Author Topic: Motorcycle Riders  (Read 127786 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle Riders
« Reply #150 on: Apr 08, 2008, 04:08:56 PM »
Sadly, you don't lose a ton of weight, but you still should be able to lose 10-20 pounds depending on how you set yours up.  If I were to do it, I'd look into making my own subframe, just big enough to hold the battery, rear seat and some small tail lights.  Lots of stock headlights are kinda heavy, so if you use something small and light you'll lose some weight there.  If I did it with the vfr I'd like to get it on a scale, then have a full dress vfr weighed too.

Oh, and hammerhead, nathan doesn't need to get any more comfortable sliding on the street :nono:   I've worked far too hard to overcome that sickness  :shudder:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Apr 08, 2008, 10:04:04 PM »
Oh, and hammerhead, nathan doesn't need to get any more comfortable sliding on the street :nono:   I've worked far too hard to overcome that sickness  :shudder:
:rofl2:
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Apr 08, 2008, 10:25:17 PM »
Note the body damage on the black and silver f4i?  Look at the tank.... I found out the hard way that bikes don't like sliding down the road after a high side  :shudder:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: Apr 08, 2008, 10:42:55 PM »
High siding sucks...  See this mangled collar bone?  Big lumpy collar bone twice broken...  OUCH!  Made a mess of the bike too.  That is when I learned to hate all the body panels and related parts.  Stripped it down and tossed some clip-ons and rear-sets at it.  Much better after that.  Oh, and some case sliders too.  Didn't want to have to replace the crankcase covers again...

'88 X-cab, V6

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Apr 08, 2008, 11:25:10 PM »
I've been lucky with the covers, bike's been down 3 times without breaking one.  Yup, I flipped over and landed on the back of my shoulder and WISH I'd broken my collar bone.  Instead I just broke something free in the center of my chest (cartlidge *sp* maybe) and it clicked for months, and each time it clicked I'd get nauseas and feel light headed.  Docs were no help either.  Atleast when I went down the first time (lowsided at 80-90 on the street, bike end-over-ended for 40 yards) I legitemately broke my thumb and leg.
RIP KYOTA

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Apr 09, 2008, 08:55:33 AM »
I'm with you on that man.  I'd take an outright broken bone anyday over something like a torn loose rib that can't really be treated.  I popped one loose at the sternum and it took forever to heal.  Another one that was absolutely NO FUN was when I got out in the marbles at the Wichita ¼ mile oval.  I lost traction bad enough that I drifted out into the grass and low-sided.  Normally that wouldn't be a big deal but for some reason I was so relaxed that when my butt hit the ground my left hip came up inside my rib cage and broke my 2 lower ribs on that side.  They were pushed out so bad you could see the bump with my leathers on.  I jumped up, grabbed the bike to rejoin the race and promptly went right back to the ground unable to breath.  My crew had to wheel me off the track using my bike for a gurney...  Worse than not being able to breath was watching the rest of the seasons points going to someone else.
'88 X-cab, V6

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Apr 09, 2008, 09:13:29 AM »
I'm with you on that man.  I'd take an outright broken bone anyday over something like a torn loose rib that can't really be treated.  I popped one loose at the sternum and it took forever to heal.  Another one that was absolutely NO FUN was when I got out in the marbles at the Wichita ¼ mile oval.  I lost traction bad enough that I drifted out into the grass and low-sided.  Normally that wouldn't be a big deal but for some reason I was so relaxed that when my butt hit the ground my left hip came up inside my rib cage and broke my 2 lower ribs on that side.  They were pushed out so bad you could see the bump with my leathers on.  I jumped up, grabbed the bike to rejoin the race and promptly went right back to the ground unable to breath.  My crew had to wheel me off the track using my bike for a gurney...  Worse than not being able to breath was watching the rest of the seasons points going to someone else.

Damn thats gotta hurt. How was the bike? lol.
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Apr 09, 2008, 09:32:53 AM »
That's part of what makes it so funny now lookin' back (it wasn't funny at the time).  The bike was untouched!  It went down so softly in the grass that I didn't even bend a handlebar or break a lever.  My crew picked the grass out of it and it was ready to go.  Too bad I wasn't...
'88 X-cab, V6

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Apr 19, 2008, 07:52:23 AM »
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Apr 19, 2008, 09:15:16 AM »
:haha:  Ed found that pic a long time ago and I've wanted to go to the park in full leathers and do that one day.
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Apr 19, 2008, 10:21:05 AM »
Have someone there with a camera...  or people might think you're strange.    :bud:

eh, they just might anyway!!   :disturbed:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Apr 19, 2008, 10:26:19 AM »
 :haha:

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: Apr 19, 2008, 05:21:33 PM »
If they know me at all they'll know, if they see me, well, they'll know soon enough  :bolt:

:haha:  I love that first pic!  I really really wanna do a track day with rain race tires, with the full intent on crashing.  Not that I'd try and crash, but I just REALLY want to find out just how far I can push it before I go SPLAT!
RIP KYOTA

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Apr 24, 2008, 10:18:15 AM »
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2008, 05:36:46 PM »
well i gotta start savin my money to find a bike. i have to more hours of Driver Training to complete and then i can go and get my bike permit. but my parents are gonna make me pay for it alone...weak. they bought my bro a bike. :dunno:

so the question is: what kinda bike should i look at getting (reliable, freeway speeds, lightish, etc...) ive got a few years experience on dirt bikes and quads so it doesnt have to be a ninja 250...
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2008, 05:39:50 PM »
i like my xr650 freeway capable and fun off road
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2008, 05:41:36 PM »
well i gotta start savin my money to find a bike. i have to more hours of Driver Training to complete and then i can go and get my bike permit. but my parents are gonna make me pay for it alone...weak. they bought my bro a bike. :dunno:

so the question is: what kinda bike should i look at getting (reliable, freeway speeds, lightish, etc...) ive got a few years experience on dirt bikes and quads so it doesnt have to be a ninja 250...

R6

:woohoo:

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2008, 05:44:29 PM »
i like my xr650 freeway capable and fun off road
yea, im likin an enduro of some kind, but my mom told me that i have to get an on-road only bike. i have no idea why... i can probly convince her out of it.... im gonna start searching craigslist and see what i find for cheap, which is what i need, even though they dropped 8k on a bike for my bro.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2008, 05:44:52 PM »

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2008, 06:49:09 PM »
yea, im likin an enduro of some kind, but my mom told me that i have to get an on-road only bike. i have no idea why... i can probly convince her out of it.... im gonna start searching craigslist and see what i find for cheap, which is what i need, even though they dropped 8k on a bike for my bro.

Ahh entitlement...it's like motorcycle welfare.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2008, 08:15:54 PM »
so the question is: what kinda bike should i look at getting (reliable, freeway speeds, lightish, etc...) ive got a few years experience on dirt bikes and quads so it SHOULD STILL BE A ninja 250... :thumbs:

Fixed it for you!  Any experience you have on dirt is almost a curse on the street, no matter how good you are off road.  Swallow your pride, get a ninja 250.  I'll say it as many times as I have to, because I've seen a :pokinit: ton of "fast dirt guys" splatter themselves on a bigger bike;  You WANT to start small, you NEED to start small! 

Nothing further hinders your ability to get a good grasp on street riding than having too much power come up and bite you in the ass when you least expect it!  A ninja 250 will have enough power to get you around just fine, but when you make that little bobble it won't be so quick to ditch you.

You're gonna get what you wanna get, but most guys won't swallow their pride and get a little bike.  I just very, very strongly suggest you allow yourself to hone your skills on a smaller bike before getting something bigger.  It'll be an easier pitch to your parents, and possibly easier to get them to help you purchase a bigger one later when you can prove your responsibility with your little ninja  :twocents:
RIP KYOTA

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2008, 08:19:12 PM »
I would gladly ride a ninja 250 if my parents got one for me. Cheap on gas, looks cool(ish), and still fun to ride. Only thing I would not like about it is all the crap I would have to take cuz I ride a ninja 250, haha. My little tw200 was my dd for a year before I got my car lisence, and although it was slow and ugly, it was still fun and got good milage.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2008, 09:06:46 PM »
Fixed it for you!  Any experience you have on dirt is almost a curse on the street, no matter how good you are off road.  Swallow your pride, get a ninja 250.  I'll say it as many times as I have to, because I've seen a :pokinit: ton of "fast dirt guys" splatter themselves on a bigger bike;  You WANT to start small, you NEED to start small! 

Nothing further hinders your ability to get a good grasp on street riding than having too much power come up and bite you in the ass when you least expect it!  A ninja 250 will have enough power to get you around just fine, but when you make that little bobble it won't be so quick to ditch you.

You're gonna get what you wanna get, but most guys won't swallow their pride and get a little bike.  I just very, very strongly suggest you allow yourself to hone your skills on a smaller bike before getting something bigger.  It'll be an easier pitch to your parents, and possibly easier to get them to help you purchase a bigger one later when you can prove your responsibility with your little ninja  :twocents:
honestly i would have no problem riding a ninja 250,someone says something "whats that you drive? yea, i thought so  flopp YOU!" the only thing i think is that when i can get driving on the freeway it wont be much...

do you have to hold the motorcycle permit for 6 months?

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2008, 09:22:57 PM »
the only thing i think is that when i can get driving on the freeway it wont be much...

Nope, it'll do just fine on the freeway!  I'm not sure about the permit thing, I got mine after I was 21 so I didn't have to do the permit thing.  I found you one :gap: , I guarentee she probably tipped it over standing still or at low speed and got scared  http://redding.craigslist.org/mcy/677972048.html
RIP KYOTA

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2008, 09:25:17 PM »
honestly i would have no problem riding a ninja 250,someone says something "whats that you drive? yea, i thought so  flopp YOU!" the only thing i think is that when i can get driving on the freeway it wont be much...

do you have to hold the motorcycle permit for 6 months?

as far as i know you dont. i had mine for i think 5 months. it was over the winter and i was in weed, so it was bad weather.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2008, 09:25:46 PM »
you do need to do the motorcycle class
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2008, 09:29:44 PM »
yea.i have a friend who took the class last week i think it was, he said it was cake and youd have to be retarded not to pass....he said hes had his for about a month, but if you take that class teh nits really raelly simple to get your license for it, but you do have to be 16, which im not.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2008, 09:41:44 PM »
And I just found this  http://redding.craigslist.org/bar/678377990.html  I'm hoping he doesn't want too much, considering he does know the work it needs is labor intensive  :crossed:  I haven't had a dirt bike in a looooong time, not counting the xr75's, and would look forward to doing the work on this one to get it running.
RIP KYOTA

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2008, 09:45:28 PM »
That Ninja doesn't look too bad NCT

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #179 on: May 13, 2008, 11:50:54 AM »
looks clean enough...still negitating on the bike though with the parents.