Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 392665 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #900 on: May 07, 2017, 04:31:39 PM »
Gnarls,

I have been reading this thread with interest....

Hi Lewis,

Thanks for your thoughts and observations.

I have also read good and bad comments over the years regarding the quality of engbldr’s quality of parts sold.  But I've read good and bad comments on just about everything I’ve researched on the internet.

It is certainly possible I got bad or defective camshaft.  And, there have been some bad experiences with this camshaft posted here.

Yes, I have considered several possibilities.  Over the years I’ve purchased aftermarket parts from different sources and gotten bad parts.  I think it is way too common with aftermarket parts, probably most coming out of China.

My comments about the visual appearance of the cam are based on seeing 3 other cams for a 22.  The other thing that caught my attention when I installed the rocker rack was how far off the rocker pads were to the cam lobes.
My stock camshaft has rocker pad to lobe misalignment of .030” smallest to .068” largest.  Not one lobe was worn perfectly across the entire width.  But, the 261C cam has several pads that are off the lobe between .108” to .112”, and I posted photos of this.  So I immediately felt there could be a “quality control” issue here… a bad casting.  Even though Tod at engbldr said it's OK, I still don’t think the alignment should be off that much.

The old adage, "You get what you pay for" has been shown to be true with Toyota parts.  Engbldr's prices are lower than most sources for aftermarket performance camshafts for the 20/22s.  :dunno:

I mic’d the camshaft I removed from the old head, and all lobes heights are within FSM spec.

I was not able to remove the rocker rack today, but I will in the next few days.

I wish I was running a carb'd engine!

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:16:24 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #901 on: May 07, 2017, 05:26:21 PM »
... My main concern is the 3-4.5k range, where the 261 and 252 are nearly identical. This is the high-altitude interstate pass-climbing range. Since my gearing is so low I am not concerned with torque under 2k.

Yes, I see they are nearly identical numbers in that range, with the CC252S pulling a little harder between 4300 to 4800.

Look at the torque numbers for the Compcam and the 261C between 2500 and 3500 RPM.  THAT is the reason I am interested in the CC252S!  Of course, those are just numbers out of computer program.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:33:56 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: May 07, 2017, 07:36:25 PM »
I figured you'd thought of most of this.... but just the whole sound of that cam makes me really suspicious. Again, I have laughably little experience rebuilding engines, but you get a cam from a supplier with lower prices, it looks funny and the measurements aren't right, and you keep having problems that could be cam-related. It just seems like a really plausible tale.

But, the 261C cam has several pads that are off the lobe between .108” to .112”, and I posted photos of this...Even though Tod at engbldr said it's OK, I still don’t think the alignment should be off that much

If I read that right the new cam is at least .04" smaller than the old, and considerably more in places. I'm not an award-winning racecar tweaker, but speaking as a machinist, If I'd made any part, let alone an engine cam, that far off it would've gone right to the scrap bin. I literally can't remember the last time I held a tolerance that loose on anything! Of course, I've never made an engine cam, so my knowledge is limited. But the idea of such loose tolerances being "OK" gives my inner machinist fits.

This is just an under-educated opinion. It is subject to instant revision as more knowledgeable say what they think.

Lewis

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #903 on: May 08, 2017, 04:45:50 AM »
UPDATE MAY 8 - AM

Without degreeing* the 261C cam…  and it annoys me to think I should have to go to the extra expense and time to degree a camshaft to prove its specs are correct as published by the supplier.  BUT… that* is the suggested safe bet.

After more physical inspection of the stock cam profile.  Using the typical FSM procedure for adjusting valve lash, the measurement with a feeler gauge will be at the following location on each cam lobe:

From the front - in degrees from base of circle (opposite lobe peak)

#1 Intake….…90
#2 Exhaust…..90
#3 Exhaust….180
#4 Intake……180
#5 Intake……180
#6 Exhaust…180
#7 Exhaust….90
#8 Intake…… 90

Since the noise I’m hearing seems like rockers?, and knowing that the lash measurement on number 1 cylinder, which is done at 90 degrees from lobe peak, measured tighter than cam spec - .007” and .009” - after re-adjusting the lash at the base of the circle.  So… that may indicate that the ramp of the lobe on the 261C starts earlier than the stock cam.
In other words, if the ramp has started at 90 degrees from base, the lash adjustment made at that location will make the base circle measurement looser, a valve lash greater than the cam specs…. possibly causing excessive rocker tick?
In cam profile design, it makes sense to slow the closing of the valve before it hits the valve seat… helping reduce valve bounce and slam noise.

I am assuming the 261C has the same 110 degree lobe center as the stock cam.

The only two cylinders, that are adjusted according the procedure in the FSM that could affect the “correct” cam spec adjustment are 1 and 8.

Tod at engbldr did, in fact, suggest that I adjust the lash at the base of the lobe circle.  So, I will re-check and re-adjust the valve lash at number 1 and 8 cylinders and see if that makes any difference in the noise I’m hearing.  I will also carefully not over-torque the rocker cover.

NOTE:  For those of you who are running aftermarket performance cams in a 20/22 and may not be savvy on this procedure (base circle valve lash adjust), for this engine you only have to do this for number 1 and number 8 cylinders… unless otherwise recommended by the cam supplier.

Gnarls…. that’s just my opinion, it may be worthless.

andykrow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
« Reply #904 on: May 08, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »
Some people I know would not call it "beer"!  :shake:

Gnarls.

Well, over the 15-ish years I have been going to Utah things are slowly improving. Utah breweries can make full strength now. You just have to buy it in state-run liquor stores. A few years back everyone working in one of these was a deputized sheriff. At the Moab store the clerk usually had a visible gun and badge. And you still can't buy 6 packs or 12 packs, all beer is sold by the individual can or bottle which ends up being 2-3x what we pay in CO.  :shake:

Again, interesting spreadsheet! My butt dyno denies the low torque (haha), but the little bit of highway I have done is confirming what I see over 3k. My truck is pulling hills in 5th around 3k that definitely required a downshift before.

As for engnbldr, I have used the full timing "front end kit" twice and been very happy with the fit and finish. I put 50k-ish on both trucks that had that before I sold them with no issues. This and Ted always being so helpful to me led me to make my purchase. My machinist said the head and cam looked "great" and did not need to clean up the head in any way. Interestingly, he refused to put on the head gasket that I got from engnbldr, insisting that I go OEM Toyota. He said the brand engnbldr included tends to let loose after 30k miles.

Have you gone through everything but the cam at this point?

Can you describe more about the "base circle valve lash adjust" and why that is only done to 1 and 8 intake?

85 4runner, 22re, 5spd, Ultimate crawler, Alcan lift that is too high, 35s, ARBs.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #905 on: May 08, 2017, 11:03:31 AM »
Can you describe more about the "base circle valve lash adjust" and why that is only done to 1 and 8 intake?

Yes... when adjusting valve lash per FSM, those two cylinders will be at 90 degrees on each peak cam lobe.  The other 6 will be located at the base of circle.  I'll post a photo tonight.

Gnarls.

andykrow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
« Reply #906 on: May 08, 2017, 01:00:44 PM »
Well, just went through emissions and failed pretty bad on NOx. 33% higher than the allowable level. HC was SUPER low at 2% allowed, CO very low as well at under 0.5% allowed. My thinking is that I am lean.

Plan is to replace all vacuum hoses (not sure why I didn't do that before, they just all looked fine.), back the timing down to 0 degrees, and possibly move the AFM a click or two towards rich. It certainly looks like I have some room to move in that direction. Based on HC and CO. It has a new catalytic converter so that should not be hurting anything.

If I fail again after that I'll start my own thread on it, haha.

EDIT: Went ahead and started a thread. Don't want to hijack your engine issues, Gnarly.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 02:28:34 PM by andykrow »
85 4runner, 22re, 5spd, Ultimate crawler, Alcan lift that is too high, 35s, ARBs.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #907 on: May 08, 2017, 07:56:28 PM »
Hey andykrow...

That's OK, I've been hijacked before!!  :gap:

Your emissions failure due to high NOx may be related to my issue???

As you already know your high NOx is typically caused by a lean mixture.

I'm really hoping this 261C is not the cause of what I so far see as a lean mixture.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #908 on: May 08, 2017, 07:57:50 PM »
Yes... when adjusting valve lash per FSM, those two cylinders will be at 90 degrees on each peak cam lobe.  The other 6 will be located at the base of circle.  I'll post a photo tonight.

Gnarls.

If I adjust valve lash for #1 and #8 cam lobes, per the FSM procedure the lobes for both cylinders are positioned the same, so I would be measuring with the feeler gauge on the beginning of the ramp on the flank of the lobe or at 90 degrees from the nose of the lobe.  That area is where I believe the 261C seems to start it's duration, and of course on the exhaust lobe, where it would end its closing of the valve.  Does that make sense?

Naturally, I could be totally full of Bravo Sierra! :yikes:

I know, I know... I should just invest in a cam degree wheel and other tools necessary!!

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:09:45 PM by Gnarly4X »

andykrow

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
    • View Profile
    • Carver Surf Racks
« Reply #909 on: May 09, 2017, 09:18:55 AM »
Okay, so basically #1 and #8 intake could be a little on the tight side. Have you re-adjusted for this yet?

EDIT: brain fart, they would be a little on the loose end of things. decrease overlap, yes? What is the effect on mixture?

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #910 on: May 12, 2017, 02:56:10 PM »
Update May 12th, Friday

I have been delayed to get to work on my truck.  I have ordered the LCE Fuel Pressure Gauge Kit for the 22RE.  I still need to check the valve lash adjustment.  I will also do the same test on the EGR as andykrow has done.

I hope to work on it late next week.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:30:00 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #911 on: May 17, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »
Update May 17th, Wednesday PM.

I just received my new LCE Fuel Pressure Gauge. 

I didn't realize that it is NOT to be a permanently installed gauge, just for testing then remove it.

I will try to get it installed, test the fuel pressure and post a report.

Gnarls.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #912 on: May 17, 2017, 07:38:13 PM »
Please let us know what the thread sizes are for the banjo bolt (12mm x 1.5 ? ? ?)  so the rest of us can be frugal........

:wave:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #913 on: May 17, 2017, 07:43:10 PM »
Please let us know what the thread sizes are for the banjo bolt (12mm x 1.5 ? ? ?)  so the rest of us can be frugal........

:wave:

I will.

Gnarls.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: May 19, 2017, 06:04:13 PM »
Again, interesting spreadsheet! My butt dyno denies the low torque (haha), but the little bit of highway I have done is confirming what I see over 3k. My truck is pulling hills in 5th around 3k that definitely required a downshift before.

I completely agree with no low end with the 261 cam. On my way from Utah to Montana and home to Washington any time the RPM'do went below 3k I was down shifting.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #915 on: May 19, 2017, 06:10:03 PM »
I completely agree with no low end with the 261 cam. On my way from Utah to Montana and home to Washington any time the RPM'do went below 3k I was down shifting.

Well.. that drop you experience is supposed to be the "increase"... its touted as a "crawler" cam!  Does the 6 degrees of overlap in a 22RE cause the drop in torque in the lower RPMs??????   :dunno:

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #916 on: May 19, 2017, 06:17:36 PM »
Look at the torque numbers on this Excel sheet produced by Engine Analyzer - from off-idle to 3,000 RPM for the 261C compared to the stock cam, and the other profiles.

Mudder, do those torque numbers seem close to what you are experiencing?

Gnarls.

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: May 20, 2017, 03:07:38 AM »
The Schnieder is interesting too.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #918 on: May 20, 2017, 04:20:04 AM »
The Schnieder is interesting too.

Yes... that Schneider cam is showing some very strong torque numbers from 1K.  It also shows slightly more torque and HP from 4000 to 4500 RPM.  That range is where extra power would be nice when I have had to shift down for long uphill freeway climbs.

I'm tempted to buy that cam as my first cam swap "test".  I've been told by one Toy engine builder that those differences in numbers, produced by the cam, will not be noticeable in my butt-dyno without specific head modifications - larger valves and flow-tested porting.

Gnarls.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: May 20, 2017, 11:05:19 AM »
Look at the torque numbers on this Excel sheet produced by Engine Analyzer - from off-idle to 3,000 RPM for the 261C compared to the stock cam, and the other profiles.

Mudder, do those torque numbers seem close to what you are experiencing?

Gnarls.

If that were accurate it would explain why I prefer the stock cam over the 261. I do disagree with it going all the way to redline as over 4.5-5k the cam just falls flat on its face.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #920 on: May 21, 2017, 09:07:43 AM »
UPDATE MAY 21, Sunday AM

I tested the fuel pressure according to LCE's site:

EFI 22RE:
Disconnect the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator and plug it, you should see 38 – 44 psi
Reconnect the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator. Measure the fuel pressure at idling you should see 33 – 38 psi.
Stop the engine. Check that the fuel pressure remains above 21 psi for 5 minutes after the engine is turned off.
If pressure is high, replace the fuel pressure regulator.
If pressure is low, check the following parts:
• Fuel hoses and connections
• Fuel pump
• Fuel filter
• Fuel pressure regulator

And it passed all tests.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #921 on: May 22, 2017, 06:30:12 AM »
If that were accurate it would explain why I prefer the stock cam over the 261. I do disagree with it going all the way to redline as over 4.5-5k the cam just falls flat on its face.

Hey Mudder,

Can I assume that you have checked out other possible causes for your engine to "fall flat on its face" at around 4500 and 5000 RPMs?  Or.. are you convinced its the 261C cam?

Have you talked to Tod or Ted at engbldr?

How many miles on your rebuild?

Are you planning to change the cam?

Thanks,

Gnarls.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: May 22, 2017, 07:45:33 AM »
Well that rules out fuel pressure.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #923 on: May 22, 2017, 08:18:21 AM »
Well that rules out fuel pressure.

Hi H8PVMNT,

Yes... I'm glad because I didn't want to have to buy a new fuel pressure regulator, and R&R the chamber.  I doubt the new fuel filter could be so plugged it is causing a problem.

I'm at the point where I'm trying decide to just reinstall the stock cam that came out of head.  Or... buy a new camshaft.  If I buy a new cam, I'm debating between the one I had originally picked based on owner's feedback and Engine Analyzer's data -CompCam 252S.  It still shows the best numbers for my 2500 to 3500 RPM range.   BUT..... since I have done some mock pulls on the Schneider cams.... one of them looks VERY interesting and could be a good choice for me.

Here's the Excel sheet that I posted before, but I've added the Schneider cams.

What do you think?

Gnarls.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: May 22, 2017, 09:37:51 AM »
For me it would be a toss between the 252S and the Schneider 244-50 (tug boat bottom end).  The bottom Schneider is kind of interesting too but it seems kind of contrary to what you are aiming for since it looks more peaky.

I think the 252S is your best bet though...
– Steve McQueen

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: May 22, 2017, 11:37:03 AM »
I think if you chose either cam you would significantly increase the number of dollars you've spent on the motor which is where the upgrade will be most noticeable. at least with a thinner wallet,  your butt dyno will be lower in the seat and you might be able to feel a difference.
in all seriousness, you should take all future funds you plan on spending and save for a dual overhead cam 2rz/3rz and never look back. i feel like I am pleading with a gambling addict who thinks if he keeps spending more he will win :)

Then again, it was a 22R-E and an old 22R that were in Moab if that has any bearing on this discussion about which engine is the best...

Maybe when Gnarls has his 2nd or 3rd midlife crisis he will springs for a V6 Camaro or Mustang and then get some bolt-on upgrades for performance...
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: May 22, 2017, 12:29:27 PM »
I'm at the point where I'm trying decide to just reinstall the stock cam that came out of head.

2 months in, still not running right, this is what you should do, not buying another cam.

The stock cam will remove any "cam cause" from your running issues, and allow you to focus on other possible causes if your running issues remain.  You will also have a "stock" cam w/rebuild/other mods seat of the pants experience to compare with the other cams.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 22, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »
I love my 22r and I don't want a 3RZ in my 4Runner anymore, but I will concede you will never, ever get the power, drivability and economy of the 3RZ with a 22RE, even on a pimp's budget.

I still have that extra carb manifold for you though :).
– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #928 on: May 22, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »
I think if you chose either cam you would significantly increase the number of dollars you've spent on the motor which is where the upgrade will be most noticeable. at least with a thinner wallet,  your butt dyno will be lower in the seat and you might be able to feel a difference.
in all seriousness, you should take all future funds you plan on spending and save for a dual overhead cam 2rz/3rz and never look back. i feel like I am pleading with a gambling addict who thinks if he keeps spending more he will win :)

As I move through this rebuild project, I am concerned about my out of pocket costs in money.  I grossly under estimated the cost and time of the project.

I am not happy with the outcome and disappointed that the number of real and potential failures is so unexpected… it’s my inexperience and insufficient pre-start research.

I hope to get it running right without too much more financial investment.  Although I’m well north of $5,000, so a few hundred here and there to get it running the way I think it should doesn’t seem so significant now.

Regarding engine swaps, at this point, I would only consider swapping in a Toyota 22R, no other Toyota engine.  As I said, I will keep an open mind.

If I do an engine swap it would be Chevy 4.3L Vortec or I might build a 215ci aluminum block, like the old 1963 Buicks… but to get a referee pass and passed any emissions testing could be problem.

By the way, I’m not a gambler, but I am somewhat eccentric and probably addicted to my quest to make this rebuild successful.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #929 on: May 22, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »
I love my 22r and I don't want a 3RZ in my 4Runner anymore, but I will concede you will never, ever get the power, drivability and economy of the 3RZ with a 22RE, even on a pimp's budget.

I agree, but I was only really after a few more lbs of torque and a couple more HPs for passing.

As I said, if I wanted a reasonably low cost investment, serious power, with high reliability, availability of parts, fuel economy, and me being able to work on it... I'd swap in a Chevy 4.3 L Vortec V-6.

Gnarls.