Poll

poll

have
1 (100%)
have not
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: Apr 03, 2010, 12:30:36 PM

Author Topic: KDXSR5s Wyo DD Build: Starting To Come Together.............SLOWLY  (Read 136614 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: KDXSR5s Wyo DD Build. Yup its still here.
« Reply #270 on: Sep 27, 2008, 05:05:45 PM »
Hey welcome back nice to see an update.  :beer:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: Sep 29, 2008, 02:10:31 PM »
fixed clutch, just needed adjusted. I started to put the truck back together. Driver side done. Still need to do pass side. Oh and I tested the horn today and it sounds super toyota but at least it works. Its so funny sounding, lol. I have never had a working horn.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 10:30:03 PM by KDXSR5 »

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: Sep 29, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »
on one of the lifts getting fitted with body panels and such

71 Redwood

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: Sep 29, 2008, 06:57:28 PM »
looking good :thumbs:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: Sep 29, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »
looking good :thumbs:

Thanks. I am just happy its almost ready to be driven again. I changed the oil today from the cam break-in so tomorrow I will finish putting it back together maybe and drive it up the mountain and do a few pulls in 3rd gear to seat the rings real well. I have enough money to buy new wheels now, and will have enough to buy tires too with next months pay check. but I also want to fix the KDX. I miss my baby. I am not sure what will happen, we will see.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: Sep 30, 2008, 11:35:21 AM »
Well its pretty much done. Engine has about 20 miles on it now. It pulls pretty dang well. I still need to fix a few odds and ends but its basically done for now.

hudlenutz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 220
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
    • My Page
« Reply #276 on: Sep 30, 2008, 12:02:43 PM »
Looking good KDX, nice to see it on the road again. 

If you're into road trip wheelin, I've gone with a group down in Colorado.  Had a good time.

http://ttora.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: Sep 30, 2008, 05:53:24 PM »
Looks really good with the black wheels.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: Sep 30, 2008, 06:56:58 PM »
Looks really good with the black wheels.

F'n'a man

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: Sep 30, 2008, 08:05:24 PM »
Great to hear your driving it agian.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Oct 02, 2008, 11:38:18 AM »
Update. Engine has low oil pressure for some reason. Has about 100 miles on it now. My intake setup failed unsurprisingly. I will see about sourcing a new intake hose and stuff when i get back from my trip off of ebay.

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Oct 05, 2008, 07:41:08 PM »
thats great that its finally up and running, sucks about the oil pressure though, good luck, nice truck!!

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Oct 05, 2008, 07:56:25 PM »
What failed on your intake setup?????

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Oct 07, 2008, 11:51:08 AM »
What failed on your intake setup?????

crappy rubber deals and PVC... yeah it wasn't going to last long, lol. It all just kind of fell apart.

I found this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-75-4-Ply-Silicone-90-Deg-Intercooler-Turbo-Elbow-Bend_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ120311565775

Its expensive, but it will do what I need it to do. Its a 2.75 hose and the openings on the intake and the box are a little larger than that, so hopefully I will be able to get it to slide on. The size is right inbetween 2.75 and 3 inch, so yeah, I will hope for the best.

I have about had it with this truck, its a waste of time and money. I have seriously thought about selling it, but I know I wont get nearly as much out as I have put in. I have just about had it with all of this. I must be depressed or some :pokinit:, because I now dont like the one thing I have always loved: my truck. I just don't know what to do anymore

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Oct 07, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »
KEEP AT IT. Don't sell your truck. Somdays I too get frustrated especially when i first put my engine in. it took forever to finally get it running and forever to work out all the bugs. I even had to change the oil pump and rear main seal shortly after I installed it. my front seal still leaks a bit, and at first startup i get a little puff of smoke because one of my valve stem seals is flopped up. I still don't get that great of gas millage either. BUT i think back to when i didn't have my truck and it makes me glad that i have it. I find that the more I touch and tinker with my truck the more depressed i become because for some reason I think its not as good as it used to be. but in reality, when i bought it the engine knocked, had no power, leaked real bad, and it was automatic. That rust on my floor was there before, there was just carpet hiding it.

So my advice to you is to think back to when you first got your truck and how happy you were. there may have been many flaws with it but it didn't matter to you at the time, you had a sweet Toyota pickup... guess what you still do, and now its got marlin bumpers and a fresh 22re amongst other things. AND you've got the sweet factory stripes (jealous). A New engine always has bugs to work out, I know i wanted to give up many times, but you just have to keep plugging away at it. Soon enough your going to hop in your truck and for no reason at all your going to get a big grin on your face and maybe not even know why. I get it when i punch it in second or third and it moves a little faster then I'm used to, or I deny some idiot from cutting in front of me by using my skinny pedal. Some times i just hop in and grin for no reason, just that it is my truck and i put all the work into it myself. you will feel the same as when you first got your truck.

You feel like you've wasted SO much money but in reality you haven't, that engine is going to last you A LONGG time and those bumpers are going to keep that clean body, clean. just imagine a huge dent/crumpled corner on the rear quarter or your bed. I know it makes me sick. Any hobby costs money, and yes usually you feel like you've wasted it. I've got a 1200 mountain bike i don't ride much any more and an RC car I've dumped too much money into and i don't even drive it any more.

