Author Topic: Motorcycle Riders  (Read 127784 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle Riders
« Reply #120 on: Apr 05, 2008, 01:38:17 PM »
I can't quite tell if this is a hardley engine or not, but I really like street fighters and this opitomizes the idear!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #121 on: Apr 05, 2008, 03:27:37 PM »
hmm. well i like the look, reminda me of a Buell.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Apr 05, 2008, 08:08:18 PM »
I can't quite tell if this is a hardley engine or not, but I really like street fighters and this opitomizes the idear!
Oh yes - and how!  That should be an XR.  Like a Sportster (XL), but made for flat track.  Or at least it has an XR top end...I don't know them well enough to pick out any details, but the fact that each head has an inlet port at the rear (right side) and exhaust port at the front (visible on the left side) gives it away.  Regular Sportsters have inlet ports between the heads, sharing a single carburetor, and exhaust ports at the rear of the rear head and front of the front head.  Kinda interesting.  I would like to know more about that bike.

It's time I got back on two wheels again.  Been too long.  I think last time I rode something it was my old boss's Honda CX500 about five years ago.  Weird, but interesting.  Other than the boss's kids' XR50R that I managed to wreck in their backyard last summer...beer was involved...and a good time was had by all.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Apr 05, 2008, 09:38:39 PM »
Oh yes - and how! 

Thanks for ruining it for me  :down:

It's time I got back on two wheels again.  Been too long.  I think last time I rode something it was my old boss's Honda CX500 about five years ago.  Weird, but interesting.  Other than the boss's kids' XR50R that I managed to wreck in their backyard last summer...beer was involved...and a good time was had by all.

I didn't think out gene pool was that shallow  :shake:  My boss has a cx500 too, and if you didn't actually see it riding away you'd think it was a bigger bike, has a very good v-twin sound for such a little engine.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Apr 05, 2008, 10:13:13 PM »
hmm. well i like the look, reminda me of a Buell.

This bike kills me...
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #125 on: Apr 05, 2008, 10:20:34 PM »
your not the only one
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: Apr 05, 2008, 10:35:48 PM »
Buells confuse nate  :headscratch:
RIP KYOTA

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #127 on: Apr 05, 2008, 10:37:36 PM »
why
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Apr 05, 2008, 10:43:56 PM »
Cause I just don't understand what erik's going for  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #129 on: Apr 05, 2008, 10:44:28 PM »
????
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Apr 05, 2008, 10:49:38 PM »
Cause I just don't understand what erik's going for  :dunno:

Erik Buell?

Seems to me he wanted to compete with Ducati. I like some of the engineering on his bikes...even though they are harleys.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Apr 05, 2008, 10:59:08 PM »
1st one is my bike, a little scraped up  :_oops: , second pic is the same model as one of my other bikes I was hoping to set up as a street fighter but lost interest (and may have a buyer), third pic is a bike I'd like to buy if I found one that clean, 4th pic is a bike most of you will never see, a bike that's so bitchin we never got them here :shake: , and last pic is a bike I got from ffc (same model as my daily rider, actually built within a month of mine) with the intent of making a track only bike, just haven't worked on it very much.
RIP KYOTA

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Apr 06, 2008, 12:38:14 AM »
Bigmike - The Honda Hawk is a sweet ride.  One of my all-time favorite Hondas.  I've ridden them quite a few times and even got to throw down some laps on one.  They flick real nice through the twisties and are narrower than the those cursed inline fours so the lean angles are awesome without being stupid tall.  Nate mentioned they are down on HP but they make up for it in torque.  The Hawk is also better at sliding than a four cyl so it isn't as twitchy when you start drifting.

Nate - te51levin is right.  That is a Harley Davidson XR750 or possibly an XR1000 motor in a dirt track frame with some short forks and street wheels.  Could be they were going for the street fighter look but the rake looks pretty short to me.  Might wobble like a grocery cart...

CX 500s are pigs.  They might hold up well and run forever but what a turd!!!

Nate - The only way you'll find a 900RR that is clean is to find one still in the box.  The rest of them have already slid down the track on their side too many times to be considered clean.  Cool bikes if you can find one.

The RVF400 is cool but I'd like to have a Yamaha RZV500.  I rode one a bit back in the day and it was simply the most amazing bike I had ever done laps on.  I've never understood why they didn't bring 'em to the US...

Got out one of my old dirt trackers the other day.  Man it has been way too long since I've ripped a few laps.  I was sorta scarin' my self a bit but it came back fast and I think I'm ready to start ridin' again.  My shoulder hasn't given me trouble in a few months so maybe it's time.
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Apr 06, 2008, 02:39:22 PM »
Only bikes I've ridden on the track were my old 93 f2 and my f4i.  The f2 cornered well enough, but with 76 hp you weren't going to pull on anything except a 125 on the straights, but it sure was fun lapping newer r6s on it though!  The f4i is better on the track and doesn't drag as many parts, but it's still a little unnerving dragging the mid-pipe coming down the cork screw at thunderhill  :ack:  Not half as bad as dragging the kick stand stop tab through turn 8 on the f2, that was loud  :yikes:

Bikes I really want to ride on the track are a liter bike (with my size a honda 954 would be ideal), either a ducati 748/749 or 996+, and I'd like to ride a well prepped sv650 and rc51.  I've seen several hawks at the track, and the best looking one was very heavily modified and sporting rc51 bodywork   :bling:
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Apr 06, 2008, 02:44:16 PM »
Nate - te51levin is right.  That is a Harley Davidson XR750 or possibly an XR1000 motor in a dirt track frame with some short forks and street wheels.  Could be they were going for the street fighter look but the rake looks pretty short to me.  Might wobble like a grocery cart...

Notice it's on a swingarm stand though, so coupled with the camera angle, the angle is exagerated.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: Apr 06, 2008, 02:51:22 PM »
Nate - The only way you'll find a 900RR that is clean is to find one still in the box.  The rest of them have already slid down the track on their side too many times to be considered clean.  Cool bikes if you can find one.

That's now my new goal!  I got that pic from an ebay auction a year or two ago and am going to keep an eye out there.  Can't remember what year it is, but I know it's in the 96-98 range.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Apr 06, 2008, 07:29:20 PM »
I'm thinking of painting one of the f4i's like this, but my paint is more of a cobalt blue.
RIP KYOTA

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Apr 06, 2008, 08:28:45 PM »
:drool: So sexy... I think I need a towel

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Apr 06, 2008, 09:25:34 PM »
:funny:

Got to ride a friends Duc a few years ago and it was smooth enough to fool me into entering a couple turns faster than I wanted to.  Lucky for me it stuck and I was able to make the turns.  That is one of those bikes that you'd have to get used to.  After I told my friend what happened he giggled and told me you have to forget everything you know from riding a Jap bike and start over...  I said thanks but no thanks!!!
'88 X-cab, V6

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Apr 06, 2008, 10:27:36 PM »
They are a different breed, but I've heard that about v-twins versus inline fours in general.  I know it sounds weak, but I can do the majority of thunderhill in 3rd gear on the f4i.  I used to waste time and energy shifting down to 2nd for a few turns and it'd bite me in the ass when I'd hit the rev limiter between turns 1 and 2, but it happened late enough that by the time 3rd engaged I'd be downshifting to 2nd again.  It also made the front end light coming over the hill in turn 9, but all that went away when I started leaving it in 3rd.  Probably the hardest turn to do in 3rd is the corkscrew, but you really don't want to come down the hill revving too high (I've seen an instructor dump it there from doing that) so it works out ok.  I can't come out of the corners as hard, but so often I was shifting as I was getting upright anyway. 

Damn, I haven't been on the track in waaaaay too long now.  A friend mentioned one in june and one in august.  One is in reno, and it's very tempting since I haven't ridden there before.  I'd really like to get the track bike done by then  :crossed:
RIP KYOTA

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Apr 06, 2008, 11:30:14 PM »
I'd like to get you on an old school dirt tracker for a day.  You'd probably get one heck of an education...

Either that or you'd bust your butt and never want to see a dirt oval again.
'88 X-cab, V6

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Apr 06, 2008, 11:37:07 PM »

Damn, I haven't been on the track in waaaaay too long now.  A friend mentioned one in june and one in august.  One is in reno, and it's very tempting since I haven't ridden there before.  I'd really like to get the track bike done by then  :crossed:

:thumbs: come on over!  You can crash at my place.  It'd be sweet to come out to a track day and see what all the fuss is about.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #142 on: Apr 07, 2008, 12:21:25 PM »
Wow guys, great discussions going on here :thumbs:

Nate, can you give me some more examples of a "street fighter" look? I really like it

Thanks
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Apr 07, 2008, 01:22:27 PM »
Street Fighters are basically stripped down custom built bikes...  Here, easier to show you than to explain...  Here is a popular example and there are many more examples to be found there.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3881
'88 X-cab, V6

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: Apr 07, 2008, 05:26:50 PM »
Dang, I thought I had more!  Oh well, this is an old hurricane (late 80s honda cbr600) that I saw on ebay and kinda dug it.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Apr 07, 2008, 09:38:15 PM »
Just a few.  There's a place out of reno called streetfighter something or other.  The dude is straight up british, thick accent and all.  I bought an undertail off ebay, it came with clear lights instead of the reds I ordered, and they referred me to that guy. 
RIP KYOTA

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Apr 07, 2008, 09:48:39 PM »
ah I have to finish my r6

Nice fighter pics nate.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Apr 07, 2008, 10:05:25 PM »
Get on it boy  :whip:  posting these pics makes me wanna stop trying to sell my vfr and finish working on it and make it a streetfighter...
RIP KYOTA

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Apr 08, 2008, 12:32:27 AM »
I like dirt trackin' so much that I've been thinkin' about a super motard style machine.  The KTM Duke would be cool or maybe an MZ Mastiff 660.  Not as flat out fast as a full on fighter but super quick in the tight stuff and capable of doin' dirt roads. 

What do the fighters weigh? 
'88 X-cab, V6

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile