Poll

poll

have
1 (100%)
have not
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: Apr 03, 2010, 12:30:36 PM

Author Topic: KDXSR5s Wyo DD Build: Starting To Come Together.............SLOWLY  (Read 136707 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
So it has been a while since I have updated this thread. I don't think I have done anything to it lately... :headscratch: My girlfriend and I went wheeling today and here are a few pics.

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
I'm jealous man. I really like your truck.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I'm jealous man. I really like your truck.

I appreciate the compliment man :gap: It is not the best, but it does pretty darn good. It has a ways to go still.

FUTURE PLANS
High steer (Marlin w/ Sky flat pitman arm)
Regear 5.29 (Nitro gears, solid pinion spacer, etc) w/ Truetrac (DD in winter = no full locker)
1" 4Crawler body lift
Sliders (Probably Marlin)
Superwinch EPI9.0 (could be used for so SO much!)

Thats about it as far as semi-set in stone plans go. I am planning on making a different bed for it as well, as this one has about had it. At the same time I will install a fuel cell with greater capacity than stock. I am not digging the 250 mi range this truck has, because I sometimes see that in a couple days out here. Carrying around extra gas and filling up all the time gets old fast.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2010, 10:53:29 PM by KDXSR5 »

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
So apparently I broke a shock when I went wheeling.

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Man you seem to break stuff easy haha, just joking
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Man you seem to break stuff easy haha, just joking

Trust me, you are not the first one to tell me this lol. I think breaking and fixing stuff is half the fun of wheeling so it doesn't bother me too much. I have also been fortunate enough to have stuff that breaks that costs me around $50 to fix (or less). Thanks to Red I got a diff for the cost of shipping, and the shocks were free off of a friends truck, so I still have my old ones. I think that is all the major stuff, besides the leaf spring (another wierd freak incident), that have broken.The steering arm I got fixed for free. Everything I have had break has been not on purpose, so its kind of like finding the weak links in a rig. My biggest weak link right now is steering, so that is what will get fixed next.

Mavericks

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2535
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
how do you like the rear bumper? I was thinking about making my own because i wanted it tucked up a little higher. However looking at yours I don't think I could make one that would gain much more clearance than Marlins and still use my tailgate?
1985 toyota SR5, 22re,  5.29's locked front and rear, duals with twin stick, longfields.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
how do you like the rear bumper? I was thinking about making my own because i wanted it tucked up a little higher. However looking at yours I don't think I could make one that would gain much more clearance than Marlins and still use my tailgate?

It has served me well. From the tires back would have been forcefully removed many moons ago without it. I do not go on many rocks (I hardly consider shale a real rock compared to granite and such that others wheel on), so i can't tell you how it would fair in rocks.

I have had two different vehicles hit it (chevy 1500 and a suburban), and I have backed into a popup (OOPS!!!!!!) and all it has ever done is leave paint and scratches in the powder coat while taking out whole corners on the other vehicles.

I have had the whole back of the truck held up by it both working on it and wheeling it. I have dropped on it pretty damn hard more than once... hard enough to make kidneys hurt.

I tow trailers with it (you will definitely want to weld it to the frame if you are going to tow with it or drop really hard onto the bumper, both will cause it to move if it is just bolted on)

It does hug the body pretty well, and the step on it is nice as are the D-ring mounts. If you are trying to keep a bed from getting messed up, it should work pretty well for you. If you are doing or have a body lift, the support bars that go under the sides of the bed will hang lower and potentially be a problem.

After seeing some damaged ones, I am thinking about adding cross bracing to mine.

If you have more specific questions, just ask. I really like the bumper even though I don't really have a very nice bed to protect. It was the only mod to this truck for the first year or so I had it, and I am really happy with the purchase. It really works well for an unmodified bed setup, and I think it looks pretty nice as well.

Mavericks

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2535
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile

I really like how yours looks but I may modify the bumper mounts so it sits up higher and trim a little bit off the box. Nice truck by the way, I started out similar with a small lift, stock steering and 33's it still wheeled pretty well, and I see yours does too!
1985 toyota SR5, 22re,  5.29's locked front and rear, duals with twin stick, longfields.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
 do you like those tires? Iv been kinda wondering how they worked... May end up getting a set of 31s for my jeep.

Truck is lookin good though. it is weird the parts you seem to break with a relatively stock truck... :headscratch:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I really like how yours looks but I may modify the bumper mounts so it sits up higher and trim a little bit off the box. Nice truck by the way, I started out similar with a small lift, stock steering and 33's it still wheeled pretty well, and I see yours does too!

Thanks! It is a good little truck, but I have began to reach the limitations of the stock parts. I need high steer, and lower gearing would be REALLY nice!

Hey where did you get that trick invisible shock shaft? :gap:

Didn't you hear about the new air shock craze? This is the newest model, the "True" Air Shock. :gap:

do you like those tires? Iv been kinda wondering how they worked... May end up getting a set of 31s for my jeep.

Truck is lookin good though. it is weird the parts you seem to break with a relatively stock truck... :headscratch:

They are awesome! The tread is pretty soft so it grips pretty well IMO, and it is the BEST winter tire I have ever had on any truck. The tread blocks are pliable, and the siping works really well. They work great for what I do. The only problem I have had with them is the shale cuts them up a little bit, but that happens with every tire I have ever put on this truck. These are the best on/off road tire I have ever put on this truck though, hands down.

I appreciate the compliments! Yeah, I need to get high steer on the pig, and then it will be a lot more reliable. I really need to regear it too.

On a side note, I weighed the truck the other day at the truck scales, and it weighs 4200 LBS! Its a heavy b*std!
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2010, 08:13:16 AM by KDXSR5 »

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Not a huge thing, but I got a couple steel hawse fairleads for $30 and I put one on.

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
Good to see that 4.10 third worked out well for you and I really like the look of those tires.
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Good to see that 4.10 third worked out well for you and I really like the look of those tires.

Yes, it has been awesome! I owe you one man! I love these tires; they look cool, they work well, and they are my new favorite tire. I wish they offered more sizes for them though!

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
My dad decided to get us a press! $150 at Harbor Freight got us a 20 ton one. I plan on doing my own gears in the next year or two and this will be extremely helpful. I am going to buy some better arbor plates when I have the money from: http://www.swagoffroad.com/Arbor_Press_Plates.html because the stock arbor plates are cast death metal. Sorry for the crappy pic!

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
My dad decided to get us a press! $150 at Harbor Freight got us a 20 ton one. I plan on doing my own gears in the next year or two and this will be extremely helpful. I am going to buy some better arbor plates when I have the money from: http://www.swagoffroad.com/Arbor_Press_Plates.html because the stock arbor plates are cast death metal. Sorry for the crappy pic!

Do your self a favor on that press and weld the frame together every where it is bolted to gether... dont ask me how I know this I'd rather not recall the event...
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Do your self a favor on that press and weld the frame together every where it is bolted to gether... dont ask me how I know this I'd rather not recall the event...

Well the only place this one is bolted together is the mounting legs and the return spring mounts for the pump. Did the frame used to bolt together? That sounds sketchy. :-\ I am sorry you had something go wrong man.

I got a winch today for christmas from my parents!!!!!! I also ordered Marlin high steer (http://www.marlincrawler.com/steering/high-steer/high-steer-kit-hilux) and a Front Range Offroad front crossmember brace (http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=63&osCsid=d4037bec6b1d811b2f7f8898a050dc84) with money I got for Christmas. It is so nice having people in my life that support my hobby.

All I have left to do on the winch is wire it up. I used jumper cables on the leads to reach my battery in the bed so i could do my initial winch respool to get the wire tight on the drum.

Superwinch EPi 9.0

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
good looking winch
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
good looking winch

Thanks, I thought so too. From what I hear it performs awesome as well.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I got this stuff in a couple days ago. I am waiting on a few parts from Sky, then I can get on it.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I got in a few more things.

Front frame brace so my winch doesn't rip the frame apart:

And a one inch body lift to make installing my wiring and cables and such easier in conduit (battery is in the bed) along with a few other benefits.

4x4yota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 301
  • Male Posts: 1,256
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
this build just keeps getting better!

where did you find the 1" body lift?
I bout a 2" and tried to modify it to a 1" and ended up destroying it!
Current:
85 yota 4x4 http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101931.new#new
Sold:
81 Yota 4x4 - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61025.0

Just remember that if the tires don't rub, then the tires ain't big enough -Runar

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
this build just keeps getting better!

where did you find the 1" body lift?
I bout a 2" and tried to modify it to a 1" and ended up destroying it!

I got this one from Sky Manufacturing > http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=123

I am not real impressed with the quality. I should have gotten one from 4crawler> http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml

But I was already ordering stuff from Sky, and someone else was footing the bill as a gift, so I said why not. I will run it and see what happens.

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
You'll be fine with that body lift.  My buddy that runs the same one has had no trouble at all and he is an animal to his truck...
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

4x4yota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 301
  • Male Posts: 1,256
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
are you planning to run the high steer with how your truck is set up now or got a different plan in mind?
Current:
85 yota 4x4 http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101931.new#new
Sold:
81 Yota 4x4 - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61025.0

Just remember that if the tires don't rub, then the tires ain't big enough -Runar

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
hes running a flat pitman arm to clear. but theirs a good possibility he will be reciving something special!  :shhh:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
are you planning to run the high steer with how your truck is set up now or got a different plan in mind?

hes running a flat pitman arm to clear. but theirs a good possibility he will be reciving something special!  :shhh:

I was planning on installing it with the current springs. I have a sky flat pitman arm and I am pretty confident it will work, but apparently Josh has some different plans for me lol
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2011, 10:41:11 PM by KDXSR5 »

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
why yes i do! :gap: rears im still looking for a good option. but fronts are almost done :thumbs:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Quiet it down a bit. I am sick and tired of the loud flowmaster, and my exhaust fell apart at one of the LCE flanges from vibrations, so I hope the flex hose helps me out there.:

« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2011, 10:45:11 PM by KDXSR5 »

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
I've always preferred the hum of a Toyota drivetrain to the BLAAAAT of a loud exhaust!
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6