Author Topic: TrackVino's 4.3L 4 Runner  (Read 111055 times)

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
TrackVino's 4.3L 4 Runner
« on: Dec 09, 2004, 12:04:44 AM »
Whell, here goes. I start my project from the beginning. I received a call from my friend Dean, who happens to work for Marlin, who told me there is a 4 runner in a local wrecking yard for sale. After a few calls, I decide to take off a little early from work and take a drive to check it out myself. This all started on October 16th. After checking out the 4 runner, I called Dean and told him what I saw, he said this would be a good project and encouraged me to buy it. So I did. I put half of the money down, and returned on the 18th to pick it up. The total for the truck was $650 and this is what I got.

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2005, 02:39:48 PM by TrackVino »

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
Re: TrackVino
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2004, 12:09:56 AM »
Ok, to tell you about myself a bit, I use to be a diesel mechanic about 6 years ago, but a back injury left me unable to perform my duties at work. So now im a computer tech working for a health center. Starting this project is my return to turning a wrench. Now to continue, the first think I did after getting this truck home is to start calling all my friends and tell them what I have found, and what Im going to do. I started getting calls back. The first thing I found was a campershell and a roll bar that fit my 4 runner perfectly.

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2004, 12:16:10 AM »
After several days sitting in the garage, I was able to get my dads old torch set out of storage, and fill the tanks. I started  to collect some of my tools my brother took out of my snap on tool box that was sitting at my mothers place. The first thing I started to do, was to torch out the whole IFS off of this thing. Here are some pics I took on October 29th

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2004, 12:20:31 AM »
My plan to build this was to pull the engine out of an old Chevy Blazer I had sitting at my parents house. 1988 with a 4.3L and a 700r tranny.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2004, 12:21:34 AM »
Pictures from October? :_order: where have ya been man! :sleepy:

Looks like a great start!! Keep on it!
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2004, 12:28:45 AM »
On November 26th, I took a trip to pismo with my wife and baby to visit some family. Guess what I found at a junk yard there, a solid front axle from a 1985 4 Runner. Guess what took a ride in our new mini van. My wife wasnt too happy.

On December 3rd, I had Dean over to help me weld a front hanger and tubes from Marlins.

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2004, 12:32:55 AM »
On Sunday Dec 4th, I put the axle under the truck with some stock leaf springs just to be able to roll it.
 :beerchug:

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2004, 12:42:03 AM »
Where am I right now? I have the engine and the tranny sitting next to the truck, I have the engine completly stripped to the block, I am going to clean it really good, and give it a paint job, re install everything back with new gaskets and seals. The engine ran really good in the blazer, and had no problems getting smogged, so I wont be doing any major work to it. I will be putting in a new water pump and thats about it. I purchased two used transfer cases from a friend, and got a third from my brother in law, they just had them sitting around. I plan on using the 700r in the truck, and the stock 4.10 gears in the pumplins. I will be dropping the engine in this weekend to weld in my home made engine mounts. Then I will probably finish the engine, and start the wiring. I plan on using some Rancho 44044 springs for the front, someone told me they will work better with the weight of the engine. I will also be putting in a 2" body lift this weekend. I am looking for lots of body parts right now, ohh, forgot to mention, my friend Ryan had a hood that matched the color sitting on the side of his house, he donated that to the cause. I do need some doors, a tailgate, taile lights, front grill, bumpers, and other little things like that.

More to come soon. :sleepy:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2004, 10:36:34 AM »
very nice very nice :beerchug:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
Re: TrackVino's 4.3 Swap
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2004, 12:37:10 AM »
So I was planning on welding up the motor mounts this weekend, but got a call on Thursday from Dean and other friends. I guess they had plans to hit the trail this weekend, and were inviting. I had to go, This was a midnight run, in fresh snow, how can I turn it down. It was a cool ride. I went up with my friend who just purchased a 2005 Jeep Rubicon. He already put, I think a 4" lift, and 33's, along with new bumpers and a winch. This thing rode like you wouldnt believe. Almost stock off the show room floor, this thing rode like a Lincoln Town Car, smooth and quiet. So, now, no progress this weekend, but I do have some cool video of Dean plowing through the snow, will be posting that on my web site soon, of course with his permission. Also have to mention my friend Dean with his Landcruiser, what a ride.

Here are a couple of pictures of the top of the mountain, and of Dean and Carlos with their rigs.

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2004, 12:39:41 AM »
Here are a couple more pics

First, Big Mike was there with a friend, and Bruces Land Cruiser with Ryan, (Rockies brother for those of you who dont know) standing in front.

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2004, 01:24:34 PM »
Havent done much to the truck this week, still catching up on stuff from this weekend, but did find some stuff from Ferg, Dean and I will try to visit him this weekend, maybe get the rear tail gate and stearing gear box for high steer. My brother got me some long bolts from his work so I can put the 2" body lift. He also works in a big shop and said if I want, take in whatever parts I need cleaned this weekend, and I can use the bead blaster, steam cleaner(very hot), and whatever they have there. Sounds like I will be getting dirty this weekend. I should be putting the engine in by sunday to get the motor mounts welded up.
 :biggthumpup:

DAWGTOY

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 460
  • Male Posts: 212
  • Member since Jul '04
  • aint too old & broke up to sit down yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2004, 08:51:38 AM »
hey man nice start on your buildup.
what kind of back injury did you have? i too had an injury a little over 6 yrs. ago. i did plumbing work and also mechanic work & had to start working in the office. like you i found a truck for cheep & started on my buildup.  i'm still a pariplegic but can walk a little, just cant feel my legs or feet.
having friends to help with our projects is a great gift.
1983 TOY SHORT PICKUP .35/12.50S EXO CAGE HOMEMADE BED CAMO PAINT, REARS UP FRONT CHEVYS IN THE REAR, 4 WHEEL DISK, CABLE LOCKER REAR, LOCK RITE FRONT, 5.29GEARS FRONT & REAR.BOBBY LONG 30 SPLINES 9500 lb WARN WINCH. DUAL
T CASES WITH 4.7 IN THE REAR. THANKS MARLIN

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2004, 10:50:45 PM »
Hay DAWGTOY, sorry to hear about your injury, I guess I should always be happy I got another chance. Thanks for reading my project here, its been lots of fun. Today I met FERG, went to his house in Hanford Ca. to pick up some parts. I really wanted his stearing gear box, but he had promissed it to someone else, my bo bo for not telling him I was comming over to pick it up when I called him on Tuesday, I guess I need to jump when the oportunity hits. I did however come home with a complete tail gate with window and all for my 4 runner. Dean went with me, he got himself a hood for his truck.

Also, I met my brother over at the CAT dealer he works at, and he let me steam clean some parts. WOW, I have a pressure washer at home, but that dont cut it, if you have access to a steam cleaner, wow it just melts everything right off. He also let me do some bead blasting on small parts. Here are some clean parts.

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2004, 12:05:56 PM »
Hey TrackVino, I need your mailing address so I can mail you a key for the tailgate.  PM me.

Wade
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2004, 01:56:45 PM »
Whell, I did the ultimate sacrafice for my rig. I sold my brand new 5 string Ibanez Bass to get some money for my rig. I purchased the ouput shaft for my 700r4 tranny with the money. Its for a good cause, but didnt like seeing the Bass go.
 :rivers:  :rivers:  :rivers:  :rivers:  :rivers:  :rivers:

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2004, 09:17:41 PM »
Its been a good weekend. Friday morning, I helped my friend Ryan put an engine in a truck he was working on, then went shoping for parts for my truck. I purchased a water pump, and some seals and gaskets I needed, then went home to work on the beast

I started late Friday afternoon stripping my engine down, and cleaning lots of parts. My friends were right, use oven cleaner, it works the best.

The first picture shows the engine after a put a wire wheel on my drill, and buffed the block clean.

I continued Saturday morning cleaning and removing parts. I painted the block, re installed new freeze plugs, rear main, new water pump, and lots of other things.

The second picture is where I left off tonight. It was a good weekend. :banana:

By the way, do you like the  :bling: on the engine?

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2005, 12:01:52 AM »
Another good weekend, well, friday.  :thumbs:

First thing I did today was cleaned my garage, then strip the interior of my truck out. I havne't touched the interior yet, so I thought it would be time. I pulled the seats out, then ripped the carpet completely out. I finally got to the engine, pulled it off the engine stand, attached it to the tranny, then started putting it into the truck. I had to do some modification to the engine mounts I built, Im trying to lower the engine as low as possible. I may even get away with not having to use a body lift. Dean stopped by to see what I was doing and to give me some pointers. I should be able to weld up the engine mounts tomorrow or Sunday. Then comes the fun part; trying to wire this thing.

Here are some pics of the progress.

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2005, 08:46:00 PM »
Had a little time to work on the beast Sunday and Monday, so I set the engine up where I wanted it, then I tack welded the mounts, pulled the engine out and welded the mounts on. I also added some gussets to strengthen the mounts.

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
Re: TrackVino's 4.3L 4 Runner
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2005, 01:20:07 AM »
Ok, the weather here i Cali has been quite wet, kind of unbelievable for Cali. Anyway, got some time to work on the beast, actually, just about an hour on Sunday. Had just enough time to pull it outside, spray the whole engine compartment with oven cleaner, and also the underside, then pressure wash the whole thing. When I was about done, the rain came a pouring. Whell, its clean now, so pulled back into the garage and is ready for the next step.

I am looking for some frame stands to jack up my truck, pull front and rear axles, springs and all the rest. Actually, Im going to strip the axle houseings down. I am read for the next step, so Dean is going to modify both housings for electic lockers. I will be installing my new leaf springs, and all the rest.

In just a few weeks, you should see a big change. Stay tuned.  :banana:

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2005, 02:02:24 PM »
 :thumbs:  You are going to like that 4.3, I did the same thing with my 84 Nissan. That thing would pull anything I could hook to it. Are you using the TBI or going with a carb? eather way you will like the power.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2005, 03:02:51 PM »
TBI - Actually, I found someone in the pirate board who gave me all the color codes, wiring info and location for whatever I need to do to get my engine running. I will write something up later on that. Thanks  :banana:

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2005, 11:49:25 AM »
Ok, heres whats up

I went to Harbor Freight for some tall Jack Stands, Jacked the truck way up and stripped the front and rear housings. Pulled birfs, axles, and diff's. I will be taking them to the local car wash and blowing them clean. I will also be taking the torch and cut all the extra stuff I dont need off. This should be done today.

This morning, I took my 700r4 to Tripple Tech, a transmission repair shop down the street from Marlins shop, Rocky told me these guys were good. They will go through my transmission and tell me what it needs, probably some high perfomance stuff too. They will be installing my new output shaft.

I also dropped by Marlins to order my parts, and what a list. Here is part of the list;

Front & Rear electric lockers
Diff armor
front rotors, Vented
Shifter for automatic
Crawler gears
dual t case cross member
dual t case adaptor
23 splint input shaft for rear t case
rear suspension kit with frenched hangers (springs, shackles, shocks, etc...)
Knuckle service kit
wheel bearings
ubolt flip kit
high steer kit
and lots of other little things.

More to come  :yesnod:
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2005, 09:40:12 PM by TrackVino »

donkeykong

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -159
  • Member since Jun '03
  • My truck and a nice trail...that's all I need
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2005, 01:13:37 PM »
My Brother-in-law (Trackvino) has no patiance :shakehead: , as seen by the list of parts he ordered he wants things built and done NOW....got love the guy. :crazy:

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2005, 04:18:02 PM »
I have been working on my project now about two months and it aint comming together fast enough either. I just can't wait for it to be done because what I realy want is to wheel.

God speeed to us all and may our projects get finnished soon. :thumbs:

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2005, 04:23:13 PM »
TBI - Actually, I found someone in the pirate board who gave me all the color codes, wiring info and location for whatever I need to do to get my engine running. I will write something up later on that. Thanks :banana:

I think those have a seperate harness for the engine which made it for a easy switch from the 94 Blazer to the 84 Nissan. I may still have the complete GM manuals on the 94 Blazer/pickups if that will help.

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2005, 09:44:24 PM »
Thanks, I will get back to you as soon as I get to that point. As for the other comments, of course I want this thing built fast. Its been sitting in my garrage for several months now. Thats several too many. I believe if I am going to waste my time on a project, no matter what it is, then it is going to get done the right way the first time. I dont plan on building this thing, then taking it on a trail, only to find out its not trail worthy. I will be on the trail, completely setup when the time is right. The truck originally came from the junk yard, but after im done with it, there will be no junk in it at all.

You will see. :yesnod:  :yesnod:  :yesnod:  :yesnod:  :yesnod:

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2005, 05:10:44 PM »
Ok, still at work, but cant wait to get home, had a lunch date at Marlins today, and now my truck is full of parts waiting to be put together on my 4 runner. Am planning on installing the frenched hangers this friday. Also ordered my 44044 springs from 4 wheel parts. They should be in by friday also. Dean is going to help me with my axles next week, so this gives me enough time to put the sprints, and hangers in. I will also be painting the frame and cleanning up lots of parts. Its been a good day today.

Hope to have the truck up on its wheel by next weekend. Ill post pictures later.  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2005, 11:32:47 PM »
Ok, Dean dropped by with more parts, their now sitting in my garage in a couple of big piles. Also had Donkeykong pick up my 44044 Rancho springs for the front from 4 wheel parts. So lots of work ahead. After work today, I met my brother at his house, and drove to his work, and put my two axle houseings, along with the nuckles, and hubs in the hot tank. Plan on taking them out sunday afternoon, we will steam clean them, and dry them, then off to Deans Sunday afternoon to start fitting the lockers in. Also, got a call from Tripple Tech, they are almost done with my 700r4 tranny, its getting a rebuild.

Plan is to have the axles done in the next week or so, then put the suspention in. I have the high stear, and all hangers and stuff. After its on its wheels, it will be easier to move in and out of the garage. Then the fun part will begin, drop the engine, tranny, and transfercasses in, then start all the wiring.

Ill have pictures of the progress soon, but for now, still collecting parts.   :biggthumpup:  :biggthumpup:  :biggthumpup:

Actually, time for  :sleeping:

TrackVino [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2005, 01:38:07 PM »
This weather is really getting me down. Too much rain, and too much work.

I now have my trany at home, completely rebuilt and ready to be installed. I have prettymuch all the parts I need for the suspention. I will be cutting my frame, hopefully this weekend, and installing the rear frenched hangers. Marlin springs in the rear, and rancho 44044 up in front. If only this rain would stop.

I picked up a second camper shell for my 4 runner, I plan on using one complete for the winter, and a second, chopped up for the summer. Also picked up a IFS stearing gear box from Ferg for the high steer, already have all the rest (from Marlin)

I have pictures at home to post, but no time, need a break from everything else so I can work on my truck

:wave: