Poll

poll

have
1 (100%)
have not
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: Apr 03, 2010, 12:30:36 PM

Author Topic: KDXSR5s Wyo DD Build: Starting To Come Together.............SLOWLY  (Read 136680 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
looks good.

Thank you.

great quick release, I'm going to do it this weekend...

Thanks! They are still going strong.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 11:00:04 PM by KDXSR5 »

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Wow the tires don't look huge for being on a stock truck.  Doesn't look like you'll need much trimming...  Besides flexed and turning. Good looking tires and awesome looking rims.  How much did the powder coat cost?

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Tires and rims look good Todd  :thumbs:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Wow the tires don't look huge for being on a stock truck.  Doesn't look like you'll need much trimming...  Besides flexed and turning. Good looking tires and awesome looking rims.  How much did the powder coat cost?

I had to beat the pinch weld down and massage the rest of the inner fender to make them clear while flexing/turning. I cut the plastic inner fender to fit back in there so I don't get a ton of road salt all over in there.

The powdercoating was essentially free. I went back to my old highschool, bought the powder off of the instructor for $10, and he let me use the sandblaster and the powdercoating gun/oven for free. This is the third set of wheels I have powdercoated there.

Tires and rims look good Todd  :thumbs:

Thanks! I like the tire/wheel combo a lot. It looks good and these tires so far have kicked tons of ass.

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
:) not a very good shot, but I don't think I have any offroad shots with new tires yet.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Looking good Todd.  :thumbs:

Thanks! :gap:

In other news, I blew a birfield today trying to get out of this hole. The picture does not do it justice. The passenger side has to go up a 4 foot wall, and the driver side is going up a 2 foot wall, and they are offset. While this is happening, the driver side rear is stuck in a foot and a half deep rut, and the rear axle is sitting on the ground. I couldn't get any pics of it on its side and way up in the air, but it was insane. I am very surprised I got no body damage.

Damn birfields.

Damn washouts.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
My check engine light came on on the way back into town at 20 mph too

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
So it turns out I did not blow a birfield. I instead broke a few teeth off of my ring gear. Nice eh?

Pic 1: Axle out of truck

Pic 2: truck

Pic 3: I thought it was birfs. Pulled them apart and found nothing.

Pic 4 & 5: What the... YUP missing a few teeth!

pic 6: axle sitting with old diff and replacement diff

pic 7: crappy pic of my home built dirtbike trailer getting it's diff robbed

That is about all I have to report I guess.

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
What ratio are your thirds I have a spare 4.10 third I'll give you for the shipping if it will help.
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
What ratio are your thirds I have a spare 4.10 third I'll give you for the shipping if it will help.

They are 4.10s. You don't have to do that man, you probably need them.

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete

They are 4.10s. You don't have to do that man, you probably need them.

Tod I have five 4.10 thirds now I am only gonna regear one of them 5.29 for a spare for now. The offer still stands if you need it brother.  My zip is 76667 and it weighs 62 lbs I can drop it in a 5 gallon bucket full of bubble wrap you just arrange fedex, ups, or usps.  
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 09:44:54 PM by redpim1 »
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile

Tod I have five 4.10 thirds now I am only gonna regear one of them 5.29 for a spare for now. The offer still stands if you need it brother.  My zip is 76667 and it weighs 62 lbs I can drop it in a 5 gallon bucket full of bubble wrap you just arrange fedex, ups, or usps. 

PMed
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2011, 09:10:49 PM by KDXSR5 »

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I need to do this: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/WindshieldTrim/index.html

My windshield trim blew off the truck the same day all this :pokinit: happened.

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
i really like your truck man. all too often i get caught up in "bigger is better" syndrome, which so far has resulted three half built trucks, and being without a 4wd for a year and half.

your truck inspires me to keep it mild until i actually need it bigger/more extreme.

4x4yota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 301
  • Male Posts: 1,256
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
sorry to keep intruding on your thread but I am curious to know how you like the ride of your custom built front leaf pack compared to before... Im looking to do the same on my 81 to fix the neg arch but not lift it to much just enough to level with the rear
Current:
85 yota 4x4 http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101931.new#new
Sold:
81 Yota 4x4 - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61025.0

Just remember that if the tires don't rub, then the tires ain't big enough -Runar

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
i really like your truck man. all too often i get caught up in "bigger is better" syndrome, which so far has resulted three half built trucks, and being without a 4wd for a year and half.

your truck inspires me to keep it mild until i actually need it bigger/more extreme.

