Author Topic: 46&2's 85 4Runner Build-Up  (Read 267757 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
46&2's 85 4Runner Build-Up
« on: Jan 14, 2007, 06:55:22 PM »
Hey everyone. This is my build-up thread for my 1985 Toyota 4Runner. I have been building this truck up for over a year now, but only recently got all my pictures together.

When I bought it, it already had some cool aftermarket equipment:

-Front and Rear custom bumpers
-2 inch NWOR leaf springs
-heavy duty tie rod
-rear limited slip
-marlin crawler 4.7 tcase gears
-32x11.50 A/Ts on 15x8 white steel
-Warn winch
-All Pro tcase crossmember

So I wheeled it for about year like that. Did fantastic. After a year though, I had discovered all my limitations. So I set out to fix her up just how I wanted.

And no matter how hard I tried to accept them...I hated those damn white wheels and all terrains.   :shakehead:

My basic "goal" with this truck was to turn it into a capable daily driver. We'll see what happens from there...  :greengrin:

When I've reached my goal, this is what I'd like to have:

Stuff:

Suspension:
  • 2" Drop Box
  • Front 44044 Wagoneer springs w/ 6 inch shackle
  • Rear 63" chevy springs with stock chevy/6 inch dual shackle set up, 1 inch blocks
  • 12" stroke Front Bilstein 5125s
  • 14" stroke Rear Bilstein 5125s
  • Ford shock towers
  • Full front frame plates (with Marlin Crawler IFS box mount kit)
Steering:
  • 88 IFS steering box
  • Marlin Crawler high steer
Axles:
  • 89 V6 Pickup rear axle w/ 5.29 R&P
  • Front 5.29 R&P
  • Front vented rotors
  • IFS truck calipers/pads
  • IFS truck master cylinder
  • IFS hubs (need Sky kit)
  • Braided stainless steel brake lines
  • Rear Locker (Lockrite or Aussie)

[ ]Front Locker
[ ]Air Compressor
[ ]Longfields

Armor:
  • MC rock sliders
  • :turtle: Rear Bumper

[ ]Front and rear axle truss and armor

Drivetrain:
  • Dual Case Adapter  :turtle:
  • Budbuilt dual case skidplate
  • 2nd 21 spline top shift tcase
  • Front and rear drivelines for dual cases
Rubber:
  • 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs (old style)
  • 15x10 black rockcrawlers

[  ]Beadlocks
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2012, 01:55:52 AM by 46&2 »
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: 46&2's 85 4Runner Build-Up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2007, 06:59:45 PM »
:welcome: i like the white wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2007, 07:00:39 PM »
After a while I found a sweet deal on some 32x11.50 mud terrains on black rock crawlers. So I swapped those in and they gave my little 4runner a whole new life. The jump from ATs to MTs made a HUGE difference. I almost thought about keeping it how it is. Almost.

My friend Clint in his 85.... famous last words "It can't be that deep..."  :hammerhead:

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2008, 03:53:31 PM by fortysixandtwo »
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2007, 07:04:17 PM »
:welcome: i like the white wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey thanks! For some reason, I've always had this deep hatred for white wheels. Dunno why, but I had to get rid of em!!

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2007, 07:37:20 AM »
I looked and looked for years for an 85.  Hard to come by clean here in CO.  So, I bought an 84 4Runner and swapped in the EFI.  I love the decision I made with swapping engines.

Looks like you need to get a set of sliders before you dent up your nice 4Runner.  I've got the Marlin sliders, they work great!
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2007, 12:47:58 PM »
I looked and looked for years for an 85.  Hard to come by clean here in CO.  So, I bought an 84 4Runner and swapped in the EFI.  I love the decision I made with swapping engines.

Looks like you need to get a set of sliders before you dent up your nice 4Runner.  I've got the Marlin sliders, they work great!

Haha funny you mention it I actually DO have a pair of MC sliders. havnt put them too much use or abuse yet but im planning on it this summer ;)

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:16:36 PM »
So here is my basic list of upgrades that I have installed. I wanted to go with 35x12.50 BFGs with the possibility of maybe 36s or 37s down the road.

Suspension:
Front 4 inch jeep wrangler springs w/ 2 inch shackles
Rear 63" chevy springs with stock chevy/6 inch dual shackle set up
14" stroke Front Bilstein 5125s
14" stroke Rear Bilstein 5125s
Ford shock towers
Full frame plates

Steering:
88 IFS steering box
Marlin Crawler high steer

Axles:
Swapped 85 rear with a rear axle out of an 88 pick up w/ 5.29 R&P (open)
Front vented rotors
IFS truck calipers/pads
IFS truck master cylinder
IFS hubs (cant get these to work with MC rotors  :tantrum:)
braided steel brake lines

Armor:
MC rock sliders

All of this stuff has been installed.

TO DO:
Still need front 5.29s and front driveshaft (going with a square until I do dual cases)
Finish dual cases (i have the extra tcase and adapter just dont have the funds at the moment to install em and get all new drivelines)
Detroit/Aussie/Lockrite locker rear
ARB front locker/Air compressor
Longfield axleshafts
NEW tires (currently running some cheapo mudders with 20-30% tread)
MC rear bumper (i can no longer use my old bumper because of the dual shackles and I want the MC bumper anyhow)
1.5" Front wheel spacers

And I think thats just about it. For now anyway. :)

Its nice to be able to putt around town finally. It sucks I dont have my front gears or DS yet but it feels good to drive a near finished product of my own creation around town. I did most of the work myself with the help of several of my good friends. Wade, Kyle, Evan, Allen, Greg and last but not least, Luke & Brian at 4x4 Labs all helped out immensly. Couldn't have done it without you guys! Thanks!!!

I went out to the Winter Funfest the other day just to check out the rigs. I had been hoping to have my rig done by then, but oh well. It was cool to see all the different trucks out there. Couldnt do a damn thing with 2WD so I tested my flex a little and watched all the action. Anyway, hopefuly I will be getting my front gears and driveline this upcoming week. Until then I guess im prerunnin' it.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2007, 12:12:32 AM by fortysixandtwo »

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
THE BUILD UP!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:30:34 PM »
THE BUILD-UP:

Getting ready to head to Wade's house to start hackin' and welding:

Lots of goodies up in here:

Pulling apart the front end:

Let me tell you folks, this is backyard mechanics at its best  :gap:
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2007, 12:13:28 AM by fortysixandtwo »

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:35:32 PM »
New VS Old:

Putting on the new front springs:

Finishing up the front:

Sitting a little higher now...

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:42:41 PM »
Wade modifying the exhaust so its not in the way of the dual shackles:

Dual shackles at full droop:

Rear chevy hanger location:

Getting ready to weld....then the welder took a :pokinit:. Had to wait almost a week before we could get any more work done. Thankfully, Luke from 4x4 Labs hooked a brotha up and let me borrow one of his welders so I could at least roll the truck around the yard until Wade's got back from the shop.

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2008, 10:33:17 AM by fortysixandtwo »

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:47:19 PM »
Finished up the rear end. Looking good....  :biggthumpup:

High-steer and sliders go on:

Unfortunatly, I don't own a camera so half the process went undocumented when my buddy with the camera was working. Doh! Anyway, here she is after slapping the new meats on her:

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2009, 12:13:26 AM by fortysixandtwo »

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2007, 02:29:59 PM »
 :biggthumpup: sweet build up!  not worried about shackle unloading/wrap at all?  shadetree mechanics is where its at! :gap:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Ya brought that thing a long way! oh and double shackles suck in my opinion. How do yoy like them and how did they change your treet handling?
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2007, 01:31:19 PM »
Well two of my friends have been running the same set up i am using out back for years now. After riding all around town and offroad in those trucks I determined that was what i wanted to do. I set my shackle angle the same as his because he has never inverted a shackle and doesnt seem to have any problems with axle wrap. with the 35s my tires rub well before the dual shackles even reach their extended limit. He runs 37s but the same thing applies to his rig.

I was against doing the double shackle for a while but i really like how my rear end flexes and thus far street handling has been fine. If I hit speed bumps at 45mph my rear end hops but i try not to do that too often so its not really a problem.  :gap:

ive been driving it on the street for almost a month now and it handles great. without the little stablizer bar up front anymore the truck sways a bit more on corners, but i was prepared for that so its nothing more than correcting the way i drive. I can actualy flex the truck a lot without the shackle unloading. in fact, with only 2wd at the moment I cant even flex it enough for the chevy shackle to come off the frame. As time goes by and i start to wheel the truck i will let you know if i still like the setup. so far though, im stoked  :thumbs:

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2007, 06:46:11 PM »
Update: got my front 5.29s, and put my square driveshaft on. Went out this last weekend for the first time. Works awesome offroad. Im not happy with my front YJ springs so im going to swap them for some jeep wagoneer front springs. My buddy hooked it up a set for a real steal so whenever I feel like cleaning them up and painting them I will slap em on. For now though Im just going to wheel it how it is. Flex is awesome, so is the added axle clearance. took a few trails i never did before because i thought i would scrape really bad. going to try and get some pics together of the Runner in action.

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2009, 12:14:44 AM by fortysixandtwo »

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2007, 02:49:54 PM »
I painted my sliders the other day. Also, to help out with the traction in the snow and mud I got some skateboard deck tape and put it on top of the sliders. Already put em to good use in a few mudholes...  :greengrin:

Anyway, here are some of the most recent pictures.

« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2007, 10:40:48 PM by fortysixandtwo »

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:07:07 PM »
Here are a few more. Took it out to a pile of rocks and tested out the flex. Dont like my front springs at all. Looking foreward to replacing the YJs with the waggy springs that are already nice and broken in. Afterwards I went up to 4x4 Labs and picked up some 6 inch front shackles and 1" add a leafs to slap under the 63s so that my rear end matches up with the front. Ill wait to put all this stuff on for when Im done cleaning and painting my wagoneers.

Overall, I am really stoked on how my rig came together. Flexes great, the 5.29s and 4.7s work really well, even with open difs she crawls like a champ. Cant wait to toss and aussie locker or a lockrite in the back for this summer. Then after I break the truck in all summer Im going duals with an ARB up front....whee. Its been a long time in the making but my 4runner is finally "done" for now. Now Ive got to get some actual wheeling pics for you guys. Soon..... 
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2009, 12:15:22 AM by fortysixandtwo »

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:19:04 PM »
 :cool: looks real nice.....i used some cheap bedliner spray....works pretty good too and the adhesive wont come off when it gets wet and dirty like grip tape
RIP KYOTA

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2007, 04:09:32 PM »
looks pretty sick
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2007, 06:51:04 PM »
Sweeeeeeet RUNNER  :biggthumpup: bud you did good  :yesnod:

:usa: :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2007, 07:26:18 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys! Im proud of how it came along. It seemed for most of the journey that I would never get the truck on all four 35s offroad, but its finally happened. My friends have all gone to fordyce but none of us have ever been to the rubicon. we are all looking foreward to getting several trips planned for this summer. hopefuly i will be able to attend the MC roundup as well. I have always wanted to go.

As for the grip tape, Ill probably get some spray on bedliner later on. for now i will just use up the deck tape ive got laying around.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2007, 12:29:16 AM »
Got some new meats. Found a smoking deal on pirate for some Discoverer mud terrains mounted on 15x10 rock crawler rims (all black), a new optima red top, and a  :turtle: dual Tcase cross member. Havnt put the battery in yet but i slapped the new rubber on. Went wheeling on some local trails but as usual since im always driving i never seem to get any good pictures. Afterwards I gave the 4runner a bath....which is the first time in several months. Looks so shiny n purdy...

Still getting those front waggys sanded down and painted up. weather hasnt been good at all so im waiting for at least a few decent days of sun before i go painting my springs and shackles. I also want to replace the center pins in the waggys, just since i have the time and the truck they came off of was running portal axles with 53s...probably a wise idea... :P
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2007, 12:21:41 AM by fortysixandtwo »

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #22 on: Mar 05, 2007, 07:07:46 AM »
Nice clean 4Runner!  I hope mine looks as nice as yours when I'm done with it!
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2007, 10:49:25 PM »
Heres my  :turtle: skidplate and the redtop optima. Going to throw the battery in when I get a new radiator friday. POS has been leaking and is corroded in a lot of places. getting a 3 core to replace it. Going to do a few other things too while im at it, trying to figure out an annoying surging idle problem. Im not sure if the new radiator will help out, but its been in need of replacement for a while. Tomorow im going to start taking apart my 44044s to replace the center pins and clips. Im hoping i will have time on friday to swap my 44044s on and the new 6 inch front shackles on for this weekend.... :beerchug:

« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2007, 09:03:48 PM by fortysixandtwo »

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2007, 10:50:30 PM »
Nice clean 4Runner!  I hope mine looks as nice as yours when I'm done with it!

Thanks man! I have been following your build up for quite a while. I wish i had a camera when I built my 4runner because i had wanted to document the entire process. I had to do a lot of shifting around though because i dont have my own shop (or certain tools yet), moving my truck from my house to various friends houses and a few 4x4 shops.  Ironicaly I got a camera about a month after the build was basicaly "done". On the plus side now i can take action shots when I finaly do some decent wheeling. I hope you are meeting your deadline for moab!

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2007, 10:07:13 PM »
Replaced my leaky coroded ol 2 core radiator with a 3 core 4 cyl turbo rad and put in my Optima battery. Now my idle doesnt change when i turn on my headlights, should help with the winching too :) Had to modify my old fan shroud to get it to fit on the back of the turbo radiator though.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 18, 2007, 10:32:31 PM »
Went out wheeling at Greenhorn this past weekend. Saw some carnage, a kid bought a crawler for $5000 and then proceeded to roll it almost instantly. Farted around with some of my buddys and their rigs, went back out today to get some pictures. nothing spectacular, greenhorn wheeling at its finest....had to get some action shots though.... 

Poser shots...

Whee...

Getting a little flexy

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007, 10:13:33 PM by fortysixandtwo »

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 18, 2007, 10:41:38 PM »
My friend Brandon's well built TJ on 37 mtrs.

Tackling the waterfall

Need a few more mods before I can go all the way though...  :eyebrow:

Overall had fun, got to release some of that built up wheeling stress. Lack of a rear locker is annoying me though, im trying to decide on a detroit or an aussie locker. Ive been reading a lot of good things about Aussies and for the price I cant beat it. Leaning towards getting one of those.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 01:08:46 PM by fortysixandtwo »

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2007, 10:58:16 PM »
nice pics,  where in california is green horn?
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 19, 2007, 12:45:47 AM »
Its located just outside of Grass Valley...an hour or so east of sacramento