Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 188991 times)

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5445
  • Male Posts: 3,398
  • Member since May '07
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #1770 on: Feb 03, 2019, 04:36:47 PM »
Gnarly, you need to start a thread on

"How NOT to rebuild an 22R"

:smack:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2140
  • Male Posts: 1,753
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #1771 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:23:47 PM »
Excuse Me but I believe We were promised some testing results?
Today even.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Snowtoy

• Online The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 726
  • Male Posts: 2,377
  • Member since Sep '03
« Reply #1772 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:51:05 PM »

:smack:

I think he kind of has............

JK, Gnarly, I think you got some poor quality parts and messed up something during the assembly.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Turtle Points: 3777
  • Male Posts: 3,147
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Marlin and I slid "The Sluice" Martinez Canyon
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1773 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:17:13 AM »

Hey e...

Well... I will happily share my experience with anyone that is not an expert engine builder, that wants to get greasy doing a complete rebuild on a 22RE, what I would do differently!

I have learned too much too late.  I now have a list of "Do's :thumbs: and Don'ts"  :yikes:  when rebuilding a 22RE.

Gnarls.  :gap:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1774 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:23:18 AM »
Excuse Me but I believe We were promised some testing results?
Today even.

Hi bgen...

Sorry... I didn't get the re-test done yesterday. 

Yesterday my morning started at about 4am.  I fed the kids, made a pot of coffee.  I stumbled into my computer room, with a full cup of coffee (cream & sugar, that's all) in my hand, stubbed my toe on my chair, put my coffee down on the desk on top of a roll of tape, it tipped over and spilled ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD, DESK, CALCULATOR, PAPERS, RAN DOWN ONTO THE FLOOR!!  That's how my Super Bowl day started.  After I got it all cleaned up, took my keyboard all apart, cleaned it, put it back together, I looked outside and it was pouring down raining!  At that point I figured something was telling me to sit down and not do anything.

So... I WILL do the re-test this Saturday.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~26,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1775 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:31:11 AM »
I think he kind of has............

JK, Gnarly, I think you got some poor quality parts and messed up something during the assembly.

Hey S...

Yeah... I gotta believe there is something wrong with some "parts".  Did I mess up the assembly?  :dunno:

That is definitely a possibility.  I did take extra care and lots of time with the assembly, verifying as I went along. 

BUT.... I've been known to "mess up" an oil change!!  :yikes:

Gnarls. :gap:

Snowtoy

• Online The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
« Reply #1776 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:18:38 PM »
From the start you had oil leaks and consumption, valve issues, and now a bad HG, something went south had to be bad from the start with the machining you had done locally and/or with the assembly, it can't all be the parts, if it is, you would have to be the least lucky guy on the planet, well at least the least lucky Toyota owner on the planet. :gap: 
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1777 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:49:11 AM »
From the start you had oil leaks and consumption, valve issues, and now a bad HG, something went south had to be bad from the start with the machining you had done locally and/or with the assembly, it can't all be the parts, if it is, you would have to be the least lucky guy on the planet, well at least the least lucky Toyota owner on the planet. :gap: 

Hey Snowtoy….

OIL LEAKS:  My oil leaks were at the input shaft on the tranny – I installed the oil seal backwards!  There was a slight coolant leak at one of the rubber hoses on the Idle Control Valve.  Later, I had a coolant leak at the heater hose to block.  No crankcase oil leaks.

On the valves:  Something didn’t sound right from the moment I fired the engine.  There was knock that was not right, so I had concerns from the beginning about the head.  The valve lash kept going tight at low mileage. That concerned me and seemed abnormal.

The head gasket:  The rocker cover gasket kit was junk, so if the head gasket has failued, I’m not totally surprised.  So, is the head gasket junk too?  Does the head have some issues that would cause a head gasket failure? I torqued the new head bolts per Tod at engnbldr.

The block and machine work:  I made a mistake by trusting the machine work.  I should have made the shop show me EXACTLY what was done, all specifications, tolerances, and measurements - including the boring and honing, and especially the RA on the hone.  My local machine shop has a good local reputation (been in business for 52 years!) and builds race engines and RV engines.  I toured the shop so I felt I had chosen a high quality shop to do the basic machine work on the block (.020” overbore, .006” on clean and deck) including magnaflux, sonic test, and everything balanced. They had the timing cover, pistons, rods & bushings, crank, pressure plate & fly wheel.

My bad luck:  Yep, I’d say that I had more bad luck than I deserved.

I won’t really know anything for sure until the engine is disassembled and inspected.

Gnarls. :blah:

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1083
  • Male Posts: 415
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #1778 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:07:43 PM »
Hey Gnarls,  sometimes the machine shop does the incorrect RA for the rings they or you supply.  Chrome rings require a different RA than others, etc.  A head gasket, no matter who makes it can have defects that can fail right out of the box.  You'll spend a boat-load of coin having 22RE do a tear-down when you should probably just take the head off yourself, look at the cyl. walls and see if it looks like there might be a broken ring gouging the wall somewhere to go with the blown head gasket.  I'd change out the rings anyway, just to be sure, if the head gasket doesn't show a leak from an oil passage as well as a coolant passage :twocents:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, 4.10's, 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 6755
  • Male Posts: 2,422
  • Member since May '15
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1779 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:21:06 PM »
Here we are 60 pages in on a rebuild of a 22re

I just have to do it. I cant help myself gnarls.

3rz
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1780 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:49:05 AM »
Hey Gnarls,  sometimes the machine shop does the incorrect RA for the rings they or you supply.  Chrome rings require a different RA than others, etc.  A head gasket, no matter who makes it can have defects that can fail right out of the box.  You'll spend a boat-load of coin having 22RE do a tear-down when you should probably just take the head off yourself, look at the cyl. walls and see if it looks like there might be a broken ring gouging the wall somewhere to go with the blown head gasket.  I'd change out the rings anyway, just to be sure, if the head gasket doesn't show a leak from an oil passage as well as a coolant passage :twocents:

Hey S,

Yeah… I could spend too much to find out what happened.  If I have 22REP build me a long block, I’d want to send them my engine anyway.  I could pull the engine, send Jim the rings and have him tell me what he thinks, since he suggested the oil consumption and low compression could be bad rings out of the box. :hammerhead:

I have given some serious thought to pulling the engine and doing my own tear down and diagnosis.  I don’t know that I can stand to park my truck and store it for another 2 or 3 years.  :sad2:

I plan to pull the rocker cover off again tomorrow or Sunday and do another test for bgen. :thumbs:

Do the oversized stainless steel valves tend to burn quicker than sodium filled? :dunno:

Gnarls. :inthedark:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1781 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:01:42 AM »
Here we are 60 pages in on a rebuild of a 22re

I just have to do it. I cant help myself gnarls.
3rz

Hey redneckcustoms13,

Well that conversion or swap seems pretty popular.  I think I can find lots of threads with lots of issues doing that swap.  Is it a good swap? Yeah. :yesnod:

I'm trying to keep my truck as original as reasonable.  Since my first 1986 Long Bed with a 22RE that I bought in 1986 ran so well, I'd like to get this truck and engine rebuilt with some minor to moderate enhancements to keep the truck as stock as possible.  It is in such incredibly good condition for a 33 year old Toyota truck.  If I were to actually do a complete engine swap, it would be to a V-8 (LS).  Gaining 40 HP with 3RZ engine just isn't worth the swap for me.  And with a 3RZ I don't know if I could do my own maintenance on it? :headscratch:

That's just think'n right now.  Things can always change. :gap:

Gnarls. :biggthumpup:

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1782 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:05:26 AM »
A 3rz and 22r are nearly identical internally. 3rz has counter balance shafts and 4 valve per cylinder is the difference. The shafts can be deleted if someone decides to or for whatever reason they have an issue. I personally haven't seen issues. The 2rz does not have cb shafts and when torn down looks just like the internals of a 22r. The valves are bucket shimmed rather than the annoying rockers that tick. I only suggest the rz swap because I know how much you truly love this vehicle and want to keep it "original" how much better can you get than an engine that is 10 years newer and literally bolts in place of the original? I understand you want to keep the 22re because your first one treated you well.

Try think of it this way if you will. Do you make coffee in the morning with a percolator or do you have a normal coffee pot? Do you use a rotary dial telephone or do you have a modern touch screen smart phone?

Dont get me wrong a 22r is great. Just as a percolator is a great way to make coffee. With the modern technology that is available more power and less stress is among us. I embrace the power and obd2 capabilities of the rz engines. Darn a 22re and it's useless diagnostics counting blinks of the cel and using a paperclip to jump pins. Just my $.02 it may be worthless.  :gap:
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1783 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:53:33 AM »
A 3rz and 22r .... I embrace the power and obd2 capabilities of the rz engines. Darn a 22re and it's useless diagnostics counting blinks of the cel and using a paperclip to jump pins. Just my $.02 it may be worthless.  :gap:

OK... I respect your opinion and it's not worthless to me!  So... I admit that I have not really looked heavily into a 3RZ swap.  I like the idea of a "bolt in" swap.  Can I hook up my AC unit?  How money does it cost to replace the "stuff" to bolt one into my truck?  I have to swap the ECU and wiring, right?  I believe that AZ Rocket down in Tucson area had to take the 4Runner to a Toyota shop to get the valve lash checked and adjusted.  Is that a typical maintenance requirement and how often do I have to do it?

I will have to read in detail Big Mike's post on this swap to educate myself.

I'll do some research on this swap and see what I find. :thumbs:

Gnarls. :blah:

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1784 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:16:15 AM »
The engine requires a modified pan to clear your ifs suspension but is available from toy only swaps. They also makes the engine mounts you need. The wiring isnt bad when you have the efi truck already. Just extend fuel lines. If you have a top plate style ac compressor you unbolt your top plate and bolt it to the one on the 3rz.

The Arizona guys didnt need to take it to a shop. I have done many 3rz valve shim adjustments and it isnt that hard.
06 tacoma street truck

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1785 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:04:29 AM »
One thing I noticed about the 3RZ is the peak torque number.  The specs I've seen show peak torque of about 177 lbs at 4,000  RPM.  At freeway cruise speed of between 75 and 80 MPH (3,000 to 3,200), my RPM is right in the middle of my peak torque in my 22RE. With my rebuild specs, my engine should be producing about 154 lbs of torque at 3,000 RPMs.

Of course right now it ain't produc'n didley!!!  :smack:

How many lbs of torque is the 3RZ producing at 3,000 RPMs?  :dunno:

Gnarls.  :spin:
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2019, 07:04:19 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1786 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:58:44 AM »
UPDATE FEBRUARY 10, 2019

22RE Rebuild testing to determine engine failure:

Per bgen’s instructions (Thanks bgen!), I backed off all the rockers and did another compression test.

Engine warmed to normal operating temp, fuel injector fuse pulled, coil wire pulled, throttle linkage wide open, intake tube to throttle body off.

Results:

# 1 – 70 lbs.
# 2 – 80 lbs.
# 3 – 190 lbs.
# 4 – 184 lbs.

I think bgen would call the results.... "curtains"  :sad2:

First compression test - lash adjusted:

#1 = 33 lbs.
#2 = 65 lbs.
#3 = 155 lbs.
#4 = 150 lbs.

Leak Down test – piston TDC per cylinder, at firing order.  Gauge PSI @ 75 PSI

#1 = 11 PSI -  leak % = 85% - air leaking out exhaust
#2 = 13 PSI -  leak % = 83% - air leaking out exhaust
#3 = 64 PSI – leak % = 15% - pushed coolant out radiator filler, no bubbles detected, air leaking out rocker cover
#4 = 42 PSI  - leak % = 44% - air leaking out rocker cover

Gnarls. :down:

« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2019, 09:35:14 AM by Gnarly4X »

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 783
  • Male Posts: 2,532
  • Member since May '02
« Reply #1787 on: Feb 10, 2019, 09:13:13 AM »
Not good, time tear it apart!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1788 on: Feb 10, 2019, 09:26:44 AM »
Not good, time tear it apart!!

Hi OOPS... yes it is.  I can pull the head and get that over to my local head shop here and find out the issues there.  I won't really be able to get a good diagnosis on the pistons or rings without pulling the engine.  I could of course inspect the cylinder walls.  I'd need a profilometer to check the RA.

Gnarls.

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1752
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Jul '06
« Reply #1789 on: Feb 10, 2019, 09:40:58 AM »
You put in any aftermarket valves?  Like the lce 1mm oversized?

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1790 on: Feb 10, 2019, 10:04:00 AM »
You put in any aftermarket valves?  Like the lce 1mm oversized?

Hey E.... the head is from engbldr.  Oversized valves.  I believe its the one from DNJ.

Gnarls.

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1752
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Jul '06
« Reply #1791 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:29:42 AM »
I have 1mm oversized in mine from lce.  Installed and checked by machinist.  Funny thing is, i get about 3000 miles and it starts to run a little bumpy then progressively gets worse until dead misfire at low rpm.  Twice ive had to adjust the valves and only got about 10k on engine rebuild.  Both times i found valves too tight primarily on exhaust...  they are supposed to work with stock seats... I wonder if the material is too hard/soft or the cut on the valve is a little off causing it to dig in.  Anyways, if i continue to have to adjust these valves down i assume its a matter of time before a bigger problem arises.  Until then im gunna drive it until there is a problem.  Reason is, the lce turbo pistons from their pro kit are about .020 taller than stock! They dont tell you this! Long story short my pistons were smacking my cylinder head.  I was in a pinch and had to get my truck driving so i ended up getting a super thick mls head gasket.  So, basically i know that my engine has some form of premature wear out of the gate, tear down is in its future.  Right now it runs great and i dont have to DD it   i can then keep wheeling it.  I gave you a long response for you pleasure gnarly, mostly babbling, but i suspect those aftermarket valves might lead to something, if not you maybe me...

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #1792 on: Feb 10, 2019, 01:35:36 PM »
Very sorry to hear the results Gnarly.
What a horrible bummer.
I’ve had engine repairs/ rebuilds go horribly wrong before.
I once had a Jeep V8 engine that went to a level of insanity.
I pulled the heads to have hardened valve seats installed. This was a common job back when I was a rookie.
The machine shop set one of the valve guides to tight. After a week It stuck the valve long enough for the piston to come up smack it. I pulled the head and sent it back to the machine shop. They said they couldn’t see anything wrong, repaired the head and valve then sent it back. I reinstalled and gave it back to the customer. Two weeks later it’s back on the tow truck. Diag revealed the same valve bent again. Pulled the head sent back to machine shop.
They honed the guide replaced the valve and sent it back. I reinstalled the head. While talking to the customer on the phone I literally heard the engine bend the same valve again. I sent the head to a different machine shop to find out what was going wrong. They found that the valve guide was way way to tight causing the valve to stick. They repaired And I reinstalled. Fixed
It can be much much worse.
If your ready to sell it Just let me know.
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1793 on: Feb 10, 2019, 01:37:04 PM »
I have 1mm oversized ..

He E.... Well... I think what just said is exactly what happened to my engine.  From when I first fired it, my gut said "there's something wrong with the valves".  Then the exhaust went tight very quickly, rough idle, then slight misfire!

I suspect something in the machining, installation, valves or valve seats.  Also, I'm concerned that this cam profile is not compatible with Mama ECU.... perhaps too much overlap.  It ran strong though?... even when burning a quart of oil every 600 miles??  The parts from the engnbldr kit is probably chunk.......

From the start...

timing chain guides did not fit, I had to slot the bolt holes.

Rocker cover and grommets were junk, split apart after one R&R.  I've bought and installed the Beck Arnley kit from Rock Auto and its really hiqh quality.

Leaking freeze plugs.

Bad piston rings... weak spring pressure or wrong/poor moly coating - suspected by Jim at 22REP.

Now head gasket leaking or cracked head?... possibly the block, but not likely.

Probably find bad valves, valve seats, seals?  Maybe some burnt exhaust valves.

The 261C Cam didn't look well cast... several lobes were out of alignment with the rockers.

I didn't really like the looks of the new oil pump, the original Toyota factory was way better made.

I suppose there are more things I could list here, or may discover, but overall... I'm VERY disappointed in the DNJ kit so far.

Gnarls.

head gasket leaking/blown,
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2019, 05:23:21 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1794 on: Feb 10, 2019, 01:41:38 PM »
Very sorry to hear the results Gnarly.
What a horrible bummer.

Thanks for all your help bgen! :beerchug:

Yes.... I have learned a $5,000+ lesson.  I hope anyone that reads my thread here can get a few take-aways from my experience.   :smack:

Once I get the engine pulled and really see what happened, I will finish my thread here with some Do's & Don't's from a DYIer. :thumbs:

I'll post some more thoughts later. :blah:

At this point I plan to finish my restoration of this truck, if I don't get too discouraged, and run of patience, money, and time.  :gap:

Gnarls. :sad2:

Snowtoy

• Online The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
« Reply #1795 on: Feb 10, 2019, 02:12:10 PM »
If the cylinder walls look fine, you could just drop the pan and remove the pistons and re-ring them, then again if the freeze plugs are leaking, and you want to change the water pump, you might as well just pull it before you remove the head.  Did the machine shop you used supply/install the freeze plugs?

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #1796 on: Feb 10, 2019, 03:15:43 PM »
I truly believe the best approach to this catastrophe is to pull the engine and send it to a professional for complete inspection and work from there. No attempt should be made to save time or money at this stage. Honestly that’s part of what lead to this point in the first place.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1797 on: Feb 10, 2019, 03:20:13 PM »
If the cylinder walls look fine, you could just drop the pan and remove the pistons and re-ring them, then again if the freeze plugs are leaking, and you want to change the water pump, you might as well just pull it before you remove the head.  Did the machine shop you used supply/install the freeze plugs?

Hey S....

Yeah... that option has been suggested, but if I am going to rebuild it, I will start from scratch and do it right... or send it to 22REP and have them rebuild it.  Dropping the oil pan requires dropping the front axle - big pain. Since I have two leaking freeze plugs, I would want to pull the engine and replace all of them.  I installed the freeze plugs from the engnbldr kit.

If I rebuilt myself, it will be easier for me if it is on the engine stand.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1798 on: Feb 10, 2019, 03:22:06 PM »
I truly believe the best approach to this catastrophe is to pull the engine and send it to a professional for complete inspection and work from there. No attempt should be made to save time or money at this stage. Honestly that’s part of what lead to this point in the first place.

That's what I plan to do.  I would like a professional to examine and diagnose the failure(s).  I REALLY WANT TO KNOW THE FACTS!  :yikes: :blah: ???

There's a part of me that wants to have Jim build me a long block, let him supply the block, and I would make another attempt at rebuilding this engine.  :gap:

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2019, 03:29:43 PM by Gnarly4X »

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1083
  • Male Posts: 415
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #1799 on: Feb 10, 2019, 04:39:30 PM »
Sorry Gnarls, sounds like you've got the royal flush, 1&2 burnt or bent valves or bad valve seats.  Numbers 3 blown head gasket to coolant and oil & 4 blown head gasket to oil passage.  rings may be involved, but I'm betting not.  Keep us informed.  Sorry for your continued bad luck.  I've used Fel-pro gaskets top to bottom on my last three builds with no probs, "your experience may vary" as I always say.  Do what works for you.  Good luckon the next rendition.   :twocents:   :biggthumpup:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, 4.10's, 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders