Author Topic: 46&2's 85 4Runner Build-Up  (Read 269333 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: 46&2's 85 4Runner Build-Up
« Reply #300 on: Jun 23, 2008, 12:25:34 PM »
Why don't you get a hair cut ya hippie :gap:

I only cut my hair when my girlfriend starts to complain or the weather gets too hot :P
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Jun 23, 2008, 12:28:57 PM »
I only cut my hair when my girlfriend starts to complain or the weather gets too hot :P

I'm just jokin' man. My hair is longer than yours, it's just kind of a surprise whenever you put a face to the name. Figured I'd give you a little :pokinit:...

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: Jun 23, 2008, 12:33:23 PM »
I'm just jokin' man. My hair is longer than yours, it's just kind of a surprise whenever you put a face to the name. Figured I'd give you a little :pokinit:...

Haha I know its all good as you can tell from the pictures I am pretty much the only one in my group of friends with any hair at all, they all shave their heads lol. yeah thats whats funny about this place is i will talk to people on here forever and when I finally see a picture its never anything like I imagined.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: Jun 23, 2008, 12:56:11 PM »
lol that sucks.... he might as well get a new DD and trail that rig now

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: Jun 23, 2008, 01:32:05 PM »
Haha I know its all good as you can tell from the pictures I am pretty much the only one in my group of friends with any hair at all, they all shave their heads lol. yeah thats whats funny about this place is i will talk to people on here forever and when I finally see a picture its never anything like I imagined.

so very true......
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: Jun 23, 2008, 01:38:14 PM »
lol that sucks.... he might as well get a new DD and trail that rig now

Naw, thats how he rolls hehe. Ever since high school that kid will buy a vehicle and beat it mercilessly all the while driving it every day. He likes to mash.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Online The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 2,470
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #306 on: Jun 23, 2008, 01:38:59 PM »
definitely, thats funny you got the surfer fro goin on, my mom wont let me grow my hair out :down: else id have the most awesome dreads imaginabale :yupyup:

but if i had to pick you out of a crowd without having seen a pic, i wouldve chose somebody with hair like that, and probly you. :dunno:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: Jun 25, 2008, 02:04:08 PM »
Not really much to look at but this is all the carnage I walked away with at Fordyce.

Nearly tore my spring clamp all the way off, scratched up my DS flange in the front a little

Front driveshaft kissed some rocks

Rear flange also saw some rock rash

front axle

rear axle, dented it in a little bit on the lower left there. still tits though

I tried to clearance my gas tank skid plate before we left but I obviously didnt clearance it enough. after about a day on the trail my leafs started catching on it again and tweaked it all out again. time to break out the angle grinder again

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: Jun 25, 2008, 02:07:54 PM »
My Marlin bumpers and sliders did their job VERY WELL! :biggthumpup:

If not for the sliders and rear bumper my body would be trashed. My sliders began to get a work out on the trail to get to the trail! They helped out so much.

Rear bumper had a lot of close encounters

This was the worst damage of the trip. I don't even know how I did it, but I managed to tear my driver's fender off at the bottom. I was able to bend it into place but I need to do some work to get it reattached so the door closes right.

And that was it. Not bad really, I took it pretty easy on my truck, didn't hammer it quite like some of the other guys in the group....  :gap:

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Online The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #309 on: Jun 25, 2008, 02:09:34 PM »
not bad at all dude. look slike the basic armor really saved your ass.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: Jun 25, 2008, 02:11:43 PM »
not bad at all dude. look slike the basic armor really saved your ass.

Yeah, I had barely used my sliders and rear bumper in the past but they definitely saved my sheet metal the whole way along the trail

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Online The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #311 on: Jun 25, 2008, 02:15:33 PM »
looks like im gonna have to start makin some pretty soon too. you going to MCR?

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: Jun 25, 2008, 02:21:49 PM »
looks like im gonna have to start makin some pretty soon too. you going to MCR?

Yup, thats the plan. Still gotta send in my registration but I think so far I got 3 rigs from Grass Valley coming along with me, that green exoed yota and the tan one that sheered all his studs both said they want to come.

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: Jun 25, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
What do you think of the MTR's?

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: Jun 25, 2008, 07:44:05 PM »
What do you think of the MTR's?

Love them. I ran a set in the past but they never saw this much rock action. I aired them down to 10 psi and they hooked up great. It rained on us for about 15-20 minutes and they still did great even on the wet rocks. I plan on sticking with MTRs for a while. After going from my old set of Cooper Discoverers to MTRs again I forgot what a kick ass tire it really is, especially in the rocks.

Thomas P

• Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: Jun 26, 2008, 02:05:01 AM »
i cant believe i havent seen this thread until now.....  :hammerhead: your runner is gorgeous i want one like it, cool fordyce pics too looks like you had fun, i miss that place hope to go next spring  :crossed:
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: Jun 26, 2008, 09:54:08 AM »
I want sliders so bad, now that I got a dd that is not my yota I can be a little bit harder on it! I am getting sick of the high lakes I want to go other places. Fordyce or whatever looks hella fun!
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: Jun 26, 2008, 11:17:52 AM »
i cant believe i havent seen this thread until now.....  :hammerhead: your runner is gorgeous i want one like it, cool fordyce pics too looks like you had fun, i miss that place hope to go next spring  :crossed:

Thanks man, Fordyce is great if you go next spring let me know! :thumbs:

I want sliders so bad, now that I got a dd that is not my yota I can be a little bit harder on it! I am getting sick of the high lakes I want to go other places. Fordyce or whatever looks hella fun!

Yeah sliders are key, my body would be thrashed without em. Fordyce is bad ass come up next spring. The only thing that sucks about Fordyce is they close it hell of early. I am pretty we made it for the last weekend its open. So you have to get there early.

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 743
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: Jun 26, 2008, 11:20:05 AM »
on pirate they are saying it might be closing soon only rumors right now though....i hope not i have a camping trip planned in aug. to a family cabin right by meadow lake
JUST ANOTHER ROCK CRAWLER....
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: Jul 23, 2008, 12:09:54 AM »
on pirate they are saying it might be closing soon only rumors right now though....i hope not i have a camping trip planned in aug. to a family cabin right by meadow lake

Yeah I was reading there is a new Forest Supervisor with the Forest Service and he wasn't that concerned with closing it down like the last guy was. So that sounds like good news. As far as I know its still open which it was already closed by now last year.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,896
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: Jul 23, 2008, 11:04:20 AM »
are you going to add diff gaurds
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: Jul 23, 2008, 11:27:34 AM »
are you going to add diff gaurds

Yeah I have some all pro dif armor I just didn't get around to welding it on yet. definitely going on before rubicon

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: Aug 11, 2008, 10:13:54 PM »
Okay, poll time. What do you all think I should do. I welded my rear end to get to Fordyce on a tight schedule and I have an Aussie I wanted to swap in the rear after I got back. Now I have gotten used to the welded rear end and I feel I have adapted to the welded rear enough that I can corner effectively and put the least amount of wear onto the tires as I can with a welded. I am not sure the extra effort to get the Aussie in to replace the welded is really worth it.

So does anyone think running a welded over an aussie is really going to save that much tire life? That was really the only reason I went aussie over welded in the first place. To try and get a little more out of my tires. I could throw the aussie in the front yes but I dont want to upgrade to hydro and longfields right now and I want to keep it open until I can get a selectable. At this point, with work being really slow right now until hunting season picks up, I think I might be better off keeping it welded and selling the Aussie. Really tire life is my only concern.

So should I:

Swap the welded for the Aussie to potentially save tire life

or

Keep the welded rear, sell the aussie, not going to notice much difference anyway

:confused:

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Online The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #323 on: Aug 11, 2008, 10:15:54 PM »
sell the aussie and buy somethin else with it. i dont think youd really save that much tire life with aussie vs lincoln... :dunno: jus keep your tires rotated often

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #324 on: Aug 12, 2008, 02:27:45 AM »
sell the aussie and buy somethin else with it. i dont think youd really save that much tire life with aussie vs lincoln... :dunno: jus keep your tires rotated often

agreed.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: Aug 12, 2008, 11:53:06 AM »

agreed.

Yeah, that is what I am leaning towards. Anyone else have any input??

Thomas P

• Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: Aug 12, 2008, 10:13:43 PM »
aussie up front, dont sweat the steering im running 42"s with ifs box and it turns wonderfully, then just think about the birfs constantly so you dont blow them up, you should be able to run like that with no issue, my buddy has 39.5 iroks with stock birfs and ifs box steering and he has only blown 1 birf in 4 years! Just be careful!
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: Aug 12, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »
aussie up front, dont sweat the steering im running 42"s with ifs box and it turns wonderfully, then just think about the birfs constantly so you dont blow them up, you should be able to run like that with no issue, my buddy has 39.5 iroks with stock birfs and ifs box steering and he has only blown 1 birf in 4 years! Just be careful!

Yeah I toyed with that idea, but at this point I need the money more than the front locker. I ran Fordyce no problem without any front locker so I am not really tripping. Plus I live on a mountain that gets up to 4+ feet of snow in the winter so basically a full time front locker is not an option. Over 5 miles to town on some sketchy mountain roads, I am nervous enough about a full time rear locker let alone throwing a full time front locker in the mix as well. A lot of people have told me Aussies in front are great but where I live really demands a selectable front locker over a full time. Thanks for the input though man!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #328 on: Aug 12, 2008, 11:17:18 PM »
Yeah I toyed with that idea, but at this point I need the money more than the front locker. I ran Fordyce no problem without any front locker so I am not really tripping. Plus I live on a mountain that gets up to 4+ feet of snow in the winter so basically a full time front locker is not an option. Over 5 miles to town on some sketchy mountain roads, I am nervous enough about a full time rear locker let alone throwing a full time front locker in the mix as well. A lot of people have told me Aussies in front are great but where I live really demands a selectable front locker over a full time. Thanks for the input though man!

ill gladly take that off your hands bro.

and my truck wont have much down time.. i have spare thrid i can swap it into and set up... and then BAM. swap it in.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: Aug 12, 2008, 11:23:32 PM »
ill gladly take that off your hands bro.

and my truck wont have much down time.. i have spare thrid i can swap it into and set up... and then BAM. swap it in.

You got a PM man