Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 392670 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #720 on: Apr 03, 2017, 04:45:28 AM »
:beerchug: glad you got it running

Hey ovrarok,

Thank you!  Yes, it felt better today being able to drive it again.  I still have some "bugs" to work out, but I guess that comes with keeping an old truck alive.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017, 06:37:27 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: Apr 03, 2017, 07:37:05 AM »
Now this is more like it!
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #722 on: Apr 03, 2017, 08:57:35 AM »
Glad it's coming along. Do you have an EGR valve on that engine? If so, try disconnecting the vacuum to it and testing for the misfire. If you added larger pistons, valves, header your vacuum will likely increase and could be causing the EGR valve to open too soon. I had to put a restrictor in mine for it to run right

Yes, it has an EGR valve.  I will check it.  And, the cam profile can change the vacuum.

Thanks-a-million!

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #723 on: Apr 03, 2017, 09:00:09 AM »
Now this is more like it!

If this engine doesn't perform like it should, I may do an engine swap..... or go to a carb.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017, 09:39:16 AM by Gnarly4X »

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #724 on: Apr 03, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »
Note:

For as long as I can remember I've had an occasional 'ting' in the driveline somewhere.    Noticed when windows open (esp. rear), no radio, and changing direction of travel (F->R,R->F).    Still haven't figured it out, but it hasn't hurt anything..........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: Apr 03, 2017, 02:24:18 PM »
Hey emsvitil,

The vibration...  Well, before I parked the truck in 2013, the tires were fresh and balanced well.  I cleaned and relubed the U-joints and spline and was careful with re-installing them, so I'd be surprised if they are loose.  The amount of vibration feels like tires, but could be in drive line.  I will check it out, and then have Discount Tire look at the tires... geezzz I would hate to have to buy brand new tires again!... but I should have blocked up the truck.

The clank at start and back up...  that sounds like very sharp metallic clank with a very slight lag.  I will check motor mounts and drive line.  I may have to put it up on jack stands and get under the truck with my wife doing the shifting test?

The misfire... it has a very slight misfire during low RPM between off idle and 25 MPH, just driving slowly in 1st gear. I don't think its spark or ignition timing.  It could be air/fuel mixture? I will pull the plugs this afternoon.  I will do some diags on the ignitor and coil.  Yes, the issue could be 3 other bad injector connectors!.. or some wires in the harness that are not getting a solid connection or ground.

I am still wondering about this cam profile.  IF, after about 200 miles, and all my normal "tweaking" and verifying all systems are performing normal, it doesn't smooth out, I may consider swapping in a different camshaft.  I can re-install the stock cam that was in the old head as a test.

I don't have the pleasure of previously breaking in a rebuilt 22RE so I don't have anything to compare to.  I realize at only 45 or so miles on a break in its still "stiff".  I have read that the ECU "learns", but I would like to understand what EXACTLY does that mean.  The ECU and input from the sensors have electrical ranges and limitations - what are those limitations?

This rebuild has been a real challenge and interesting.  I sincerely appreciate all the input, great advice, shared knowledge, and the poking fun at me.  My truck is my second "hobby" right now, and it would not be as fun if it weren't for all of you who contribute to my experience!!  Thank you with HUGE-ness!

Gnarls.

The metallic sound on take off/back up is usually indicative of bad u-joints, even freshly greased worn ones will "tink"

As far as a lot of the sounds go, they were likely there before, its just been 4yrs since you heard them, and now with the "new engine" you are hyper sensitive to all the noises you are hearing.

Can't judge the performance until at least 500 miles have passed, by then the engine should have gone through several heat cycles, breaking everything in, until then as long as it runs smoothly, wouldn't touch it.  Also won't be able to judge its true performance until you run 4.56's for the 31's, or slap on a set of 28's.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: Apr 03, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »
Yeah they can "tink" for a long time if you keep grease in them.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #727 on: Apr 03, 2017, 06:40:35 PM »
Note:

For as long as I can remember I've had an occasional 'ting' in the driveline somewhere.    Noticed when windows open (esp. rear), no radio, and changing direction of travel (F->R,R->F).    Still haven't figured it out, but it hasn't hurt anything..........

"It's a big ting" (Cool Runnings 1993)...  :greengrin:

In all my vehicles, including 5 trucks, I never had a "ting" in the drive train that was normal.   :shake:

There will be NO permanent, occasional, or abnormal tinging in my truck. :thumbs:

Now... In my trucks with Detroit Lockers and Lock Rights... I had clunking and banging... but that was normal.  :gap:

No ting is a good ting. :beerchug:

Gnarls. :spin:

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017, 07:25:38 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #728 on: Apr 03, 2017, 06:43:08 PM »
Yeah they can "tink" for a long time if you keep grease in them.

Only if I use "tink grease"!  :rofl:

Gnarls. :D

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #729 on: Apr 03, 2017, 07:13:18 PM »
The metallic sound on take off/back up is usually indicative of bad u-joints, even freshly greased worn ones will "tink"

As far as a lot of the sounds go, they were likely there before, its just been 4yrs since you heard them, and now with the "new engine" you are hyper sensitive to all the noises you are hearing.

Can't judge the performance until at least 500 miles have passed, by then the engine should have gone through several heat cycles, breaking everything in, until then as long as it runs smoothly, wouldn't touch it.  Also won't be able to judge its true performance until you run 4.56's for the 31's, or slap on a set of 28's.

Hey Snowtoy,

Yes, could be U-joints, but there was zero tinking when I parked it.  If a U-joint goes bad I usually get a mild vibration. 
The U-joints in the rear drive shaft are fairly fresh, but since starting this rebuild, I won't be shocked at anything that is unexpected.

I agree that I may be hypersensitive, but I've always been hypersensitive to noises, vibrations, and leaks.  Even though its been 4 years, I have a vivid auditory memory of my engine sounds.  This is my 3rd truck with a 22, so I'm very familiar with how it sounds when its running like it should.

Whether or not it takes 500 miles to break in a rebuilt 22RE is subjective.  I should know more in a few months.  I do believe, being around race built engines and high performance engines most of my life, that I can tell if an engine is "feeling" right.  The throttle response at this point is not what I expected and I believe there is some tweaking I will need to do, but I expected tweaking.

I certainly can judge its performance without changing tire sizes or gear ratios.  I can compare the engine's performance before the rebuild because it will have the same tires and same gear ratio.  I may end up with a lower ring & pinion ratio, but that was not my intention when I started this rebuild.

Arguably... Changing gear ratios or tire sizes has nothing to do with the engine's performance. At this point, I am only interested in the engine's performance, NOT the truck's performance with gears and tires.  If I built two 22RE engines and tested them on a SuperFlo 902S engine dyno, and one produced 110 HP and one produced 150 HP, which one would make my 5-speed truck perform better if my truck had 31" tires and 4:10 ring & pinion?

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017, 07:24:53 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #730 on: Apr 04, 2017, 04:25:09 AM »
...  Also won't be able to judge its true performance until you run 4.56's for the 31's, or slap on a set of 28's.

Hi Snowtoy,

Gear ratios.. We have already discussed this topic… but for more insight into my thinking…

I realize that changing the ring & pinion in my truck closer to factory stock (smaller tire diameter) will improve my seat-of-the-pants drivability.

This is just my weird thinking… 
There are thousands of posts on forums discussing the modifications of 20/22s. I believe the 22R carb’d engine will allow more power gains with relatively simple modifications – intake, cam, and exhaust – than the 22RE ECU controlled EFI. In my own experience with simple mods (Double Gnarly Air Filter Mod) to my 22R was very noticeable.  H8PVMNT's thread on tweaking a carb’d engine proves to me that simple modifications can produce significant power improvements and throttle response.

In the early design of the 22s, I believe that the 22RE, with its sensors and ECU, “controls” and restricts power output. The reason is it’s designed to meet very strict USA, Federal and State emissions regulations and gas mileage.

So… when we attempt to modify it to get more juice out of it, the ECU says “Uh-Uh”.. “gotta keep those emissions and MPG in check!”  The 8 primary sensors (Air Flow Meter, Throttle Position Sensor, Water Thermo Sensor, Air Thermo Sensor, O2 Sensor, Start Injector Sensor, Start Injector Time Switch, Ignition Primary Signal, and Starter Signal) in a 1986 22RE input “data” to the ECU.  The ECU is programmed to keep engine output within a “boundary”.  My 1986 California Longbed Automatic 22RE was rated at 116 HP.  I don’t believe the Japanese engineers purposely designed the 1986 22RE and programmed the sensors and ECU, sold into the USA general automotive consumer market, to produce 150 HP… just my opinion.

Does the factory stock 22RE restrict performance gains produced with after market modifications designed to increase torque and HP?

The 22R, however, does not have the limiting controls of an ECU and sensor inputs.

I have been told by very reputable Toyota engine builders who “claim” that modifications to a 22RE will produce noticeable X to XX improvement in HP and Torque numbers.  However, I have also been told by very reputable Toyota engine builders who “claim” that basic modifications, i.e. cam and exhaust will NOT produce noticeable X to XX improvement.

And, of course there are all those people out there who “claim” (myself included) to experience noticeable power gains with their modications in both their 20R, 22R, and 22RE engines.

I have spent many hours doing mock dyno tests on my desktop dyno software.  I see numbers on paper and some have been substantiated by guys I’ve communicated with.

Here’s my bottom-line:  I want to find out for MYSELF what this engine will or will not produce – measured by my seat-of-the-pants butt dyno OR on a chassis dyno – with my specific engine modifications.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2017, 06:58:21 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #731 on: Apr 04, 2017, 07:32:34 PM »
UPDATE:  4-4-17 PM

I put another 20 miles on the engine today.  I tach'd it up to 5,000 RPMs 3 or 4 times :yikes:  I seems to have plenty of torque in 5th gear @ 2,000 RPM = about 53 MPH.

The vibration seems to be tires – crap!

It still doesn’t start from a cold start as quickly as it should… I will be doing some diags and fine tuning Thursday.

If this engine (with the 261C cam) produces the torque numbers at the RPMs as indicated on my Engine Analyzer software, it will be exactly where I want my torque range to be for 80 MPH in both 5th and 4th gears – with my stock 4.10 ring & pinion and 31” tires!!

For example, if I’m cruising down the freeway in 5th gear @ 80 MPH - the engine will be producing 152 lbs of torque at 3022 RPMs, which is the beginning of its predicted peak torque range.

If I start up a steep uphill climb, and I have to shift down to 4th gear, the RPMs about 3555, which is the end of the peak torque range, about 151 lbs of torque @ 80 MPH.  This engine should be perfectly happy at 3500 to 3600 RPM all day long.

Gnarls

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #732 on: Apr 05, 2017, 05:19:05 AM »
Experience is a great teacher. 

As I work out the issues on my truck after this engine rebuild and having resurrected it from being stored for 4 years... I did more research on tire flat-spotting.

Well, it looks like I have stupidly have ruined my fresh set of Michelins. :smack:  According to what I've read, temporary flat-spotting is fairly common when a vehicle sits on it tires from overnight to several days.  :psss: PERMANENT flat-spotting can occur when a vehicle sits for several months!  :yikes:  I will do one more test and air up the tires to near max PSI, drive it down the freeway for an  hour or so and see what happens, but it appears that if the flat spots come out it will be a miracle! :crossed:

I have never "stored" a vehicle.  Experience is a great teacher.   Believing that I was going to store my truck for an extended period,  I should have drained my fuel tank and blocked up the truck.  I should have completely drained the coolant from the block.  :hammer:

By the time I get my truck where I want it, I will be over $6,000 invested since starting my rebuild.  :willynilly:

Gnarls. :spin:

« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2017, 06:40:05 AM by Gnarly4X »

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: Apr 05, 2017, 07:19:38 AM »
I agree with everything except this statement.  :qtip:
"I should have completely drained the coolant from the block"
Please explain why?
I think You could cause more issues having the cooling system completely exposed.
I could see draining the cooling system and refilling with fresh.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: Apr 05, 2017, 08:23:24 AM »
You could also air the tires down a bit and force them to flex.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #735 on: Apr 05, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »
You could also air the tires down a bit and force them to flex.

Did that.

Gnarls.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: Apr 05, 2017, 09:34:31 AM »
Michelins are a waste of money.  When I worked at the tire shop, Michelins were the worst tire.  They loved to separate and blow out.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #737 on: Apr 05, 2017, 10:01:17 AM »
Michelins are a waste of money.  When I worked at the tire shop, Michelins were the worst tire.  They loved to separate and blow out.

Get outta TOWN!!  :yikes:

Gnarls.  :dunno:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #738 on: Apr 05, 2017, 11:22:10 AM »
I agree with everything except this statement.  :qtip:
"I should have completely drained the coolant from the block"
Please explain why?
I think You could cause more issues having the cooling system completely exposed.
I could see draining the cooling system and refilling with fresh.

Over time the water and ethylene glycol will separate. And any air space will be get exposed to water vapor and moisture.. promoting rust!!

Gnarls.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #739 on: Apr 05, 2017, 01:22:36 PM »
My BFG ATs sit for months at a time and don't flatspot.............................
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #740 on: Apr 05, 2017, 01:36:11 PM »
My BFG ATs sit for months at a time and don't flatspot.............................

Yeah.. apparently the degree of flat-spotting depends on the structure of the tire.

I think even though I had them air'd up to 45 PSI, they are fubar'd after 4 years!!  :thumbdown:

Gnarls.  :- :cheese:

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #741 on: Apr 05, 2017, 02:01:16 PM »
So, only use them off-road.

Might even smooth out the off-road driving.

:think:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #742 on: Apr 05, 2017, 02:34:35 PM »
So, only use them off-road.

Might even smooth out the off-road driving.

:think:

Yes, I could use them off-road, but I would have to trailer the truck, because the vibration on the highway is horrible!

Gnarls.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: Apr 06, 2017, 07:11:28 AM »
Jack up the axles and spin the tires by hand.  That will show you if you have a separation. 

The next time you are at a Costco or tire shop that sells Michelins, grab the sidewalls, and flex them.  Then push on the tread face.  There is nothing to Michelins.  Then compare it to another tire. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #744 on: Apr 06, 2017, 10:22:12 AM »
The next time you are at a Costco or tire shop that sells Michelins, grab the sidewalls, and flex them.  Then push on the tread face.  There is nothing to Michelins.  Then compare it to another tire. 

I am not a tire expert by any stretch, although I've been the consumer of all kinds of tires in a variety of applications for the past 50+ years, so I have experience with a number of major brands.

So far, I've been very happy with the Michelin tires I've purchased for both my Toyota cars and Toyota trucks.

For many years Michelin tires have been a top rated tire manufacturer by many tire distributors, test labs, and consumers.

Comparing a tire's performance by me "feeling" it may not be the most accurate way to discover it's quality.

Using "feel" by hand to evaluate the quality of an object or material may work for toilet paper, but could be deceptive for evaluating the performance of many different materials, substances, and parts.... examples:  carbon fiber vs aluminum, Kevlar vs leather, titanium vs steel, rayon vs cotton.

That's just my opinion - it may be worthless.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2017, 10:29:08 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #745 on: Apr 07, 2017, 08:07:17 PM »
I’m working on getting this engine fully broken in, and getting it tuned so it will start up like I believe it should.

My first 1986 4X4 Longbed Automatic, 22RE would start up every time without touching the gas pedal.. just turning the key.  And it didn’t matter what the outside air temp was.

Yesterday I tried adjusting idle screw on the throttle linkage according to LCE’s PDF – Throttle Position Tech & Adjustment Procedure.

It didn’t work for me.

So this afternoon I got the engine up to operating temp  I loosened the idle stop allen screw and nut on the throttle linkage and simply adjusted the screw with the allen wrench just before it cracked the throttle body butterfly, which would raise the idle RPM, as the screw sat on the damper.  Then I adjusted the idle screw valve on the throttle body so the idle RPM is about 800.

I will see how it “cold starts” tomorrow.

Gnarls.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: Apr 08, 2017, 03:42:02 AM »
Is there a chance the plug on your cold start injector is crusty like the others?
– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #747 on: Apr 08, 2017, 04:01:07 AM »
Is there a chance the plug on your cold start injector is crusty like the others?

I inspected it during my rebuild, and it looked OK.. carbon on it, but I don't know "what" is should look like. I will pull it and look at it again.  As with most Toy 22RE parts, those little Toyota engineers are REALLY proud of that part!

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #748 on: Apr 09, 2017, 03:24:47 AM »
UPDATE:  4-9-17 am

I have almost 150 miles on the engine.  The flat spots on the tires don’t seem to get better and the shaking of the truck is too much, so I’m going to put a new set on… CRAP!

I notice that the engine bay gets very hot on the exhaust manifold side. I suspect there is some restriction and back pressure in the stock exhaust pipe from manifold back to the cat and muffler and really heating up the stock exhaust manifold.  With the larger valves and 261C cam, I know a header and opened exhaust is next on my list.

The engine cold started better yesterday after I adjusted the throttle linkage and closed the butterfly on the throttle body… but is still doesn’t start like it should.

I haven’t played with ignition timing yet, but I want to get few more hundred miles on the engine.  Right now the timing light says it’s advanced more than spec by about 5 degrees.

I will pull the spark plugs today and see what they look like, and re-check/adjust the valve lash.

I may be wrong (could be my hyper analytical syndrome), but I believe this engine should sound a little quieter.  The engine has a noise I don’t like. It’s constant and parallels RPM, like a bearing? I’m not sure yet where it’s coming from. I’ll use my engine stethoscope today and see if I can hone in on the sound.  I’m going to have a couple “engine builder experts” listen to it next week and see what they say.

It seems to rev nicely from off-idle to about 2500 RPM, then it pulls harder to about 4,500. It will rev easily to 5,000 and still has some left.  I’m surprised how much torque it has at 2000 RPM in 5th gear.

I filled the tank yesterday so I’ll be doing the first MPG check.  For the initial firing and first 100+ miles I had 91 octane in it, this fill up I put in 89.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2017, 03:45:39 AM by Gnarly4X »

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #749 on: Apr 09, 2017, 04:17:50 AM »
The sound could be alternator or water pump or power steering or AC or any of the idler pulleys........

Pull the belts off and see what happens.

How's the cat?   It could be the restriction.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15