Author Topic: Project Snoopy: 85 4Runna - Rebuild 1.0  (Read 156010 times)

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Re: Project Snoopy: 85 4Runna
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2007, 04:50:23 PM »
 :haha:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2007, 05:09:25 PM »
I'm on the fence  :wiggle:

Should I buy a normal adapter or rotated? Either a MC-07 or a MC-07 R10. Both 23 spline

Rotated:
   Pros:
    - More clearance under 4wd section (front)
    - Possibility for flat belly
    - Uhh... FLAT BELLY!!!
   Cons:
    - Cut up some stuff - tranny tunnel, seat mounts - all possibilities I'm told
    - Shifter is at an odd angle - bend it (DuH)
    - Mounting may be limited to a t-case (FROR style) mount or crawlbox mount

Normal
    Pros:
     - Run with less mods to floor boards, tranny tunnel, etc.
     - Might be able to tuck drive train higher due to less interference on the passenger side
     - Already have the FROR crossmember mount and skids
     - Shifter is "normal"

Cons
     - Flatbelly is harder to achieve  :rivers:
     - No flatbelly? Why am I thinking of this option then...  :ha_ha:
     - Might go to rotated later, and why do something later you can do now (the first time...)
     - Sure there are other reasons not to...

I really am in love with the flatbelly idea, and I'm not in love with the idea of doing something over later.

Gittinit, what say you? Others with experience, PLEASE HELP!!!  :ack: It's making me  :willynilly:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 15, 2007, 12:01:17 PM »
Flat belly GOOD, low hanging cases BAD!
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 16, 2007, 03:05:02 AM »
Woooooow... real in-depth there...   :moon:

I guess that's basically what it comes down to.

I'm pondering a Roger Brown / 4crawlr 2" body lift. Before you tear me apart for that, let me tell ya why.  :phone:

2 inches is about the length of your thumb from tip to the second joint, so why would I even consider it for such a small gain? A body lift would allow me to tuck the drivetrain, even the motor, without too much hacking. Also, a BL would allow me to mount my sliders higher up so that I have a little more clearance under them and I'm into the middle section of the frame when mounting. Plus, I think it'll be a good complement to my lift and allow me to get a little more without putting my COG way up.

Any thoughts on the BL? I'm pretty set on getting a rotated case now due to Gittinit's eloquent argument  :rofl2:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:28:25 AM »
I'm on the fence  :wiggle:

Should I buy a normal adapter or rotated? Either a MC-07 or a MC-07 R10. Both 23 spline

Rotated:
   Pros:
    - More clearance under 4wd section (front)
    - Possibility for flat belly
    - Uhh... FLAT BELLY!!!
   Cons:
    - Cut up some stuff - tranny tunnel, seat mounts - all possibilities I'm told
    - Shifter is at an odd angle - bend it (DuH)
    - Mounting may be limited to a t-case (FROR style) mount or crawlbox mount

Normal
    Pros:
     - Run with less mods to floor boards, tranny tunnel, etc.
     - Might be able to tuck drive train higher due to less interference on the passenger side
     - Already have the FROR crossmember mount and skids
     - Shifter is "normal"

Cons
     - Flatbelly is harder to achieve  :rivers:
     - No flatbelly? Why am I thinking of this option then...  :ha_ha:
     - Might go to rotated later, and why do something later you can do now (the first time...)
     - Sure there are other reasons not to...

I really am in love with the flatbelly idea, and I'm not in love with the idea of doing something over later.

Gittinit, what say you? Others with experience, PLEASE HELP!!!  :ack: It's making me  :willynilly:
Woooooow... real in-depth there...   :moon:

I'm pondering a Roger Brown / 4crawlr 2" body lift. Before you tear me apart for that, let me tell ya why.  :phone:

2 inches is about the length of your thumb from tip to the second joint, so why would I even consider it for such a small gain? A body lift would allow me to tuck the drivetrain, even the motor, without too much hacking. Also, a BL would allow me to mount my sliders higher up so that I have a little more clearance under them and I'm into the middle section of the frame when mounting. Plus, I think it'll be a good complement to my lift and allow me to get a little more without putting my COG way up.

Any thoughts on the BL? I'm pretty set on getting a rotated case now due to Gittinit's eloquent argument  :rofl2:
I just did all this on mine;....Rotated MC07-R10 With twin stick (  :psss: available with 10* bend), Have body lift (2") with hand built sliders and 2" motor mount spacers from 4crawler and custom crossmember.  So far so good as far as fit is concerned at this point.  Just about done with the steering now and will be driveable soon!  :hyper:  Haven't driven it yet to work out any bugs but so far no signs of trouble to anticipate... :disturbed: :crossed:   check out my build and see what you think.  :gap:    http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=30323.0

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2007, 02:28:17 PM »
Woooooow... real in-depth there...   :moon:

3 inches is about the length of my middle finger fully extended.  :rofl2:

I Highly suggest you leave the body lift on the shelf if you can make it work without it. If you have to have the body lift I would only go as tall as absoutely nescissary, 1" or so. Your raising alot of wheight when you add a body lift, espically on a runner with a top, and all that glass up high. I would use some scrap 1" pices and leave the body loose to see if you can raise your cases enough with the rotated adapter. Cut out the tunnell and make it fit snug. Heck modify your seat mounts if ya have to but keep it low, and stable.  :twocents:

my favorite places:

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #36 on: Dec 16, 2007, 03:29:59 PM »
i never thought i would be  pro body lift,  but  if using  grade5 1/2 inch bolts   you are safe,  as  can be attested  by  my truck not  killing me

well and  Gittinits  sliders

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:13:43 PM »
:boobs:

looks good so far  :thumbs:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Dec 16, 2007, 09:17:57 PM »
I just did all this on mine;....Rotated MC07-R10 With twin stick (  :psss: available with 10* bend), Have body lift (2") with hand built sliders and 2" motor mount spacers from 4crawler and custom crossmember.  So far so good as far as fit is concerned at this point.  Just about done with the steering now and will be driveable soon!  :hyper:  Haven't driven it yet to work out any bugs but so far no signs of trouble to anticipate... :disturbed: :crossed:   check out my build and see what you think.  :gap:    http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=30323.0

I'll check that out here in a minute. I'm glad to see that I have pretty much a copy of what I want to do. Glad to hear it! Thanks for the link and the help!  :biggthumpup:

3 inches is about the length of my middle finger fully extended.  :rofl2:

I Highly suggest you leave the body lift on the shelf if you can make it work without it. If you have to have the body lift I would only go as tall as absoutely nescissary, 1" or so. Your raising alot of wheight when you add a body lift, espically on a runner with a top, and all that glass up high. I would use some scrap 1" pices and leave the body loose to see if you can raise your cases enough with the rotated adapter. Cut out the tunnell and make it fit snug. Heck modify your seat mounts if ya have to but keep it low, and stable.  :twocents:

Hmm... I'm thinking that it'd be nice to not run a body lift, but I'm also thinking that not hacking up my  :pokinit: my be worth it to have a BL

i never thought i would be  pro body lift,  but  if using  grade5 1/2 inch bolts   you are safe,  as  can be attested  by  my truck not  killing me

well and  Gittinits  sliders

Giggity giggity goo! (Quagmire from "Family Guy")

:boobs:

looks good so far  :thumbs:

Thank you, sir! I'll try to keep it coming.

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Dec 20, 2007, 11:52:19 AM »
Not much progress to note. I'm about to go to U-Pull-It in Cabot to see if they've got anything.

I'm too poor right now to pick up your springs, Glen, but I'll get on it when I do. Maybe we can do some tradin', as I know you love to do that... plus, you have a ton of parts!

I'm still lookin' into the body lift, but we'll see when we get there.

Next up on the agenda is to get the front axle rebuilt with the HP ARB third. I'm kinda wishin' I had an electric locker front, or an ARB rear - basically match my thirds. Either way, I'll run what I got until I've got reason to change it up  :biggthumpup:

Any more suggestions for me on BL vs. No BL???

I'm selling my 23 spline adapter with crawl box, so check it out in the classifieds. I'm moving to a rotated adapter and also a turbo crawlbox  :eyebrow:

I'll keep ya posted. Merry Christmas everyone! :santa: :crazyhappy: And Happy New Year!  :party:     

Doable

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Dec 20, 2007, 12:07:05 PM »
I know what mean about going for the flat belly. On the ride we just did I got hung up on the trans cross member other than that it was all good.......  and more of this  :flamer:     :clap: Merry Christmass  :santa:
Nothing puts a smlie on my face like the green glow of 4x4 on the dash !
BSLCA.com

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Dec 20, 2007, 02:12:08 PM »
Man, Albert, your ride's lookin' sweet!  :drooling: I'll try to get to workin' on it, but I won't be back up in Fayetteville 'til probably after the New Year. Therefore, I'll just be web-wheeling  :driving: :burnout: until then  :down: Oh well...

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Dec 20, 2007, 04:01:07 PM »
Man, Albert, your ride's lookin' sweet!  :drooling: I'll try to get to workin' on it, but I won't be back up in Fayetteville 'til probably after the New Year. Therefore, I'll just be web-wheeling  :driving: :burnout: until then  :down: Oh well...
that must mean your in Hotsprings  :eyebrow:
 wouldnt have a sawzall with you ??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Dec 20, 2007, 05:12:13 PM »
Sorry, Glen. I'm in Cabot right now, but I'll be back in Hot Springs tonight... and then I'm leaving for Kansas tomorrow morning... :driving:

Do you still need the F150 springs? I've found several sets at a U-Pull-It, and I'm wondering if you're still down for some trading. Let me know  :wave:

Merry Christmas, Glen! :beerchug:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Dec 20, 2007, 05:39:08 PM »
Sorry, Glen. I'm in Cabot right now, but I'll be back in Hot Springs tonight... and then I'm leaving for Kansas tomorrow morning... :driving:

Do you still need the F150 springs? I've found several sets at a U-Pull-It, and I'm wondering if you're still down for some trading. Let me know  :wave:

Merry Christmas, Glen! :beerchug:
yes  i still need them  and  yes  im down for some trading,  let me know what you need

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Dec 20, 2007, 05:41:38 PM »
I'm really not sure what I need, but I'll get those springs regardless. If nothing else, getting the springs will help ya out. We'll figure it out when it happens. I'll let ya know when I have 'em.  :gap:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Dec 20, 2007, 06:31:18 PM »
thanks Jordan,  :smooch:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Dec 25, 2007, 06:25:24 PM »
You're welcome, Glen. I hope to be able to get that done before New Year's. I'll call ya!  :wave:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:07:01 PM »
Welp, I think it's time for some updates.

No pics, but I got my RUFs assembled and ready to go on the front.

I've got a turbo bellhousing, tranny, and t-case coming. I'll convert the forward shift case to the crawlbox and put my 4.7 top shift case behind a new MC-07 R10  :drooling:

Then, I'm planning to make a flatbelly and t-case crossmember setup.

I have some money now, so I'll be ordering up some stuff soon. Hopefully I'll have some REAL  progress soon....

:beerchug:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Feb 06, 2008, 02:21:17 PM »
Been a while, huh?  :inthedark:

I've sold my 36 iroks, and I'm hoping to go bigger  :crossed: Had a line on some bigger tires, but couldn't justify throwin' the coin he wanted...

So, I'm still lookin' for bigger tires. I'm looking to run 38 - 40" tires, unless I get a wild hair and do 42s  :smack:

I've bought an 89 4Runner for the front hubs (buy the IFS hubs and get a free truck, eh???  :haha:) I'm still debating on whether to part it out or SAS and do a cheap rig (welded diffs, beater this, that, and the other...    :think: )

I'm still rounding up parts, so please bear with me. I've got school full-time, a part-time job, research, a g/f, and then this guy... I wish I could reverse those, but life could only be sooooo cool  :haha:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Feb 06, 2008, 03:30:03 PM »
Weres pics?  :weirdthread: do you really still own a toyota?  :psss:  Who r u again? Go away till you have some real progress punk!  :stopit:

I wanna see the parts truck? Want to do some trading? Does this 89 runner have a title?

my favorite places:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Feb 06, 2008, 04:58:14 PM »
:popcorn:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:36:18 PM »
My two loyal fans - Glen and Michael  :ladys-man:

Missed you guys  :yesnod:

I'm 99% sure the 'Runner doesn't have a title. If I part it out, I'll keep the doors, IFS bearing hubs and locking hubs, possibly the top, and then the rest I'll be sellin'. I'm really excited to get it rollin'.

I'm planning to do the 6 dowel pin upgrade from Hendrix motorsports, Long hub gear, SKY widening kit, full axle rebuild, hydro assist on the front axle. That's my next project to button up.

How thing's goin' for you, Michael?  :dunno: Haven't heard from ya in a while.

Tires - found a set of 44 gumbo mudders for the street...  :psss: (Maybe that's a bad idea...). If that doesn't fly, I've got 3 BFG M/Ts ready to roll. Just need another.  :smack:

For trail, I really want to run the Michelin XMLs in the 325/85 R16 flavor (~38.5 x 12.00) They're a tough military tire, and I think I could really liven them up with some tread cutting  :eyebrow:

Second choice is TSL SXs in the 38.5 x 14.5 /15 flavor. They flat out work from what I understand  :burnout:

I'm looking for cheap tires so that I can get the 40 LTB in the 17 when they come out. That's what I'm really wanting to run  :willynilly:

BUT, there's no tech in here, so I'll get off for a while...  :headshake:

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 499
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Feb 06, 2008, 07:37:32 PM »
Weres pics?  :weirdthread: do you really still own a toyota?  :psss:  Who r u again? Go away till you have some real progress punk!  :stopit:

:rofl2: :haha:

And here I was about to accuse you of web wheeling! Looks like that's been taken care of.  :greengrin:
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Feb 06, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »
Ive been ok I guess. I picked up a rolled runner from a buddy , and I am finally gonna get started on my 4 seater build up. I'm dreaming big, but I don't want to stop playing, so my budget is tiny. I may have to part the red truck in order to get heavy into the new build, but I can't bring myself to do it just yet.

As far as your tires go I could slap ya for getting rid of the irocs without even putting any trail time in with them. The michelins, are heavy and there is far to much rolling mass for a toyota axle. I might even say the same about the 38 sx tire you have for a second choice, but I have seen em work well in a 12.50 variety. The 40 ltb are gonna be the going thing when they come out. I want a set to, but in a 15 so I can keep my current wheel.

I'm really ready to see something materialize in this build up.  :gap:

my favorite places:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Feb 06, 2008, 08:42:03 PM »
Yea, I guess the Michelins are kinda heavy, but I'm really lookin' for something to get me by until the LTBs roll out in April... Or that's when they're supposed to be here.

I'm a fan of the wider tire for some reason. I just haven't ever found a love for the cookie-cutters. Heck, Iroks in the 36" flavor are a claimed 13.5.

I, too, am ready for something to materialize!!!  :hammer: :help:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Feb 06, 2008, 08:49:08 PM »
I checked, and the diff between the 14.5 and the 12.5 is 5lbs. I don't think weight is killin' people  :headscratch: What is it then? Why would the narrow work better?  :dunno:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Feb 07, 2008, 06:22:49 AM »
I checked, and the diff between the 14.5 and the 12.5 is 5lbs. I don't think weight is killin' people  :headscratch: What is it then? Why would the narrow work better?  :dunno:

I didn't say the narrow work better. Unsprung weight isn't a bad thing either. In my opinion its rotating mass that robs power from your drivetrain. Along with a wider tire, that puts more contact to the ground under normal driving situations, your adding more stress than nescicarry to the drivetrain. If I had it to do again I will be going with a 12.50 tire, but it seems that width is harder to find as my height preferance increases.

my favorite places:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Feb 07, 2008, 06:38:05 PM »
...heavy and there is far to much rolling mass for a toyota axle. I might even say the same about the 38 sx tire you have for a second choice, but I have seen em work well in a 12.50 variety.

I thought you were saying here that the narrower SX works better, or did you mean you hadn't seen the 14.5 sx in action?? :dunno:

The Michelins are pretty much impossible to get a hold of, so that might be a null-and-void option at this point.

I'm about to package up my FROR crossmember, skid, and crawler box to ship 'em to WI in trade for a turbo trans, t-case, bellhousing, and all the bolts and nuts  :woohoo:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2008, 09:54:20 AM »
I do have a friend who is running the 35x15.5x15, sx tires. the first trip out with them left  him hoping for more. They are way to short, for their width, way heavy compared to my irocs, and the lugs, are verry wide, and smooth. Seems like they should have added a whole seperate lug for the extra with instead of making the already big lugs bigger.
They arent the 14.5 version though so I really shouldnt comment anything bad about them.
DTB has the 12.50 wide sx tires, and they seemed to perform well, but mabye its the driver.  :dunno: Na thats not it!  :nope:

my favorite places: