Author Topic: Finally, SAS'ed the Migo... and she sits.....  (Read 301427 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Finally, SAS'ed the Migo
« Reply #540 on: Jun 09, 2006, 10:45:32 PM »
chhrrriiiisss might have 4.88's ill check with rj also

SAWEET! :smooch: Thanks I appreciate it :greengrin:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #541 on: Jun 16, 2006, 01:47:32 PM »
So I figured out what the noise was comin from under the Migo :hammerhead: :hammer: :doh: My solid mount welds on the transfer case broke and now the tcase is relying on the bushing mount :smack: So now when I drive the driveshaft hits on the floor that we put in and it's back to square one.  I guess I could clean off all the grease and reweld them to last till I get back to sac :silly:  :headscratch:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: Jun 16, 2006, 05:53:46 PM »
Ouch!
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: Jun 16, 2006, 06:00:29 PM »
What's this I hear? I am sure I missed where you explained this, but what's up?
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #544 on: Jun 16, 2006, 08:02:07 PM »
What's this I hear? I am sure I missed where you explained this, but what's up?

I tried driving the Amigo to town last week and heard a thump thump on accelerating, shifting, and braking.  I thought it was something in the rear end, noticed a few lose U-bolts so I tried to put some new washers on the Ubolts and I stripped em out :hammerhead: So I had to get some new u-bolts (courtesy of "The Rear End Shop" in Livermore :woohoo: Finally got the U-bolts in and still heard the noise.  I was drivin in our pasture and realized that my floor was dented up then it hit me :smack: :hammerhead: My welds broke.  So I get underneath and sure enough... the welds on the makeshift solid mount busted.  So the tcase is only soft mounted.  I have to re-weld some brackets to keep it from moving :thumbs:

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: Jun 17, 2006, 04:17:48 AM »
Ahhhh, I see.  Let me ask, is the engine and Tcase bolted together? If so does the engine have solid mounts?

If not you better not mount the Tcase solid. :hammerhead: Be glad the welds broke and not the Tcase.

I have solid motor mounts, but the Tcase has the rubber mounts still.

If the engine is twisting up causing the Tcase to hit the floor, you better do something with the motor mounts first.

If the Tcase is seperate from the Trans then forget what I was  :blah: about.

:therethere:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #546 on: Jun 17, 2006, 09:26:36 AM »
She has a custom divorced Toyota t-case.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #547 on: Jun 18, 2006, 01:05:23 AM »
Rocksurfer is correct, and I failed to mention.  I have the divorced tcase, so it goes Engine --> 2wd Transmission --> Intermediate shaft --> OTT adapter --> Transfer case --> rear driveshaft ::)

This morning I got the grinder out and ground down the old welds and laid a few more welds on where the mount broke.  I'm not even sure if it held.  I had 4 people in the rig and with that much weight the driveshaft rubs anyway... when I got down to 3 the driveshaft didn't rub as much :hammerhead: Tomorrow when it's light out I'll take a look and give an update :thumbs:

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: Jun 18, 2006, 01:08:07 AM »
does your intermediate shaft have a slip in it ?
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #549 on: Jun 18, 2006, 01:09:46 AM »
does your intermediate shaft have a slip in it ?

:yesnod:

yotaweelr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -53
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Feb '05
  • wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: Jun 19, 2006, 11:26:41 AM »
it has a slip, but only 1 ujoint, to adapt the yoke to it. there was no way a 2 ujoint driveline was going to fit. her migo is just to short. the t-case has to not move, and the trans output has to stay center.

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #551 on: Jun 19, 2006, 12:08:59 PM »
it has a slip, but only 1 ujoint, to adapt the yoke to it. there was no way a 2 ujoint driveline was going to fit. her migo is just to short. the t-case has to not move, and the trans output has to stay center.

:thumbs: Thank you Jeremy :greengrin:

yotaweelr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -53
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Feb '05
  • wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: Jun 20, 2006, 03:37:45 PM »
hey woman, I've got some 4x4lab steering arms here. they will cure all steering clearance issues, and you can push the axle forward without moving the steering box. just need a draglink with fj80 end on one side, and 60 end on the steering arm side. the guy that made them seems to be local and can make the draglink.  :gap:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #553 on: Jun 20, 2006, 04:06:56 PM »
hey woman, I've got some 4x4lab steering arms here. they will cure all steering clearance issues, and you can push the axle forward without moving the steering box. just need a draglink with fj80 end on one side, and 60 end on the steering arm side. the guy that made them seems to be local and can make the draglink.  :gap:

:eyebrow:

I've been tryin to get out there this week but it's not happenin.  :down: Sounds great! I just gotta get away from here and get out there, but the Migo ain't goin nowhere now not till I get my driveshaft fixed, cuz I right now don't have a rear driveshaft :doh: I was only borrowing the one that got me on the road, now I have to return it.  Keep in touch!!

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #554 on: Jun 20, 2006, 04:58:04 PM »
U need 2 get your truck in order so i can break somthing :yupyup:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #555 on: Jun 20, 2006, 11:21:55 PM »
U need 2 get your truck in order so i can break somthing :yupyup:

:headscratch: Well, I guess I can focus on the Ford instead of the Migo for the Roundup...... It'd almost be cheaper to have that ready :disturbed:

NOT A CHANCE!!!! :screwy:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #556 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:15:42 PM »
Well from the looks of it it may have been cheaper to get the ford ready.. all that needs is a front axle...

I put the old driveshaft in the rear of the Migo today.  When I mounted the new springs it moved the axle forward bout 3/4", thus scrunching up the driveshaft.  NOW when I accelerate or roll or whatever the cv rubs :shake: Time to get it shortened bout an inch and get the CV rebuilt while I'm at it ::) I was hoping it would just bolt up and be okay, but I'm not so lucky.  The plans are to get spacers and driveshaft done for trip.... still leavin a new clutch and shocks for later :headshake:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:21:21 PM »
Well from the looks of it it may have been cheaper to get the ford ready.. all that needs is a front axle...

I put the old driveshaft in the rear of the Migo today.  When I mounted the new springs it moved the axle forward bout 3/4", thus scrunching up the driveshaft.  NOW when I accelerate or roll or whatever the cv rubs :shake: Time to get it shortened bout an inch and get the CV rebuilt while I'm at it ::) I was hoping it would just bolt up and be okay, but I'm not so lucky.  The plans are to get spacers and driveshaft done for trip.... still leavin a new clutch and shocks for later :headshake:

The driveshaft I gave you doesn't work?  bummer :down:  it only needs to be shortened about an inch?  take the short spline side out, and see if there is junk in the bottom of the tube.  That shaft was sitting seperate for a while outside, so there may be crud in it.  I'll go look and see if I can find another short spline side too, mabye that'll help out a little. :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #558 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:23:40 PM »
The driveshaft I gave you doesn't work?  bummer :down:  it only needs to be shortened about an inch?  take the short spline side out, and see if there is junk in the bottom of the tube.  That shaft was sitting seperate for a while outside, so there may be crud in it.  I'll go look and see if I can find another short spline side too, mabye that'll help out a little. :dunno:

Thanks BD, but the one you gave me won't pull off the angle that I need it to do.  The driveshaft I'm currently using has a loose CV and it's bout an inch too short.  Even cleaning out the splines won't work because it's already maxed out as short as it can go, clean or not.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:26:12 PM »
What about cutting off an 1 1/2" of the splines?  I'm not holding any liability for it, but that'll shorten it up

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:30:25 PM »
can you put perch relocators in to move the axle back enough?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #561 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:32:26 PM »
What about cutting off an 1 1/2" of the splines?  I'm not holding any liability for it, but that'll shorten it up

That might could work :headscratch: No..... come to think of it it's the upper part I need shortened.  It chokes all the way down the splined part... on the outside.  Make sense? :headscratch:

4x2.... If I'm gonna go that far I might as well move the whole thing back, spring mounts and all... Getting into that just makes too much work for so little time.  :down:

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:36:47 PM »
that far? its essentially tossing in a block, takes maybe an hour, tops, for both sides....

seems a lot easier than spending time trying to make the oterh one work or locating another one at this point

relocating hte mounts isnt all that bad... and it will later allow you to use jsut the standard driveshaft should a trail break or something happen
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:40:26 PM »
That might could work :headscratch: No..... come to think of it it's the upper part I need shortened.  It chokes all the way down the splined part... on the outside.  Make sense? :headscratch:
yeah, I know how it fits.  I'm not sure exactly how it slides in, but either way, you just cut a bit off the side that goes in the other side.  this will allow it to go in further.  Or, if it the outside hits before the inside, cut a bit off the sleeve.  Either way, you should be able to cut an 1 - 1 1/2 off either peice to make it work where they slide together

if its going on a trailer, why not just square tube it anyway?

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #564 on: Aug 18, 2006, 01:27:48 AM »
yeah, I know how it fits.  I'm not sure exactly how it slides in, but either way, you just cut a bit off the side that goes in the other side.  this will allow it to go in further.  Or, if it the outside hits before the inside, cut a bit off the sleeve.  Either way, you should be able to cut an 1 - 1 1/2 off either peice to make it work where they slide together

if its going on a trailer, why not just square tube it anyway?

It's not necessarily the tube that's keeping my driveshaft from performing correctly.  The CV has a lot of play in it so it's shot.  I need to fix the CV and I'm hoping to get spacers before the roundup.  That's the most I can do I think :hammerhead:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: Aug 18, 2006, 06:36:11 PM »
It's not necessarily the tube that's keeping my driveshaft from performing correctly.  The CV has a lot of play in it so it's shot.  I need to fix the CV and I'm hoping to get spacers before the roundup.  That's the most I can do I think :hammerhead:
I know that, but you're talking about shortening it.  Of course, since it is going on the trailer, you could just cut an inch out of the driveshaft tubing and weld it back together :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #566 on: Aug 29, 2006, 11:23:50 AM »
Well, I been workin on the Migo every chance I get.  Today I'm goin to hopefully make a rear driveshaft that'll work.  I put in some 2" spacers in the rear and 1.5"s in the front.  I put mounted the CB and sanded the front axle so I can put my new truss on :gap: Now I just need an antenna and some fender cuttage and a little welding here and there then i'll be ready!!

Oh :doh: and a tow rig :disturbed:

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #567 on: Aug 29, 2006, 02:02:15 PM »
better hurry up only 9 more days .. :yikes: panic !!!!!!!!
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #568 on: Sep 04, 2006, 02:38:29 PM »
3 more days :crossed:

Left to do:
New U-joint on newly modified rear driveshaft
flip rear springs around
Antenna for CB

Done lately:
Tacked up the truss on the axle :disturbed: Tried the arc at 90 but it blew a hole in my truss :tantrum: So I dropped it down to 75 and the best I could do is tack it... so I got about a dozen decent tacks :disturbed: We'll see how those hold up.  I'm goin today if I can find an open tire place, to get my spare mounted and BLINGN's new rear tires mounted :crossed:

Somehow I gotta make it to DMV to get tags :shake:

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #569 on: Sep 04, 2006, 02:40:33 PM »
 :crossed: