Author Topic: project extend-a-toy  (Read 164947 times)

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
Re: project extend-a-toy
« Reply #60 on: Apr 22, 2006, 04:45:46 PM »
sorry, I kind of stopped updating I guess because I wasnt sure if there was much interest in this build... I was just going to post more towrds the end when there was more of a complete truck..
I am currently building my landcruiser and this truck for july so progress is slow.....but consistant..
My engine is all buttoned up but havent finished the wiring yet and I am patiently waiting for the rest of my duel ultimate parts for this truck to show up as well...

I should have it done for end of may hopefully though...

here are some pics of what I have been up to.  I am currently building a custom box as well and I have decided to pursue the third door option too... i want to make sure that this truck stays quite unique till someone tries to one up me :greengrin:

oh yeah, and I bought 8 of these to do a 4 link in the rear... this will be a next winter project though...

the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Apr 22, 2006, 04:50:35 PM »
any updates on this?
I'm in the middle of doing a cab swap with my 80 and I'm doing something similar extended cab wise.

you should post some pics of your build... unless they are already being put up... I havent looked yet..

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Apr 22, 2006, 09:46:30 PM »
post the pics as you go, I like your build and would love to see more pics of its progress; even if it is slow.
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #63 on: Apr 23, 2006, 07:24:00 AM »
post the pics as you go, I like your build and would love to see more pics of its progress; even if it is slow.

:yesnod:   can't wait 2 see the body done.  :hyper:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Apr 23, 2006, 11:45:28 AM »
how hard is it to extend your cab like that. i have asingle cab right know and a extra cab laying in the yard about to go to the dump always wanted to extend my cab just scared.
83 toyota shortbed, 90 rear axle, 5.29's f/r, spools f/r, 22/20 hybrid w/propane, 37 mtrs. dual transfer cases. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22712.0
yotas 4 life homie!

Greg W

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Apr 23, 2006, 07:41:35 PM »
thanks for the updates.  I don't think you have to worry about being done up on the "uniqueness" of your truck.  I'm liking the fender look and flatbed combo...nice creativity. 

My buildup is going real sllllooooowwww.  I'll be lifting the old cab off this saturday with about 5 or 6 of my friends.  I'll take some pictures of the progress but at this point it is just a simple cab swap.  I plan on extending my cab the way Johnny did to his 81 over on www.wildyoats.com
There is a picture of what I want to do located here.

http://www.wildyoats.com/images/cabtech22.jpg.jpg

Not trying to hijack the thread.  This method is definately the shortcut version of what you're doing.  love your mini.javascript:void(0);
Beer

I also have a 96 fzj80 I'm starting to work on a little.  What kind of LC you got and what are doing to it?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Apr 23, 2006, 08:08:51 PM »
 :flamer: What kind of steel did you use for the bed rails? Thx.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Apr 28, 2006, 07:17:29 PM »
I also have a 96 fzj80 I'm starting to work on a little.  What kind of LC you got and what are doing to it?

I used to have 5 landcruisers but I have been narrowing down the project to have more quality than quantity...I have 2 77 fj45s and a 81 bj42 as well as my mini....
I belong to www.toontoys.ca  check it out...

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2006, 11:03:45 PM by fj-rankenstein »

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Apr 28, 2006, 07:20:17 PM »
:flamer: What kind of steel did you use for the bed rails? Thx.

it is 1x1inch , 1/8th inch thick

the floor is 14 gauge steel checkerplate..

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Apr 30, 2006, 06:59:45 PM »
I really like th look of your bed so far.  I'm curious if you are going to cover it in sheet metal to give it a factory like appearance - maybe something with a stock tailgate?  I think that would look sweet.  Anyone with a welder and a chop saw can make a flatbed, but you definately have more skill and vision than just anyone.   :beerchug:
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

BCD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -79
  • Male Posts: 70
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Apr 30, 2006, 11:22:44 PM »
 :bowdown: beautiful work so far, I have an idea for you that I would assume you have explored already, but thought I'd suggest anyway. How about grafting in a corner window on the rear corners of the new cab similar to the back of the Land Cruiser. I think that would also look unique, and as you seem to have an interest in LC's it would fit you nice  :twocents:
-Brian

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2006, 08:09:48 AM »
very nice work, i'm really dig'n that custom extended cab, especially because its a 1st gen. Keep up the work!  post progress pics!

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2006, 07:02:29 PM »
thanks for all the sugestions and comments.... its sure encouraging to hear good things to keep a person motivated when undertaking such a big project....(or in my case... 3 projects..)

anyways, I have been thinking of ways of incorporating some landcruiser into my mini truck being that I have a garage-full of cruiser junk... I think I am gonna keep it simple and just use my landcruiser folding rear jumper seats as rear seats for this truck.... that way I can still maintain a lot of room back there...

I am going to be making an outside skin for the box out of 14 gauge steel and am trying to make it somewhat factory looking although it is tougher than previously thought. I have a couple of spare tailgates too that I will be cutting the  stamped "TOYOTA" out of and custom making a tailgate that will be a little narrower and shorter as well...
the hardest thing I have found with making this box so far it just making sure that it is built straight.. I find 1x1 a little finiky to work with being that t doesnt take much to make it "pull" one way or another when welding.... so far so good though... it just takes patients, which i have plenty of fortunatelly..
here are some more progress pics that have already been posted on toontoys but I will post here too...

oh yeah... the generic trailer fenders i picked up for this thing werent wide enough so I bought a 3rd one and sectioned the pieces out of it and put them into the fenders in the truck..

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2006, 07:17:56 PM »
WoW     
The most thing i like is you have tons of space.  I can see my 30+ pk cooler  and grill and chairs fiting in there no problem.

roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2006, 07:32:24 PM »
I loooove this build up! It's coming along very nicely.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

Short_Bus

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Short Bus Rules
    • View Profile
    • We-Go-Offroad
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2006, 10:56:50 AM »
I personally think you need to paint it YELLOW and put a stop sign on the side!   :woohoo:
82 Yota
Propane Powered
5.29 Locked F&R
38" Beadlocked Swampers

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2006, 11:45:02 PM »
I'm really diggin this buildup too!  I have a pretty good mental picture of the bed and it should look pretty decent.  If you go with a 3rd door it'll be suicide, right?!  If I were to do it I couldn't see going to that much trouble and not going suicide.  It'd be pretty cool if you welded on some tabs and made the bedsides replacable too, just incase.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 800
  • Member since May '05
  • the rocscrambler's rock blazer
    • View Profile
    • Home of the rockscrambler
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2006, 08:51:07 PM »
lookin real good fj-rankenstein , I really like the way that beds lookin.
we're born,we roll over,we crawl,we walk,we run,we drive,we install cages,we wheel,we crawl,we roll over,the circle of life is complete.!

"we sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to bring violence upon those who would do us harm" to you I say thank you
87 Chevy K5 V10 tonka truck,87 Toyota 4runner
83 Jeep CJ8,sold-76 Dodge W200 & 87 Ford broncoII

toyotasarebetter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Oct '05
  • do it right the first time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2006, 08:19:52 PM »
wow you are... hmm creative??? well what ever works... how long is the frame...? the extra room would be sweety
85 toyota pickup, low end cam, 5 in alcan front springs all pro rears. 36 13.5 mickey tompsons... hysteer, 4 88s and detroits front and rear. u bolt flip rear... inboard shocks rear... bucket seats hurst shifter Bobbed bed. Doetch tech shocks..... and a heavy gas pedal... he he

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2006, 02:43:54 AM »
wow you are... hmm creative??? well what ever works... how long is the frame...? the extra room would be sweety
once again, thanks for all the good comments... the frame is from an 87 toyota pickup and the rear of the frame is cut up to the rear of the shackle mounts, so it is no longer than any 87 pickup.... in fact its probably shorter.. the extended cab combined with the short box makes the truck decievingly long..
I got more done on it tonight.... being that none of the body mounts line up, I had to cut them all off and start from scratch....until now it has been sitting on 2x4s for mock-up purposes....I got the front two cab mounts done and have started on the other 6.. it should be solidly mounted by next weekend and then i can finish the body.  pics to follow by weeks end...

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2006, 10:59:59 AM »
i am in love with those 2 landcruisers, those are soo sick

toy looks good to man  :thumbs:
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2006, 11:02:00 AM »
whoops  :smack:

doublepost
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Jun 01, 2006, 10:17:55 PM »
well, looks like I will have to build this truck for my first Black Hills Cruiser Classic... I really wanted to have my first classic in my first landcruiser but this will be cool enough...

I am giving myself as of this weekend 44 days to build the rest of my truck... the cruiser classic is the last week in July and I want to give myself at least a week of drivetime in the truck to make sure everything is good before I make an 11 hour drive to go wheel a vehicle that i am not used to.. :smack:

this weekend I am starting on my duel ultimate sinse I believe I have all the parts for that...I am also going to cut and turn a couple of diffs if time allows or at least disassemble everything and clean it up to get ready to turn...
 My engine is already mounted so thats one thing off my way as far as drivetrain goes....
I made body mounts and the cab is pretty much in place to on the frame so now its just assemble time...
 the rest should just be welding, some sheet metal work and more welding...I cant wait to have a finished truck!!!

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #83 on: Jun 02, 2006, 05:35:15 PM »
get r done

Greg W

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Jun 08, 2006, 01:27:48 PM »
and don't forget the pictures!!!!

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Jun 10, 2006, 10:25:10 AM »
last night I started tearing apart my front diff and will have it completely apart today...

Lori tore apart my first transfercase yestereday and she will take the next one apart today. for never doing mechanical work before she has a real skill for it.... and why not have her first project be my duel t-cases   :eyebrow:

I am renting a 4 inch pipe cutter today as well to cut and turn my knuckles on both the minitruck axle and rankensteins axle as well...
 Oh yeah, i did some sand blasting too....

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #86 on: Jun 10, 2006, 10:32:16 AM »
lol that willl keep the woman bizzy  U cooking her dinner 2 night

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #87 on: Jun 10, 2006, 10:45:04 AM »
:sofa:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

fj-rankenstein [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Jun 10, 2006, 12:56:09 PM »
lol that willl keep the woman bizzy  U cooking her dinner 2 night

well I aready made lunch for her, so yeah....I owe her at least that

speedemon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Nov '05
  • When's winter?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Jun 19, 2006, 06:15:02 PM »
wow.  i like it.  now i have to completley re-think my build cause i happen to have an extra cab lying around.  so many ideas running through my head now. 
2002 Tacoma sold
'84 pickup SOLD!!
'83 pickup will rise again
'86 sas runner DD
'89 runner project (for sale)
F-Toy build in progress