Author Topic: 46&2's 85 4Runner Build-Up  (Read 269603 times)

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
Re: 46&2's 85 4Runner Build-Up
« Reply #150 on: Dec 18, 2007, 03:24:05 PM »
Thanks and nope, a lot of people have asked me this but I have never had that happen. In fact even on the trail the second shackle (the one tucked against the frame) rarely drops down. I have to get really flexed out for it to go into action. I was worried about inverting shackles at first but it has been over a year now and I havnt not had that happen. If you set the shackle angle right and place your chevy spring hanger in the right place it should prevent any unnecessary unloading except on the trail when you need it most. It really doenst act any different than a single shackle IMO (except when flexing like a madman).

thanks. I have those same stock Chevy shackles sitting in my garage. What did you use for those bumpstops on the frame?
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Dec 18, 2007, 04:29:16 PM »
I used a set of IFS bumstops from the front suspension of a stock toyota ifs truck. later though i swapped them with extended bumpstops in conjunction with an add a leaf for a little extra rear lift. you can probably find some ifs bumpstops at a local 4x4 shop usualy they keep them after sas swaps my friend has a big bin of them at his shop thats where i found mine.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Dec 18, 2007, 06:05:51 PM »
I used a set of IFS bumstops from the front suspension of a stock toyota ifs truck. later though i swapped them with extended bumpstops in conjunction with an add a leaf for a little extra rear lift. you can probably find some ifs bumpstops at a local 4x4 shop usualy they keep them after sas swaps my friend has a big bin of them at his shop thats where i found mine.

Ok thanks for the info. I have a whole IFS front end my buddy cut off of his truck and dumped it at my house. I can rob them off of there.

"bout tree fiddy"

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: Dec 24, 2007, 11:00:20 AM »
46, you were right, I got my highsteer done a few days ago. It is sick, I do need a steering stablizer though. But man way better than push pull. When you hit a bump the wheel doesn't jerk outta your hand. Just thought I would let ya know!
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Dec 24, 2007, 12:44:30 PM »
Right on man. High steer is still one of my favorite modifications I have done. The steering stabilizer did help stiffen the wheel up a little bit and eliminate extra slop. I thought it was worth the 80 bucks.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Jan 06, 2008, 07:42:48 PM »
Well snow has been pretty chump around here lately, not much worth writing about, last weekend I went on a little scenic run by some of the old mining diggins scattered through out the area. We knew there wasnt going to be much snow but the weather was nice and we just felt like checking out the scenery and screwing around.

It was mostly a stocker run, my buddy had the most equipped truck (green yota: 37s, exo, dual ultimates, F&R lockers, onboard air ect) and that made me the second most equipped truck, the rest of the group consisted of: 1 stock 85, one stock 87, one stock 92, and a gmc yukon with F&R posi and bald ass tires (amazing he never got stuck).

The stockers got stuck a number of times, i had to give em a push here and there. my buddy wade in the green truck got stuck once but it only took a minute or two of shovel work to get him out. anyway here are the pictures enjoy

Meeting up at the start of the trail:

For anyone who has never seen the scars of hydraulic mining, here are some pictures. I was standing on the edge of about a 300 foot cliff. the "valley" below is not actually a valley but where the hydraulic mining tore away the earth, cutting down over 300 feet into the ground. All those trees below were planted after the mining was over in the 1800s. they are about 100-150 foot tall trees. all the ground they grow on used to sit at level with where I was standing. The road we took was a very old mining road used for hundreds of years by horse buggies and carriages to ferry supplies from Nevada City to the mining camps. The evidence of mining is everywhere in northern california. It is not uncommon to find furnaces, old buggies ect scattered across the landscape. most are so old they are consider archeology artifacts are you can be fined severely for tampering with them. Its always a trip to find some 200 year old piece of mining equipment half burried in the forest.

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2009, 12:35:06 AM by fortysixandtwo »

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Jan 06, 2008, 07:49:41 PM »
Nasty mud hole. It was completely frozen over before Wade drove over it. at the end there is a ledge about 2 feet tall of solid ice.

Some deep drifts we found. Underneath was over a foot of solid ice from the last storm a few days earlier. there were tons of rock solid ice ruts from people 3 or 4 days before burried in about 2 feet of snow. Wade eventually got stuck after he tore through the powder and landed on the ice. didnt take much to get him out. 3 minutes later he was on his way.

Headed home...

Problem with red is that it doesnt show dirt and mud well!!

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Jan 06, 2008, 07:51:38 PM »
Looks fun! man I love finding mining equipment up in the hills/mountains!

"bout tree fiddy"

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Jan 06, 2008, 07:54:36 PM »

Yeah, its crazy to think about the life it led before it was abandoned in the forest. always makes me wonder

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Jan 06, 2008, 07:57:16 PM »
Those are some good pics. That white stuff looks weird, what do yall call it?
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Jan 06, 2008, 07:58:11 PM »
Those are some good pics. That white stuff looks weird, what do yall call it?

Columbia's finest  :eyecrazy:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Jan 06, 2008, 08:06:16 PM »
 :rofl2:  :funny:
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:39:14 AM »
 Awesome pics,  I love trails that have historic artifacts!   
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

crawler94

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 60
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:04:59 AM »

dude its so trippy to be wheeling thorugh the middle of no where and then all of a sudden you come around a corner and there is tons of 200 year old sh*t where there used to be an old town and huge mine! DAM I LOVE NOR CAL.. makes me wonder ALOT!

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,896
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Jan 07, 2008, 01:56:16 PM »
NICE PICS but what 4runner is yours
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #165 on: Jan 07, 2008, 03:45:06 PM »
We have loaders equipped with BIG ASS snow blowers on the fronts and they have to blow the snow into dump trucks and haul it off to a field, cause its piling up so much.

we have had a few warm days here which dwindled down our snow amount.. we have over 35in on the ground as of now... but over 5feet of total snowfall in our valley (2100ft) and it keeps snowing.

most of our trails are unaccessable without a snowmobile.
so i would like to go somewhere in the middle of where you and i are..

few feet of powder? that'd be nice.

right on though.. great pictures.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #166 on: Jan 07, 2008, 03:46:15 PM »

uh... his is the red one with the white top (cough cough)
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:21:14 PM »

the red one, it gets a little confusing as a lot of my friends have 4runners

We have loaders equipped with BIG ASS snow blowers on the fronts and they have to blow the snow into dump trucks and haul it off to a field, cause its piling up so much.

we have had a few warm days here which dwindled down our snow amount.. we have over 35in on the ground as of now... but over 5feet of total snowfall in our valley (2100ft) and it keeps snowing.

most of our trails are unaccessable without a snowmobile.
so i would like to go somewhere in the middle of where you and i are..

few feet of powder? that'd be nice.

right on though.. great pictures.

Damn thats a lot of snow for that elevation. is that typical? it rarely drops below 3000 feet in california though it does happen just not very often.

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:24:52 PM »
Are the pics from New Years weekend? I heard NoCal got hit hard this past weekend 1-5&1-6. :dunno:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

Doof

• Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:26:49 PM »
looks like fun, and that is pretty intense the hydro mining scare.... wow

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:42:35 PM »
Are the pics from New Years weekend? I heard NoCal got hit hard this past weekend 1-5&1-6. :dunno:

no those are from like two weeks ago I think, the last storm before the BIG storms. Yeah we got hit pretty hard. at my house which is around 3600 ft or so we only got about 1.5-2 ft of snow but in truckee and tahoe they were getting up to 10 feet of snow on the mountains. the winds were what sucked, they tore the area apart just before the snow came so a ton of people were out of power and the snow prevented PG&E from getting a lot done because they were so busy. our phones went out and the cell tower came down too but everything is good now. i still have friends without power though.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #171 on: Jan 08, 2008, 12:06:50 AM »
the red one, it gets a little confusing as a lot of my friends have 4runners

Damn thats a lot of snow for that elevation. is that typical? it rarely drops below 3000 feet in california though it does happen just not very often.

Not common since ive lived here for 10 years.
its usually above 3200ft.

the ski resort here is getting slammed with snow.
if you have an eqipped vehicle... im sure it could be a lot of fun.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Jan 11, 2008, 05:33:22 PM »
Not common since ive lived here for 10 years.
its usually above 3200ft.

the ski resort here is getting slammed with snow.
if you have an eqipped vehicle... im sure it could be a lot of fun.

Sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Do you have any pictures of your town or how much snow you have?? Another storm rolled in tonight but i think its just rain again. :( A bunch of guys I know are going on a snow run tomorrow up by Truckee but they are all running 42"+ tires and here I am with 35s and no rear locker...I just told em I wish I could go but i dont want to hold the group up, I know there is nasty snow. Not doubting my 4runners ability in the snow, it does great up to about 3.5 feet of snow and with 6 psi in the tires...but they are talking about4+ feet of snow and in that I would just get stuck and it would be lame. I need a locker damnit.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Jan 11, 2008, 06:16:56 PM »
I have decided I am going to get an Aussie on the next payday though work will slow down because im now in school 4 days a week. So if I cant find the time to swap third members to install the aussie in my rear axle I will see how much my friend's shop will do it for. hopefully there is a vacation in the next month or so, so that i can just do it myself.

Oh yeah and I got the new wheels mounted on my girlfriend's truck today. this was her xmas gift and she was stoked. At least I wont feel so bad driving it with the roxy and heart stickers in the windows  :outtahere:

Funny thing is, if you look back at the picture of my truck with the 32 bfgs, these are those rims. I bought these like 3 and a half years ago, ran em for about a year and a half then sold them to my friend Adam, and he ran em for the last two years. About a week before Xmas he tells me he is selling my old tires and rims because he got some 35 mtrs already on rims. Offered him a bill for the rims and now they are back in my possession again after almost 4 years. My gf had been wanting rock crawlers for her truck for a long time but i couldnt find any good deals locally but this sprang up right before xmas so I jumped on it. They are 15x10s with i believe 2" back spacing if i remember correctly. Definitely widened the stance of her 93 though for the better. it was just too narrow before.

Just2Much19

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 83
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:58:28 PM »
Nice job on Stars rig!!

Also, next time I am up there we need to take that scenic route.  I am from New York where I have never seen anything like that. 
1958 CJ-5, Chevy 350, 39.5"...blah, blah, blah

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Jan 11, 2008, 10:03:32 PM »
Nice job on Stars rig!!

Also, next time I am up there we need to take that scenic route.  I am from New York where I have never seen anything like that. 

Yeah there is a lot of beautiful back country roads around here. if you like camping i can take you to some sweet spots up by truckee this spring/summer

Just2Much19

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 83
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Jan 12, 2008, 08:23:50 PM »
Yeah there is a lot of beautiful back country roads around here. if you like camping i can take you to some sweet spots up by truckee this spring/summer

Call me I wanna meet up with you in the morning.
1958 CJ-5, Chevy 350, 39.5"...blah, blah, blah

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #177 on: Jan 13, 2008, 04:59:58 AM »
Sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Do you have any pictures of your town or how much snow you have?? Another storm rolled in tonight but i think its just rain again. :( A bunch of guys I know are going on a snow run tomorrow up by Truckee but they are all running 42"+ tires and here I am with 35s and no rear locker...I just told em I wish I could go but i dont want to hold the group up, I know there is nasty snow. Not doubting my 4runners ability in the snow, it does great up to about 3.5 feet of snow and with 6 psi in the tires...but they are talking about4+ feet of snow and in that I would just get stuck and it would be lame. I need a locker damnit.

i wish i could even do 2ft of wet snow.
haha.

I will snap some later today.
it will be phone pictures, as my digi is broke.
it hasd been raining like 2 days straight and warming up.
so its gone down like 5in.

but definately.

I have decided I am going to get an Aussie on the next payday though work will slow down because im now in school 4 days a week. So if I cant find the time to swap third members to install the aussie in my rear axle I will see how much my friend's shop will do it for. hopefully there is a vacation in the next month or so, so that i can just do it myself.

Oh yeah and I got the new wheels mounted on my girlfriend's truck today. this was her xmas gift and she was stoked. At least I wont feel so bad driving it with the roxy and heart stickers in the windows  :outtahere:

Funny thing is, if you look back at the picture of my truck with the 32 bfgs, these are those rims. I bought these like 3 and a half years ago, ran em for about a year and a half then sold them to my friend Adam, and he ran em for the last two years. About a week before Xmas he tells me he is selling my old tires and rims because he got some 35 mtrs already on rims. Offered him a bill for the rims and now they are back in my possession again after almost 4 years. My gf had been wanting rock crawlers for her truck for a long time but i couldnt find any good deals locally but this sprang up right before xmas so I jumped on it. They are 15x10s with i believe 2" back spacing if i remember correctly. Definitely widened the stance of her 93 though for the better. it was just too narrow before.

NICE!
I definately think those 3rd gens look silly stock...
the body is too wide for the axles/ifs
i like the look of the wheels sticking out like that.
and low stance.

nice looking, and way to keep the girlfriend happy
and sticking around
now make hers into your tow rig :haha:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:00:18 PM »
i wish i could even do 2ft of wet snow.
haha.

I will snap some later today.
it will be phone pictures, as my digi is broke.
it hasd been raining like 2 days straight and warming up.
so its gone down like 5in.

but definately.

NICE!
I definately think those 3rd gens look silly stock...
the body is too wide for the axles/ifs
i like the look of the wheels sticking out like that.
and low stance.

nice looking, and way to keep the girlfriend happy
and sticking around
now make hers into your tow rig :haha:

yeah I didnt like how skinny it was stock either, just looked goofy. I like how it turned out looks good. now she tells me a SAS is what she wants next christmas, i just laughed.... :shake:

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »
Justin (just2much19) and I went out to the CAL 4WD Winter Funfest at Greenhorn today. We got there at about 10 am and stayed almost all day. Got some good wheeling in and got to check out all the bad ass rigs that came from all over nor cal. it was a good day, didnt see any good roll overs though.  :(

Probably 600-800 people showed up

My friend brandon's linked third gen with coilovers

Twisted Metal Fab buggy...that thing is awesome!

A cool Zuk buggy

My buddy's first gen