Author Topic: Project Snoopy: 85 4Runna - Rebuild 1.0  (Read 158262 times)

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
I've been looking into a Ford gas tank for under the rear. I'm thinking it may save me some time and still accomplish the same thing by using one of them. Rockyot used one in his build. They're pretty wide and thin. Good thing I just bought a lot of 14 and 16 gauge sheet metal...  :smack:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
I tried to reinvent the wheel today... and like many other genius ideas I have  :think: they're epic fails...

I thought, "You know, I'll use some schedule 80 sleeves for the through-frame bracing on the crossmembers. It'll be stronger. Yea! Sweet!"

So I looked up the dimensions of the sch. 40 and sch. 80 1/2" pipe on line. That's where the thought should've died. I did it anyway, and got some sch. 80 1/2" pipe from the local steel yard... and payed out the butt for it.

Then, upon further research. I'd only be able to use at most a 7/16" through bolt with the sch. 80. I thought the sleeves would be tighter on 1/2" bolts, but they're too tight to fit the bolts. However, the sch. 40 pipe will allow a 9/16" or 5/8" bolt and be much stronger. I should've known from my engineering days that most of the load is trying to push the pipe together (won't happen) instead of trying to shear through the wall  :hammerhead:

I went out to Snoop tonight and did some more work on the t-case mount. I plasma'd out some more metal so I can tuck it higher for mock up. I need to start the through frame sleeves for the crossmember. I'm looking forward to it now that I've learned how to use a hole saw properly (step drill THEN use the hole saw  :beerwhack:)

Big week for me, so I'm not sure when I'll be back out there. I'm keepin' my fingers crossed for Friday night  :crossed:
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2008, 10:26:27 PM by Jordan7118 »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
yes  find a  ford  pickup with twin tanks,  the rear tank  fits  good  where the yota  spare went
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
 :thud:

I've got to stop getting carried away at the shop...  :idiot:

I rolled the single beadlocked tire to the front and mounted it up. It looks pretty swell, me thinks, and I'm really surprised how far forward the tire sits. The quick air down works very well, and I was surprised the tire was at 3 psi in the pic  :o

Then, I worked on the t-case mount. I think I have that squared away. Like all things, I had to redo it several times because I had too much bushing length for the crossmember. I cut the bushings (rubber) and got it all up in my hair and face. I just got out of the shower, and 45 minutes later using soap, shampoo, and a washcloth in my hair, I think I've escaped getting a buzz haircut  :ack:

I was able to get the frame plates mounted, and I'll put the sleeves in tomorrow. Work is slow, but I'm apparently detail-oriented... or just slow  :screwy:

Hopefully, I'll wake up and go finish up some stuff. We'll see how that goes...  :nerv:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
to get that rubber out of your hair  and clothes  soak it with WD40,  it   does something to the rubber  so it dont stick

works great

:woohoo:   you might be done soon  :aaa:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
:woohoo:   you might be done soon  :aaa:

Don't hold your breath... :brick:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
 :yupyup: :yupyup: :yupyup:

We'll see how it goes. No promises, but I'd like to be rolling pretty soon. I need to have the crossmember, gas tank, radiator, and battery in before we think about rolling. Then brakes (kind of important...) need to happen...

Got a lot of stuff to do, but we're eating an elephant here - one bite at a time  :yesnod:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
EAT WITH BOTH  HANDS 

:chew:

Doable

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
:yupyup: :yupyup: :yupyup:

We'll see how it goes. No promises, but I'd like to be rolling pretty soon. I need to have the crossmember, gas tank, radiator, and battery in before we think about rolling. Then brakes (kind of important...) need to happen...

Got a lot of stuff to do, but we're eating an elephant here - one bite at a time  :yesnod:

one bit at a time.... That there is funny. It looks to be a great build. Can't wait to see it once it's finished .I know it's some where in the 8 pages but what are the springs on the front axle from? Oh and  :beerchug: keep wrenching on it i can see progress being made.
Nothing puts a smlie on my face like the green glow of 4x4 on the dash !
BSLCA.com

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
The springs on the front at from my 85 4Runner rear pack mixed with an 83 truck rear pack (bottom 3).

Main leaf - 83 main
2nd leaf - 83 2nd
3rd leaf - 83 3rd
4th - 85
5th - 85
6th - 85
7th - anti-wrap top leaf - forward only

I can't remember exactly where I pulled from on the 85 pack, but I cut them down to 3.5" shorter on each side of the next spring.

How's your project goin', Albert? I'm looking forward to seeing ya in Hot Springs  :driving:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
I haven't taken the weekend off, I promise.

I went to Memphis today to get the other tires - got a deal on 4 like-new 38.5 SXs, and one 75% 38.5 SX. I'll mount 'em up soon.

I'm going to get an F-150 rear tank tomorrow. Hopefully it's what I want. I'll post up when I know more.

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
I haven't taken the weekend off, I promise.

I went to Memphis today to get the other tires - got a deal on 4 like-new 38.5 SXs, and one 75% 38.5 SX. I'll mount 'em up soon.

I'm going to get an F-150 rear tank tomorrow. Hopefully it's what I want. I'll post up when I know more.
And you didn't drop in to say hi? :down:
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
And you didn't drop in to say hi? :down:
:smack:  I didn't think I was close to you. How close was I? Crud...  :tantrum: I'm sorry, Michael. I feel bad now...  :-\

The tires made it home safely, and I was able to get the right tank. I went there today, and the guy told me he couldn't get it out last night because the exhaust was in the way and he didn't wanna wake the neighbors cutting it out at night. I almost left with a spare tank he had from a carb'd Ford, but then I said, "Hey, why can't we take it out now?" And we did...

I finally got home tonight with the 5 tires, two tanks (one full of gas  :sneeze: ) and the four straps Ford uses to bolt up the tank. Soon I'll fab it into place.

No REAL progress this weekend, though, and I'll be gone next weekend to St. Louis for "business". No parts, though  :down: Oh well... Maybe I'll go see DTB!!!!  :phone:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Casa DTB  :woohoo:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
:smack:  I didn't think I was close to you. How close was I? Crud...  :tantrum: I'm sorry, Michael. I feel bad now...  :-\

It just depends on which way you traveled. If you took 40 then you werent even close. Don't feel bad I was just giving you some greif.  :therethere:

I'd like to see a pic of that tank when ya get one, I don't recall ever seeing any good pics before.

my favorite places:

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
I think 40, but I'm not sure. Whatever runs from LR to Memphis. You tell me  :headscratch:

The tank is thinner ('bout 9 inches deep) and wide. It fits nicely behind the rear axle.

I saw something cool the other day I thought I'd mention. People are putting VW diesel engines from Jettas in their trucks. Acme makes an adapter to mate up to a W-series, so me thinks that would work to bolt up to the Turbo tranny as well. If time only grew on trees... Right next to the money tree as well  :haha:  :yupyup:  :rofl2:

Have a great week!

EDIT: Link to VW in Toyota stuff - http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574419

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Cross your fingers and hold your breath  :inthedark:

I hope to go see the little pile I know as Snoop today. I tried to go camping last night but ended up rained out. Slept under a Jeep with a trap draped over it for all of 30 minutes last night. I'm quite tired  :sleepy: but I think I'm going to suck it up and go see the Pup. I haven't been out there in forever it seems, but today is Dead Day, and the mood is right  :eyebrow:

I'll post up the accomplishments. Again, don't hold your breath...  :willynilly:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Finally got out to see Snoop tonight.

Flat pitman came in. It fits and works nice. I need to grind 1/16" or so on the frame for it to clear the top of the drag link end. I think it'll turn out nice.

Then started work on mounting up tires. Realized I never finished grinding, painting on the last rim, so only got two tires done. This brings the total to 3 on beadlocks now. I put them on Snoop, and it looks real fly  :afro2:

I'd like to be able to take Snoop home with me in a couple weeks, and here's what needs to happen before he does:
- Gas tank
      - Mockup / install
      - Plumb
      - Troubleshoot (if needed)
- Transfer case mounts / flat belly skid
- Rear drive shaft shortened w/ 2.5" sch. 40
- Tranny tunnel constructed
- Steering shaft reinforced
- Brakes bled
- Fluids put in tranny, t-cases, diffs

I'm probably forgetting something, but this is the ABSOLUTE minimum I'll accept before I go home with the Pup. I could do just the t-case mount and not the flatbelly, but I need to just get it out of the way. I also need to wire up the rear locker (have harness) and figure out how to plumb the ARB / mount the compressor and harness. I've come a ways, but I'm not in the clear yet  :smack:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Welp, the time has come for Snoop to go home, and I've honestly gotten none of the aforementioned complete.  :ack: Time's up, so he's got to go as is. I'm thinking I at least need brakes and steering, so I'll work on that. If not, we'll just roll with the punches :boxing: Wish things were different, but this is how it goes  ::)

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
Welp, the time has come for Snoop to go home, and I've honestly gotten none of the aforementioned complete.  :ack: Time's up, so he's got to go as is. I'm thinking I at least need brakes and steering, so I'll work on that. If not, we'll just roll with the punches :boxing: Wish things were different, but this is how it goes  ::)

Mabye now youll see the dog more often and actually make some progress. 4 months till I see ya in september, and ya had better be driving this Pregnant dog!

my favorite places:

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
Love your build. Im partial to the 4 runner  :biggthumpup:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Mabye now youll see the dog more often and actually make some progress. 4 months till I see ya in september, and ya had better be driving this Pregnant dog!
Yep, then I'll have no excuse not to work, and I'll have an excuse to get my own welder. :flamer:

Love your build. Im partial to the 4 runner  :biggthumpup:

Thanks! I really am a fan of your buildup. I remember reading through it all about a year ago or so... Sweet!  :love:

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
Thanks.

Ive been absent for awhile. Been really busy with my own business and family and stuff.

But I will be making a big appearance soon, You'll See.

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
I will be making a big appearance soon, You'll See.

Good to hear! It's been a while since I've looked over your thread, and I think I read it on Pirate. Now I can't remember. Regardless, I think I'll take a peek again.

In preparation for moving, I put the front seats in. I have maybe 1/2" of clearance between the t-cases and the driver's seat, and the pass seat won't go in because the FROR-like crossmember hits the slider under the seat. I'm going to have to cut the crossmember a little, but I don't think I'll lose enough strength to matter. Plus, it is 1/2" plate.

I think his belly will be around 26" with fully inflated tires, so that's pretty good. I don't have to take a running start to get in, and I'm a fan of that.

I'm looking forward to getting him to his new home. I plan to make the trip tomorrow, but it really all comes down to how long it takes me to get him loaded. No brakes, no steering, plus I'm not even sure I can get a trailer in there... This is gonna be sweet!

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 499
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
You moving it back to Hot Springs for the summer? That's close enough that some of us could come and stand around and watch you work.  :joke:

You gotta get this thing ready for our big event in September, you already missed last years!  :greengrin:
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
You moving it back to Hot Springs for the summer? That's close enough that some of us could come and stand around and watch you work.  :joke:

You gotta get this thing ready for our big event in September, you already missed last years!  :greengrin:
and eat :popcorn:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile

and eat :popcorn:

Man, with gas the way it is, we really need to stay home and figure out this whole teleportation biznass...  :adoration: :bananapc:

If ever you're in Hot Springs, I probably will be and you're welcome to hang with me. I don't care what you do. Working on my junk gets lonely, and often I do more sittin' and thinkin' than fabbin' and fixin'. I guess that's how it goes... I'm S...L...O...W... when it comes to doing stuff. I just don't wanna mess anything up. I'm still a Toyota Virgin, I guess.  :bolt:

Seriously, I'll be more able to help you hookers out during the summer. I can finally get Glen some attention and parts, and hopefully I'll be able to help myself, too. If you come across a nice little MIG let me know. I'll be in the market  8)

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Just a little update...

I was able to get the Dogg home and situated. Trailer shook and wanted to throw me off the rode all night. I left Fayetteville around 9:30 and made it to Hot Springs around 2:30 AM  :thud:   I think I loaded the trailer down with too much stuff for the truck to handle, which is why it was so tough to tow. Top speed was 55 MPH.

I went wheeling this weekend, and man was it a good time. I went with a friend who just built up a Jeep, and he definitely isn't used to a manual and crawlin'. First hill we came to was almost a roll. I think I  :pokinit: myself...  Ended up breaking a u-joint and rounding the ears on the stub, so we spent a couple hours getting that fixed. Spent a couple more hours on the trail, then he went home. I hung out with the 'Yota guys that night. Then Sunday morning, I went out with Dennis, Mark, and some other 'Yotas. I felt sorry for the Jeep on 42s that broke a chromoly stub in his 44 front on an obstacle Dennis crawled up  :yupyup: Poor Jeeps... Really, I did feel sorry for him, cuz it was a nice Jeep.

I plan to be in Hot Springs for good after this weekend. I'm looking at little MIGs, and I'm hoping to get one as soon as I work a week and am able to pay it off. Maybe I can get a loan from the parents  :eyebrow:

Hope you all had a wonderful and safe Memorial weekend. Remember the real reason for the Holiday  :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
Just a little update...

I was able to get the Dogg home and situated. Trailer shook and wanted to throw me off the rode all night. I left Fayetteville around 9:30 and made it to Hot Springs around 2:30 AM  :thud:   I think I loaded the trailer down with too much stuff for the truck to handle, which is why it was so tough to tow. Top speed was 55 MPH.

I went wheeling this weekend, and man was it a good time. I went with a friend who just built up a Jeep, and he definitely isn't used to a manual and crawlin'. First hill we came to was almost a roll. I think I  :pokinit: myself...  Ended up breaking a u-joint and rounding the ears on the stub, so we spent a couple hours getting that fixed. Spent a couple more hours on the trail, then he went home. I hung out with the 'Yota guys that night. Then Sunday morning, I went out with Dennis, Mark, and some other 'Yotas. I felt sorry for the Jeep on 42s that broke a chromoly stub in his 44 front on an obstacle Dennis crawled up  :yupyup: Poor Jeeps... Really, I did feel sorry for him, cuz it was a nice Jeep.

I plan to be in Hot Springs for good after this weekend. I'm looking at little MIGs, and I'm hoping to get one as soon as I work a week and am able to pay it off. Maybe I can get a loan from the parents  :eyebrow:

Hope you all had a wonderful and safe Memorial weekend. Remember the real reason for the Holiday  :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

That is Dennis your refering too after all. That boy knows how to crawl, and is an expert on those Superlift trails. He knows every line like the back of his hand, hell I would too if I were at the park every other weekend. That was Brendan with yall in the red 3rd gen right?

my favorite places: