Author Topic: Project Snoopy: 85 4Runna - Rebuild 1.0  (Read 159594 times)

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
Not to bad a list. If you need some rear shock brackets, I have some ruff stuff side mount brackets available.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
:whip:  sounds like a plan 

i got my parking brake installed today :woohoo:

Good work, Glen! Glad it could help ya out!
Not to bad a list. If you need some rear shock brackets, I have some ruff stuff side mount brackets available.

Yea, I ordered those brackets already. Wish I had known you had them. Oh well...

domino

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 86
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile

Yea, I ordered those brackets already. Wish I had known you had them. Oh well...

Have you installed these brackets yet?  I'm thinking about ordering some for myself instead of fabbing something up.  Wondering if they're worth the 25 bucks. 

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Have you installed these brackets yet?  I'm thinking about ordering some for myself instead of fabbing something up.  Wondering if they're worth the 25 bucks. 

brackets??  for what??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

domino

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 86
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
brackets??  for what??

The lower mounts for the rear shocks.  I bought some steel to make my own, but I'm feeling a little lazy.
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/axle-side-mount-shock-brackets-p-210.html

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
or weld a bolt to the housing and install them like / \
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
I have a pair sitting back home that I wanted to use, but didnt up using. There construction looks real solid! I'd say they are worth the $ given the time to drill, shape and weld them up your self. Check my for sale thread if your interested.

or weld a bolt to the housing and install them like / \

You can still install them like that, but this double bracket is going to be MUCH stronger then a bolt welded to the housing.

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
You can still install them like that, but this double bracket is going to be MUCH stronger then a bolt welded to the housing.
i agree, its not the best way, luckily i have some ubolt flip plates with a dropped bracket attached to remedy this

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Domino, I'll post up pics when I get to them.

The weather was really weird here yesterday. Around 70 degrees at one point. I came down to work on Snoop and his undercarriage was dripping with water from condensation. It was crazy.

So, I chose not to weld with such weird weather and a wet dog. I started working on putting in the ARB compressor, wiring, and e-locker harness. I'm not totally sure where to put the "hot" wire for ignition on. I think I might wire it into the cigarette lighter, as that is hot only with ignition on. OR I could try to tap into the ignition harness by the steering column. Thoughts?

I bought a pipe cutter, and it really did a nice job on some spare pipe. I think I'll be using this when it comes time to re-do my rear shaft.

I tightened up the t-case mount onto the t-case, and I think it might be okay. Glad I just forked over 70 bucks for that FROR center plate...  :smack: Oh well... I might still use it. Who knows...

Happy New Year's!!! Hope you all had a great Christmas!

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
I wired up the "hot" wire for my e-lockers straight to the fuse box in the engine bay. Sorry, no pictures. Wont be able to get new ones until I get my Runner here to LA. If you dont smoke the lighter would be a good option.

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
I wired up the "hot" wire for my e-lockers straight to the fuse box in the engine bay. Sorry, no pictures. Wont be able to get new ones until I get my Runner here to LA. If you dont smoke the lighter would be a good option.

I ended up using the lighter to run the hot for both the ARB components and the e-locker. I think it'll work out okay.

UPDATE: The lockers are both wired. WOOT!!! I took apart the dash and ran them behind the paneling. I put the e-locker switch where the antenna up/down button was (above the radio). I put the ARB compressor, front and rear locker buttons in the panel above the driverside lower speaker. I used the ARB three-switch panel and modified it a little. Fits nicely.

I went to take pics of all this, and my camera died. Charger is in Fayetteville, so no pics 'til I get him charged... Sorry...

Now the engine won't idle. I'm hoping I don't have enough gas in the tank to keep it idleing, so I'll try filling him up and seeing what's up. Also, his starter is going out, it seems. No surprise, as I've been grinding on the starter the past 4 months trying to get him started and whatnot... EEkkkss....

Hope to get more work done soon. You stay classy, San Diego!

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
One more thing.

I need some metal shock bushings with a 1/2" ID for my Bilstein 5100s. I bought them used, so two came with metal sleeves, and two came without. I'd need four. Any ideas on where to get them? I called Bilstein, but they're closed 'til Jan. 3.

If you could find these, I'd be ever indebted to you!
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2008, 01:51:52 PM by Jordan7118 »

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 499
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I may have some in my bag of shock parts. Lemme look, and I'll tell you in the A.M.
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
I may have some in my bag of shock parts. Lemme look, and I'll tell you in the A.M.

Awesome. Glen is bringing three drive shaft bolts on Saturday.

AND NOW THE BIG NEWS.....

Maiden Voyage Scheduled for THIS Saturday at Superlift in Hot Springs

:willynilly: :willynilly: :yesnod: :biggthumpup: :thumbs: :yikes: :attention:

I got to take Snoop out last night and do some crawling. I'm minus some stuff, but I think it's time to get his feet wet at the park. Plus, some TTORA guys will be there to pull me off the trail should something break.

The thing I'm most worried about is that it seems like my alternator isn't charging the battery. It dies when it finally runs out of juice. BOoooooo.....

So, here's the new list:

- Rear drive shaft
- Rear leaf work - pinion shims, add overload
- Front alignment
- Tranny tunnel
- Rework current t-case crossmember - new FROR plate won't work.
- Trim fenders for big meats... : >)

Holla' if you need something - 501/617-3282 

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Man, Marlinland must be vacant. With big news like a maiden voyage after 18 months, I would think that at least ONE person would comment... Yet nothing...  :headscratch:

Snoop did really well on his first run. Started out with an overheating alternator and a small pinhole leak in his radiator. We jigged up a ground from the block to the frame to see if that would help keep it cool. Dennis tells me that his ran hot for a while, so he ran body to frame, frame to engine block grounds on both sides and that cleared up the heat. I'll be doing that shortly.

I don't have pics, as my camera died. We did several fours and a couple threes. Had sprinkled a little, so the trails were harder than normal. Overall, I'm very pleased with Snoop's performance.

Today, I took Snoop to the exhaust shop and had them put in a nice new muffler and exhaust that exits right above the rear axle with a turn down. It's tucked up nice and neat.

I have several things to do on Snoop, still, but I don't have the list.

Five brownie points to whoever posts up first to let me know that Marlinland still cares  :therethere:            Ha ha!!!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Man, Marlinland must be vacant. With big news like a maiden voyage after 18 months, I would think that at least ONE person would comment... Yet nothing...  :headscratch:

We need wheelin pics to comment on! :popcorn:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
I don't have pics, as my camera died.

A friend took pics and vids, so I'll link to them when they're up.

Five brownie points to whoever posts up first to let me know that Marlinland still cares  :therethere:            Ha ha!!!
DTB is the WINNER! I'll gaypal over 5 brownie points right now!!!  :smooch:   

:gap:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
DTB is the WINNER! I'll gaypal over 5 brownie points right now!!!  :smooch:   

:gap:
Aye, I just took your only turtle point so we'll call it even :yupyup:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Haha! Great story for ya...

So, I kinda threw together another rear d-shaft for Saturday's run. I knew it was a little short after I built it, but I prayed it would make it through the day. I wheeled all Saturday on it fine. Then, yesterday I went bouncing around for about 30 seconds next to my house and I hear a bang. It was weird at first, but thanks to my Fred Flintstone tranny tunnel, I quickly realized the rear shaft had pulled apart. I wheeled back to the house in 4wd after taking the rear shaft out. Lesson learned - make your drive shaft the right dang size...

Today I tweeked my steering stops and drag link length. I'm much happier with the steering capabilities. I'm still perplexed, though, as it seems that I still have more "turn" in my box when my knuckles stop. It actually pulls the axle to one side when the knuckles and steering stops kick in. Is that normal?

Thanks to friends, I avoided a novice mistake. I was reading through my Toyota Factory Service Manual (FSM) and read something about part of the steering box requiring gear oil. I panicked thinking I had run the box dry for a long time. So, I called Glen and Dennis and they confirmed that the box only required power steering fluid (ATF) as I had been running and suspected. I guess the FSM thought I had a manual gear box or something... I don't know...

Worked on cooling off the alternator by putting in more grounds. I was able to redo the battery cable to body, body to engine block. Now I need to do the other side and do frame to body, body to block, block to frame. I don't want anymore issues with heat. How does the alternator transfer the negative electricity it creates? Is it grounded on the case? That would mean that I need to ground on the alternator bracket (bottom bolt) to the block and frame. Then just tie in the body.

I took Snoop on the road today briefly, and I can definitely tell I need shocks in the rear. I know many people don't, but I'm looking for info. on running a sway bar up front. I think I might be able to get the factory bar to work, but I don't know. Any thoughts on front or rear sway bar?

Sorry I don't have any pics and that my post is quite lengthy. I'll link up pics as soon as they're available.

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Oh, and John Doe, PM with how much you'd like for your shocks mounts. I still might have use for them  :thumbs:

EDIT: NVM. Did some stalking and see that you sold them... :down:
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2009, 12:52:09 AM by Jordan7118 »

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile

Today I tweeked my steering stops and drag link length. I'm much happier with the steering capabilities. I'm still perplexed, though, as it seems that I still have more "turn" in my box when my knuckles stop. It actually pulls the axle to one side when the knuckles and steering stops kick in. Is that normal?

Thanks to friends, I avoided a novice mistake. I was reading through my Toyota Factory Service Manual (FSM) and read something about part of the steering box requiring gear oil. I panicked thinking I had run the box dry for a long time. So, I called Glen and Dennis and they confirmed that the box only required power steering fluid (ATF) as I had been running and suspected. I guess the FSM thought I had a manual gear box or something... I don't know...
 I know many people don't, but I'm looking for info. on running a sway bar up front. I think I might be able to get the factory bar to work, but I don't know. Any thoughts on front or rear sway bar?

Sorry I don't have any pics and that my post is quite lengthy. I'll link up pics as soon as they're available.
......yes..this is normal...the box turns more than your knuckles do....

Yup...ATF only.....power steering fluid will make your box leak

Crawlers don't have sway bars....I have never seen one or heard of anyone running one...They limit flex in a major way. If your truck is set up right you should never need one
RIP KYOTA

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
Yea, sorry I sold those brackets already.

Good to hear some progress. Cant wait for the pics. Let me know how that ford gas tank works out for you, that is something I've been looking at for a while.

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Good to hear some progress. Cant wait for the pics. Let me know how that ford gas tank works out for you, that is something I've been looking at for a while.

Man, I love the gas tank! It beats the crap outta the saddle bag. In retrospect, it wasn't terribly hard to figure out and mount. I humped some rocks on Saturday that would've destroyed the saddle bag tank. I didn't worry once about the Ford tank. Down the road I may bob the 'Runner and incorporate a skid over the tank.

Look back a couple pages to see how I mounted the tank. It came from a Ford F-150 with a 302 (5.0). I'm really happy with it. The only thing I may do is pull out the pump to bend the fuel gauge float arm backwards so that the Toyota gauge on my dash is compatible with the Ford sender.

Let me know if you have any more questions  :thumbs:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Crawlers don't have sway bars....I have never seen one or heard of anyone running one...They limit flex in a major way. If your truck is set up right you should never need one

What if my truck ISN'T set up right?  :dunno: I hope that once I get shocks in the rear and 35s on rims and balanced that it'll drive well, but what if it doesn't?  :headscratch:

In Top Truck Challenge this year, there was a CJ with a diesel engine and 49 Iroks that used a sway bar in front. He kept it attached even in the rocks. It had enough "give" to not limit his flex.

Sparked the idea of using a sway bar with disconnects. My friend's Jeep has a sway bar with disconnects. You can feel the difference when it's not connected on the road.

So, I agree that a sway bar isn't for a dedicated crawler, but I really wanna be able to drive it on the road  :rivers:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
One more thing (I'm on a posting frenzy today...  :bananapc:  )

I'm looking for a tire groover. If you know of anyone in Fayetteville, Hot Springs, or anywhere near or between please let me know.   :crossed:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
post padder :haha:

how did you know the alt was overheating ??  was it smoking??

ive not had a sway bar under my truck since about a month after i got it, aka 14 years

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
Man, I love the gas tank! It beats the crap outta the saddle bag. In retrospect, it wasn't terribly hard to figure out and mount. I humped some rocks on Saturday that would've destroyed the saddle bag tank. I didn't worry once about the Ford tank. Down the road I may bob the 'Runner and incorporate a skid over the tank.

Look back a couple pages to see how I mounted the tank. It came from a Ford F-150 with a 302 (5.0). I'm really happy with it. The only thing I may do is pull out the pump to bend the fuel gauge float arm backwards so that the Toyota gauge on my dash is compatible with the Ford sender.

Let me know if you have any more questions  :thumbs:

I'll be picking your brain later when I get to this my self.

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
how did you know the alt was overheating ??  was it smoking??

I started checking out the alternator to see if it was working and realized the plug had come undone. So, I plugged it in. I started up the engine, then the alternator belt started squealing. I turned it off and tightened the belt. Then, later it started smoking. The power steering pump leaked some fluid, and now that the alternator was plugged in, it was burning off the fluid. That's when I knew it was getting hot.

So, I'm gonna throw on some more grounds and see what happens.

I'll be picking your brain later when I get to this my self.

Please do. It is one of the better mods I have. Beats the crap outta the saddle bag.

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
:worthless:

Poop... You win this round...  :boxing:

I'll post up pics as soon as I can.

Any special pic requests?  :dunno:  Probably can't help ya out until I go back to Hot Springs and take pics myself of Snoop's physical self, but offroading pics should be coming soon  :crossed: