Author Topic: Motorcycle Riders  (Read 127775 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile

NoPower

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since Mar '07
  • Wish the 87 had V8 power...
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle Riders
« Reply #481 on: Nov 26, 2009, 01:11:49 PM »
Nice, I'd like to ride one some day, but I'd probably have a lot more fun on the bigger ones!
Yeah the ducati is great but to small for me... We just got some clip-ons, some new sets, and the termignoni carbon fiber exhaust (sounds great) installed and she is VERY happy with it...

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: Nov 26, 2009, 11:11:43 PM »
Those exhausts usually sound great on a duc!  Got to watch the video at stocker's house, as well as made him and the mrs watch some video of bikes riding thunderhill raceway  :yupyup: 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

FFC's Cousin

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Female Posts: 60
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: Jan 19, 2010, 01:29:06 PM »
my dirtbike news work :(

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: Jan 19, 2010, 02:04:35 PM »
My first street legal bike

My Honda 450 that I sold to buy my GSXR

Then I got out of the Army and left the GSXR in Alaska and bought this when I got back to Missouri.  02 R1

Sold the R1 I couldn't ride it but about 50 miles before I started cramping and bought this sorry no picture only a video.  turn your speakers down
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ZZuKr71KE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ZZuKr71KE</a>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ZZuKr71KE

Then I decided it was too slow so I wanted a fast and comfy bike so I ended up with an 04 FZ1 which I still own.  This is by far been my favoritest bike ever!

I wear jeans and a t-shirt when I ride but I do have an Arai helmet.  I have a shift jacket but I never wear it even though I know I should.

81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:56:27 PM »
Nice Jake!  If memory serves, the fz1 has the r1 engine, just re-tuned to have a little more user friendly low and mid range power.  For the same reasons as you, I want a honda 919.  It uses what was considered to be the best cbr900 engine, just re-tuned for better low end and mid range power delivery.  They're lacking a little in the suspenders if you start to push them, but that can be overcome  ;)  And I long ago learned, never underestimate an old fart on a sporty standard  :haha:

my dirtbike news work :(

I have no clue what you just said  :headscratch:

RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:50:05 AM »
Nice Jake!  If memory serves, the fz1 has the r1 engine, just re-tuned to have a little more user friendly low and mid range power.  For the same reasons as you, I want a honda 919.  It uses what was considered to be the best cbr900 engine, just re-tuned for better low end and mid range power delivery.  They're lacking a little in the suspenders if you start to push them, but that can be overcome  ;)  And I long ago learned, never underestimate an old fart on a sporty standard  :haha:

I have no clue what you just said  :headscratch:

You'd be correct, R1 engine with different cams, although they seem to have a lean off idle condition which makes them a little sluggish off the start they really like the revs.  They make jet kits to rid it of that problem, however overall I have no complaints and the 140 hp is very easy to manage compared to the R1 that was like trying to tame a bull.
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:01:23 AM »

theres a picture of my broken collar bone from crashing a 660 raptor at top speed notice the "hardware" in my humerus as well.  The collar bone also received a pin.  When I get old I am going to know it thats for sure  :smack:

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:41:24 PM »
Strange, they usually reserve the off-idle lean spot for the california models. 

:ack:  My collarbone should be broken like that but I think it's reinforced.  I had a 40 hp outboard motor dropped right on it and didn't even chip it.  Highsided the bike in an ill-fated power slide, landed on my shoulder and dislodged some crap in my sternum but didn't break the collarbone  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #489 on: Mar 08, 2010, 01:18:05 PM »
Just got back from the dunes. Holy :pokinit: it was awesome. Iv never had a motorcycle on the dunes before but it was super easy to learn to ride. got the new piston in the bike last week (finally) then left for a 3 day weekend in Winchester Bay, OR. tons of fun. Had no brakes all weekend (my fault-ish), the exhaust fell off once when bolts rattled loose, but otherwise everything worked prettty damn well considering it was the first real ride Iv had the bike on.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: Mar 08, 2010, 10:59:49 PM »
That's great blake!  I've yet to ride the dunes but look forward to doing so one day.  What was the deal with your brakes?

I'm really close to getting the street bike back on the road.  I still have to epoxy a couple tabs back on my headlight, finish putting on the bodywork and give it a good once over, but I did finally switch out my front wheel, paint the sides, tail and front plastic and adjust my chain.  I'm bummed that with all the work I put into smoothing out my sides there were still major glitches, but since I don't have my compressor I'm not going to worry about getting it too good, plus the krylon spray paint I used sucked major balls  :shake:  Don't know how they stay in business with such horrible paint.
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #491 on: Mar 09, 2010, 12:01:05 AM »
That's great blake!  I've yet to ride the dunes but look forward to doing so one day.  What was the deal with your brakes?

The rear brakes need adjusting badly and then the bolt that makes the foot lever a lever, rattled loose and got lost. So no rears. I think the front also need adjusting and maybe new pads but in sand fronts are near worthless anyways because it just cause the tire to dig and wash out.

I think Im goin back to the dunes in August for my 18th bday so hopefully Ill be a little better prepared or have a 450... :idea:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: Mar 09, 2010, 12:45:56 AM »
Probably not a bad idea to bleed out all the old brake bluid too, but make sure you get the proper fluid for it, probably dot 4 or 5.  I usually use bel-ray, maxima, torco, something good.  They use so little that's it's easy to justify the cost.

At least you have an idea what to expect when you go back  ;)

I've been thinking more and more about getting a dirt bike and as much as I'd like a 450, something in the 250f range makes more sense to me.  A friend's old roommate has a 2005ish yzf250 that doesn't run and hasn't for a few years.  I was thinking of seeing how much he wanted for it and thought the value might be in the $2000 range, but looking on craigslist I see other 250s for about $2200 in running condition, so I may just wait till I sell off some more stuff and buy something I won't have to fix, especially if it'll end up costing me more.

This seems to be about the best deal on craigslist right now:  http://redding.craigslist.org/mcy/1632202139.html
RIP KYOTA

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: Mar 09, 2010, 01:11:03 AM »
Probably not a bad idea to bleed out all the old brake bluid too, but make sure you get the proper fluid for it, probably dot 4 or 5.  I usually use bel-ray, maxima, torco, something good.  They use so little that's it's easy to justify the cost.

At least you have an idea what to expect when you go back  ;)

I've been thinking more and more about getting a dirt bike and as much as I'd like a 450, something in the 250f range makes more sense to me.  A friend's old roommate has a 2005ish yzf250 that doesn't run and hasn't for a few years.  I was thinking of seeing how much he wanted for it and thought the value might be in the $2000 range, but looking on craigslist I see other 250s for about $2200 in running condition, so I may just wait till I sell off some more stuff and buy something I won't have to fix, especially if it'll end up costing me more.

This seems to be about the best deal on craigslist right now:  http://redding.craigslist.org/mcy/1632202139.html

Four stroke dirtbikes are much MUCH more costly to rebuild engine-wise compared to two strokes. In racing, if a bike doesn't have a ton of money dumped into it, they are not worth rebuilding the engine to race condition again, hence why there are so many cheap, few year old four stroke dirtbikes for sale. Just be aware how much it will cost to fix that engine.

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: Mar 09, 2010, 01:12:18 AM »
Just got back from the dunes. Holy :pokinit: it was awesome. Iv never had a motorcycle on the dunes before but it was super easy to learn to ride. got the new piston in the bike last week (finally) then left for a 3 day weekend in Winchester Bay, OR. tons of fun. Had no brakes all weekend (my fault-ish), the exhaust fell off once when bolts rattled loose, but otherwise everything worked prettty damn well considering it was the first real ride Iv had the bike on.

Dunes are fun, but I wouldn't take a bike to the dunes to break in a piston, but that is just me. Too much high rpm, full throttle to break in a piston.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: Mar 09, 2010, 11:10:18 AM »
Good point, but I'm pretty sure it's an electrical problem like no spark.  I guess it just quit running on him one day or he shut it off and it wouldn't restart, and he's just let it sit for a few years rather than looking into it.
RIP KYOTA

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: Mar 09, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
Good point, but I'm pretty sure it's an electrical problem like no spark.  I guess it just quit running on him one day or he shut it off and it wouldn't restart, and he's just let it sit for a few years rather than looking into it.

Oh wow, haha, I would buy that sucker up and fix it then. Even if you don't use it much, you could probably resell it for $$ once fixed.

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 555
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: Mar 09, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »
How I roll.
1964 (six fo) Honda Touring Dream 305. Getting a little love as we speak for the riding season. Still has the sticker on the back fender from Sunnyslope Honda in Phoenix where it was purchased new.
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2010, 02:02:35 PM by yjay »
22re Daily Driver
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56568.0
91 4Runner-R151f, MC07,23 spline duals, Marlin 1200lb clutch, 85 Front axle, Leaf swap rear, Yukon 5.29's, BFG KM2 35's, Detroit, OBA, 280k

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #498 on: Mar 09, 2010, 03:42:33 PM »
Dunes are fun, but I wouldn't take a bike to the dunes to break in a piston, but that is just me. Too much high rpm, full throttle to break in a piston.
I got the new piston broken in with a couple days of riding before the dune trip. Definitely didnt want to try breakin at the dunes.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #499 on: Mar 09, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »
Probably not a bad idea to bleed out all the old brake bluid too, but make sure you get the proper fluid for it, probably dot 4 or 5.  I usually use bel-ray, maxima, torco, something good.  They use so little that's it's easy to justify the cost.

At least you have an idea what to expect when you go back  ;)

I've been thinking more and more about getting a dirt bike and as much as I'd like a 450, something in the 250f range makes more sense to me.  A friend's old roommate has a 2005ish yzf250 that doesn't run and hasn't for a few years.  I was thinking of seeing how much he wanted for it and thought the value might be in the $2000 range, but looking on craigslist I see other 250s for about $2200 in running condition, so I may just wait till I sell off some more stuff and buy something I won't have to fix, especially if it'll end up costing me more.

I really wish I had $2300 right now, I know a guy selling an 03 honda 450 with some work done (exhaust, mild engine. new platics, graphics, etc) He didnt ever "race" it but I know he did ride hard on it. :dunno:

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: Mar 30, 2010, 08:44:18 PM »
Even if it is, it's still entertaining to watch!  Guy totally panicked when he saw mr chp and grabbed the front brake, he wasn't even going that fast.  I like how the leo was already rolling toward him before the guy was even done sliding.  People talk smack about them, sometimes deservedly so, but he did his job and blocked the guy from oncoming traffic.  Check some of the other links, it seems tons of people crash there.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 03, 2010, 12:04:45 AM »
Went for a ride last week another this week, so between that and riding to work I might have around 600 miles on the new tires.  I rode alone both times and kept the pace reasonable but did have fun anyway, and it seems I've worn off 99.9% of the shiny on the front tire for the first time in at least a few years. 

I took a chance on some different tires and am not hugely impressed but they are ok.  They warm up quick enough and seem to be wearing fairly well, but the rear kicks out when hitting small rocks and gravel in the corners.  Could be partially due air pressure, but I'm running nearly the same pressure as I have before.  Metzeler is coming out with a new sportec, so unless I get a smokin deal on the current sportecs, I'll be running the new ones when these wear out.

Here are a few pics I took next to the trinity river on my way back.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 03, 2010, 12:10:25 AM »
Last few pics
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #504 on: May 04, 2010, 09:45:45 PM »
hows your bike for comfort and riding a bit longer distances? still do ok or whats your opinion on it?

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 05, 2010, 12:24:54 AM »
HORRIBLE  :yikes:  Pretty sure Honda engineers were phoning it in when they designed the seat.  It's hard and wide with thin padding.  My hips get a bit cramped since I'm running racing rearsets, which move the footpeg position up and back about 1.5" each.  My right wrist and hand get badly cramped and fall asleep, but that'll likely happen to me on any bike set up with clip ons instead of handlebars.
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #506 on: May 06, 2010, 08:29:22 PM »
HORRIBLE  :yikes:  Pretty sure Honda engineers were phoning it in when they designed the seat.  It's hard and wide with thin padding.  My hips get a bit cramped since I'm running racing rearsets, which move the footpeg position up and back about 1.5" each.  My right wrist and hand get badly cramped and fall asleep, but that'll likely happen to me on any bike set up with clip ons instead of handlebars.
So why not get something more comfortable...? :dunno:

Gixxer Jon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 104
  • Male Posts: 646
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 06, 2010, 08:31:07 PM »
Last few pics

Look at those chicken strips... :laugh: JK Nate
Hillcrest Crawlers

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=67011.0

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 06, 2010, 11:36:36 PM »
Does this make you feel any better?  :cheese:  This is back from when I actually rode harder on the street and wore out tires more regularly.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 06, 2010, 11:57:50 PM »
So why not get something more comfortable...? :dunno:

Good question!  I've considered getting a more comfortable bike, probably something in the sv/vfr flavor, but there's no way I could sell mine for enough money to justify it.  Seat-wise, there are or have been 2 aftermarket seats which are supposed to be very comfortable, but they're formed to position the rider toward the rear of the seat, something that obviously won't work for me.  I've considered giving one of my spare seats to my friend's dad to rework, since he's been doing upholstery for many years, but I just don't know if we could make anything useable on the stock pan.
RIP KYOTA