Author Topic: 46&2's 85 4Runner Build-Up  (Read 269650 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: 46&2's 85 4Runner Build-Up
« Reply #30 on: Jun 02, 2007, 05:54:54 PM »
Update 6/2/07:

Got my drop box from Luke today, and its burley! He even threw on (as he put it) "the signature 4x4 Labs drop box bottle opener!"  :rofl2:

So I decided to clean up my used MC dual cases skidplate and the new drop box and paint em. I still dont have my second tcase but hopefully I will find one soon. Planning on doing the wagoneers/drop box/6" shackles this week when my buddy wade with the welder can give me a hand. The drop box is a two inch drop, the hangers are 3/4 inch steel and I think he told me he used 1" steel for the box itself. Looking at everything now, I hope those springs are as worn in as I think they are (coming from a truck on 53s) because the front of my truck is going to be signifigantly higher than it is now, and I think my 1" rear blocks arent going to be enough.  :yikes:

Wont be able to tell until we get there though, may end up working out perfectly.

85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jun 02, 2007, 05:58:07 PM »
Pics:

:biggthumpup:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jun 04, 2007, 10:28:57 PM »
Hey, I'm curious as to what you used for the double shackle setup. Forgive me if you posted it up already, but I'm wondering what the top shackle is. Neat trick! Good work on the buildup!  :beer:

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jun 05, 2007, 12:31:20 AM »
Thanks Jordan! For the double shackle I used a stock 4x4 chevy inverted shackle (from a 1988-1998 1/2 ton Chevy or GMC truck, also the doner for the 63 chevy springs) which I bolted to the origional rear hanger. From this I hung a "toyota" 6" shackle. If you are using 63" chevies and you have your forward spring hanger relocated at the proper spot (8.5" foreward of the old hanger, eye to eye) the stock chevy will lay flat against the frame and allow the springs and the 6" shackle to flex freely. Until it reaches a moment of extreme flex the shackle stays firm against the frame. only when really flexed does it start to drop down. If you look about half way down on the first page there is a few pictures of the dual shackles.

You dont have to use the stock chevy shackle though, you can use two regular shackles if you want. I just had the chevy shackles so I used em. If you have any more questions let me know! So far i have been stoked on my rear end, its working better than i could have imagined.  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2007, 12:37:24 AM by fortysixandtwo »

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jun 09, 2007, 08:24:41 PM »
Update 6/09/07:

The last two days I had my yota over at my friend Wade's house where we got the drop box, 44044s and 6" shackles put on. Big thanks to Wade and Kyle for their welding skills and Ben for his hand with torching off the stock spring hangers, saved us from a lot of sawzalling.  :thumbs:

Aside from having to go out of town to find bushings everything went great. Got the box welded on 1.5" foreward, increasing my wheel base a little bit. Now when I flex it doesnt rub the hell out of my fenders. Took it out last night to Greenhorn to test it out and its SO much nicer. Rides great too, springs are nice and soft.

Now I just have to figure out what to do out back. The front didnt end up sitting as high as I thought it was going to, but still sits a little raked. I dont want to do blocks, so I was thinking about doing a small subframe to hang my 63s from to even it up with the front and give the tires a little more room so they dont chew up my fenders so much.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jun 09, 2007, 09:05:12 PM »
Heres the pics from the install. We didnt want to take the bumper off because it would be a major PITA so we cut a segment out in the middle so we could lay a bead on top center. Otherwise its completely welded all the way around.

Hangers getting ready to go:

Tacked the new hanger on:

After a bunch of bushings that didnt want to come out I finally got all the new bushings in and bolted the springs up:

Here is my new shackle angle, overall I am happy with it. Seems like a pretty good angle.

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007, 10:19:31 PM by fortysixandtwo »

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jun 09, 2007, 09:17:45 PM »
Here are a few more:

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jun 10, 2007, 03:34:24 PM »
Waxed the pregnant dog, mmmm pretty  :love:

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jun 14, 2007, 12:24:55 PM »
Whoohoo! Marlin Crawler rear tube bumper and my new seals arrived yesterday! Great service, shipped it on tuesday arrived weds morning.  :greengrin:

Getting it all painted and ready to go on...I will post some pics when I get the bumper on later today.
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2007, 01:10:46 PM by fortysixandtwo »

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jun 14, 2007, 12:51:08 PM »
Putting a few coats on.....almost there  :eyebrow:

Here are my new heavy duty inner front seals, rear axle seals, and pinion seals. Time to tear apart the rear end.....

« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2007, 01:14:00 PM by fortysixandtwo »

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jun 14, 2007, 06:19:57 PM »
Putting a few coats on.....almost there  :eyebrow:

Here are my new Marlin Crawler heavy duty eco inner front seals, rear axle seals, and pinion seals.

Well, finally got my new bumper on. Had a few snags with little BS, like my IFS bumpstops being in the way of one of the bumper bolts.

« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2010, 01:01:04 AM by fortysixandtwo »

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jul 21, 2007, 06:14:11 PM »
Well I am pretty excited because I got an email from Tim Piele today of CRAWL magazine and they chose my truck for the Average Joe section of the Sept/Oct issue. Whooohoo!!  :hyper: :willynilly:

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jul 21, 2007, 06:37:34 PM »
awesome, can't wait to see it in the mag!

congrats!
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jul 21, 2007, 06:53:48 PM »
That's a really clean runner, nice rig.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jul 21, 2007, 09:07:50 PM »
Congrats on a clean Runner & the crawl mag  :thumbs:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Sep 11, 2007, 08:51:08 PM »
Well after a hard search I managed to find a copy of the latest issue of CRAWL magazine. Although they kind of screwed up my info I am happy with it. I am right across the page from UKMyers and his sweet 2nd gen runner. I told them I was going to either weld my rear end or get a detroit, and for some reason they put that my rear end is welded and I have an "Open!, detroit locked front end"   :headscratch:

Anyway, here it is....... :D

« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007, 10:12:23 PM by fortysixandtwo »

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sep 11, 2007, 08:56:13 PM »
niiice

:thumbs:
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sep 11, 2007, 09:14:04 PM »
Good lookin Runner. :thumbs:   BTW, I went to school about an hour from Grass Valley.   Downieville to be exact.
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sep 12, 2007, 02:45:47 PM »
I read the Crawl article but didn't realize it was your rig. :hammer: Looking good. :thumbs:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sep 14, 2007, 06:59:15 PM »
Thanks guys. I finally got some cash together so I ordered some stuff I have been wanting to get for a while. Decided to get a steering stabilizer for my high steer. Anyone have any opinions on how much it actually helps? My steering feels a little sloppy on washboard roads and could be a little tighter. $80 is pretty reasonable so I thought what the hell.

I also got some diff armor for my front axle, the knuckle ball kit, a fish scale which I have been needing for a while, and some 14 inch travel 5125s to replace the 10" front shocks. Hopefully this stuff will show up on monday. I wish I had been smart about it and ordered everything a few days back because I am so busy with school (I have to commute 100 miles a day to school on top of 4-8 hours of homework each day) I wont have any time to install this stuff until NEXT weekend....doh.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2007, 12:55:30 AM by fortysixandtwo »

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #50 on: Sep 18, 2007, 12:43:29 PM »
Thanks guys. I finally got some cash together so I ordered some stuff I have been wanting to get for a while. Decided to get a steering stabilizer for my high steer. Anyone have any opinions on how much it actually helps? My steering feels a little sloppy on washboard roads and could be a little tighter. $80 is pretty reasonable so I thought what the hell.

I also got some diff armor for my front axle, the knuckle ball kit, a fish scale which I have been needing for a while, and some 14 inch travel 5125s to replace the 10" front shocks. Hopefully this stuff will show up on monday. I wish I had been smart about it and ordered everything a few days back because I am so busy with school (I have to commute 100 miles a day to school on top of 4-8 hours of homework each day) I wont have any time to install this stuff until NEXT weekend....doh.

Im gettin' ants in my freakin' pants and I can't do anything about it!

My steering stabilizer didn't do much for me.  My death wobble is so bad that the only thing going to cure it is hydro assist :)   My tires are trashed and that has alot to do with it.  I'll bet that your SS will help with some of the bump steer you're feeling on the washboard roads.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sep 18, 2007, 06:50:23 PM »
My steering stabilizer didn't do much for me.  My death wobble is so bad that the only thing going to cure it is hydro assist :)   My tires are trashed and that has alot to do with it.  I'll bet that your SS will help with some of the bump steer you're feeling on the washboard roads.

I figured it wouldnt make that much of a difference. I dont have that bad of death wobble really. I was just looking for a little more resistance from the steering wheel, especially on washboard roads and pot hole-riddeled roads. We will see how it does. My truck also needs an alignment so after I get that, and the stabilizer on i will let you guys know how it works out.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2007, 12:56:53 AM by fortysixandtwo »

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sep 18, 2007, 06:56:10 PM »
UPS left me a few goodies today....  :clap:

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #53 on: Sep 18, 2007, 09:41:39 PM »
Nice!  I had to modify my Marlin knuckle gussets quite a bit to make them fit better.  Make sure you test fit them, you might have to trim them down and grind a bit.  The large diff armor is very nice, I've used both F&R armor several times  :greengrin:
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Sep 18, 2007, 09:50:39 PM »
Nice!  I had to modify my Marlin knuckle gussets quite a bit to make them fit better.  Make sure you test fit them, you might have to trim them down and grind a bit.  The large diff armor is very nice, I've used both F&R armor several times  :greengrin:

Yeah my buddy Wade who helps me out with all my welding did the knuckle gussets recently on his rig and he said the same thing. What mod isnt with out its own hitches though eh??  :biggthumpup:

Hopefuly we can start working on it this weekend but I may have to wait a week depending on how much homework I have this week. I should have ordered f&r armor but I saw some sick rear dif armor at school and I want to track down the owner of the rig and find out where he got it.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #55 on: Sep 19, 2007, 06:30:06 PM »
very nice lookin 85 46&2

and prayers to brandon and his family.
ive lost 4 close friends&family in the last 2 years.
i feel ya man.
thats horrible and i think an investigation is in order... that doesnt seem straight.

well good luck on your 85.
ill be doing one before too long.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

KidJethro

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sep 22, 2007, 01:47:55 PM »
Thats pretty funny....I was looking at all the pictures of you wheelin, and was thinkin, damn, I know everyone of those spots. I even know the spot up by the airport- great place for muddy donuts. :D Good to see another Grass Valley guy on here. I've been wheelin at greenhorn since you could drive a 2wd rig through the Notch at 45mph-

I'm 30 now. :D

Doof

• Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sep 22, 2007, 01:59:51 PM »
 :eye: :eye:   looking good  :biggthumpup:

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sep 22, 2007, 05:21:44 PM »
Thats pretty funny....I was looking at all the pictures of you wheelin, and was thinkin, damn, I know everyone of those spots. I even know the spot up by the airport- great place for muddy donuts. :D Good to see another Grass Valley guy on here. I've been wheelin at greenhorn since you could drive a 2wd rig through the Notch at 45mph-

I'm 30 now. :D

Hell yeah! I think you are probably the first fellow GV resident I have met here. Greenhorn might not be anything compared to fordyce or the rubicon but I have a lot of great memories out there and its still fun just to go mess around on the weekends. Do you ever go fart around out there anymore? Its always a blast when we get a good snowstorm.... :driving:

KidJethro

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sep 23, 2007, 02:21:11 PM »
I don't make it out there so much anymore...no functional rig at the moment. But I do know these guys-

They are out there quite a bit on the weekends messin around. I tag along now and then. :)

They actually did this to the buggy down there a couple weekends ago.

On the big rock at the top of the little rocky slop were everyone plays, right on the main riverbed part. I guess one of them tried to jump off that rock from the uphill/river side, and wasn't goin fast enough... :rofl2: :heavy: