Poll

poll

have
1 (100%)
have not
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: Apr 03, 2010, 12:30:36 PM

Author Topic: KDXSR5s Wyo DD Build: Starting To Come Together.............SLOWLY  (Read 136621 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Thanks for the heads up Red :thumbs: Out of curiosity, what did your friend end up using in it? I am having problems figuring out what to use, I even have a thread about it in General Discussion.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 08:41:51 AM by KDXSR5 »

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
After he  replaced the pump he asked me the same question and I told him to use Varsol. You can normaly have your local part store get it for you or go to what ever petroleum distributor is in your area. Varsol is OSHA accepted standard, always wear your gloves and eye protection with any kind of cleaning solvent. 

If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Varsol... ok, I will call around for some of that. Thanks a lot! :thumbs:

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
Just curious.  where did you get the JE rockers and how much did you pay?
I like to Drive!

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I got my rockers from Japan Engines on ebay.

http://stores.ebay.com/JAPAN-ENGINES

In my quick search i did not see any on there currently, but I didn't look real hard.

When I bought mine I also got new adjusters for the rockers. Total came to right under $96 (including shipping), and shipping was expensive, like $20 expensive.

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
thanks.     I'll have to thumb through that site.
I like to Drive!

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Solvent tank:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
That thing is :bling:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok, tore down the front axle, got races out of the ball and the axle seal out of the end of the axle tube. Waiting for solvent to appear in the solvent tank so i can clean this all up, put new stuff in, and get it all put back together. Also, i liked the look of Duffil's flat black j-arm, so i decided to clean my whole axle and use flat black rustolium. I did all of it up to the perch, and once i get the thing put back together i will paint from the pirch to the backing plate.

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
 nice work

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
thanks, it went quickly, and it was dirty

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I went to checker and bought some of this stuff. It says its safe for almost everything. The oil eater company does sell parts washers and stuff too, so I figured why not give this stuff a shot. It was about $35, and I am going to mix it about 1:1 with water.

« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2008, 10:41:19 PM by KDXSR5 »

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
and it works fairly well too. It is not as powerful as an actual solvent, but it gets the job done, just a little slower and with a little more work on my part. In the long run, this will be much cheaper than buying cases of brake clean. Plus i can charge people to use this.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok, I was going to slap my axle together tonight, but I cannot for the life of me find any grease in this house, and walmart did not have the kind I wanted. I guess I will finish it tomorrow.

Ucky:

CLEAN! :woohoo:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Also, this birf is binding. It has been binding bad enough that some of the steel on the birf and inner axle have "blued" meaning that they have gotten really hot. The birf was a real pain in the ass to get the balls/star/cage out of because they were all binding in there for some reason. This birf does tick when in 4wd, but I did not see any cracks or deformation. I guess it is just tight. I should probably replace it, but I am not going to.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
So I put new grease in the birf and popped it back together and it is rotating quite a bit better now. I am worried that it is going to break, but if it does I guess I am SOL. It has been blued all over the place... the amount of discoloration on it was amazing. I wish I had a better camera to show you guys what I am talking about.

I lost my knuckle pull scale so i had to use a fish scale I found. I also forgot I had no brake clean, so i ran to walmart at 11:30 to get some. I think those are the only real bad snags I had besides trying to get the birf apart.

Anyways... a tub and a half of grease later you get this:

This was my goal for the weekend, so i guess I succeeded. Clean up time will happen sometime in the next day or two.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I hauled the rolled 88's transmission/t-case on broken creeper out to storage yesturday. I could have lifted it off and on to the tailgate, but it was easier to just use the engine hoist. Enjoy my awesome strap rigging. :gap:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I now have the slip plate and new pin bolts... will build front packs hopefully tomorrow night. I need to clean up my axle rebuild mess first. A box of Marlin bushings and such is on its way to my house, should be here sometime. Hopefully I can get the packs built and ready for instalation tomorrow night so I can go back to switching stuff over from 88 engine onto 85 engine. This has taken way longer than I had forseen.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
So I got one leaf pack built, passenger side. I need to take it to the suspension shop and have some clamps riveted on and then I can take it all apart, paint it, then hang it with my Marlin bushings and Marlin shackles (really beefy by the way, and they have GREASABLE BOLTS! :woohoo: ). Here is a kinda sorta step by step:

Stock pack on top, 90 leaves on bottom:

90 leaves moved to top to be sucked down onto the 85 pack using new center bolt and a couple C-clamps. This was done so I could mark where I wanted to cut the springs:

Here you can see where I decided to cut the springs. I did not measure anything throughout the whole process of building the pack until I measured to see how much lift I gained:

Spring ready to be cut. Yes I know that is not a cutoff wheel on the grinder, we did not have any and I wanted to get this thing done, so I did it all with a regular grinding wheel. I had an extinguisher with me, and I wore a safety shield. Grinders can be very dangerous:

CUT! Now imagine this same process 5 more times:

Aftermath:

I then pried the clamps off of the stock springs to remove the two springs I am not using. I am keeping the two main leaves:

I then made a template to use for tapering the leaves. I did the long taper on the fronts of all 3 leaves and the rear of the bottom one. I did the short taper on the rear of the other two leaves:

Taper action:

Finished product:

As shown here, I got a solid 2 inches of lift from this process. I am also using 2 inch longer (1 inch lift) shackles from Marlin. I went from the stock 4 leaf pack to a 5 leaf pack. The 90 rear leaves were slightly thinner than the stock 85 front leaves:

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Thanks! :thumbs: It was a real PITA and took way longer than I had expected, but it got done.

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
im confussed  what did you do
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
im confussed  what did you do

I took 3 of the 90 rear leaves, cut them down, and put them in place of the bottom two leaves on the 85 front pack. So now I have the two 85 stock main leaves with 3 cut down 90 leaves. So I basically did two "Replace a Leaf" and one "Add a Leaf" which provided a total of two inch lift becuase the 90 rear springs are arched way more than the 85 front leaves. I am currently painting them with the slip plate graphite coating, and I will begin final assembly sometime today/tonight.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok, painting is done on both sets of springs. Tomorrow I begin final assembly of spring packs. Here is what went down:

Opened the pack back up for cleaning:

Cleaning with the wire wheel:

Wire wheel disintegrated throwing pieces of metal everywhere after 2 leaves... I am very happy I was wearing a face shield:

Leaves cleaned by wire wheel and later flap disc:

Slip Plate (graphite paint):

Slip plate after OVER HALF A FREAKIN HOUR OF STIRRING (yes, this stuff was REALLY seperated):

I accidently forgot a leaf while putting the leaves on the saw horses, so it got put on a trashcan. Side #1 done:

Side #2 done:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Looks nice! good job on staying safe.....very important...

For the paint try using one of them electric drill paint stirrers they sell at the hardware store.....they have disposable ones for like 1.50$  :biggthumpup:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok, I got the front suspension done besides the shackles because I am waiting on the 3/4 inch spacers to show up (they were back ordered). I have the axle bolted in, but nothing attached to it. I ran into a few problems:

#1: Shocks- Way too short now. I do have some shocks from the rear of my moms tundra that would work if I had taller shock mounts. Unfortunately, I cannot weld, so talller shock mounts are out of the question. I am not sure what I am going to do about this yet. The stock length shocks that are in there will hinder my flex A LOT.

#2: Brake lines- they are now way too short as well. I will need to be ordering up a set from Marlin sometime soon.

#3: I am afraid my driveshaft may end up being too short, but currently I am not too concerned about it.

Good news is it looks like tyhe flipped j-arm steering will work just fine. Anyways, here are a few pics:

Springs done, Marlin bushings:

Installed:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
any chance of you getting some better pics of your installed spring/JArm? I would like you to add it to the J-Arm thread if possible...or email them to me and i'll add them.

Looking good T-Money!! :bling:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I just ordered new brake lines from Marlin. I also found a shock that will work for me until I can get a real suspension/steering under this truck.

Shocks: Procomp 321518

Specs (from Summit):
Brand: Pro Comp
Product Line: Pro Comp ES3000 Shocks
Part Type: Shocks and Struts
Part Number: EXP-321518
Internal Design: Twin-tube
Adjustable: No
Gas Charged: No
Bushing Material: Rubber
Bushing Color: Black
Boot Included: No
Extended Length (in): 20.240 in.
Collapsed Length (in): 12.450 in.
Body Diameter (in): 2.000 in.
Upper Mount: Stud
Lower Mount: Eyelet
Quantity: Sold individually.

They are not perfect, but will work. They are fine down-travel wise, but need more up travel. This will limit my uptravel by about 2 inches :down: .

Ok, for Duffil:

AND IT IS BACK ON ALL FOURS! :woohoo: :

30s look dinky:

Big D got a couple new stickers in the same location on both sides:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: KDXSR5s Wyo DD Build: DESIGN ME A FLATBED!!!
« Reply #209 on: Aug 12, 2008, 07:09:16 PM »
I changed out the shocks on my dad's truck and modified one of his old ones to work in place of the torque rod:

Yesterday my cold start injector came back from Witchhunter. It turns out it wasn't in too bad of shape, but it never hurts to get your injectors cleaned:

And finally, my longer brake lines and backordered shackle spacers came in from Marlin! :woohoo: (accompanied by DIRTBIKE and FOURWHEELER magazines :gap:  :

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 08:55:17 AM by KDXSR5 »