Author Topic: [Project Reeda]yup. engines out  (Read 57365 times)

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: [Project Reeda]not running right at all...
« Reply #420 on: Jul 15, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »
just do it while they are at work one day. :)

:werd:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: Jul 15, 2008, 07:55:32 PM »
Do what I did with my truck and pull the engine out in the middle of the night while everyone is sleeping. I am sure you could swap the other one in pretty fast too.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: Jul 15, 2008, 08:07:44 PM »
Try reasoning with your parents a bit

1) they are concerned that you will screw up the red truck.  Explain to them that it isn't running correctly right now, and its just going to sit there and rot unless you do something with it.  You've learned a lot from working on the runner, and you're comfortable doing another engine swap.  You've learned how not to drive 9thanks to your brother)

2)right now they have 2 pretty much worthless vehicles sitting in front of their house (yes, I know you can part them out, get some money, whatever.  A vehicle with a shot motor and a rolled vehicle are considered pretty much worthless to most people)  By just letting them sit there, they're gonna deteriorate more, and be worth less.

Also, if you do fix the red truck, there's nothing wrong with keeping the 3.0  It isn't a bad motor.  Its had some issues, on the whole, but so have many others. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #423 on: Jul 15, 2008, 08:29:09 PM »
:imwithstupid:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #424 on: Jul 15, 2008, 08:33:06 PM »
i think if i keep one of the said vehicles it will be the runner. the engine is already in it, it has less overall miles (about 50,000 less) and ther is overall wrong less with it, all the small things oin it work (horn, AC is cold, little nicer stereom etc...)

but you bring up some good points BD, thank you. :thumbs:

todd, i have to do my engine swap outside pretty much because there is very little room in my garage. my parents would pregnant dog big time. and the V6 swap is pretty freakin gnar for me to do, considering ive only done one engine swap in my life (a 77 chevy, and we only pulled it). obviously beside this swap. i think ill probbaly keep the runner at least for the time being and it should wotk out with it. ive given it osmemore thought, and will continue to ponder the circumstances.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #425 on: Jul 15, 2008, 08:34:33 PM »
i would not be surprised at all if i went through another 6 rigs...

i have kinda tried this...my parents dont really understand anything i tell them.
Blake,  if your parents have any question  i would be more than happy to talk to them  :thumbs:  old fart to old fart
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: Jul 15, 2008, 08:42:06 PM »
Cool, keep the runner, sell red truck, have $$, cut top off 4runner, wheel the piss out of it, break it, fix it, wheel the piss out of it, break it, fix it.... you get the idea :gap: Your parents should just be happy that you have learned sooooo much from doing all this work on stuff. I know when I did my first engine swap (I was 15) I learned A LOT. I am still learning a bunch more on this go around of engine swaps too. Good luck with the situation.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #427 on: Jul 15, 2008, 09:11:35 PM »
Blake,  if your parents have any question  i would be more than happy to talk to them  :thumbs:  old fart to old fart
thanks glen :thumbs: i think my aprents might be a little older than you though... (59 and 54)

Cool, keep the runner, sell red truck, have $$, cut top off 4runner, wheel the piss out of it, break it, fix it, wheel the piss out of it, break it, fix it.... you get the idea :gap: Your parents should just be happy that you have learned sooooo much from doing all this work on stuff. I know when I did my first engine swap (I was 15) I learned A LOT. I am still learning a bunch more on this go around of engine swaps too. Good luck with the situation.
i realllllly wanna cut the top off, but i need it to be water proof during the winter as this will be how i get my brother and myself around. and possibley my mom.between 4 people who (will be) drive this winter we have 2 4wds. not that we neccasarily need any more, but it needs to say water proof.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #428 on: Jul 15, 2008, 09:13:06 PM »
the only thing i can think of doing is building a very very precise cage that would line up with the doors frame and then soft topping it. or maybe doing some basic fiberglass work... :idea: any thoughts on a fiberglass top piece that would be molded to fit over a cage?

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: Jul 15, 2008, 09:18:49 PM »
i thought you pushed the roof back up? if you can mount a windshield in it, the roof doesnt need to come off.....

if its got a roof, then keep it... if the roof is trashed, cut it off and either graft on a new one, or have a beater with no roof and a cage

are you not wanting to spend any money on this truck or what?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: Jul 15, 2008, 09:20:09 PM »
Try reasoning with your parents a bit

1) they are concerned that you will screw up the red truck.  Explain to them that it isn't running correctly right now, and its just going to sit there and rot unless you do something with it.  You've learned a lot from working on the runner, and you're comfortable doing another engine swap.  You've learned how not to drive 9thanks to your brother)

2)right now they have 2 pretty much worthless vehicles sitting in front of their house (yes, I know you can part them out, get some money, whatever.  A vehicle with a shot motor and a rolled vehicle are considered pretty much worthless to most people)  By just letting them sit there, they're gonna deteriorate more, and be worth less.

Also, if you do fix the red truck, there's nothing wrong with keeping the 3.0  It isn't a bad motor.  Its had some issues, on the whole, but so have many others. 

I agree with BD 100%
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #431 on: Jul 15, 2008, 09:24:18 PM »
i thought you pushed the roof back up? if you can mount a windshield in it, the roof doesnt need to come off.....

if its got a roof, then keep it... if the roof is trashed, cut it off and either graft on a new one, or have a beater with no roof and a cage

are you not wanting to spend any money on this truck or what?
yes, i have pushed the roof backup and i *think* it will fit a new windsheild...im just throwing a few ideas around about making a soft top/hard top kinda thing. i like the look of 2nd gen runners, but the removable hard top of 1rst gen runners... either way i will need to fit a windsheil, whether top on or off.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: Jul 15, 2008, 09:48:05 PM »
yes, i have pushed the roof backup and i *think* it will fit a new windsheild...im just throwing a few ideas around about making a soft top/hard top kinda thing. i like the look of 2nd gen runners, but the removable hard top of 1rst gen runners... either way i will need to fit a windsheil, whether top on or off.

measure the red truck's windshield and find out.  What your brother did wasn't bad, what you did to pop it out will most likely work with a new windshield.  :thumbs:

the only thing i can think of doing is building a very very precise cage that would line up with the doors frame and then soft topping it. or maybe doing some basic fiberglass work... :idea: any thoughts on a fiberglass top piece that would be molded to fit over a cage?

soft top would work, but you'll not likely ever get it to be 100% waterproof.  :thumbs:  The fiberglass idea isn't a very good one IMO.  first time you lay the runner over, or roll it, the fiberglass will crack and break. 

EDIT

Check this out:

http://www.whiteknucklemotorsports.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=64&Itemid=27

This is a former build of Brandon's (mod here on the board, he's building a scout now)  I saw this after it was finished, and it was done really clean.  I've considered doing it myself, but haven't gotten that far yet.  I'm not sure where he got the edge pieces, but he's the guy to ask about that.  :thumbs:  Don't know how well it would work for a runner, but it turned out real well in his 1st gen

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #433 on: Jul 15, 2008, 09:54:11 PM »
if i were to build a glass top it would only be for the winter time to keep some water out, or i could build a removable "buggy" top, aka sheetmetal...or plexiglass with a velcro in sunshade...idk. i got too mayn damn ideas... :willynilly:

ill check out that link now.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: Jul 15, 2008, 09:59:55 PM »
if it currently has a roof in 1 piece leave it the hell alone, especially if its going to be a DD and you want it to be waterproof... mount a new windshield, be done with it.....

if you wnat a buggy, then gut the red truck, cut the roof off, and buggy it.

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 983
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:04:55 PM »
 :gay: just motor swap
4.7 t-case, welded rear, 33s, sr5 buckits, sas sooner than later. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=74399.0

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #436 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:06:25 PM »
so the stock "hard top" is re-installable?

jim, if i do a buggy, ill buy the previously mentioned first gen (thats not intended in anyway to poke at you, it would jus tbe the likely buggy candidate for me. )

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:12:38 PM »
you have this idea of a removeable soft top... why? you have a truck that you can use that is fine otehr than your idiot brother rolled it.... you said you need a people hauler/DD

put a friggen windshield in it and call it good......

what factory hard top? on a first gen? yes, thyose are removeable, and yes, they go back on.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #438 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:15:07 PM »
you have this idea of a removeable soft top... why? you have a truck that you can use that is fine otehr than your idiot brother rolled it.... you said you need a people hauler/DD

what factory hard top? on a first gen? yes, thyose are removeable, and yes, they go back on.....
idk jimbo, i jsut ponder a lot of stuff :dunno:

i am gonna put in a windsheild, or at least try to....

the first gen in the link is what im talking aobu tbeing able to put the top back on. i know aobut first gen runners...

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:17:42 PM »
the first gen in the link is what im talking aobu tbeing able to put the top back on. i know aobut first gen runners...

the top is removeable, and it goes back on.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:18:37 PM »
so the stock "hard top" is re-installable?

jim, if i do a buggy, ill buy the previously mentioned first gen (thats not intended in anyway to poke at you, it would jus tbe the likely buggy candidate for me. )

:yesnod:  I believe it used 4 or 6 heavy duty clamps that took a bit of effort to clamp down, but had enough staying power to clamp the pieces tight together.  It was a pretty clean look with or without the top.

Because he wants to take the top off the runner in the summer.  :dunno: doesn't seem that hard to figure out to me.  Let him ponder his ideas, just like you ponder yours.  There's no reason to bust his balls about how he wants to build his truck or runner. 

BTW
He's talking about the link that I posted about Brandon's 1st gen truck, not a 1st gen runner. 

NCT, check out ORANGE CRUSH's build as well.  He chopped the top on his runner, and put a cage on it.  Also did some pretty sick half doors as well.  I'm pretty sure he didn't make the hardtop removable, but it may give you some ideas, or show you whether you really want to do it or not.  One of Shamb's buddies chopped the top on his as well after a roll, you might want to find that build as well.

-Ronald Reagan

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #441 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:22:58 PM »
i want to combine a first gen runner with a second gen... :madscienstistsmilie:

anybody got the dimensions of a first gen runner hard top handy?

also does anyone have a pic of the top of a second gen runner handy? i wanna kinda do a paint photo chop...

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:24:02 PM »
check this out.... 4hummer

i cant find his site......

but he was 4hummer on yotatech... the story goes liek this, his idiot brother in law or something rolled his truck....

http://www.obsessiveoffroadclub.com/Michael/index.htm

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #443 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:25:55 PM »
check this out.... 4hummer www.mudrunner.ca
says not found jimbo? :dunno:

edit: you edited iton me...:eek:

EDITEDIT: says still not ofund, does it work for anybody else?

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #444 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:30:02 PM »

might work out? :dunno:

the full thread on chop and bobbin' it

http://yotatech.com/f116/1990-4runner-chop-bob-138587/

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:30:47 PM »
he just wants you to see the pic of it chopped behind the pass. doors.  KWP on this board also did that, mudaddict did as well I believe, both good builds to search for. :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:34:16 PM »
i want to combine a first gen runner with a second gen... :madscienstistsmilie:

anybody got the dimensions of a first gen runner hard top handy?

also does anyone have a pic of the top of a second gen runner handy? i wanna kinda do a paint photo chop...

I can get you some measurements tomorrow or something. There is no way it would fit on your 4runner if you cut the top off like that picture. only way it would work is if you cut the top down a lot and I dunno how well it would fit with the body lines of a second gen 4runner.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #447 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:34:48 PM »
ooh haha, that musta been what the link you posted was about jimbo...

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #448 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:35:20 PM »
I can get you some measurements tomorrow or something. There is no way it would fit on your 4runner if you cut the top off like that picture. only way it would work is if you cut the top down a lot and I dunno how well it would fit with the body lines of a second gen 4runner.
just thinkin bout different stuff...tahnks nick. :thumbs: r

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:38:34 PM »

I'm thinking not well.  I bought and parted out a 1st gen runner, and took the top to the buyer of it in my truck, first tried putting it on like a runner, wound up having to flip it over and let it sit in the bed.  I'd assume the 2nd gen runner is about the same width as the 3rd gen truck, just like the 2nd gen truck is the same width of the 1st gen runner.  

If you were to cut it like that pic, I wonder if you could cut it to match the lines of something like an amigo hardtop, and then use your mad fiberglass skills to widen that top to the correct width?  :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan