Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 392818 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #1080 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:51:45 PM »
WARNING: The following post may contain a bazinga.  If your humor is not fully functional please just skip to the next post.

DISCLAIMER: This post should in know way be received as a reflection on 300Ks mechanical abilities.  Would you at least allow him to air down your tires?

Are you worried that he won't get it done right the first time?  :D

I'm not worried at all.  The likelyhood that 300k would be allowed to touch my truck is very remote.  :shake:

Disclaimer:  I have no idea as to his level of auto mechanical skills, however, judging from his posts, I think he knows enough to be extremely dangerous! LOL...  :yikes:

BUT... so far based on this rebuild, I would NOT brag about my auto mechanical skills!!!  :disturbed:

Gnarls.  :gap:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1081 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:56:05 PM »
I choose to assume that this is a shot in my direction.  :down:

I have no problem admitting that wrenching isn't my skill or interest, so am happy to pay to have the job done right.  My first 85 truck was built in 2002 and the 4Runner was built in 2008.  I have not had a trail break in the past 15 years thanks to the work that has been done for me.  I've done a little bit more than shocks and am capable of a tad more than I've done, but it's just not my what I enjoy doing.

I don't know who was getting the "shot", but I know guys that will pay to have their rigs set up, modified, and maintained, and there's nothing to be ashamed of with that.  AND.. there are many many posts on lots and lots of automotive sites describing how some backyard DIYer fubar'd his whatever!!  I have fubar'd things more than once!!!

Gnarls. :blah:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1082 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:02:04 PM »
:haha:

Yeah... you guys in the sand box get so boring the posts stop, so I have to keep pumping pomp n' stink into it!!

And, yes... may old body gets sore now.....   And, I do pop the hood and then get in the sand box for 3 days.... I'm procrastinating... you will get there some day!

So when you are 70 years of age I don't want to read about all your aches and pains!!

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1083 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:04:13 PM »
Oh man.

Yeah... I said something similar to that, but I added some potty mouth adjectives, with some cringing facial expressions!!

Gnarls.  :gap:

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1084 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:45:33 PM »
My auto mechanics experience is limited at best...but that's not really a bad thing considering I've been doing it for less than 2 years. I also didn't have a kick arse mentor to teach me everything.  I was 13 when I picked up my Toyota, and before that I'd only done oil changes, brake jobs, and spark plugs on random vehicles. Since then, I've rebuilt the carb, replaced a t case housing plate, replace an alternator, replaced a starter, and now I am rebuilding a motor. I've done a couple brake jobs, but recently I did front and rear brakes on ORM's Yukon. had front rotors turned, did new pads. Rear had one sticking caliper that required new rotors with new pads and also a caliper replacement. I've done window regulators, door latch mechanisms, water pumps, etc.

I do learn a lot based on my experience. Next time I do a temp gauge, I will call LCE and tell them to send their coolant manifold with either a pilot hole or undrilled so I don't have to waste time drilling adapters. They send it drilled way too big, which I can only imagine is for a mechanical sender or some random brand that uses a 3/8th sender. OOPS also helped me out a lot by telling me the best place to find 12v that's on with the key is right off the key tumbler itself.

best way to learn is by doing...and that's why I picked a 1800 dollar Toyota...the only issue is that it's a toyota and it broke way less than I thought it would...shoulda got a chevy LOL
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:47:07 PM »
Yeah... you guys in the sand box get so boring the posts stop, so I have to keep pumping pomp n' stink into it!!

And, yes... may old body gets sore now.....   And, I do pop the hood and then get in the sand box for 3 days.... I'm procrastinating... you will get there some day!

So when you are 70 years of age I don't want to read about all your aches and pains!!

Gnarls.

When I am 70 you’ll be 100+. Hope you’re around to read my posts. May you live long and prosper 🖖.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1086 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:23:08 PM »
When I am 70 you’ll be 100+. Hope you’re around to read my posts. May you live long and prosper 🖖.

Hey blackdiamond,

Well.... thank you, I enjoy your posts.  I am working on living a little longer. I'm 100+ days on a vegan diet.  I may live a little longer, I'm not sure about the "prosper" part.  :dunno:

Gnarls.  :bananajumprope:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1087 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:25:06 PM »
My auto mechanics experience is limited at best...

300k... no worries... you'll be a wizard before you know it.  :thumbs:

In the words of Albert Einstein... "The only source of knowledge is experience."

Gnarls. :gap:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1088 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:36:06 PM »
While looking at the oil leak on the bottom of the bell housing, I discovered a coolant leak! :yikes:

https://imgur.com/a/Gz5oc

I'll be fixing that tomorrow morning. :gap:

Gnarls. :disturbed:

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1089 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:41:47 PM »
I had that same leak. I just pushed the hose down farther and ram rodded the clamp. Why is your manifold yellow lol

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1090 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:08:41 PM »
I had that same leak. I just pushed the hose down farther and ram rodded the clamp. Why is your manifold yellow lol

300k... again you continue to demonstrate your ignorance and unfamiliarity with a 32 year old Toyota truck.  Perhaps your methods and fixes work for you.  :dunno:

Unless the coolant pipe is brand new, they will most likely be rusted and corroded inside, thin metal on tubing.  If you "ram rod" the clamp, you can completely collapse the pipe.... now you will buy a new one or have H8PVMNT send you one of his from his "shed-stock".  :gap:

I'm going to remove it, see what condition the metal tube and hose are in and then seal the hose with Ultra Grey.  I will then replace the stock hose clamps with 3 stainless steel hose clamps.... and I will not be "ram rodding" them.  :thumbs:

That's just my experience... yours is obviously different.  :D

Gnarls. :spin:

« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2017, 03:02:33 AM by Gnarly4X »

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1091 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:16:11 PM »
Just disconnected it recently when I pulled the motor. Tube is fine. Also my truck is coming up on 34 years!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1092 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:17:28 PM »
.... Why is your manifold yellow lol

I spray painted the exhaust manifold with header paint.  It turned yellow after about 10 minutes.

I like it!!

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1093 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:21:51 PM »
Just disconnected it recently when I pulled the motor. Tube is fine. Also my truck is coming up on 34 years!

Well...you are in good shape and fortunate that your engine coolant was replaced frequently and kept the corrosion and electrolysis down. 

I forgot now... what caused the engine to lose coolant and overheat while on the "gap"??

Gnarls.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1094 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:23:17 PM »
I forgot now... what caused the engine to lose coolant and overheat while on the "gap"??

That would be a carefully balanced mix of new rubber motor mounts and a jerry rigged lower radiator hose :gap:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1095 on: Dec 20, 2017, 02:46:52 AM »
That would be a .... jerry rigged lower radiator hose :gap:

Thank you… THAT is a point I was making.

I sand dune’d for about 8 years. I saw too many guys spend time and money to get to the dunes for a 2 to 4 day weekend trip and then spend most of their time “fixing” something.  It used to drive me nuts!  :willynilly:

50% of the time the failure was because they were simply lazy and did not properly prep their sand rail BEFORE they arrived at the dunes.  25% of the failures were because they “jerry rigged” their crap.   15% of time they abused their rigs.  9% of the failures was just bad luck and unexpected component failure. The remaining 1% of the failures was most likely caused by their own bad karma.  They ended up burning valuable daylight, but worse, they caused others to volunteer to help them fix their stupidity, or just got some great help in a time of need.  Those numbers varied on any given trip.   :thumbdown:

When I started 4-wheeling in 1986... Because I did NOT want to be “that guy”, I made love to my truck a couple times BEFORE the next trail run.  Even then, I STILL had minor failures once in awhile.  My last major “failure” was stupidity on my part – I should have determined exactly what the squealing sound was BEFORE attempting to drive 70 miles down the freeway. :smack: ..... I WAS that guy!  :hammerhead:

Gnarls.  :blah:

« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2017, 02:54:24 AM by Gnarly4X »

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1096 on: Dec 20, 2017, 07:20:06 AM »
Looks like the McDonald's edition with the red and yellow.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1097 on: Dec 20, 2017, 11:39:44 AM »
Looks like the McDonald's edition with the red and yellow.

LOL... yeah... I'd call it a BIG MAC.. but I'd be exaggerating.... so I call it my Egg McMuffin Grande!!  :gap:

https://imgur.com/a/np7oj

https://imgur.com/EG8LtM6

https://imgur.com/uTdAdm6

Gnarls.  :D

« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2017, 11:57:22 AM by Gnarly4X »

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #1098 on: Dec 20, 2017, 03:23:01 PM »
What color was the manifold before heat?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1099 on: Dec 20, 2017, 04:03:36 PM »

knowing gnarls, I'd say pink!

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #1100 on: Dec 20, 2017, 04:16:04 PM »
Looking at where it is orange fading to yellow I would think it's red high temp engine paint. Probably the same as on the rest of the engine it couldn't handle the heat. Probably rated for 500° or so.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1101 on: Dec 20, 2017, 07:23:25 PM »

It was orange.

https://imgur.com/a/jCB4X

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1102 on: Dec 20, 2017, 07:24:17 PM »
Looking at where it is orange fading to yellow I would think it's red high temp engine paint. Probably the same as on the rest of the engine it couldn't handle the heat. Probably rated for 500° or so.

Nope... header paint.

https://imgur.com/a/jCB4X

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1103 on: Dec 20, 2017, 07:26:05 PM »
knowing gnarls, I'd say pink!

I'm very comfortable with my masculinity... so HOT PINK is definitely an option for a header!  :clap:

Gnarls. :laugh:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1104 on: Dec 21, 2017, 02:27:16 AM »
UPDATE:  12-21-17

I drained the radiator so I could get the hose off the coolant tube and not spill out coolant from the tube.

I removed the stock hose clamps, pulled the hose.  The tube is rusted as I noted when I assembled the engine.
In retrospect, I probably should have replaced the metal coolant pipe.

I took my Dremel tool and ground off most of the rust on the outside, then took emery cloth and smoothed it up.  I didn’t want to get too crazy about grinding the area on the tube that mates with the hose and grind off ALL the rust pitting.

Tonight I will apply some Permatex Clear

https://www.permatex.com/products/adhesives-sealants/sealants/permatex-clear-rtv-silicone-adhesive-sealant/

and stick the hose back on the tube, then use stainless hose clamps.

This style: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-1-1-4-in-Hose-Repair-Clamp-6712595/202309385

The 1986 stock wire style hose clamps, with their dual wire design, tend to cut into the hose… not really crazy about them.

https://imgur.com/a/C3o9C

https://imgur.com/a/oGTE9

https://imgur.com/a/FMSfl

https://imgur.com/a/CqYSS

Gnarls. :D

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2017, 02:42:50 AM by Gnarly4X »

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #1105 on: Dec 21, 2017, 03:12:35 AM »
I think you'd be better off with a fuel injection style hose clamp

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1106 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:02:49 AM »
I think you'd be better off with a fuel injection style hose clamp

Yes... I looked at those and they look nice. I have to check to see where I can get some.  I have the stainless steel ones.

Thanks

Gnarls.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #1107 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:58:41 AM »
I'm very comfortable with my masculinity...

I think most guys are. The real question is are you in touch with your feminine side :gap:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1108 on: Dec 21, 2017, 06:33:09 PM »
I think most guys are. The real question is are you in touch with your feminine side :gap:

Yes.... I'm in touch with MammaECU... that's as close as I can get to my "feminine side"!!  :gap:

Although... there were times in my earlier life that I was known as a "thavage beast".  :yupyup:

Gnarls.  :ladys-man:

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2017, 06:39:25 PM by Gnarly4X »

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:30:39 AM »
Are You replacing the hose also?
Did You already replace the hose with the new engine? Did You get aftermarket hose?
I would replace it with a quality Toyota one.
Is the pipe still available?
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.