Poll

poll

have
1 (100%)
have not
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: Apr 03, 2010, 12:30:36 PM

Author Topic: KDXSR5s Wyo DD Build: Starting To Come Together.............SLOWLY  (Read 136998 times)

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
Re: KDXSR5s Wyo DD Build. Yup its still here.
« Reply #300 on: Oct 29, 2008, 01:12:34 PM »
I justify it one way...

It is a rock crawler not my everyday drive to work kind of truck
It is a hobby.... name one that isnt expensive
Same as restoring an old car- money, parts, time, and frustration

I at least get away from the thing when i am at school so i dont get to pissed off. Work on it when i am at home and pick the ladies up while i am at it.
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #301 on: Oct 29, 2008, 03:47:14 PM »
There is a difference between building a rock crawler over restoring/rebuilding a classic car, you restore a classic to pristine beauty. You also build your rig to pristine beauty, now come the difference. Your restored classic is praised and only comes out of the garage on Sunday's to drive and be noticed. It then is placed back into the garage, washed, waxed and covered to keep it clean. Your 4x4 rig is taken out on Saturday on a trailer not because you don't want it to touch the ground but for fear that it may not come back in one piece. After your Saturday drive you load what's left back onto the trailer, drag it back home and shove it behind the garage. Sunday is spent checking the damage and wondering if you can straighten the A and B pillars since they are bent in so far that the b pillar is now touching the seat.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: Nov 15, 2008, 08:31:39 PM »
got my christmas present early. new windshield. yay. I took it wheeling today. totally sucked due to poor rear suspension. need to do something about that but I refuse to spend any more money on this truck for a while.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: Nov 18, 2008, 11:56:40 AM »
pics

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: Nov 18, 2008, 07:41:03 PM »
Too many poser shots not enough action shots. Give your woman the camera and make her take some sweet wheeling shots :gap:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: Dec 10, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
My transfercase shifter base decided to grenade on me today making bad noises and stuff so I swapped it out with a spare one I had laying around (bolted to an 88 top shift case). I will probably clean and put the original back together and put it back in. Nothing else to really add.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: Dec 11, 2008, 06:17:11 PM »
I cleaned all of the crud out of the original shifter assembly, greased it up, and put it back in. Its working now.
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2008, 01:48:58 PM by KDXSR5 »

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: Dec 26, 2008, 08:38:33 PM »
So here is a vid of when my shifter bas decided to explode, clearly the shifter is no longer going in the "J" shift pattern (ignore the music and stuff lol):

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/KDXSR5/?action=view&current=1210081905.flv

Here is a vid I made of my truck idling one day when I was VERY bored. It was about -20 out:

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/KDXSR5/?action=view&current=1214080934.flv

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I finally took the thing wheeling for the first time since doing all the work to it. It was muddy and the BFGs totally suck in these conditions so I didn't get to do as much as I usually do. I need mud tires again! I could not get ANY traction and the ATs have no big lugs to grab onto stuff especially rocks so it sucked. I only have a couple pics and they are not even that cool but I was alone so I could not get action pics. How do you like these poser shots? And no, neither the front or rear are even close to maxing out articulation wise.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Fun stuff
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 10:38:44 PM by KDXSR5 »

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Alright, good to see you are letting the beast out of its cage a little.... she needs to stretch her legs some times you know??  :biggthumpup:

Honestly I think if you are looking for a good street/offroad tire you should really consider the MTR. Contrary to the many opinions I have heard about MTRs and their snow abilities, I think they do very well in the snow. Of course, the MTR isn't an Irok but for someone looking for the perfect balance between street-ability and trail-ability I think the MTR can't be beat. I know for one that unless I find myself living in the concrete jungle I will never run another all terrain again. I would rather have the ultimate (or closest possible) traction when I NEED it than average traction in all conditions for the rest of the time I don't need it.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
No real update but I did loose my front mudflaps driving down the interstate the other day. Hearing clunk clunk and then another clunk clunk and seeing black things flying off behind you is rather frieghtening, lol.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Someone asked me to post a pic of my ebay elbow that I installed because I guess I never posted a pic of it. Also an unrelated pic, don't worry about it.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Got stuck trying to get to my friends house lol. Snow drift going all the way across the street, had to dig for like half an hour. All the houses are new construction so there is no one living in them.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
For NCT... about the best I could get with the way the light was going and stuff.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Oil/water foam crap on the underside of my oil cap tonight. Whats it mean? Am I fucked?

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
 :yesnod:

Possibility of a head gasket!!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
could be anything.. could just be moisture build up from it being so cold out ( obviously cold there since you have snow...) or it could be a head gasket.. a head crack..  i wouldnt really worry about it unless  its really bad or you have water in your oil elsewhere ( on the dipstick  or in it when you change it)
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Oil/water foam crap on the underside of my oil cap tonight. Whats it mean? Am I flopped?

it depends...if your oil starts turning into white milky looking crap then you know. do a compression test if you got a gauge. my 20r always has a little bit under the cap from sitting a lot. once i drive a few miles it goes away

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
Do a pressure test on your coolant system. If it holds, then I would say it is just condensation. Do you drive it more than 10 miles before shutting it off and letting it cool? If the engine (and oil) do not get warm enough, the moisture will not be drawn out as steam and it will build up - especially in colder weather. If it does not hold, then I would find WHERE it is leaking before assuming it was the HG. Check your timing chain guides, check to see if you have any water in the cylinders... Usually, when the water jacket crosses into the cyl, the combustion gasses will overpressurize the cooling system, and force water out past the radiator cap, then overheat, from lack of coolant. If it crosses to the oil passages, you would also have oil in your coolant. I hope it is not anything serious. :crossed:
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Dipstick did not have foam on it. I found the stuff when I was checking my oil at the gas station and had to put a little in. I must say, I will not be happy if I have a blown HG or other problem since then engine has a whole 2 or 3 thousand miles on it since I rebuilt it, new everything including radiator and all hoses. I think I will adjust my valves again today and I will examine some stuff while I have it apart. Frustrating. I usually drive it from home to school (about 1 mile), school to work (2 mile) and work to home (3 mile), so it does not see much use during the week unless I am going out to friends houses in the country or am cruising around. Weekends it gets driven a lot more though.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2009, 06:18:49 AM by KDXSR5 »

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Male Posts: 336
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
get some heat in it and drive it should clean up

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
moisture and oil mixing together, I see it all the time on most jeep engines. A kinda yellowish paste lookin gunk? If you have coolant mixed into the oil then you have an issue or overheating
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
All is good. No abnormal stuff when i adjusted valves today so false alarm.

On the mileage tangent... I tend to get 16-19 driving my short trips if it is not winter. During winter I drop down to 11-14 since I am in 4wd the whole time.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Did a compression test on this stupid thing today. Cyl. 1-3 all 150-160 psi. Cylinder 4 was at 120 psi. I am thinking possible blown headgasket. I am not exactly happy. Stupid truck.

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
All that money and it's messed up.. that's gotta suck. :hahaha:

If the wet test stayed the same don't be too quick to point at the head gasket...  Be absolutely sure the valves are correct on #4, a tight valve will leak compression too. :greengrin:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
All that money and it's messed up.. that's gotta suck. :hahaha:

If the wet test stayed the same don't be too quick to point at the head gasket...  Be absolutely sure the valves are correct on #4, a tight valve will leak compression too. :greengrin:

Oh it sucks, it sucks bad! I came very close to trading my truck straight across for a 98 chevy ext cab short bed with around 75,000 miles, great body and new transmission straight from GM... but I just have too much invested in this truck and I'm sure once I did trade it I would greatly regret it.

I will try readjusting the valves on #4 again, but this is just not looking promising. I really wish I had a different vehicle to drive so I could take a break from this truck, but we no longer have any spare vehicles so this one needs to stay in drivable condition.

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
Head gaskets are the Achilles’ heel of the rebuilt 20r-22RE/RET in my experence but please look into it throughly. I have run in to hair line cracks in the head and cylinder walls that only showed up with a dye/magnaflux test. Dont let it get you down Tod you eill get her going good again. 
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
it sucks you got no back up ride     one day you can have that tore down and back togeather granted if it was just a head gasket. 
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly