, how professional is the removal of the knockouts? Few amateurs I know would trouble to clean up marks from knockout removal, while Toyota might.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1524 on: Mar 23, 2018, 03:05:13 AM »
I'm 95% sure that the switches are not aftermarket.  They are factory 1986.  :D

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: Mar 23, 2018, 03:14:47 AM »
Glad you figured it out. For our edification, would you mind telling us,

-- What tipped you off that they are factory?
 -- The all-important question: what did they hook up to?

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1526 on: Mar 23, 2018, 04:55:16 AM »
Glad you figured it out. For our edification, would you mind telling us,

-- What tipped you off that they are factory?
 -- The all-important question: what did they hook up to?

Hey Lewis,

I'm not 100% sure, but I did a search on Google for 1986 Toyota truck dashboards, and saw a photo with the same switches.  Also, the switches match the one on the left side for the factory SR5 package bed light on the back of the cab.

It would cool to find a "feature" options list for a 1986 Toyota truck.. the kind you find on the dealership pages.

Gnarls.

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: Mar 23, 2018, 05:52:54 AM »
Hey Lewis,

Also, the switches match the one on the left side for the factory SR5 package bed light on the back of the cab.

Hmmm. My 85, non-SR5 has a bed light, but the switch is to the left of the steering column, right beside the headlight dimmer switch :headscratch:

It would cool to find a "feature" options list for a 1986 Toyota truck.. the kind you find on the dealership pages.

It would, and it could get helpful, too. Maybe we should all start a thread, pool the knowledge we all have based on the equipment in our trucks, and make one?

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1528 on: Mar 23, 2018, 08:16:14 AM »
Hmmm. My 85, non-SR5 has a bed light, but the switch is to the left of the steering column, right beside the headlight dimmer switch :headscratch:

Yes, that's where my bed light switch is located.

Gnarls.

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #1529 on: Mar 23, 2018, 02:45:26 PM »
My bed light switch rocks vertical and has a different style than those.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15