Author Topic: project extend-a-toy  (Read 136181 times)

kentuckyken

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 107
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Gotta start somewhere!
    • View Profile
    • My Hobbies
Re: project extend-a-toy
« Reply #240 on: Mar 03, 2008, 03:34:12 PM »
I just put on a set of TOYO's Open Country A/T on my Silverado this winter for highway use and I love them , good sticky tread.  :thumbs:
I like them BETTER than the Michellan M/S I took off.

Hey you're several steps closer to being done  :clap:
With many more steps to go !  :yesnod:
Keep pluggin away ...

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1079
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Mar 03, 2008, 04:13:49 PM »
the 37x13.5x17 toyo mt's will be here in a couple of days...  before anyone questions the choice of these tires I will say that I am buying these purely on long life and extrememly well builtness that toyo is known for..... we dont trailer any of our rigs up here and i want a tire that will still perform well, get 80000 kilometers out of a set and handle well also... being that I plan on doing a lot of big trips in this truck I dont want to deal with driving 20+ hours each way on a trip on a set of more aggressive tires that are unballanced and arent good highway tires...
 I am quite excited to get these!!!  I have read nothing but really positive reviews....
im on my third set the same size!! great tire

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Mar 04, 2008, 12:53:33 PM »
the 37x13.5x17 toyo mt's will be here in a couple of days...  before anyone questions the choice of these tires I will say that I am buying these purely on long life and extrememly well builtness that toyo is known for..... we dont trailer any of our rigs up here and i want a tire that will still perform well, get 80000 kilometers out of a set and handle well also... being that I plan on doing a lot of big trips in this truck I dont want to deal with driving 20+ hours each way on a trip on a set of more aggressive tires that are unballanced and arent good highway tires...
 I am quite excited to get these!!!  I have read nothing but really positive reviews....

So far I've had 5 sets of these tire on rigs ranging from a Dodge 2500 diesel that tows 15,000 lbs (37x13x50x17 even) to a 87 4Runner (37x14.50x15) and my all tube buggy.  By far the best all around tire I've ever owned.  They aren't the lightest tire but they perform extremely well and I don't worry about carrying a spare.  I've run most of the interco swamper tires and they can't even come close to the toyos for their a all around tire.  Good choice

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: Mar 08, 2008, 09:46:05 PM »
whew!!  that makes me feel good then about the tires..... I am really looking forward to getting them mounted and on the truck...

good news good news.... i got my new jd2 tubing bender!!!  i got the bender, 2",1 3/4, 1 1/2, 1 inch round and 1x1 square die....  I also got the tn-100 notcher too..... now i just need the space to set this thing up...I am tired of paying everyone to do tube work for me...its a hassle to find anyone good around here to do it so i figure I will be that good guy.... eventually.. :thumbs:

I spent a couple hours making these greasable bolts.. i made enough for a complete truck and a little more...  I used a 7/32nds drill bit to make the main hole down the middle and then a 1/8 inch hole across... I then tapped it and put in a grease zerk...  tada!! :lol:   it will be nice to grease my suspension..

I also fit my marlin bumper tonight just to see how it would look.... its quite nice but I dont think its gonna work with this truck... I am gonna end up hacking up a perfectly nice bumper and I dont think I want to do that... plus I think I can make one a little cooler yet but with 2 inch tubing.. this biggest tubing on this one is 1 7/8 tubing I believe...i will save it though because I doubt this will be my last first gen truck...

I really wanted to finish my springs this weekend but its not gonna happen... I forgot that when I welded in the tube in the frame for the front spring hanger I used a 60 series landcruiser one instead of a minitruck one...  also, landcruiser bushings are a direct fit for 3rd gen spring holes, or least they are for this set...  I need 12 so i gotta figure out where I can get a set before next weekend... I will probably end up ordering a couple of sets though if they arent too bad of a price... Rankenstein is gonna need some as well...  i can get the rear springs finished though....
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Mar 10, 2008, 12:05:54 PM »
finally some progress on your rig... looks nice

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Mar 14, 2008, 08:35:53 PM »
thanks!!  I feel things are finally starting to come along...

I have been on a spending spree this last few weeks!!!  my toyos are now here at the tire shop waiting for rims... I found a black steelie rim in the 17 inch flava for 86 bucks a piece so I bought 5.. i then ordered my moto metals as well and got five of those... whew...
my new bushings came in for the front springs also...i am using 3rd gen rear 51 inch springs in the front of this truck and later landcruiser bushings are a perfect fit width wise for these springs...they ight be a hair too long though... I will see in the next few days...

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #246 on: Mar 15, 2008, 07:58:26 AM »
:woohoo:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Mar 21, 2008, 03:02:02 PM »
I should probably post a pic of these.....  pain in the butt actually how everything went about....  I got my rims mid last week and they didnt fit over the axle hubs of the truck.... I kind of thought that might happen so I was prepared and took them to a place here in town that does all sorts of wheel mods, cleaning, fixing, etc..  they charged 25 bucks a rim to machine out the centers to fit on my truck.. there is more than enough meat on the rim to safely do this and they turned out awsome..  I then sent them to the tire shop where my new tires have been sitting for almost a week now and got them mounted...  I love the look of the toyos...  it put a big smile on my face when i picked them up...

I also spent almost 4 hours on the back part of my frame a couple days ago and cut/ground off every tab, bracket, and bump stop  and made it smooth...today i will mount the rear springs, re-arch my front springs again and get them hung as well with all new bushings that finally showed up...

i am also having issues with the box that I built.... not that it wont work, but I dont know if i want to use it... I am kind of re-thinking making a flatdeck out of tubing and then make fold down sides that will be removable as well.. kind of like the old vw bus trucks... i will post a rough pic of my truck with out a bed and if anyone wants to draw something using that pic, or have any other pics for inspiration that would be great...
I will post a pic of kind of how i was thinking and then one without a box...

nvtoyin21

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 202
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #248 on: Mar 21, 2008, 04:11:04 PM »
This is one bad ass build!!! Keep it up man. Cant wait to see it all done up.  :biggthumpup:

Johnny5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Male Posts: 62
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Mar 22, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »
i kinda like the box u designed, not the biggest fan of a flat deck but might be cool with removable sides. btw excellent build looking forward to the completion

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,042
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Mar 22, 2008, 05:37:45 PM »
I vote for the first one down with the bedsides! it would complete the truck, Not a fan of flat beds. Nice wheels! :bling:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #251 on: Mar 23, 2008, 01:52:15 PM »
I :love: thos toy colors 

I wonder what a 3gen would look like but wit the red insted of the blue
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: Mar 23, 2008, 01:57:26 PM »
u should get the chrome pieces of the rim painted up in the same blue.

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Mar 27, 2008, 12:47:44 AM »
tonight was a good night in the garage.. I reshaped my knuckle gussets so the back seal retainer wouldnt hit

I also got lucky and didnt have to grind out the inside out my knuckle balls on the end of the axle tubes to get the new longs in there... I did what the instructions told to check for interference and it had plenty of room everywhere....  that saves a little work...

I also put together my front end again to mock up the power steering box and hydra assist cylinder..... it should go pretty good from here..

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -442
  • Male Posts: 4,824
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Jeepin North Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #254 on: Mar 27, 2008, 03:33:00 AM »
damn this is going to be ONE SICK CUSTOM 1ST GEN! :woohoo:
cant beleive i missed it.
1996 Jeep ZJ Laredo Daily/Weekend Wheeler
5.2L V8, 44RE, NP249, 33X12.50R15s on MT Classics, 5.5in Iron Rock Off Road Critical Path F/R

Trailer Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=103261

2005 Dodge Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi Wife's Daily

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 37
  • Male Posts: 731
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Someday my truck will look like this
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Mar 28, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »
This is a sick toy build. Definately inspires me...
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: Jun 12, 2008, 01:22:10 AM »
well if its not one thing its another.....  I have been out of action due to a back injury at work and then a pinched nerve in my back... i was on crutches for a few weeks until I couldnt stand it anymore and then I just hobbled around...  its been a few months sinse all this happened and now my physio said i can do light duty stuff again... I dont actually return to work for another month and i do have to take it easy but nothing is heavy on a toyota considering I am a heavy equipment mechanic.. i cant wait to be healthy and at full strength again..

the other big thing that we have had problems with is our insurance company...  in Saskatchewan Canada we are the only province that has a government run, publically owned insurance company.. so that is one insurance company and no other options... it works well as far as fairly cheap insurance goes but they have also used their monopoly for no good....  last month they came up with a policy to override/work along side canada's vehicle regulations (only aplicable in saskatchewan..) that limits maximum tire size to 34 inches, maximum highest point of your frame wheather it is the front or back to be 29.5 inches and many many other crazy rules....  they snuck this in without any public consultation, no public knowledge and it was all based on a flawed american study on a worn out truck that evidence was proven to be inconclusive...  well, there were a ton of us that started to write, call and email our politicians and only after 3 weeks of constant pressure they cancelled the policy, apologized and admitted that evidence was inconclusive and so forth... thats the news we got today from the top so its back to normal again... although our sk. government still wants to create a lifted truck policy, we will now be hoping to work with them to create a policy that works with everyone instead of eliminating everything...  it was quite a huge ordeal over the last few weeks and could have been the end to modified 4x4s.. i lost many hours of sleep and develpoed hoarse throats and sore fingers from typing soooo much...

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2009, 03:58:18 PM by fj-rankenstein »

toy4x4ota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 51
  • Male Posts: 468
  • Member since May '05
  • learning how to drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: Jun 17, 2008, 10:28:41 AM »
looks good
Liqour in the front   Poker in the rear

LIFTED TRUCKS ARE GAY

85 toy, 223:1, welded/welded, 38's, running on PANE

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: Jun 19, 2008, 08:50:53 AM »
wow just read the whole build and let me say man u got some skills.... this is a badass build for sure! great job
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: Jun 19, 2008, 09:39:32 AM »
ya this is one sweet custom 1st gen right there :thumbs:...keep up the good work man :clap2:

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: Jun 20, 2008, 12:17:09 AM »
I forgot about this build...  Love the progress man! Hope to see it finished soon, its giving me ideas..... Uh oh...
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: Jun 20, 2008, 12:29:10 AM »
:eye:

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
« Reply #262 on: Jun 22, 2008, 05:12:55 PM »
awesome work man can't wait to see it done

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -442
  • Male Posts: 4,824
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Jeepin North Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #263 on: Jul 09, 2008, 12:17:44 AM »
thats really good man
1996 Jeep ZJ Laredo Daily/Weekend Wheeler
5.2L V8, 44RE, NP249, 33X12.50R15s on MT Classics, 5.5in Iron Rock Off Road Critical Path F/R

Trailer Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=103261

2005 Dodge Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi Wife's Daily

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: Dec 30, 2008, 07:45:30 AM »
It's been a while with out updates... What's up with the rig??

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: Dec 30, 2008, 10:46:53 PM »
so here has been the progress over the last few months...

-
 I bought some tools along the way...  i got myself a 50 ton press and a magnum 250lx aluminum spool gun that works with my lincoln 255c mig..   both are a great addition to the shop plus i want to get into more aluminum as well..  i just got our steel order as well.. I recieved 4 sticks of 2 inch .120 wall tube, 4  1.5inch 120 wall tube, 4 1 inch 120 wall tube, 14,16 gauge 4x8 sheet metal, a sheet of expanded metal, 4 sticks of 1x1 square tube and a few other small items.. this should get me going for the time being...

as far as progress on the truck, i am working on a all toyota rear disc brake conversion... i just couldnt bring myself to do another chevy rotor and caliper swap, and although there is more screwing around making the toyota stuff work, i will be happy in the long run...  it is using vented rotors and ifs calipers like the front...  everything is brand new...  this was all mounted on my new alloy usa axles I bought a while ago too....  I will post a few pics and then post some more in a few days...i ended up putting in front hub studs because of where the knurle is on the stud and the length works fairly well when doing a disc conversion this way...i am running thich aluminum rims so I wasnt concerned with the extra 4 millimeters of shoulder length on the studs but might be a problem if I go to a steel rim.. the lug nuts might bottom out on the shoulder and not actually clamp the rim in place...  next time i will put a small washer on the backside so less shoulder will stick through the axle hub... 
*EDIT* I did check to see if using steel rims would affect how the lug nuts clamp down on the rim and they seem to tighten down properly...  i will still put a washer in behind the next set i do just to make sure... :biggthumpup:

oh yeah, and here is a little trick that I have been doing for years.. if you have  a stubborn bearing to come out of a bore or such as the case with the elocking diff there is an oil retainer behind the bearing and you pretty much have to hurt it to punch the race out.... well then weld a hot bead on the inside of the race as shown, let it cool for a couple of minutes and it should just fall out of its bore...  it shrinks it enough and it works every time...

-rear suspension is all hung up and done...

front suspension is all hung up and done as well.  the trucks sits nice..

worked some more on the front diff and got the axle truss done and the hydra assist started as well... after doing lots of welding to the front diff I figured I better check that the axle housing didnt warp....  no problems at all. the axles slid right in with no problems...  I figure I should be almost done my front diff by the weekend and the rear diff by the end of the next weekend...

I went to the wreckers and bought some more 3rd gen 4 runner front driveshafts with the double carden to modify for the truck...

-here is some of the diff shaving...

as well i have a pic of some diff setting up and if you look closely you will see that I made the carrier bearing torque tool out of an old output flange that i cut down and welded a pinion nut on...  it worked perfect for the big side.... i did the typical 1/4 inch flatplate with a couple bolts welded in to adjust the other side...

I also bought a couple of these today as well....

-here is the rest of the shaved dif part.. i got that all done tonight except for grinding the bottom smooth.. i am going to make two "runners" along the bottom like I did with the front as well along with my half cut pipe cap for diff armor.......  i welded the inside of my dif housing like the diamond axles.. i also did it to the front while I was in there... it should be nice and strong... I got quite a bit more shaved off this diff than the front now that i know what i am doing...

I should be almost done this diff tomorrow I think...  the brake calipers are gonna take a little thought but once I know what I am doing for sure it will go quick...

-tonight I got the diff almost done...  everything else is mostly done except for a hole for my diff breather that I forgot about..  I still have to finish my calipers but i am going to build a weld on style bracket.. there is plenty of surface area and I am more than confident in my welding..

the rear diff housing in the end is all trussed, bottom is shaved, had to modify the truss so a normal ubolt could be used being that the third will be rotated up 10 degrees, drain plugged relocated, fill plug relocated higher, a top fill plug for easy fills got installed, housing modified for the elocker, new chromoly axles, cut and remounted perches, third regeared for 4.88s with tripple drilled marlin flange and solid pinion spacer, new bearings and seals all the way through,  and disc brake conversion which I should be able to finish tomorrow hopefully...next day for sure but its gonna be a little busy for the next few days...

here are the pics..

I know its taking me a while but i hope there is still enough interest for me to keep posting pics.... :disturbed:

-thanks for the good respose guys..  it helps me stay motivated to keep posting pics and my ever going slow progress......... :turtle3:

so a little more progress today... my plasma cutter was working overtime!! I had a free evening tonight so I thought I should make the best of it and finish my axle...  its pretty much all done except to weld the disc caliper brackets on..  it should be under the truck tomorrow which will be good...   I can then move onto making my driveshafts into high angle driveshafts...

-I spent today undoing what I did a while ago.. i figured my truck looked like it was going to be waaaaaay to tall so i changed a few things to drop it down... I got some 4.5 inch shackles to replace the 6 inch ones I had in the truck first off.. that helped lots but I then got ambitious and redid the sas bracket up front and dropped it into the frame.. that as well dropped me down another 2 inches and I will be happy there.. in total i lost almost 4 inches  of height by the time I was finished.. :thumbs:

here are a few pics of the front end...

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2009, 04:21:20 PM by fj-rankenstein »

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: Dec 31, 2008, 05:01:23 PM »
Jimny christmas! More pics, more pics!
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: Jan 02, 2009, 08:58:19 AM »
Very interesting projects, your welding skills are great. My welding is strong but requires a grinder to make them half as clean as yours  :bowdown:
Keep up the great work and post many pics  :yesnod:
  DanS
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: Jan 02, 2009, 08:55:19 PM »
thanks for the great compliments guys!!!
I will give a little more of an update sinse I have some spare time tonight...

so, i was online one night and had the great idea that i needed twin sticks....  keeping on with the theme of this truck where i have always wanted to build a bigger budget build with all of the goodies, bells and whistles I thought I should order some twin sticks....  I ended up going with the front range twin sticks based on a guy that runs them around here and has had great success with them...
 so this involved pulling the rear tcase and removing all of the interlock pin stuff...  sinse the case was out though i decided to really scrub clean the newly assembled cases and then try "clearcoating" them....  they turned out awsome and wont corrode from road salt for quite a long time...  I assembled the tcases back in the truck and thought that i wasnt really happy with my first attempt with building a crossmember mount so I decided to change that too.... I ended up using bj-60 body mount bushings and re-made the cross member to more of an industry standard style mount...  I really like the way it turned out...  here are the pics..

from here, after the drivetrain was buttoned up again I went to work on the front end again...I had previously tapped, and assembled an ifs steering box earlier and thought i should give it a nice coat of paint... I did this and all 4 brake calipers the same silver colour.. it turned out awsome...
 because I had mounted my sas bracket and springs so far ahead, i had to cut quite a bit into my cab mount to get the steering box to fit..I made a bracket and strengthened the cab mount to fit around the steering box.. I am happy with how it turned out.. i dont think anyone has done it like this before...  here are a few pics...

around this time I ended up with a 97 runner with a 3.4 and a 5 speed from the wrecker.. it had 236000 kms on it and ran like a top...  I then parted the heck out of it and got what I needed...

and this is to where I am now....  like i said, I needed a change of pace so I worked on the cruiser for a bit...I should post up an entire story on the cruiser in the cruiser section one day...

hopefully when it gets a little warmer I will get back out to the garage again very soon.. its driving me nuts not being able to work on anything...

today i worked on the driveshafts and almost got them done... I still might get the rear one professionally built just so its ballanced properly and such...  the front one I will for sure do myself...
 i ended up doing the double cardan mod where you grind the center area of the cardan out a bit to get more articulation for your driveshaft.. sinse the driveshaft was almost at maximum droop without even flexing I figured I should do something so i dont end up breaking an output on the tcase...
here is the before and after pics of how much more improved the angle has become...  I machined out the one side quite deep so i would get a little extra articulation out of it...

with no mods...

much much better!!! Look at that angle!!
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2009, 04:32:25 PM by fj-rankenstein »

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:01:21 AM »
wow its about time man this build has been going on forever