Author Topic: Motorcycle Riders  (Read 127811 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle Riders
« Reply #390 on: Apr 18, 2009, 10:01:06 PM »
Please refrain from using the term "jug". It makes you look severely ignorant and as a (former) motorcycle mechanic I want to slap you. The proper term is cylinder.

All the old crusty enduro guys I work on bikes with use the term "jug"  :dunno: I have always used that term and I have never gotten a wayward glance from anyone. I always use "jug" for 2-stroke and "cylinder" for 4-stroke. Just the way I was brought up.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: Apr 18, 2009, 10:04:53 PM »
Me an mah moterbik pals refer to em as jugs  :gap:  Seriously though, I likes callin em jugs  :haha:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #392 on: Apr 18, 2009, 10:10:42 PM »
I believe jug comes from air-cooled airplane cylinders on the large rotary engines.  

Then it was applied to air-cooled cylinders in general.

So if it's an air-cooled bike cylinder,  jug should be acceptable
:yesnod: it is indeed.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #393 on: Apr 18, 2009, 10:13:08 PM »
well down here, where the civilized people live it's a cylinder and nothing else. Harley guys included.

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: Apr 18, 2009, 10:19:17 PM »
well down here, where the civilized people live it's a cylinder and nothing else. Harley guys included.

So I am uncivilized now? :gap:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #395 on: Apr 18, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
:yupyup:

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #396 on: Apr 18, 2009, 10:21:59 PM »

What about fat harley guys and their man-jugs?

:cheese:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #397 on: Apr 18, 2009, 10:27:04 PM »
What about fat harley guys and their man-jugs?

:cheese:
well if they are encased in a bra or bikini it's acceptable to refer to them as such. Anything flapping in the wind and/or encased within blackened cowhide not falling within the restrictions previously set forth are referred to as "tits".

Hope that clears it up. :thumbs:

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: Apr 19, 2009, 04:12:41 PM »
You guys are crackin' me up.  :rofl:

Back in the '60s it was common to hear "Jugs and Buckets" when referring to cylinders and pistons.  Nowadays it is more common to hear them referred to in their real names but it is not out of the ordinary for a customer to ask about jugs 'n buckets for their old Hawg or even an early enduro. 

Personally, I could care less what they call them as long as they pay me for my work...  :yesnod:
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #399 on: Apr 20, 2009, 09:52:27 PM »
So i finally got around to tearing apart the 1986 TT225 i bought for $100 when my buddy needed money. teh condition was unknown, it didnt run and needed some basic work that would just cost some money. Today we pulled it apart to find a few things, first: the cam bushing is gone so it allowed the bike to jump time and severley bend teh exhaust valve, second: its bored 50 over. But the jug has a ridgeline in it so it will either need to be bored to 60 over or i need to find a stock jug to bore out to match teh 50 over piston as well as a new head since yamaha wants ~$160 for a cam and bushing which is another $20 and then new valves form Cycle Salvage will be about $50. So hopefully ill be able to eBay the head and jug from a stock bike and get it matched to mine. or else return bike to stock bore.

also, does anyone know if you can still legalize a bike for onroad use? or take out of state re-register as legal for street, then import back to CA?
well im gonna just scrap this thing. its gonna end up costng me more money than its really worth.

So, iv been doin some thinkin lately and i think im gonna work this summer with the goal of buying a dual sport. honestly, more of a dirtbike that just happens to be road legal. :greengrin: lookin for probably a 450 so i can jump on the freeway with it without worrying about if im gonna make it...any suggestions?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #400 on: Apr 20, 2009, 10:28:42 PM »
XL600. easy to work on. TONS of aftermarket support. buttload of power. will run forever.
DR-Z400. decent bike. good aftermarket support. newer technology than the XL. little more maintenance.
or maybe a KTM. :greengrin:

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #401 on: Apr 20, 2009, 10:57:35 PM »
XL600. easy to work on. TONS of aftermarket support. buttload of power. will run forever.
DR-Z400. decent bike. good aftermarket support. newer technology than the XL. little more maintenance.
or maybe a KTM. :greengrin:
i was looking mainly at KTM's becaause of the style of the bike. more offroad oriented than on. i also saw some goodlookin Aprilia 450's at the yamaha dealership :eyebrow:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #402 on: Apr 20, 2009, 11:02:32 PM »
bankroll+maintenance=???

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: Apr 20, 2009, 11:04:01 PM »
Definately a ktm or drz for a more dirt oriented bike  :thumbs:  The aprilias are neat, but they're coin and I'm not sure if they've been out long enough to work out the bugs.  BMW has some very interesting dirt bikes out now  :wink2:
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2009, 11:42:48 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #404 on: Apr 20, 2009, 11:12:23 PM »
bankroll+maintenance=???
MSRP looks to be about $8600...
Definately a ktm or drz for a more dirt oriented bike  :thumbs:  The aprilias are neat, but they're coin and I'm not sure if they've been out long enough to work out the bugs.  BMW has some very interesting dirt bikes out now  :wink:
yea thats kinda what i was thinkin too... oh well...i can dream huh?

but seriously, im lookin towards KTM's. need to go into Fator's and see wht they run and such. well technically first, sell something worth at least $500

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: Jun 09, 2009, 11:44:15 PM »
Anybody wanna lend me $5700?  http://redding.craigslist.org/mcy/1213622193.html  I don't know why this link isn't clickable, this seems to be happening any time I copy/paste an address lately  :headscratch:

2008 DRZ 400SM SUPERMOTO. PERFECT CONDITION. REAR FENDER ELIMINATOR KIT, LED TAIL LIGHT, BAR END MIRRORS AND HAND GUARDS. BIKE COVER. ALWAYS GARAGED AND COVERED. 3800 MILES. NEVER OFF ROAD OR LAID DOWN. $5700 OBO. 243-4524 OR 262-7330
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #406 on: Jun 09, 2009, 11:52:48 PM »
what do they retail for new nate?

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: Jun 10, 2009, 12:07:48 AM »
I'd say around $8,000, but lemme check it out...
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #408 on: Jun 10, 2009, 12:14:09 AM »
6700 msrp fir an 009

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: Jun 10, 2009, 12:17:31 AM »
$6200 for an 08 new  :yikes:  I'd say he's asking at least $1,000 too much then!  
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #410 on: Jun 10, 2009, 12:18:38 AM »
$6200  :yikes:  I'd say he's asking at least $1,000 too much then! 
yea...thats was kinda what i was thinkin...thast pretty overpriced. im betting you could probably find an 09 on the lot for around 6000 even and then give a shot at talkin them down some from therer... :dunno:

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: Jun 10, 2009, 12:21:48 AM »
I'd have to ride one before making this big a decision, but if I could swing one new for that price I'd seriously look into it if I could sell the other 3 bikes and come up with enough!
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #412 on: Jun 10, 2009, 12:23:06 AM »
what are your 3 other bikes?

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: Jun 10, 2009, 12:44:12 AM »
My bike I've had since about 02, an 01 honda f4i (cbr600), another 01 f4i I snagged to make into a track bike but never finished, and a 2000 honda vfr800 sans bodywork, which I bought after a guy took a quick spill and have never gone much further than cleaning out the engine and replacing the broken parts.

I'd probably be lucky to get $3000 for the street f4i if I cleaned it up really well and shot a fresh coat of paint, then could maybe pull another $1500 out of each of the other bikes if I parted them out, but that usually takes quite a while. 
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #415 on: Jun 10, 2009, 07:34:39 PM »
i'm surprised to see so many bikes for sale right now. Normally everyone offs them when it starts to rain again.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: Jun 10, 2009, 07:44:08 PM »
Probably a combo of peolpe getting 09s and bad economy.
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #417 on: Jun 10, 2009, 09:15:06 PM »
Probably a combo of peolpe getting 09s and bad economy.
09? christ i'd be happy with an 89 :gap:

yeah you're probably right though.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: Jun 10, 2009, 10:03:25 PM »
:haha:  I know the feeling man!  Only reason I ever got a bike that was a year old was cause it was wrecked and I got it super cheap.  How I fell on another 01 and 00 so cheap I couldn't tell you  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #419 on: Jun 10, 2009, 10:21:58 PM »
09? christ i'd be happy with an 89 :gap:

yeah you're probably right though.
speakin of 89s i should be picking up an 89 CR250 soon. well as soon as i can save up about $600 itll need a new piston and rings but its not fully blown up right now so thatll get me by for awhile anyways. i gave up on the idea of a new bike or even having a street legal bike. its just not worth making payments for the rest of my life right now. so ill stick wtih a dirtbike that i can rip on.