Author Topic: Project Snoopy: 85 4Runna - Rebuild 1.0  (Read 155153 times)

LilChief87

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 917
  • Member since Jul '08
  • When in doubt Romp it out
    • View Profile
Re: Project Snoopy: 85 4Runna - New Bumpers
« Reply #600 on: Jul 11, 2009, 05:09:20 PM »
you still planning on running the cage?

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: Jul 11, 2009, 07:15:30 PM »
you still planning on running the cage?

At some point that would be nice, but right now I'm just trying to get it ready for TTORA Takeover in August. I have to mount sliders, get the winch to work, wired, and roped up, not to mention redo the front timing cover for the third time... Eff my life on that one. Breaking a timing chain sucks. I vow to not break another... haha!!!

Exo will come in time. Right now I have to get it ready to wheel.

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #602 on: Jul 11, 2009, 07:33:31 PM »
Good luck on not breaking another. I really hope I can make it to Takeover. I want to see your Runner in person, you've done a great job!
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: Jul 11, 2009, 08:05:28 PM »
Good luck on not breaking another. I really hope I can make it to Takeover. I want to see your Runner in person, you've done a great job!

Thanks, man! It's really not much to look at, but it's getting better. He really shines in the crawling. That's where he's most impressive, me thinks.

As for the timing cover, I tore it all down and put it all back together a couple weekends ago. Then, I started it up and it sounded like something was rubbing. So, I tore it all down last Thursday night, put it all back together, started it up, sounded real rough but I accepted it, and then it blew oil out the lower passenger side. I neglected to clean off the old gaskets and stuff.

I think I'm going to get a new timing cover. I didn't take the cover all the way off to clean it because the threads that connect the driver side heater pipe are boogered and I didn't want to have issues with putting it back together. I think I'll just get a "new" cover (local guy has one), clean it up real nice, and then put it back on. FUN TIMES!!! Haha!!  My bad...

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #604 on: Jul 11, 2009, 08:32:52 PM »
well sounds like you learned your lesson. I learned 1 today too, check clutch fluid regularly.  :smack:

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

Doable

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: Jul 11, 2009, 08:53:25 PM »
Man, Great find on the rear bumper, what luck !. Front bumper is looking sweet also. Now get it running good enough so we can go wheeling  :greengrin:
Nothing puts a smlie on my face like the green glow of 4x4 on the dash !
BSLCA.com

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: Jul 12, 2009, 03:46:44 AM »
Man, Great find on the rear bumper, what luck !. Front bumper is looking sweet also. Now get it running good enough so we can go wheeling  :greengrin:

Yep  yep! I've got some parts to return to you when you come for Takeover! Thanks again for that help. Wish the fix were that simple... Oops!

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #607 on: Aug 11, 2009, 04:15:31 PM »
So where is your trip report?

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: Aug 12, 2009, 07:34:16 PM »
Gosh, I wheeled like a mad man.

Ran a lot of trails, flopped once (it was sweet), cared less about body damage, met some great people, laughed a lot, slept little, and wheeled until I couldn't anymore.

Check out this thread for some words and pictures
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138305

Wish you could've come, man  :(

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #609 on: Aug 12, 2009, 08:41:15 PM »
Yea, I really wanted to go  :down:

The pics look great. Glad you had a great time.

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Re: Project Snoopy: 85 4Runna - Rebuild 1.0
« Reply #610 on: Sep 21, 2009, 12:24:37 AM »
Just a little update for ya.

I took Snoop to the TTORA Takeover and had a blast. I now have a couple problems...

Snoop has a nice n' nasty gangster lean to the passenger side. I think I bent a spring on my last trip. I had to throttle on one spot too much and think that might be the cause.

So now I'd like to do some rebuilding. Here's what I'm thinking:

Body / Armor
[/size]

- Bob ~ 12" off the back and put on a pickup tailgate and end. I don't use the window anyways, and I'd like to trim the bottom up.

- Rock rails / sliders - 2"x6" square tube to replace rocker panels. I might take them up further, but I'm not sure the extra work is worth the couple extra inches clearance. People run sliders with great results. I would like to put a small "boatside" effect to it. The 2x6 will give me a good platform to mount and exo when the time comes... and it needs to come soon  :smack:

- Tranny tunnel - If I do the rock rails, I could make a sub-frame to mount my seats and free up some more space for a tranny tunnel. I really need to put sheetmetal over that stuff, as it gets really hot over time. So hot I can just about not take it.

- Full belly skid - need to protect my cases now  :smack: I have the metal, just need to do it. Should I run UHMW and a lighter backing plate??? I hear that stuff is the shiznit!

Suspension

- Front - springs need to be pulled and examined. New bushings, probably. Take out anti-wrap spring and put in one with less arch.

- Rear - pull these springs apart as well. new bushings probably needed. Will run Toyota bushings, as they seem to be a straight swap with F150s. Would like to do a pivot-block on the perch. French in front spring hangers, and sink rear spring hangers into frame or put on top of rail. ANTI-WRAP BAR is much needed. Will figure that out after I redo the springs.

Gas tank

- F150 gas tank might have to go. It's too big for a trail-only vehicle. I think I only use about 5 gallons a day wheeling, so this baby is just too much for me. Might build a cell like Mossyrocks did, or I might buy a small 10 gallon cell and put it where the current tank is. Just too much...

Winch

- have had some trouble with my synthetic. Not sure if I'm going to pull it off and run cable (got brand new steel cable for free...) or take off SKY's UHMW hawse fairlead (it's crap...) and replace with aluminum. Just don't know...

Post up your thoughts!

« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2009, 07:39:44 PM by Jordan7118 »

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #611 on: Sep 23, 2009, 08:47:25 PM »
everything sounds good to me, epically the work to the rear springs. I would gladly take that Gas tank set up off your hands  :wink2:

The new protection sounds great!

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: Sep 23, 2009, 09:51:40 PM »
everything sounds good to me, epically the work to the rear springs. I would gladly take that Gas tank set up off your hands  :wink2:

The new protection sounds great!

Thanks! I'd love to help you with a gas tank install, but I think this one is going to a friend of mine when it comes out. Sorry, man  :(

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #613 on: Sep 24, 2009, 12:03:47 PM »
Its all good man.

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: Sep 29, 2009, 04:01:06 PM »
SOooo....

Marlin Land... What's up??

Here's some thoughts from those on the ARTTORA board for ya to ponder if ya like...

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141568

And some pics for your entertainment!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #615 on: Sep 29, 2009, 07:18:46 PM »
man that grey one is SO CLEAN!

[big]DO IT!!!![/big]
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: Oct 26, 2009, 01:27:40 AM »
Finally got some work done this weekend. Long post, I apologize...

I do a lot of lookin' and thinkin'. When I finally got around to looking at what I had, I just said "eff it, I'll make this work."

To note, I only got one slider and fender cut done. I do slow, deliberate work. It's what my mom call's "over analysis paralysis".

From the crossmember project, I had about 16 feet left of 1.5" x 4" x.120 wall tube. I decided to make this work. I also had some 1.5" x 1.5" x.120 wall tube, and I thought that would make good legs.

Here's the final product (for now). I'll explain what I did after the pic.

I cut up to the door line for the 1.5" legs to fit up as high as possible. I cut legs at a 45* angle to meet the large tube. This gave the big tube a downward 45* slope, as I thought that would be the best angle to rub 'dem rocks. I also put a 55* angle on the end caps for some good rubbin'.

I have a 4 legs in total, and I was able to weld all the way around the legs. I didn't use a scab plate for these legs, but I think they'll be okay. Michael Faber mentioned tying these legs off to the body mounts, and I may still do that.

After looking at the rock rail further, I'm thinking about putting some 1.5" tube from near the bottom of the frame angled up to where the 1.5" meets the big tube, and then attaching a plate for more sliding. This wouldn't be much more trouble, would add triangulation, and would keep stuff from getting under the pinch weld. The pinch weld is now the lowest point aside from the 4" tube. I'll wheel and see if it's necessary.

I used Rustoleum Hammered paint from a can. I applied with a roller, and I really like the finish. It seems tough enough for what I'm about to do to it, and touch ups will be a breeze. Highly recommended.

More pics:

I scuffed the rocker panel and sprayed it black before putting on the slider. Hard to tell, but this pic is the best for seeing it.

The worst of the four bottom welds. I got good penetration, though, on all the rest.

For the rear fender work, I'm thinking about bending some tube around that and attaching to the slider for a clean look. Plus, sheetmetal work is a pain in the ass, I can already feel it...  I left a small amount of the outer fenderwell to lap weld in the new sheet.

Also, a buddy and I put on an aluminum fairlead last week. Looks like I'll be runing synthetic still :cool: I ordered some more crimps to lock up the cable again. I liked how that looked last time, so I'll try it again.

I have a friend selling a bender with a 1 5/8" die (I know, I know... who the hell uses 1 5/8" tube... It's what we can get around here readily... and it's what die he has). Hopefully I can pick it up for a good price. Any recommendations for price on a JD2 model 3, degree ring, stand, handle and 1 5/8 x 180* die? I have an idea, but looking for reinforcement.

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #617 on: Oct 26, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
Looks Good, I like the sliders.

You plan on moving the rear axle back?

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: Oct 26, 2009, 05:16:58 PM »
Looks Good, I like the slid

You plan on moving the rear axle back?

Thanks!

I plan to put the rear axle back to where it was - centered in the wheelwell. It's floating around right now waiting for the frenched hanger and spring rebuild.

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #619 on: Oct 26, 2009, 05:32:11 PM »
I saw that it wasnt connected currently, but wasnt sure. I am dreading doing my rear fenders.

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: Oct 26, 2009, 05:37:03 PM »
I am dreading doing my rear fenders.
Yea, I'm not looking forward to it. Sheetmetal or tube - either way, it's gonna be rough  :outtahere:

SloCrawler

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 1,333
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60800.msg856812#msg856812
« Reply #621 on: Nov 10, 2009, 11:56:37 AM »
Nice build. Im debating if I need to run my f150 springs backward or not. I imagine more flex running them regular?

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: Nov 10, 2009, 12:05:06 PM »
Nice build. Im debating if I need to run my f150 springs backward or not. I imagine more flex running them regular?

I believe opposite.

One way you have 25" connecting the axle to frame. The other way, you have 32" connecting axle to frame. Just like the Long Arm vs Short Arm control arm debate, I believe the "backwards" mount gives a 7" longer arm, if you will, to allow for more movement.

To make the point. Think of mounting a 12" long arm to the axle versus 48" long arm. The 48" arm will allow more movement through it's range of motion.

I hope that makes sense. If not, I'll try again. That's all my theory behind it, and I believe it holds true.

timmaytoyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: Nov 10, 2009, 02:14:29 PM »
nice i always liked your build, a little frontier 4x4 inspiration :biggthumpup:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: Nov 10, 2009, 03:12:03 PM »
Thank ya  :beerchug:

Frontier4x4 does some good work. I like the tube on their 4Runner. I plan to use some lines and adjust some others...

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: Nov 10, 2009, 03:29:53 PM »
i like those sliders they came out nice.   :thumbs: just to let you know putting the double cv joint on the t-case side of your rear driveline will fix those grinding and vibration noises. i finally got one on mine and it made a huge difference, no more noises at all  :beerchug:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: Nov 10, 2009, 04:10:13 PM »
i like those sliders they came out nice.   :thumbs: just to let you know putting the double cv joint on the t-case side of your rear driveline will fix those grinding and vibration noises. i finally got one on mine and it made a huge difference, no more noises at all  :beerchug:

Thanks! I hope the sliders do well.

Yea, I've been meaning to do the CV rear shaft, but it's been kind of a low priority since this is a trailer queen.

timmaytoyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: Nov 11, 2009, 06:02:25 AM »
bobbed 4runners are the shiznit post up when you get started

i really wanted to go to that ttora event at hot springs back in aug. but i didn't get tdone with current suspension mods in time :shake_head:

i am headed out his weekend for for ttora event at hidden falls in TX  :king:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: Nov 11, 2009, 10:31:37 AM »
I'll post up when I get that far  :smack:

Have fun at the TXTTORA event!!  :beerchug:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: Nov 24, 2009, 11:44:26 AM »
Went to Cass, Arkansas (Byrd's Adventure Center) this weekend. Had a great time with the ARTTORA crew. Always a pleasure hangin' with them.

Snoop only had a couple minor setbacks. Towards the end of the first day, he started draining t-case gear oil out the back. Wasn't really worried, as I thought it was just the t-case mount needing to be tightened. Tightened it the next morning, put in some more oil, and it still seemed to come out the rear output... But then going down steep steep hills it came out the tranny shifter base  ??? I hope to make a different t-case mount sometime soon.

Now for the pics...  From - http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj168/Jordan7118/Cass%20Nov%2021%2009/

Mud sux....

"Pure Hell" - most challenging non-vertical crawl yet...

Lower section

Upper section