Author Topic: Motorcycle Riders  (Read 127829 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle Riders
« Reply #360 on: Nov 01, 2008, 03:47:53 PM »
What actually needs to be fixed?  If you only need a new piston/rings, it's easy to do yourself.  If any pieces got down inside you'll have to split the cases, which may be a bit much to do if you're not experienced.  Any of the shops in town will do fine, but being a kawi I'd suggest Lee's on larkspur  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #361 on: Nov 01, 2008, 04:28:42 PM »
What actually needs to be fixed?  If you only need a new piston/rings, it's easy to do yourself.  If any pieces got down inside you'll have to split the cases, which may be a bit much to do if you're not experienced.  Any of the shops in town will do fine, but being a kawi I'd suggest Lee's on larkspur  :thumbs:
to be honest im not too sure exactly, im getting it from my brother and he said it needs to be redone. :dunno: ive had a 2stroke motor apart before and put it back together and it ran just fine so i know i could at least do the top-end myself, but the whole bike is in pieces now (the way he got it) Lee's i fairly expensive normally from my experiences, any other smaller shops youd recommend?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: Nov 01, 2008, 04:32:07 PM »
This is a pretty good short vid of Gary McCoy sliding around.  This is what I practiced doing until I highsided  :_oops:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gELHaZIDJqM&feature=related
Done correctly, that is a thing of beauty to watch.   :thumbs:

Equally exciting (though in a different way) if it ends in a highside...   :o
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: Nov 01, 2008, 05:40:06 PM »
I can't say it was so exciting cause I think I momentarily blacked out  :dunno:  I was sliding on my back before I knew what was going on, thinking "what the hell kinda sound is that?  what kinda dream am I.", then noticed I could hear something else sliding behind me, pivoted around while still sliding and saw the bike and realized what was going on.  I'd just left a friend's house and he came out to see if I'd dropped my chain or something, saw me sliding.  He said I jumped to my feet before I'd stopped, grabbed the bike while it was still sliding, popped it up and was trying to get it started while still moving  :haha:  Good times!

Norcal, there's a shop around the corner from Lee's but I know nothing about him really, other than he worked at redding yamaha for a while.  I don't know the name of the shop or phone #, but my friend does so I'll try and get it for you later.  Lee's may be spendy, but any place that will stand behind their work probably will be  :thumbs:  I say wait till you get it to worry about fixing it, and post pics here and we'll do what we can!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: Nov 01, 2008, 05:47:08 PM »
Done correctly, that is a thing of beauty to watch.   :thumbs:

I know I've pulled a few off, be it by accident or on purpose, that were at least mildly entertaining to those in traffic, but I once did a beautiful power slide through the intersection on cypress getting on the freeway northbound.  I couldn't help but smile big after that.  I did another this summer on cold tires on my way to work, completely unexpected, but I just went with it when it kicked out and had fun.  I couldn't stop laughing afterward!
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #365 on: Nov 01, 2008, 07:28:58 PM »

Norcal, there's a shop around the corner from Lee's but I know nothing about him really, other than he worked at redding yamaha for a while.  I don't know the name of the shop or phone #, but my friend does so I'll try and get it for you later.  Lee's may be spendy, but any place that will stand behind their work probably will be  :thumbs:  I say wait till you get it to worry about fixing it, and post pics here and we'll do what we can!
jus doin some research now, the bike is in Redding, so im not sure if my bro will btoher bringing it up, i think hes planin on me tellin him to drop it off at a shop and leavin it there til tis done, but it would be a fun winter project depending on what all is actualyl worng with it... :idea:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: Nov 02, 2008, 08:51:48 PM »
I know I've pulled a few off, be it by accident or on purpose, that were at least mildly entertaining to those in traffic, but I once did a beautiful power slide through the intersection on cypress getting on the freeway northbound.  I couldn't help but smile big after that.  I did another this summer on cold tires on my way to work, completely unexpected, but I just went with it when it kicked out and had fun.  I couldn't stop laughing afterward!
Those are the best ones.  They just kinda happen and they feel good so you just stay on it and go with the flow.  When I really nail one I'll shift my weight to the rear when I'm ready to straighten up and gently transition into a wheelie while still hangin' out a bit.  Man, I love that feeling...  Kinda brings back the old days on the dirt track.
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Good Drivers........................NOT
« Reply #367 on: Feb 06, 2009, 03:22:51 AM »
Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZlhpfCdyS4

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fZlhpfCdyS4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fZlhpfCdyS4</a>

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:46:24 AM »
Wish I had some wet weather pants, all this rain is making me wanna ride the street bike   :tantrum:
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #369 on: Feb 16, 2009, 01:13:53 PM »
Wish I had some wet weather pants, all this rain is making me wanna ride the street bike   :tantrum:
just take your usual riding Levi's and scotchgard them. Might want to spray the mohawk down as well.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: Feb 16, 2009, 07:13:09 PM »
Might want to spray the mohawk down as well.

:spit:  I did spray down both sets of camo wranglers, which are pretty tough, but the little bit I was outside with them on they did soak through.  A big part of my problem is the cold on my knees, which is amplified with them bent like that and getting direct wind.  Takes a long time to get them moving again after riding on cold days.
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #371 on: Feb 16, 2009, 07:19:44 PM »
copied from Pirate:

From VitalMX.com:
This was posted on our district site, the letter is from Greg Robinson, Owner of Unadilla...

Good Afternoon...forget the good, as our country has descended into lunacy.

I have spent most of the day on two conference calls relative to the subject line above, and I must say I am rather concerned about the fate of our sport and industry. Not to mention our local communities for the further loss of jobs and $$ that our industry brings in each year. It is certainly that dire..believe me.

As of yesterday, all the OEMs had to pull for sale all new youth minicycles and atvs for those under the age of 13...this under order of the CPSC due to lead content of plastics and certain metals. As of yesterday, a dealer or private individual can no longer provide parts or service, to these affected machines, in which there is a possibility that those same parts may contain lead...no oil changes, plastic, levers, engine cases, etc, etc..goggles, helmets, clothing, knee braces..you name it. You may think that is just for new machines, but it is for everything new and used.

The CPSC also ruled that machines under 85cc are considered toxic to the health of young children.

Effective yesterday, Honda has pulled replacement parts from their service system for these machines pending lead certification...this takes 400 days. KTM, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha are doing the same thing. If you have a 1,2,3 year old machine, you won't be able to buy most parts for it very soon.

Yamaha is sending out restrictions to its dealers saying that an 85cc bike can only be sold, and should only be operated by someone over the age of 13.

Now to the fun part for us as a race promoter.

Because the manufacturers are now issuing these guidelines, we as promoters cannot allow a youth under the age of 13 to participate for two reasons.
We are allowing someone to participate in a sanctioned activity on a vehicle that has been determined by the manufacturer and the CPSC to be unsafe for that age level.
We are allowing someone to participate in a sanctioned activity on a vehicle that the CPSC has determined is a toxic substance.
If you think I am joking, consider the following
MX Sports is considering removing youth classes from the Loretta Lynn's program, GNCC, and ATV Nationals...we run all three of these series and I can tell you that these classes make up over 1/3 of our entries and more than half of our attendance.
The AMA will be forced to ban youths under 13 from any AMA amateur or pro competition due to legal ramifications. The same will apply to local districts and sanctioning bodies, as insurance will not be available to cover this exposure.
The lifeblood of our sport are these kids..if they cannot participate, they will find something else to do, and we will not get them back. They will not race, watch, or buy products. That means Mom, Dad and older brothers/sisters won't be there either.
Unadilla would most likely not participate in any form of amateur racing..with only half or less of the entries left, it wouldn't be financially possible.
DO I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION YET!

There are two efforts going on right now to get a temporary stay granted by the CPSC for "Off Road Vehicles." The MIC (Motorcycle Industry Council) and Missouri State House Rep Mike Sense(#4 in line in the MO st govt) are both developing grass roots letter campaigns through websites to develop a ground swell of support for this stay. Keep in mind this is only temporary, and unless a Federal injunction or legislation is developed, this isn't going away.

There are several opinions floating around on this subject saying that our thinking is flawed and that only the sale of new units is affected...if that is the case, why are helmet, goggle, sneakers, sunglasses, OEM parts and accessories, and dealer service being pulled for these units???

I will leave you with this..if indeed this is overblown, and we are right that we shouldn't be affected by this, it still doesn't mean that we can't/won't be sued by someone using this logic, and worse yet, convince a jury that the above is true. If it gets that far, you will have spent nearly a million $$ in your own defense, just to prove you were right all along.

IS IT WORTH THAT TO YOU?

I will get you info on the two websites, and I encourage you to beg everyone you know that rides, owns, promotes, or attends an off road sporting event to get everyone they know in the same manner to fill out one of these letters...Every Mom Dad and Kid should individually enter their name. Then they should contact their local representatives too.

Greg Robinson
VP Marketing
Unadillla Motorsports
(c) 315-725-9537
greg@unadillamx.com

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:40:10 PM »
:yikes:  that's insane!  Just another way for the eco-nazis to get one step closer to banning all off-road vehicles  :shake:
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #373 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:56:01 PM »
yep. now help us not let them do any further harm!!!!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: Feb 16, 2009, 10:45:05 PM »
Where be the links to contact? 
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #375 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:17:44 AM »
:smack: guess that would help, huh?
http://www.tomself.com is a the place to sign this all important petition.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #376 on: Feb 18, 2009, 04:21:25 PM »
nevermind.

jd77

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: Mar 26, 2009, 08:53:24 AM »
I got a trashed 1980 Honda cm 400 the previous owner hit a deer . he was wearing shorts when he wrecked so he took my 75 dollar offer.I wear a helmet when its cold which is 8 months a year here.I wear gloves always and a leather jacket 90 percent of the time.My Harley is only two small boxes of parts.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #378 on: Mar 26, 2009, 09:05:18 AM »
Hey guys,

I just wanted say that yesterday I filled up my GS500E with 89 oct for $5.30 after going 120 miles on 2.4 gallons :thumbs: 50 MPG :yesnod:

$5 should get me another 5 days or so :thumbs: $1 per day for gasoline :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: Insurance is around $10 per month. Do the math. GET A MOTORCYCLE TODAY!!!!
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: Mar 26, 2009, 07:40:53 PM »
:haha:  when you finally bump out of *kid* status, you'll be paying more like $50 a year for insurance.  I think I can get mine for $53 right now.

I wear a helmet when its cold which is 8 months a year here

Not to get preachy, but why not wear it all the time?  A good quality helmet is the only reason I'm alive.  Metal reflector posts and heads don't mix well.
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: Mar 27, 2009, 07:02:10 PM »
:haha:  when you finally bump out of *kid* status, you'll be paying more like $50 a year for insurance.  I think I can get mine for $53 right now.
Good price, Nate...  who are you with now?  I gotta shop around, I'm paying more than that for my old bike.  :shakehead:

Quote from: kneedownnate
Not to get preachy, but why not wear it all the time?  A good quality helmet is the only reason I'm alive.  Metal reflector posts and heads don't mix well.
:sheerterror: Well said.  Are those old pics or did you save the helmet?
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: Mar 27, 2009, 08:47:49 PM »
Just took those pics yesterday I think  :headscratch:  I don't foresee ever getting rid of that helmet  :haha:

McGraw.  Stop by the yamaha shop next time you're up and talk to jerry, assuming he still writes policies.  Helluva nice guy!
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #382 on: Apr 18, 2009, 08:11:29 PM »
So i finally got around to tearing apart the 1986 TT225 i bought for $100 when my buddy needed money. teh condition was unknown, it didnt run and needed some basic work that would just cost some money. Today we pulled it apart to find a few things, first: the cam bushing is gone so it allowed the bike to jump time and severley bend teh exhaust valve, second: its bored 50 over. But the jug has a ridgeline in it so it will either need to be bored to 60 over or i need to find a stock jug to bore out to match teh 50 over piston as well as a new head since yamaha wants ~$160 for a cam and bushing which is another $20 and then new valves form Cycle Salvage will be about $50. So hopefully ill be able to eBay the head and jug from a stock bike and get it matched to mine. or else return bike to stock bore.

also, does anyone know if you can still legalize a bike for onroad use? or take out of state re-register as legal for street, then import back to CA?

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: Apr 18, 2009, 08:53:15 PM »
Dig around on barf (bayarearidersforum.com) and see, I think there's still an outfit that knows ways of street legalizing a dirt bike, but it's hard to do too.  Oregon may be the way to go for you  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #384 on: Apr 18, 2009, 09:06:31 PM »
Dig around on barf (bayarearidersforum.com) and see, I think there's still an outfit that knows ways of street legalizing a dirt bike, but it's hard to do too.  Oregon may be the way to go for you  :dunno:
huh, well iv got family in OR that would be more than happy to "buy" my bike and then sell it back to me. the bike when stock had all the stuff it needed to be legal i think. had a headlight and brake light im sure.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #385 on: Apr 18, 2009, 09:37:58 PM »
Please refrain from using the term "jug". It makes you look severely ignorant and as a (former) motorcycle mechanic I want to slap you. The proper term is cylinder.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: Apr 18, 2009, 09:42:59 PM »
Please refrain from using the term "jug". It makes you look severely ignorant and as a (former) motorcycle mechanic I want to slap you. The proper term is cylinder.

You ridin' the cotton pony?  :greengrin:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #387 on: Apr 18, 2009, 09:48:34 PM »
You ridin' the cotton pony?  :greengrin:
negative ghostrider; I simply have an issue with terms like that. Try going into a shop and telling the guy " I needs me a new juug fer mah byke!" and he will get a look like he is from another planet. The only time I've heard the term in person was from some SC dude. "they sez i needs anoo jugg." ::)

just be lucky I'm sober or i'd really go off.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #388 on: Apr 18, 2009, 09:52:37 PM »
yea. i figured. thats what it was referred to me earlier and had the term stuck in my head.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #389 on: Apr 18, 2009, 09:59:50 PM »
I believe jug comes from air-cooled airplane cylinders on the large rotary engines.   

Then it was applied to air-cooled cylinders in general.

So if it's an air-cooled bike cylinder,  jug should be acceptable
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15