Author Topic: [Project Reeda]yup. engines out  (Read 57364 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: [Project Reeda]windshield soon?
« Reply #510 on: Jul 25, 2008, 10:49:20 PM »
ill be driving less than that...
1. because i cant afford it
2. cuz i got no where to go, cept wheelin (in dirt) thats like 12 miles on pavement one way

but i like the muds, so well see what i can pulloff. after i told my parents brett gave me the tires, they said they werent his to give. and now ive heard him talking about trading them for an engine for his chevy...im gonna be pretty pissed if that happens. i gotta talk to him tomorrow about it.

BD last i checked they wer up around 200ish i think.

Tirerack has them for 188, and the 35"s for 183 ??? typo I'm thinking :hahaha:

they're 33x10.50 is $159

I bought my 35"s 2 years ago or so, mabye 3, and they were 168.  

Just an FYI, I strongly recommend America's Tire Co.  I was going to buy the tires from Sams club, but they had to special order them, pay up front, and they'd have them in 2 weeks.  Well, I needed the money from selling my old tires to get the new ones, so I couldn't do that.  I already had a buyer, and he was willing to buy them on the day I got my new tires.  So I price checked some more, and Americas Tire price matches.  I went in, they had the tires in stock, I told them what sams was selling them for ($175)  and the guy said, ok, how does 168 a tire sound? Great!!  :thumbs:  

They've also fixed some stuff for me for free (nail in my MTRs, 2 leaking valve stems, g/f ran over a bolt, etc. )

So whatever you get, I'd definitely check with them :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #511 on: Jul 25, 2008, 10:52:12 PM »
true. if i gotta buy new tires, ill probably get 33s. i like th emaxxis bighorns or whatever theyre called. or the bfg muds. i should be aquiring a set of the new bfg MTs in the next few months. for a total of free.....

Bd, i think it was ATC that my brother bought general grabbers from originally and payed the extra for the offroad warranty. then when the grabbers were nationally backordered for months when he needed a new tire, they made him pay an additional $350 to swap out his nearly new grabbers for bfg muds....
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: Jul 25, 2008, 10:53:16 PM »
WTF?  

I just looked at America Tire Co. and they're 33"s are more expensive than 35"s too ???  

:dunno:  

Prices definitely went up though, the 35"s at America tire are $201, and the 33"s are $211  

But like I said, they price match, so :dunno:

Bd, i think it was ATC that my brother bought general grabbers from originally and payed the extra for the offroad warranty. then when the grabbers were nationally backordered for months when he needed a new tire, they made him pay an additional $350 to swap out his nearly new grabbers for bfg muds....

Well, thats not their fault that the tires were nationally backordered, and General is a cheaper brand than BFG.  So I can understand him having to pay extra to get a better tire.  I'm betting that at the time, it was about the price difference between the generals and the BFGs per tire that he payed, and the warranty still applied to the BFGs for everything. 

Granted, its good customer service to take the hit financially, and they should when the problem is their fault, but when its something out of their hands, its not wrong (IMO) for them to ask for some more $$ if they're replacing a jacked tire with a better one than original.  I'm betting too, that there is some fine print in the warranty that says something to that effect.  :twocents:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #513 on: Jul 25, 2008, 10:57:53 PM »
yea i think the 33s are probably more popular.

around here prices are generally a little higher because of the lack of competition for tire prices.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 983
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: Jul 26, 2008, 04:56:20 PM »
get MTRs, i like mine alot. but get 37s, i wish i did.
4.7 t-case, welded rear, 33s, sr5 buckits, sas sooner than later. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=74399.0

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #515 on: Jul 26, 2008, 10:25:01 PM »
get MTRs, i like mine alot. but get 37s, i wish i did.
how am i about to run 37s on my IFS and actually plan to wheel it? :slap: once im SAS'd abd i wear out the hypothetical 35 bfgs, ill upgrade to some 37s. but at that point it should be osme of the new KM2 BFGs :yesnod:

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: Jul 26, 2008, 10:29:39 PM »
how am i about to run 37s on my IFS and actually plan to wheel it? :slap: once im SAS'd abd i wear out the hypothetical 35 bfgs, ill upgrade to some 37s. but at that point it should be osme of the new KM2 BFGs :yesnod:
my buddy chris is, IFS & 37in MTRs. not the best but he aint broke it.
4.7 t-case, welded rear, 33s, sr5 buckits, sas sooner than later. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=74399.0

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: Jul 26, 2008, 10:34:38 PM »

If he hasn't broke it, then he must not be wheeling it very hard. My friend on 30s has broken 2 axle shafts and bent steering components on his 92 toy, and thats with what most would probably consider milder wheeling, AKA no rocks.

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: Jul 26, 2008, 10:46:27 PM »
yeah, he aint too hard on it but he has used it. he went to the moon rocks with us last trip. but scott (goose) rocked the con on 33s and a welded dif on IFS. no brakage and he gets down.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #519 on: Jul 27, 2008, 12:34:48 AM »

that gives me some confidence
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: Jul 27, 2008, 12:39:40 AM »
that gives me some confidence

umm... did you read my post right below it? apperently not...

If he hasn't broke it, then he must not be wheeling it very hard. My friend on 30s has broken 2 axle shafts and bent steering components on his 92 toy, and thats with what most would probably consider milder wheeling, AKA no rocks.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #521 on: Jul 27, 2008, 12:44:05 AM »

umm... did you read my post right below it? apperently not...

Look at BLACKDOG though....
and i have new CVs and access to two more new ones.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: Jul 27, 2008, 12:46:27 AM »
Look at BLACKDOG though....

BD breaks stuff too, he is buying the CVs and steering components off of the 90 from me.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #523 on: Jul 27, 2008, 12:48:04 AM »
BD says he breaks them and bends steering components. That is why he is buying the CVs and all steering componets off of the 90.

yeah i remember him saying that... but he is way harder on his :pokinit: then i am on mine.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: Jul 27, 2008, 12:42:52 PM »
wheel smart, and you're stuff will last.  You can still go big and wheel smart.  Some people think that as soon as you start doing crazy stuff, you're going to break stuff, but thats not true.  If you think about what you're doing, follow the basic rules (esp. with IFS) and choose your lines wisely, you'll do fine.  Almost everytime I've broken stuff, its been because I did something I knew I shouldn't, and something popped.  Stuff has been breaking more in recent wheeling trips, but I believe that simply has to do with the age of the components, and the stress that has been put on them since I've owned  the truck.  I originally had 37"s on mine, and would have had no problem getting them again, but I couldn't afford them at the time, so I dropped down to 35"s.  I've broken more stuff on 35"s than I did on 37"s. :gap:

Besides, in this sport, you're probably going to break something eventually, thats the nature of the beast.  Murphy rides with us all the time, and its only a matter of time before he wakes up. 

I'm betting he's jumped it a few times, huh? 

-Ronald Reagan

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #525 on: Jul 27, 2008, 01:26:32 PM »
wheel smart, and you're stuff will last.  You can still go big and wheel smart.  Some people think that as soon as you start doing crazy stuff, you're going to break stuff, but thats not true.  If you think about what you're doing, follow the basic rules (esp. with IFS) and choose your lines wisely, you'll do fine.  Almost everytime I've broken stuff, its been because I did something I knew I shouldn't, and something popped.  Stuff has been breaking more in recent wheeling trips, but I believe that simply has to do with the age of the components, and the stress that has been put on them since I've owned  the truck.  I originally had 37"s on mine, and would have had no problem getting them again, but I couldn't afford them at the time, so I dropped down to 35"s.  I've broken more stuff on 35"s than I did on 37"s. :gap:

Besides, in this sport, you're probably going to break something eventually, thats the nature of the beast.  Murphy rides with us all the time, and its only a matter of time before he wakes up. 

exactly.
im not to easy on my :pokinit: and nothing as broken.
besides a tranny that was neglected by the previous owner... who let the oil get too low a few times and it wore the shaft weird.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: Jul 27, 2008, 03:18:50 PM »

The two times I have seen him break CVs was on just dirt hill climbs. Pedal to the metal bouncing up hill climbs is what did it both times. The driver side axle broke both times. He bent a few steering components as well, but I was not there when he did those. I figure this is not nearly as hard on components as rock crawling, since he was on worn down 30s with no grip and on loose sandy soil. But what do i know, I am just a dumb kid. He has since sold the truck and bought a tacoma to beat on. I have not seen him in a few months.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #527 on: Jul 27, 2008, 03:28:26 PM »
The two times I have seen him break CVs was on just dirt hill climbs. Pedal to the metal bouncing up hill climbs is what did it both times. The driver side axle broke both times. He bent a few steering components as well, but I was not there when he did those. I figure this is not nearly as hard on components as rock crawling, since he was on worn down 30s with no grip and on loose sandy soil. But what do i know, I am just a dumb kid. He has since sold the truck and bought a tacoma to beat on. I have not seen him in a few months.

balls to the wall... bouncing.... is very hard on CVs
think about velocity and everything.... spinning that fast and then slamming down on a hard surface constantly.... something is guna give.

rock crawling is much slower pace.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: Jul 27, 2008, 03:31:01 PM »
HO, you do not read well... it was soft sandy soil, not hard surface. Have you ever rockcrawled HO? Parts get loaded and unloaded pretty dang hard. The tire grips, then slips, the grips, then slips. It can be pretty dang violent!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #529 on: Jul 27, 2008, 03:38:14 PM »
HO, you do not read well... it was soft sandy soil, not hard surface. Have you ever rockcrawled HO? Parts get loaded and unloaded pretty dang hard. The tire grips, then slips, the grips, then slips. It can be pretty dang violent!

i do read man.... doing what  your buddy did... is very hard on IFS believe it or not.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: Jul 27, 2008, 03:50:30 PM »

That'll do it!  :yesnod:  when the tires have no resistance, they'll accelerate, and then when they come down (even on soft, sandy soil) something has to give.  the sudden slowing of momentum on the tires will kill the axle shafts.  Go bouncing around on rocks, does the same thing, just more likely.  Thats why the "smart" wheelers take their time, and go slow, using their brains and their gears, not the skinny pedal

-Ronald Reagan

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: Jul 27, 2008, 04:19:22 PM »
but but but.... the skinny pedal is just soooo much fun!

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: Jul 28, 2008, 12:39:48 AM »
yeah, i have done alot of both and hot roddin dose it every time. crawlin is hard on :pokinit: forsure, but much more predictable and you can control carnage alot better.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #533 on: Jul 29, 2008, 04:14:25 AM »
That'll do it!  :yesnod:  when the tires have no resistance, they'll accelerate, and then when they come down (even on soft, sandy soil) something has to give.  the sudden slowing of momentum on the tires will kill the axle shafts.  Go bouncing around on rocks, does the same thing, just more likely.  Thats why the "smart" wheelers take their time, and go slow, using their brains and their gears, not the skinny pedal

which is why id trust you to be my spotter :yupyup:

yeah, i have done alot of both and hot roddin dose it every time. crawlin is hard on :pokinit: forsure, but much more predictable and you can control carnage alot better.

very true.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: Jul 29, 2008, 11:09:14 AM »
:)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: Jul 29, 2008, 01:12:57 PM »
which is why id trust you to be my spotter :yupyup:

very true.

:thumbs: thanks! 

-Ronald Reagan

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #536 on: Jul 30, 2008, 12:35:43 PM »

:thumbs: thanks! 

Cause you know how the IFS does on that kind of course.
:beerchug:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: Jul 30, 2008, 09:52:18 PM »
and birfeild el diablo. :)

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #538 on: Jul 31, 2008, 01:29:02 AM »
and birfeild el diablo. :)

huh..... that was random
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: Jul 31, 2008, 10:58:12 PM »
huh..... that was random
yeah it was, i dont remember sayin that. good name for em though.:)