Thanks! I think that is the very first time I have ever heard this truck called "inspiring"! There are definitely some things I would have done much differently, and there are many changes to come, but it is not bad for what it is.

sorry to keep intruding on your thread but I am curious to know how you like the ride of your custom built front leaf pack compared to before... Im looking to do the same on my 81 to fix the neg arch but not lift it to much just enough to level with the rear

They work great for my purposes. They ride much smoother, mainly because I am not bottoming out the suspension over EVERY SINGLE BUMP in the road like I did before I modified the spring packs. They flex decently for what they are as well.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2011, 09:12:12 PM by KDXSR5 »

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Nice work on those gears lol  :beer:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok, so its been a while since I updated. I bought some axle move forward plate things from Offroad Designs ( http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero%20Rates.htm ) to move my axle forward an inch, and I swapped my leaf spring sides so the one I bent is on the passenger side. I shortened my draglink as I am still using push pull steering. I got some longer rear shackles (no they are not hitting the bumper, it just looks like it) as a gift so I put those in along with new bushings and bolts. I got the new diff in THANK YOU RED! and I had it all buttoned up and driving. My driveshaft was too short so I was waiting on money to buy a spacer from bobby long. That never happened.

One day, I was driving to work and my brakes started making noise, so after work I pulled the brakes apart. Guess what? No brake pads and metal on metal contact. For some reason the pads that were on the truck had no wear bars, so one of the rotors got destroyed. So I was looking at buying at least one new rotor and new brake pads.

Then I went to the shed and found some ifs calipers from I think the 90, and guess what? THEY HAD BRAND NEW PADS IN THEM! So I thought, well, I can buy a couple landcrusier rotors and use these and have better brakes, or I can buy possibly two stock rotors and brake pads and have the same brakes. Not to hard of a choice eh?

So i bought new landcruiser rotors from napa and the toyota is one again sitting in pieces :( . I am going to make custom backing plate eliminators while I have the axle torn apart too.

PICS

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
SO... I made custom backing plate eliminators to keep rocks from getting trapped and ruining my rotors. Like these: http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/front-axle-parts/backing-plate-eliminator but still has support for the brake line.

Assembled.

Assembled.

What rear brakes? I wish I had the $$ to do rear disks and a t-case parking brake :( New shoes and turned rotors for now I guess.

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
damn dude. did work on those shoes!

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok, brakes have been done for a while. It stops really well now! and guess what? MY PARKING BRAKE WORKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

So I am now thinking about doing high steer on it. I have two ifs steering boxes to choose from, so all i need according to this link: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61148.0 is a flat pitman arm, 4 tie rod ends, tie rod, drag link, and of course the high steer arms.

Hopefully I will be able to do this soon because push pull steering is getting really old and with high steer I can move my axle further forward.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
So I was cruising along some county roads when it started to rain. Suddenly, my truck was reacting funny when I punched the gas or let off the gas. Must just be slipping on the mud, right?

WRONG!!!

I broke a rear main leaf :( only thing holding it up is the lower main leaf and my ghetto coil spring lift, which actually saved my ass out in the middle of nowhere this time. :gap:

It broke right at the u-bolt:

YotaNate

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Not good!  Time for some new parts me thinks!

Nate
"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Went to junkyard and found a 79 with rear springs in AWESOME shape. I forgot to take a pic of new vs. old, but the new ones from the 79 have about 2 inches more arch to them.

I pulled them in about one hour.

Pulled.

Installed.

Truck after install.

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
Good to see you're keepin' it alive!
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Good to see you're keepin' it alive!

Have not seen you around in a LONG time! :wave: It is tough keeping it going being a poor college student, but it is still putting along.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2011, 09:15:08 PM by KDXSR5 »

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Probably like $300. I have no way to buy it, let alone do anything with it.

Have not seen you around in a LONG time! :wave: It is tough keeping it going being a poor college student, but it is still putting along.

Hey well you are doing better than this poor college student. My rig still isn't running under its own power haha

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
Life got crazy but all is good.  :wave:
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6