Author Topic: Motorcycle Riders  (Read 127785 times)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle Riders
« Reply #60 on: Aug 16, 2007, 02:59:24 PM »
I am actually surprised at how many people move to the far side of the lane to provide me with ample room to split. I have NEVER had any one close the lane in front of me, rather its the other way around.

Wait until you get that ONE person that hates bikes and purposely pulls out in front of you when u split a lane. We all know they are out there  :thumbdown:  :nonono:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #61 on: Aug 16, 2007, 03:48:22 PM »
You are right and I am waiting and always prepared. I already have a stereotype that most people dislike the legal act of lane splitting, so I naturally expect everyone to cut out and block the road.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Aug 16, 2007, 04:51:29 PM »
Is this only legal in California? I hadn't heard of it until I read this thread. I can almost guarantee it is illegal here in WY.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2007, 04:58:04 PM by KDXSR5 »

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Aug 16, 2007, 04:52:56 PM »
Is this only legal in California? I hadn't heard of it until I read this thread.
not legal here (MO). no way
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Aug 16, 2007, 05:15:13 PM »
Lane splitting does not take big balls.  I don't consider myself crazy or anything, but I split trucks and UPS and traffic all over the place, while moving or stopped.  I was splitting traffic on my 3rd day of riding a motorcycle,  with less than 50 miles under the belt.  Not too bad, in my opinion.

Split cars on the freeway, split cars at lights, split cars just riding along.  You can even safely split on a 2 way road down the middle.

Maybe the fact that my bike is so skinny helps.

Some folks don't like being split.  I'm sorry that they have a little d***.  Grow up.  A bike ahead of you in traffic will not slow you down.

Lots of times, especially on the freeway during rush hour, cars in the left lane will get over quite far to let me by.  I always wave thanks.

Also - it's important to not be a jerk yourself and rev it up as you split.  That's not nice.  I never do that.  But then again, with my weak exhaust, it wouldn't even register as much as a "real" bike.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Aug 16, 2007, 06:29:11 PM »
You know, I remember when I was first riding (just two years ago!). I was in the left lane of a double-left-turn intersection, and there was a line of about 10 autos in both turning lanes ahead of me. I remember thinking.......... ohhhh man, can I do it? can I do it? will I hit someone's mirror? And then just while I was looking ahead trying to guess how much space I had, a huge chopper with super tall handle bars just blasted right by me and went all the way to the front of the line. This guy was basically laying on his back and his arms were way up in the air. It surprised the hell out of me and made me realize how retarded I am for not going. He is many many times worse than me: In his sitting position and huge handle bars, there is no way he could maneuver someone's door being opened, etc.

After that I started lane splitting and haven't stopped since. :best: :best: :best:

Is this only legal in California? I hadn't heard of it until I read this thread. I can almost guarantee it is illegal here in WY.

Wow, if this is true, and if I ever ride cross states, I will be the first to get a ticket for lane splitting.  :headshake: :headshake:

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Aug 16, 2007, 07:13:21 PM »
Wow, if this is true, and if I ever ride cross states, I will be the first to get a ticket for lane splitting.  :headshake: :headshake:

X100.  Once you do it, you never go back.  Went for a ride with my buddy up here in OR, and he stayed behind the cars.  I tried.  2 seconds later I hit it.  Sorry.

"I can't stop now." <- in George Castansa's voice.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Aug 16, 2007, 07:15:47 PM »
X100.  Once you do it, you never go back.  Went for a ride with my buddy up here in OR, and he stayed behind the cars.  I tried.  2 seconds later I hit it.  Sorry.

try it around here and i can almost guarantee u will be hit...there are some really dumb drivers and people DONT put up with that kinda stuff. they WILL pull out in front of you.
RIP KYOTA

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Aug 16, 2007, 07:42:14 PM »
try it around here and i can almost guarantee u will be hit...there are some really dumb drivers and people DONT put up with that kinda stuff. they WILL pull out in front of you.
DirtToy, you know where I'm from?  The capitol for retarded drivers - the SF bay area, Walnut Creek to San Ramon specifically.  Ask anyone who lives in that area how people drive.  Either stupid or psycho.  Nothing but huge SUVs with soccer moms yapping on a phone everywhere.  Then add the thuglife clowns.  It's a fun mix to deal with on a bike.

I have not had someone try and hit me on purpose yet.  (BTW-that's justification for a response with deadly force IE:"aim at the driver, not the vehicle" kinda thing)

I have had a few instances of folks not paying attention and getting into my lane.  Very close calls.  I've only lost my temper once and kicked a car with people in it, they had it comin.

While splitting cars at red lights it is common for the light to turn green midway.  When you still have 6 more cars to go, it sucks.  But you light it up and do your best, or fit in where you are.  There have been a couple of times where I had to slam on my brakes because someone did change lanes while I was coming up splitting.  If you do it safely and ride within your limits you should be able to react quickly.  Maybe some of the bigger bikes may be slower to react, so that could pose a problem.

No matter if you split or don't split - Many ways to die on a bike.  Ride carefully and hopefully ride long.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Aug 16, 2007, 10:06:57 PM »
This sounds very dangerous, and should be illegal.

Sorry, but that's a terribly ignorant statement!  You don't need to ride on the street, so please don't get on a streetbike!  It's legal and for good reason. 

Also, if memory serves it's attempted manslaughter or something like that if somebody opens their door into you or tries to take you out.  It's rare in the bay from what I've heard, but I've known people to have it happen to them right in front of a cop and the cops will absolutely light up the driver and write them up!  It's a very serious offense and not taken lightly.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Aug 16, 2007, 10:19:16 PM »

Once again, if they do that in cali they're in for some SERIOUS trouble!

:rofl2:  love the castansa reference! 

This may fall in the category of what I refer to as "the sickness".  It's when you start doing something on the bike and can't stop.  It first started out with me for cornering way too fast on the street.  Bit me on the ass hard and I slowed down on the street.  I found out soon after rebuilding the bike that I had a new sickness........ sliding under power.  Enter a corner, thingy the bike just right (I'm not devulging just how for legal reasons :wink: ) , roll on the power and slide the back end out.  It's fun and highly intoxicating.  I don't do it on purpose anymore :_oops:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Aug 16, 2007, 10:48:42 PM »
This is just a guess on my behalf, but I've always figured lane splitting is legal in order to prevent air cooled engines, like my GS500E, from over heating in bumper-to-bumper traffic. And if you have an air cooled bug or VW van, well, sucks to be you in a traffic jam!
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2007, 10:54:22 PM by BigMike »

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Aug 16, 2007, 11:17:55 PM »
i ride a built 1999 cr125 for the track and trails and a 1994 cr500 for the dunes i alway where the helmet and goggles and gloves every thing else just depends on where im riding how long im rideing and how stupid im getting
as kneedownnate sead the aria helmets are awsome the best helmet ive ever used ive got the custom thickness and density pads in mine so it fits perfect and its realy comfortable

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Aug 17, 2007, 12:22:05 AM »
as kneedownnate sead the aria helmets are awsome the best helmet ive ever used ive got the custom thickness and density pads in mine so it fits perfect and its realy comfortable

Got the cheek pads in mine so it fits right :thumbs:  People laugh when they see me kinda struggle to get it on and off, but if one saves my life again I'll welcome all the laughing I get!
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Aug 17, 2007, 05:55:50 AM »
This is just a guess on my behalf, but I've always figured lane splitting is legal in order to prevent air cooled engines, like my GS500E, from over heating in bumper-to-bumper traffic. And if you have an air cooled bug or VW van, well, sucks to be you in a traffic jam!
That's the reason I've always heard for it... :yesnod:

and many years ago when I had a VW bug, it just plain sucked -- but that's another story!   :ack:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Aug 17, 2007, 04:16:19 PM »
Sorry, but that's a terribly ignorant statement!  You don't need to ride on the street, so please don't get on a streetbike!  It's legal and for good reason. 

Also, if memory serves it's attempted manslaughter or something like that if somebody opens their door into you or tries to take you out.  It's rare in the bay from what I've heard, but I've known people to have it happen to them right in front of a cop and the cops will absolutely light up the driver and write them up!  It's a very serious offense and not taken lightly.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I should redo that statement. It should be illegal where I live. We have 500,000 people in the entire state, no traffic jams, and few intersections with more than one lane for each direction. It would be a very unsafe thing to do here, because there are a lot of drunk rednecks that would not be afraid to open the door on someone if they tried it. Hell, I heard a story the other day about a guy that was being passed by a rice burner going like 90, and he opened the door on the ricer! I believe it too. Also a while back, a semi driver passed a guy in a little Suzuki Samurai (or another one of those little vehicles), and the guy got pissed and pulled up next to the semi, and started shooting his pistol at him! That one was in the paper (I'll try to find it), so it is true, I am not sure about the other one though. sorry,  :offtopic:
If I grew up in a place that has a traffic jam everyday, then I bet I would agree with you. In that situation it should be totally legal, and if anyone did try to wreck you, they deserve a beatdown.  :_order:
I guess Wyoming is a totally different world than California. Also, I have already had a streetbike. And you are right, i don't need one, I didn't use it enough to justify keeping it around. Now I have more money for my yota!! :greengrin:

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Aug 17, 2007, 04:21:39 PM »
I agree with Kneedownnate - Addicted to drifts - Nothing makes the heart feel young like smokin' a corner with the feet on the pegs.
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Aug 17, 2007, 04:56:39 PM »
I'm sorry if I offended you. I should redo that statement. It should be illegal where I live. We have 500,000 people in the entire state, no traffic jams, and few intersections with more than one lane for each direction. It would be a very unsafe thing to do here, because there are a lot of drunk rednecks that would not be afraid to open the door on someone if they tried it. Hell, I heard a story the other day about a guy that was being passed by a rice burner going like 90, and he opened the door on the ricer! I believe it too. Also a while back, a semi driver passed a guy in a little Suzuki Samurai (or another one of those little vehicles), and the guy got pissed and pulled up next to the semi, and started shooting his pistol at him! That one was in the paper (I'll try to find it), so it is true, I am not sure about the other one though. sorry,  :offtopic:
If I grew up in a place that has a traffic jam everyday, then I bet I would agree with you. In that situation it should be totally legal, and if anyone did try to wreck you, they deserve a beatdown.  :_order:
I guess Wyoming is a totally different world than California. Also, I have already had a streetbike. And you are right, i don't need one, I didn't use it enough to justify keeping it around. Now I have more money for my yota!! :greengrin:

:yesnod:

Most of our intercity travel is done on at least 2 lanes each way, more often 4 lanes across each way.  Also, most of our bigger cities have a greater population than your entire state.  You are absolutely right, when you are sitting in traffic jams all the time, lane splitting is definitely the way to go :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Aug 17, 2007, 05:13:46 PM »

Also, most of our bigger cities have a greater population than your entire state.  You are absolutely right, when you are sitting in traffic jams all the time, lane splitting is definitely the way to go :thumbs:
I guess that is what I was trying to say with the population thing. Big state, few people, small ranch towns. Thats Wyoming. California is big state, lots of people, and big cities. I have only been in one traffic jam my entire life. I was on a school bus in Denver. IT SUCKED! :thumbdown: I wish buses were allowed to lane split! Any travel in WY is done on either I-25 (north-south middle of state) or I-80 (east-west bottom of state). Other than that it is all two lane country roads. Maybe I should plan a trip to California one of theses days just to see how different it is!

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Aug 17, 2007, 05:19:20 PM »
...I should plan a trip to California one of theses days just to see how different it is!
and put yourself through that mess on purpose?   :screwy:
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Aug 17, 2007, 06:38:14 PM »
Maybe I should plan a trip to California one of theses days just to see how different it is!
North of Sacramento isn't bad -- the further North, the better...  Go to SoCal if you really want to experience it, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  I've been down that way just a handful of times, and I hate it.  One thing for sure, you'd gain a new appreciation for Wyoming!    :twocents:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Aug 18, 2007, 12:43:47 AM »
Im picking up a 2001 r1 or a 2002 r6.  I cant wait.   Nate; I have been riding the :pokinit: out of my yzf600,  but I sold it, the shippers havent picked it up yet.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Aug 18, 2007, 01:04:00 AM »
Sweet, both good bikes and will ride totally different than the yzf :thumbs:  I can only assume you'll be painting whichever one you get? 
RIP KYOTA

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Aug 18, 2007, 01:17:24 AM »
oh yes ! ! You know it ! ! either black,yellow or orange..   Have you been riding lately?

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Aug 18, 2007, 10:46:03 AM »
:haha:  every day!  I ride to work almost every day, bike is running outside waiting for me to leave right now :burnout:
RIP KYOTA

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Aug 18, 2007, 01:27:14 PM »
I really want the r1 for the efi and inverted forks, but on the other hand the r6 would be alot better at keepin it down.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Aug 18, 2007, 09:15:38 PM »
I thought 01 r1s had carbs :headscratch:
RIP KYOTA

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Aug 26, 2007, 09:31:56 AM »
I thought 01 r1s had carbs :headscratch:
come to think of it I dont know either, anyways Im headed to Irvine to pick up my new 2002 r6, not really the place I want to be, but for 1400 Im not complaining, its set up as a street fighter so I will ride it like that for the rest of summer and collect all my 06 r6 plastics for it and paint them and by  next summer it will be pimpin,  Im working in reno-stead roofing so Im doin a little better in the extra cash area,  I will post pics when I get it..

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Aug 26, 2007, 10:21:31 AM »
:thumbs:  Good deal
RIP KYOTA

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Aug 26, 2007, 09:48:25 PM »
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3