Author Topic: project extend-a-toy  (Read 164976 times)

dezrik

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 192
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
Re: project extend-a-toy
« Reply #300 on: Jul 12, 2009, 12:49:44 PM »
Wow, you make my Project look like SHAT, Im currently doing an extended mod on my first gen pickup. Im not going to have as much room as you but I'm mainly extending my cab for storage space. I think ill have 14" of extra space in the cab. :). Keep up the godly work.

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Jul 12, 2009, 09:29:22 PM »
Wow, you make my Project look like SHAT, Im currently doing an extended mod on my first gen pickup. Im not going to have as much room as you but I'm mainly extending my cab for storage space. I think ill have 14" of extra space in the cab. :). Keep up the godly work.
you are going to have to start a thread and post some pics so we can see what is going on!!!  i enjoy checking out any extended cab mods.. good luck! its a lot of work but will be completely worth it in the end.. thanks for the compliment by the way... :thumbs:
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2009, 10:00:52 PM by fj-rankenstein »
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: Jul 12, 2009, 10:01:17 PM »
thanks Benp for coming over and making me some fancy shock hoops!!!  i really apreciate it!!   i ended up grinding all day on the back panel and got it looking pretty good as well...  tomorrow i will be installing exhaust and checking for clearances for wiring, brake lines, etc...

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

crawlerdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 395
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #303 on: Jul 12, 2009, 10:03:29 PM »
WOW! I wanna see this and the rest of your builds. If we pay $5 a head can we all have a tour of your shop and a rundown of the builds?
Precision guess work done here.

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: Jul 25, 2009, 09:46:28 AM »
so i picked up the hella brand name headlight conversion kit so i can run h4 style bulbs..   this will be good upgrade to the sealed beams that are currently in there...

i am having a wiring isuues though...

so i am in my dash today getting the wires i need to splice my 3.4 wiring into my first gen truck wiring and noticed that i had a chunk of harness cut off my main harness directly in the middle of the dash harness...  its kind of close to where the harness connects with 2 connectors for the heater...  this truck had no engine when i got it so i dont know what it affects and cant see where it would connect to anything.. i did hook up a battery to check all accessories and from what i remember everything did work so i dont know if its just a spare conector or what..  perhaps for a non canadian accessory??   i have 3 red wires going to one side of the connector and 2 reds and a green going to the other side..   i went into my spare wiring bins and dug out both my complete 81 harness and my spare 82 harness and cut the chunk off the spare harness to soldier onto my harness again..   

any help on this would be much appreciated..   here is a pic of the piece of harness that is missing on my truck that i cut off from my spare harness...  it has some burnt wires but the other spare harness has this section that is in excellent shape..  i just didnt want to cut it until i knew what it was for for sure..

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #305 on: Jul 27, 2009, 07:18:27 PM »
I do belive that's the plug for the headlight relay and the tail light relay.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: Jul 28, 2009, 01:13:35 AM »
I do belive that's the plug for the headlight relay and the tail light relay.

you are awesome...  thankyou...  now that i know that i see exactly where all that is in my schematic...    thanks again..  now why the heck was that section cut out??  hmmmmmm.

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: Jul 28, 2009, 01:37:18 AM »
Cool build
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #308 on: Jul 28, 2009, 06:44:00 AM »
green wire looks like it got hot.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: Jul 28, 2009, 10:40:44 AM »
green wire looks like it got hot.
yeah, the truck i got that piece of the harness off was in an accident where it smashed the light assemblies and of course the previous had paperclips as fuses and the wires burnt instead of his fancy paperclip fuses..   i dont understand some people..    i have a few good harness that i will splice what i need out of them to make this one work..
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:53:04 PM by fj-rankenstein »

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: Aug 01, 2009, 10:39:20 PM »
so today was the beginning of wiring madness...  i should have a wired or mostly wired in engine by the end of the weekend..   i spent the last few days between sgi stuff and a busy work week re-aquainting myself with this 3.4 wiring again..  i havent touched it in about 3 months so there was a lot to catch up on..
 i am going to use the factory wiring harness out of the 82 but modify it quite a bit..  there are a lot of "extra" circuits involved with this harness that will never be used or i cant find where or what they do anyways so these are the first to leave the harness...

i am getting rid of:

- the radio circuit. my toothbrush draws more power than the stock radio and the wires are too small for anything good to be installed in there. as well, the speaker wires are small and garbage as well..
 i will use this circuit for either part of the engine swap or make it as another circuit for extra accessories..

-the ignition coil circuit. its not needed anymore now that the 3.4 has its own coils on the engine itself.. i will be using this circuit as the "B+" circuit or aka the switched power circuit for the 3.4 engine swap..

i will also be modifying the cigarette lighter/powerpoint wiring to a heavier gauge so i can put 3 powerpoints in there instead of the one that came from factory..

the headlight circuit will be getting a little tlc as well... i will be upgrading the wiring being that it to will be running a higher wattage of headlight than stock..  with these upgrades, all the loose ends should be tied up..

of course i still have to add circuits for the sunroof, both front and rear elockers, extra lighting, and one more for the engine swap..

today i got the loose ends taken care of with the 3.4 harnesses, got the stock 82 harness out of the truck and removed the dash board to do some mods to it as well..  it will be easier to work with the harness without the dash in the way anyways..

here are the pics..

some extra harnesses that i will be taking some needed wiring out of..

its been said that there is a built in speed sensor on the back of the factory instrument cluster.. which lead is it??

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: Aug 02, 2009, 09:40:27 AM »
I remember on my 81 there were two wires underneath where the speedo cable goes....

When I swapped in my 82-83 cluster I remember that i had to splice some wires for it but i cant recall which ones, ill try to find the thread that i used with all the pins and stuff.

EDIT: Heres the link to the thread with all the wire colors. Youll notice it has both SR5 and non-SR5

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=2973.0
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2009, 07:47:57 PM by lilbuddy »
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #312 on: Aug 02, 2009, 12:11:13 PM »
This is a seriously awesome build. Keep it up please.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: Aug 04, 2009, 02:28:00 AM »
thanks for the link lilbuddy and also thanks for the compliment taco runner.. i have followed your build and the stuff you are doing and must say i enjoy your creative building. :thumbs:

first off i want to thank benp for coming over and helping me this weekend..  all of his work has been much appreciated in making this truck a possibility for the marlin crawler roundup in september..     even if i dont end up getting the truck done in time i will have a mostly completed truck to come back to when we do "holliday plan b"

this weekend it was more wiring madness..  i did most everything i wanted to do to the stock harness to change, improve and upgrade existing wires..  i still have to delete the ignition circuit but that will only take a couple of hours...

in the garage we got the shock hoops almost done and they have turned out awesome..  in the back end of the truck i have made the cradle for the fuel cell, dropped down the flatdeck to a good useable height and i started mocking the hinges up for the dump bed..

all in all a very good productive weekend..

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2009, 02:38:03 AM by fj-rankenstein »

dezrik

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: Aug 05, 2009, 08:27:24 PM »
 :bowdown: nice, I've only got as far as Cutting my Second cab down, I wanted to go with a 3.4L Engine in my Swap but Decided to install a 22RET instead (Saving myself almost $1500 bucks). How did you weld the two cabs together? Did you just butt weld them together? Can you take a picture of the Areas you welded in? Thanks Dezrik

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: Aug 05, 2009, 10:30:32 PM »
:bowdown: nice, I've only got as far as Cutting my Second cab down, I wanted to go with a 3.4L Engine in my Swap but Decided to install a 22RET instead (Saving myself almost $1500 bucks). How did you weld the two cabs together? Did you just butt weld them together? Can you take a picture of the Areas you welded in? Thanks Dezrik

Read the whole post from the beginning. He is really good at explaining and taking plenty of pics. :)
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: Aug 07, 2009, 11:53:27 PM »
i have had a stomach flu for the last few days so not much progress but i did get out to the garage this evening and i have a hint of advice.

there are two connectors under the dash of a 1982 minitruck that are exactly the same but do two completely different things.. one is for the parking ebrake and the other is power for a dash light that shines onto the heater controls.

save yourself the headache and make sure you label everything correctly when removing your cab harness, do stuff to it and then re-install it otherwise your dash light dimmer switch becomes something it wasnt designed to be.. i will leave it at that..    :yikes:

so once i figured out why i was blowing tail light fuses ( 7 to be exact) things went really good for the short time i was out there..

big update hopefully soon if i am feeling better tomorrow..

dezrik

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: Aug 23, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »
Hope you didn't get really sick, If you did and you can't finish your project Ill take Over :), kidding. I need Updates!!

00taco

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 156
  • Member since Feb '09
  • Cant wait to do SAS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: Aug 23, 2009, 10:19:56 PM »
read the project beginning to the end...amazing build...keep it coming!

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: Aug 24, 2009, 03:40:38 AM »
well here is a bit of an update..  i am desperately trying to get my truck rolling for marlin crawler roundup and with a little help this week i am hoping to have a running truck within a few days after my welding is done...  the plan is to get the entire cab floor sprayed with box liner and then for the weekend get the exhaust put on and windows put in..  i will be going down with very little body work done and the back half of the truck in primer...  it wont be finished but as long as its mechanically and electrically reliable than i dont care for now...

here are the pics..... and pics..... and pics...

we will start with the gauge cluster. sinse i have put a v6 in the truck the factory 4 cylinder tach wont work any more.. i had to change that......  the first pic is of the 97 runner cluster that i got with the truck...

here is a pic of the 82 cluster..

here is a pic of both tach modules.. the 82 is on the left and the 97runner on the right

here is the back of the 82 cluster and the three connections i have to deal with..  (ign, p, ground)

here is how i did the transplant.. i got the 97 tach module and took the mounting screws that originally held it in the 97 cluster and turned them around the other way..  i then attatched connectors and wire and tightened the screws so they wouldnt be loose..

from here i took the 82 faceplate and had to dremmel out the mounting holes just a little so that they would match the 97 tach module mounting holes..  i cut down the mounting screws and well sinse they have a lot less to go through now..

i then took 3mmx12mm screws, nuts and washers and tightened them into the 82 housing..these are my connections for the tach..

and only because i couldnt resist..  i saw this somewhere on the marlin forum and liked it so much i had to do it...  cudos to the originator who first thought this up!!

here is a few more shots of the tach and wiring ready to be installed..

viola!!!!

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: Aug 24, 2009, 03:57:34 AM »
here is the tool that i bought to make some nice ends for all of my fuel line.. i dont want anything to pop off so with doing this and a hase clamp it should be good!!

here is a pic of my ugly mug working under the truck.. my girlfriend stole my camera for a few action shots..

here is a few pics of my fancy dancy ecu holder.. it worked out well and doesnt take too much room in my glove box..  i would have put it under the glove box but sinse i put in a/c there is no room there any more.. i tucked it up as high as i could inside the dash..

here are some fuel cell pics and the cradle i built to hold the fuel cell...

here is a side pic with the marlin bumper that has yet to be altered to fit the truck a little better..

and finally a few pics of my rear shock mounts..

i will have more pics up later after the weekend..

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: Aug 24, 2009, 08:24:56 AM »
sickness man this thing is really coming out sweet! one of my favorite 1st gens for sure! just nice clean work done right!
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1254
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: Aug 24, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
What a cool build! Nice attention to detail!

00taco

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 156
  • Member since Feb '09
  • Cant wait to do SAS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: Aug 24, 2009, 12:59:06 PM »
u have lots and lots of patients for this build...keep goin!

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #324 on: Aug 24, 2009, 06:31:19 PM »
:clap2: i love the tach     fuel cell is nice also
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #325 on: Sep 02, 2009, 04:40:36 PM »
WOW!!!!!!!!! i just read your entire build. we will see this thing on the trail Oct 31 2011 right. ok i am just joking. i know how these things go. (Life Happens) great build i love it alot cant wait to see it.
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: Sep 03, 2009, 01:32:10 PM »
WOW!!!!!!!!! i just read your entire build. we will see this thing on the trail Oct 31 2011 right. ok i am just joking. i know how these things go. (Life Happens) great build i love it alot cant wait to see it.
no no.. its funny cuz its true.. lol..   actually i have joked quite a bit about it being march 2010... that date keeps sticking in my head for some reason...   i am actually a little disappointed with myself..  i was trying to get my truck ready for the marlin roundup and i wont quite get there..   i actually have a very big update to do but just no time right now..  the truck is a day away from running and everything else looks to be done quite soon...   i will most likely be out for the TLCA rubithon or mabey cruise moab next year though...  i have two big wheeling trips planned next year for this truck.. 

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: Sep 03, 2009, 01:38:42 PM »
here are a couple quick pics...

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: Sep 03, 2009, 01:52:50 PM »
AWESOME build, good work man! :thumbs:
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: Sep 03, 2009, 02:48:14 PM »
have you decided what you are going to do for inside panels in the ex-cab portion?

Looks good so far - I really like the floor.
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2009, 02:56:43 PM by BUDDERS »
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"