Poll

poll

have
1 (100%)
have not
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: Apr 03, 2010, 12:30:36 PM

Author Topic: KDXSR5s Wyo DD Build: Starting To Come Together.............SLOWLY  (Read 136666 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Well, i want it in the bed because I may do a dual battery set up eventually, and I am tired of worrying about my battery slipping out of its holder and hitting my fan (it has happened to me once). I think i will probably just run a ground to those three somehow and call it good. Maybe I will run a ground cable from my engine to my frame and from my engine to my body. I will then run a ground from my body to my frame so that both the engine and body are grounded two ways. I will then run one ground cable from my frame to my battery (or two :gap: ) Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 08:20:14 AM by KDXSR5 »

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
definitely run those grounds...you can never have too many IMO.  Factory is one to the frame, then up to the block, and a strap off the back of the head to the firewall, and a small one over by/in the alt harness with an eyelet.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok. I started switching the airbox sides. I turned the bottom around on accident and got confused and didn't realize it until after I got done reworking the mounts. That is ok though. Now the intake hole is pointed directly at the inner fender subframe deal. The plan is to run my intake as seen HERE under phase II.5

Pics of modified mounts and a pic of it in final position (I will not drill holes and bolt it down until the engine is installed so then i can move it around if need be to make my intake setup work from the sensor to the intake):

Here is my current problem. Toyota couldn't just use 4 of the same closing mechanisms... no way that would be too easy. Instead they used 3 of one kind and 1 of another. So now I need to modify the bottom half of the airbox by moving the one that closes up over to the empty space and by making a lip for the one that closes down where the one that closes up currently is:

I hope this all made sense, I am so tired, off to bed for me.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2008, 04:25:17 PM by KDXSR5 »

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
cool, thanks :thumbs:

so where does the filter actually run to then? inside the cab behind the glove box or what?

you should hard wire up one of those electric leaf blowers at the intake for max airflow... :hahaha:

that would be kinda cool...
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
the filter is going to be in the box. the box is just being moved

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Correct, Josh.

NCT, I believe you are asking were the intake starts? It goes up into the cowl area about an inch or two, just far enough to keep it in there. The only filter is the stock one in the airbox.

I am off tomorrow, but I feel like crap, so I probably wont get anything done.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
well I finished modding the airbox. Now i need to pull the wires out of the harness to swap them over to the passenger side. Tomorrow. Maybe.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
:)

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Done with this:

Stupid soldering iron took crap while in the middle of wiring:

J-arm sent off to be flipped

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 08:27:51 AM by KDXSR5 »

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
:)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=40464.0;attach=100614
Make sure you don't try to go the easy route like me, I tried to do it without pulling the steering wheel cause i don't have a steering wheel puller, well it almost worked, but then it boke... still isn't fixed. 

Lookin good...

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Is Duffil doing the flip?

:yesnod:

Make sure you don't try to go the easy route like me, I tried to do it without pulling the steering wheel cause i don't have a steering wheel puller, well it almost worked, but then it boke... still isn't fixed. 

Lookin good...

Thanks for the heads up, i appreciate it.

I have been told that a steering wheel puller is not needed before.

I will find out when i try to do it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 08:34:10 AM by KDXSR5 »

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
new horn contact, I am tired of not having a horn. I have never owned a truck with a working horn and with the cost of gas going up i can't just rev the piss out of my engine to get peoples attention. plus I am babying my new engine for a while.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Houston, i believe we have found the horn problem! (yup, super crappy pic)

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I started swapping stuff onto the new engine, but i can't do any more until I have the bench grinder set up with a wire wheel to clean stuff with. So the build is at a standstill until the wirewheel is in action. :down:
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 08:36:10 AM by KDXSR5 »

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I used a 19mm and the wheel slid off easily. I torqued it back down to the 25 lf/lb specified in my FSM.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 08:36:57 AM by KDXSR5 »

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok, I started taking stuff off the 88 engine to be swapped back onto the 85 engine. I got the upper intake off, and I am going to do this in steps. I will take a major part off, clean it, paint it, then set it aside. I am also going to get all new hoses for everything since all of mine are cracked. Maybe that had something to do with why my engine would idle at 1400 rpm all the time and not 700ish rpm like it should. NAPA here I come!

Once i got the upper intake off, I could tell something was wrong. I saw pools of oil in the lower intake (see pics). I looked up into the upper intake and all of the carbon which is usually rock solid was loose and oily. The oil smells like gas, so I think my cold start injector is leaking. I think I will send my cold start injector to HERE to get refurbished. What would cause that much oil to accumulate in my intake? Any ideas?

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
After doing some talking with WHITETRASH we have decided it is just blowby from this old worn out engine. It is normal for a 200,000 mile engine that has never been rebuilt.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I talked to my dad last night and he told me I can have these 31x10.50 BFG A/T tires if I can find 4 matching tires to put on thef-150. I have 3 Goodyear Wrangler GSA tires previously mentioned in this build that will work, but I need a 4th one.

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 08:37:42 AM by KDXSR5 »

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
why not put the GSA wranglers on your truck then? or do they suck?

also does that mean youll be gettin some LTBs since youll have siped winter tires now?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
GSA wranglers are only 235/75r15 which is about a 29x9.5r15 tire. The BFGs are larger. Either would work fine, but even though the BFGs might have a little less tread on them, I believe they are the better choice.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 08:38:12 AM by KDXSR5 »

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Witchhunter very cool business to deal with!  Here's my link to getting my injectors cleaned, fast turnaround.  I think it was like $125+ for all of them and shipping.                                                                http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.msg428942#msg428942

As for siping your tires, I did mine with just a utility knife.  I just did a couple lines across each tread block, to give me some wet/icy weather traction, since I don't have a second set of tires, like I did for the nissan!  But the ice and snow out here on the coast is nasty slick.  You got to have siping done!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Witchhunter very cool business to deal with!  Here's my link to getting my injectors cleaned, fast turnaround.  I think it was like $125+ for all of them and shipping.                                                                http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.msg428942#msg428942

Thanks for the witchhunter info cheesemaker! I believe I heard about them from one of your posts a long time ago. I have all new injectors besides the cold start injector, so I think I will send just it out to be refurbished.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
 :headscratch:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Hmm... that looks oddly familiar... :greengrin: Thanks Duffil! :bowdown:

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
ok some news: I ordered a 20 gallon solvent tank from HF yesturday, so the engine install is on hold until i get that put together and running. In the mean time i decided I might as well build my front packs. As you can see in my list above I did get my new rear springs on (thanks crawlerdan). I am also going to add a few more things to my list.

As you can see, the new springs are slightly longer than the old ones, but since they are a tighter coil with a thinner material they should out perform the old springs. Also notice that the new ones are progressive.

Front axle on the ground

Truck's current state

And my other helper, B

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 08:40:54 AM by KDXSR5 »

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok, a little product info on stuff I have bought/am going to buy:

The solvent tank I bought: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98332

The stuff I am going to paint my built leaf packs with (reduce friction, improve ride smoothness/flexability): http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1WVL3

I am also going to get 2 inch longer shackles for my front suspension because my old stock ones have trashed pins and such. I am going to use Marlin shackle plates with Marlin (daystar) poly bushings and All-Pro greasable shackle bolts.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2008, 09:47:52 PM by KDXSR5 »

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
Ok, a little product info on stuff I have bought/am going to buy:

The solvent tank I bought: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98332

Make sure you use solvent and not diesel buddy of mine put diesel in the exact same HF parts washer and the pump went out with in a week..

The stuff I am going to paint my built leaf packs with (reduce friction, improve ride smoothness/flexability): http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1WVL3

I am also going to get 2 inch longer shackles for my front suspension because my old stock ones have trashed pins and such. I am going to use Marlin shackle plates with Marlin (daystar) poly bushings and All-Pro greasable shackle bolts.
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long