Author Topic: Wenhar's Question Thread  (Read 72611 times)

Wenhar

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -38
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Re: Wenhar's Question Thread
« on: May 04, 2011, 12:43:10 PM »
not to mention that neither the steering arm or bottom caps on the knuckles have any kind of seal on them, which would cause the "fluid" the leak out the bottom, or in most cases, cause water to get into your axle during water crossings and why most people wouldn't let the axle go 30 years without maintenance.  and what about the trunions?  

Good questions and concerns,

The trunnions are happy, while the lower trunnion is okay no matter what stuff you use its the upper trunnion that wears and goes out first, so I have noticed,

Now prolonged 2 wd mode will cause premature failure, so operate 4x4 once in a while so as lube is flung up on the bearings,

This Rheological aspect is hard for some to grasp, but at the full level in the yota axle the trunnion is darn near sitting in the grease,
Any

Any agitation of this grease will lube the upper bearing,,,, and as far as moisture intrusion, well this grease forms a viscous seal around the wiper, even when level is unmaintained, the felt, a porous material absorbs the fluid and thru "Capillary" action coats the entire knuckle,,

Water dont get in there, and if it does, this proprietary grease absorbs the moisture and draws it away from the steel parts,,,

Now I have been at this a while and you can go to the4x4network and read all of this stuff, sorry its a big mess of folks calling me a idiot, liar and all this stupid stuff but
Some good information

Thanks Frank