My Truck is by far my most favorite thing in the world even though somdays I think it is the worst thing in the world. I'm sure you feel the same way, You just have to work out the bugs in your new engine and get it working well and you'll be happy. and yes you'll probably decide you want to get something else or something else may happen to it and you wont be satisfied until you get it out of the way. its just human nature we are never happy, or at least for long. we have to keep striving for something more.

So fix that motor and drive that truck you lucky SOB.

p.s. sorry for the essay lol

Shawn

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Oct 08, 2008, 06:43:29 AM »
Thanks for that man. Funny you mention the mountain bike because I too have a $1000+ mountain bike I don't ride anymore. I think what will make me really happy is fixing the KDX. No matter what that bike put a smile on my face. I just need to get my truck done first. I think i might put off the wheels and tires and instead put that money into fixing the KDX. I miss it a lot.

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Oct 08, 2008, 08:22:53 AM »
Do it up, Your truck isn't going anywhere, and once you fix it. you can throw it in your truck and haul it to where ever you want to ride.  :thumbs:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Oct 10, 2008, 10:44:55 AM »
Don't sell your truck Todd or I will personally come out to WY and beat you senseless with a dead trout.  :_order: Your truck is bad ass and one of a kind in your area. You won't get what you put into it back. I am really struggling with money and school right now and last night I too seriously thought about selling my truck but I am going to do whatever it takes to keep that thing because I have dropped at least 10K into it over the years and I would be lucky to get 6K for it. Its only worth what someone is willing to pay, and in both our cases that is going to be way less than what has been invested. Like 4runner666 said you are always going to get frustrated at some point but you can't let that stop you. Work on the KDX since it sounds like you really want to get that thing going. Just don't impulsively sell your truck out of anger cuz you willr regret it.

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
« Reply #288 on: Oct 12, 2008, 03:39:03 AM »
do not sell the truck!!!
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: Oct 12, 2008, 03:01:16 PM »
do not sell the truck!!!

RED! Nice to see you around.

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: Oct 13, 2008, 07:36:31 PM »
have you ever got rid of a vehicle before? it's even worse than having to fix it all the time.

I really regret not keeping my first gen. and my second gen...

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: Oct 15, 2008, 10:36:33 PM »
ok, got new intake tube on and I put 25 miles on the truck tonight. It puts a smile on my face. I am going to teach the girlfriend to drive a manual now so she can see how she likes it.

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #292 on: Oct 17, 2008, 04:46:20 PM »
ok, got new intake tube on and I put 25 miles on the truck tonight. It puts a smile on my face. I am going to teach the girlfriend to drive a manual now so she can see how she likes it.

there are just so many things wrong whith this post lets break them down.
1. I am going to teach the girlfriend   ( ya like they ever learn
2.  I am going to teach the girlfriend  to drive a manual  ( only thing she needs 2 do manual is your :psss:
3.  I am going to let the girlfriend   drive my truck

o i fixed it for you
ok, got new intake tube on and I put 25 miles on the truck tonight. It puts a smile on my face. I am going to teach the girlfriend  how to destroy my clutch now.
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: Oct 18, 2008, 12:18:41 PM »
Well i have burnt through my first tank of gas. 225 miles and about 15 mpg. Not bad as far as break in mileage goes.

Smiles: It runs. Front suspension is decent ride-wise.

Frowns: It idles at 1600 rpm whenever it feels like it. It drops rpm and revs back up when I press on the brakes when it feels like it. The steering has a clunk in it. The rear suspension sucks major ass. It needs some 6x9s because the little 4 inchers in the dash are not cutting it alone. Fuel guage still doesn't work nor does the parking brake. I need to hook up my reverse lights too.

I still need to finish my battery box and mount it too. right now the battery is chilling in the bed with some bungee cords holding it in place kind of sort of. Not real safe.

First thing I need to do is finish that battery box. Next thing will probably be the reverse lights. Then I don't know. I really need to do something about that rear suspension. It is riding at like max extension and causes one hell of a crappy ride.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: Oct 18, 2008, 10:28:57 PM »
so I fixed my high idle problems and idle drop problems after messing with the dash pot, idle adjuster screw, and my throttle linkage. Now I need to reset my timing because it idles like poo at 750 rpm since the timing was set at 1400 rpm.

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: Oct 19, 2008, 08:11:40 AM »
Hold on!!! First of all try to figure out why your steering is clunking!!!   :slap:  The battery is the last of your worries.  Did you not read about WT and his steering coming apart on his crawler????  100+ foot roll down a hill!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: Oct 22, 2008, 06:15:17 AM »
ok... the clunk is coming from under the dash so I will be pulling the dash apart sometime soon I guess. Also my steering shaft between the firewall and the steering box is very bent for some reason. Well something is bent that causes the shaft to move a good 1 inch while turing the wheel in a full circle. Maybe its my steering box.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #297 on: Oct 22, 2008, 11:32:12 AM »
have you looked at the u-joint at the firewall?

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: Oct 24, 2008, 06:36:35 PM »
have you looked at the u-joint at the firewall?

It seems ok. Pretty sure the clunk and grind is coming from the dash area not firewall forward.

Burnt through another 250 miles. 18 mpg this go around. Rear suspension still sucks hardcore. Three wheeling around every corner is not cool and very unsafe. I need to figure out the steering situation.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Oct 28, 2008, 09:18:20 AM »
ok, fixed steering clunk and grind by cleaning the steering column and putting it all back together. didn't really see anything wrong, but now it doesn't do it so thats all fine and dandy. Also took out that annoying buzzer