Author Topic: The quit hijacking Glen's Natasha thread...thread!  (Read 6773 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
The quit hijacking Glen's Natasha thread...thread!
« on: Mar 21, 2009, 04:48:31 PM »
This seems to me to be a great time to talk about this.

I see celebrity worship as a symptom of a society lost.

In the olden days, even before I was born, actors were thought to be a lower class than "polite" society. I don't feel that way at all. I just don't feel their art is an art at all...especially these days. Most movies now are not theater, rather they seem to be technical, special effects extravaganzas. Also, there seems to be a lack of originality in filmdom today...every other movie is either a remake or a comic book rip off.

I think the main thing I have against actors is their arrogance (egged on by their insecurities), them thinking that they have a rare skill. I don't see it as a skill, rather I see it as in the same light as children playing make believe or as just good liars. As anyone who has ever dated a member of the opposite sex can tell you...we are all actors, some...are just better at it than others.

While I wholeheartedly I support their right to any forum available to them, when a person uses their celebrity as a soapbox to give voice to their political views and I find those views wrongheaded...I vote with my dollars in the only way that will have some small effect on their status as celebrities. Obviously...I don't see many movies...until they are on TV. I was praying with all my heart that Peter Jackson (LOTR) wouldn't say something stupid and prevent me from seeing all three movies.

It's not just the actors. I know everyone has seen, at one time or another, a blurb on the network news or even a local station...that a long time camera man or editor died and they give us a little bio-obit-tribute on that person...as if we should all take part in a moment of silence.

My heroes are Joe and Jill Sixpack...the schlubs who get up every day and make this country work, even if they feel like crap and hate their job. They do it without fanfare and without glory...they do it because they have responsibilities. I especially respect those who are not only willing but eager to put their life at risk for others (Blackdog, Red and others on this board).

The only celebrity death that even remotely bummed my was SRV...he was just getting free from drugs and was really coming into his own. BUT, I never attended a candlelight vigil in his memory...I just regretted his passing. For craps sake there are people who, still today, visit Graceland and mourn Elvis (he has left the building).

When my wife was killed it affected me and my daughter...it was not a national tragedy, neither should it have been.

Our values a horribly skewed.

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Well said  :thumbs:  Stocker and I have had discussions on celebrities and their impact on people's political and world views and both agreed that once a person becomes a famous actor, they should no longer be able to voice their views, political or otherwise.  As sad as it is that it's true, there are just far too many weak minded and ignorant people who are willing to attach themselves in any way possible to celebs.  Is it because they're too dumb to form their own opinion, or because they feel it somehow links them to said actor?  Don't know, don't care, it's just idiotic.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
Is it because they're too dumb to form their own opinion, or because they feel it somehow links them to said actor? 

Hmmm, I never thought of that angle! Lost people will try almost anything to "bond" with the objects of their desire...from Mark David Chapman to Robert Bardo to annual pilgrimages to see the King's house.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
I feel if someone famus said it that's all I need. I'll do what ever they tell me to.
same goes for the voices in my head.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
I feel if someone famus said it that's all I need. I'll do what ever they tell me to.
same goes for the voices in my head.

I was worried that this line from my first post would offend the voices in your head  :gap:
As anyone who has ever dated a member of the opposite sex can tell you...

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar

I was worried that this line from my first post would offend the voices in your head  :gap:

What ever! I don't care if you are all messed up. unless some one famus tells me to care.
or the voices in my head get involed.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile

What ever! I don't care if you are all messed up. unless some one famus tells me to care.
or the voices in my head get involed.

You know...you could really get ahead (no innuendo) if you'd trade the voices in your head for an official "Tell you what to see and say Obama teleprompter"!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
:headscratch:   wow  i started the post but havent been back there, did i miss something??  i was looking for some :boobs: pics of her to post
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
Our values a horribly skewed.

Totally hear what you're saying, and yes people who actually "worship" celebrities and heed what they have to say about politics or anything need to get their values in check.  But I certainly don't feel like anyone's values here are skewed just by caring that this woman passed.  In my opinion there is a HUGE difference between celebrity worship and being a fan of someone.  I respect your opinion that acting isn't an art, and you are very right, 98% of the movies made these days feature just about as much "talent" as a Britney Spears song.  And actors like Tom Cruise who do use their celebrity to spew BS all over the place are a joke.  But there are a select few who truly are talented, make good movies, and then fade back into the background to just live their lives.  One actress who I really admire is Kate Winslet.  That certainly doesn't mean that I feel she deserves any more respect or recognition than firefighters, soldiers, police officers, stay-at-home mothers or the coal miner.  This Natasha Richardson...I think it says something that hardly anyone here knew who she was.  That means she wasn't putting herself out there in the media at all times, pushing herself and her opinions down people's throats just because she felt like she could.  In fact she mostly did Broadway rather than bigger movies.  And she was married for like 14 years and had two sons, to her own husband, after they were married.  Imagine that?  Doesn't sound like typical Hollywood trash who needed to be taken out to the curb to me.  Sounds to me like a woman who's job just happened to be acting.

Now the issue of the media putting celebrities on a pedastal is another issue for sure, and obviously there are people eating it right up and feeding into it or it wouldn't happen.  I don't know what the answer is to that.  But I don't feel like a handful people on a 4wd forum agreeing "aw man that sucks" about something like this means we're morons or don't have our values straight.  It's not like we're ignoring other threads about the REAL people on here who experience hardship and loss in their lives--THOSE are the people whose pain we REALLY feel and offer sincere and heartfelt condolences to.  And of COURSE the little people and heroes in this world are the ones who SHOULD be on the pedastals.  I agree with that 100%.

Soooooo.....yeah.  haha.  I guess at this point I'm just talking in circles.  But I guess my point is simply that I do hear what you're saying. I know you probably don't really get my point of view.  I just hope you do realize that I certainly don't put celebrities ABOVE any one else in this world.  And I want you to have this.  :smooch:
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
Thanks for the kiss!

BUT LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!!!!!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
:headscratch:   wow  i started the post but havent been back there, did i miss something??  i was looking for some :boobs: pics of her to post

No, not really. Go back to sleep.

Just got a little off topic.  :gap:

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
it wasnt about politics or ANYTHING for that matter
I found it sad that a actress i liked ("Parent Trap" remake was the only movie i recall) but  she was a good actress.
 i posted the other thread  simply as a "she passed, she's gone, farewell"  and that was it,  this lady didnt spew :pokinit: everytime she opened her mouth as some do, the most notible that comes to mind is Jane Fonda, anyone that could go to a prison camp and spit in the faces of a US soldier's deserves  a starving rat enema.

I deleted that thread, maybe someone will delete this one
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
Thanks for the kiss!

BUT LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!!!!!

:rofl2:    :rofl:

WOW....we won't even get into a discussion about THAT kid.  :crazy:  That was way frightening.  :shudder:

RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
Jane Fonda,

I deleted that thread, maybe someone will delete this one

I'd like to bend her over stick a .45 up her butt...never mind.

Why in the world would you delete the other thread? Just 'cause I don't see the big deal shouldn't affect your thoughts or ideas...

unless we're talking politics!  :gap:

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
it had become disrespectful i thought to a lady that really never did anything

i gotta take a :bath:

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
People die everyday and no one gives a damn.  Just because someone is on the tv or movie screen shouldn't make any difference in how the death is viewed.  Maybe I'm cold but it's just life to me.  If you can't deal with it maybe you should quit....
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??