Author Topic: The Official 3RZ Knowledge and Database Thread  (Read 911289 times)

n6dlh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since May '14
    • View Profile
OK finally pulled the plugs so you can take a look. I had replaced these probably 2,000-3,000 miles ago when I was checking things.  They are all 4 black and were wet with gas when I pulled them...  Clearly over fueling.   TPS and MAF just replaced.  I also unhooked O2 sensors to try to see if it would snap out of it in closed loop and no change then either so I would guess I can rule out O2 sensors.  Fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator were replaced when I started having the glitch. 

Could this be as stupid as having it jump time?  I had a buddy's 22re act like this years ago and it was 12 teeth off on the timing chain.

Hopefully your 3RZ swap is setup to take full advantage of the OBDII system, and you are able to scan ECM. It would really cost less money in the long run to invest in a decent scan tool like Autoinginutiy or something that will allow you to look at the data stream. Hell I have a blue tooth dongle that hooks to my android phone for 14 bucks. It will allow me to look at generic OBDII data on it, nice thing to carry in the car, since I am not going to carry my $5K scan tool everywhere I go.

Intermittent problems can be a pain, but there are some things that will help to try and narrow down what system is being effected. The fuel saturation can also be from lack of spark, but it is best to cover the basics. If timing jumped it may have cut off, but not likely to restart and drive, and even if it did would usually run poor. A cheap vacuum guage from harbor freight will tell you a whole lot. Low general vacuum can be an indication of timing problems or breathing problems. Most of the time 1 tooth equals about 12 degrees of ignition timing, so look for vacuum down below 15hig. The scan tool can tell you a lot, the ECT and IAT temps are primary sensors, and can cause some massive over fueling and no starts. You need to be able to pull a little data to sort this out, but I am willing to try and help. I will post a little more later, dang windows update restarting my PC!
1989 4Runner 3rz Swap