Author Topic: Toyota Chinook Build!! Mach 2.  (Read 172019 times)

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota Chinook Build!! Mach 2.
« Reply #750 on: Apr 18, 2021, 07:47:38 PM »
Right-side up or upside down, I'm totally green with envy. You have one sweet rig!

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: Aug 11, 2021, 11:30:27 AM »
Got alot happening for the chinook build.

Actually had a plan to relocate the chinook camper to my 1989 single cab long bed I just drove down 5 k miles from Alaska.  .  And the 1980 truck was going to become the candidate for a long bed trekker build with a flip- top ceiling. ......

And then ...

This happened

My whole passenger side was driven up on from  taillight to head light by gold chevy Tahoe that lost control his rig on the highway. . He actually drove up on to my windshield & hood before diving off into the person infront of me.

Still waiting on what Insurance wants to do with it. But either way I'm not sure the chinook will be going on the 89' any more ...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Toyota + rv camper; you'll never need another car, you'll never need another home. = perfect

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: Aug 11, 2021, 11:37:36 AM »
As for what was going to be the long bed trekker build on the tan 1980 .

I'm now sitting on a 79' - 83'  rear axel I no longer have a need for, I just bought from my local toyota yard.

That WAS going to replace the 91' I have under the truck right now. .

But now after the accident taking down the 89' truck, the chinook will likely stay where it is. On the back of the 80' (which a lot of people seem to be happy about anyway) hahaha.

So if any one has interest or knows of someone looking for a 79' - 83' axel housing and shafts, I'm selling! Hopefully it can go to someone who will put them use.

Since I had a major plot twist!

Toyota + rv camper; you'll never need another car, you'll never need another home. = perfect

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #753 on: Aug 11, 2021, 04:31:55 PM »
The insurance company will consider that totaled.

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: Aug 11, 2021, 06:28:37 PM »
The insurance company will consider that totaled.
Oh for a certainty . Unfortunately

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,238
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #755 on: Aug 12, 2021, 06:01:13 AM »
Hey 4x…

I always admire those that are keeping these old classics alive.

I didn’t find the timing issue. What is the issue?

Regarding swaps, for my Toyota pickups, I’ve done a hundred in my head over the years.  I always hesitate and believe there’s a lot more to a successfully completed swap with no ongoing complications than what is often described in these forums… just my limited experience.  Yes, there are some very happy swappers out there.

If it were me, I’d keep the 22RE engine and if the mileage is high and it gets tired, buy a quality long block or do a full rebuild if you have the skills and tools. You can get a nice boost in power with a header & exhaust and a reputable well-known high flow head and a good torquey cam.

All 3 of my early Toyotas – 2 1986 22RE and 1 1985 22R – did not have the cruise power to blast up steep grades or give me the option of doing a quick passing action on the flat. I just accepted that it’s a truck and not Supra and I’m used to shifting down keeping the RPMs up to 4,000 and getting over the grade a little slower than Big Mike’s Taco passing me on my left.

The key to optimizing a comfortable cruising speed, is getting the peak engine torque at the MPH you want to cruise at. I want my peak torque to be around 3,000 RPMs because my highway MPH is between 70 and 75.  Ring & pinions and tires, of course, can be a factor in gearing.

On your tach needle – make sure it is not rubbing on the backing plate and I’d use a drop of silicone spray on the shaft.

As you know, eliminating any excess weight can make a noticeable difference.  I see you have a bar bumper on the front.  When I bought my current 1986 it had one of those, I removed it immediately and was surprised how much it weighs.

That’s a nice rig and enjoy reading and seeing your ongoing project.

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: Aug 12, 2021, 05:01:08 PM »
Hey 4x…

Regarding swaps, for my Toyota pickups, I’ve done a hundred in my head over the years.  I always hesitate and believe there’s a lot more to a successfully completed swap with no ongoing complications than what is often described in these forums… just my limited experience.  Yes, there are some very happy swappers out there.

If it were me, I’d keep the 22RE engine and if the mileage is high and it gets tired, buy a quality long block or do a full rebuild if you have the skills and tools. You can get a nice boost in power with a header & exhaust and a reputable well-known high flow head and a good torquey cam.

All 3 of my early Toyotas – 2 1986 22RE and 1 1985 22R – did not have the cruise power to blast up steep grades or give me the option of doing a quick passing action on the flat. I just accepted that it’s a truck and not Supra and I’m used to shifting down keeping the RPMs up to 4,000 and getting over the grade a little slower than Big Mike’s Taco passing me on my left.

The key to optimizing a comfortable cruising speed, is getting the peak engine torque at the MPH you want to cruise at. I want my peak torque to be around 3,000 RPMs because my highway MPH is between 70 and 75.  Ring & pinions and tires, of course, can be a factor in gearing.

On your tach needle – make sure it is not rubbing on the backing plate and I’d use a drop of silicone spray on the shaft.

As you know, eliminating any excess weight can make a noticeable difference.  I see you have a bar bumper on the front.  When I bought my current 1986 it had one of those, I removed it immediately and was surprised how much it weighs.

Thanks so much for the feed back.

I'll do a drop of silicone spray down the shafts for the tach.

Id like to keep the bull bar up front. I kept off the original 1977 chinook truck so a momento and I like the stout protection ive needed from it already, plus its a nice place to hop on for a quick seat.

I most definitely will be shedding weight however with the next interior build . (Coming soon) . This 4th floor plan, current, was actually built entirely out of scrap wood scavenged from dumpsters! And pieces of red oak from a near by sawmill. . Basically what im saying is its by far the most dense and heaviest build to date.
So this upcoming 5th floor plan will be much lighter. With the weight factor in mind. Along with weight placement and distribution.

And I appreciate what you're saying bout the 22re / motor swap decision. 

I do love my 4 banger. I actually got the long block off a gentleman who had been following this forum from way back when i 1st started.
He shipped it too me. And we've yet to never meet. But I've appreciated him helping out at the time , and never forgot it.

I guess I just wonder a 4.3 from say maybe a 2000 blazer will perform better with comparable MPG, and better torque/hp. To my 22re which really works to move the chinook.

I'm tipping the scales just over 5000 lbs right now. 

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,238
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #757 on: Aug 12, 2021, 06:15:20 PM »

....  I guess I just wonder a 4.3 from say maybe a 2000 blazer will perform better with comparable MPG, and better torque/hp. To my 22re which really works to move the chinook.

Hey 4x...

It's interesting that you mention the Chevy 4.3 swap.  As much as I have always wanted to swap in a V-8 into one of my early pickups, the best swap in my opinion is the Chevy V-6 4.3 Vortec.

There is list of very good reasons why that swap is considered by some be the smartest swap for an early Toyota truck.  If I were going do a swap and be realistic about knowing I would have all the power I need, excellent fuel mileage, legendary high mileage reliability, very low maintenance, and decades and decades of never having to worry about finding spare parts, a Chevy V-6 4.3 Vortec would be my smartest choice.

I'm sure there are lots of opinions on keeping it "Toyota", but that would not a factor for my decision to go to the time and expense to do a swap for more power.

For your vehicle, and desire to travel to many places, while enjoying your classic RV style vehicle, the Chevy 4.3 would be a wise choice.

Here's a very interesting in depth article on that engine swap.

https://www.advanceadapters.com/tech-vault/1-engine-swap-info-toyota-trucks/

That's just my opinion - it may be worthless.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: Aug 12, 2021, 06:19:32 PM »
Hey 4x...

It's interesting that you mention the Chevy 4.3 swap.  As much as I have always wanted to swap in a V-8 into one of my early pickups, the best swap in my opinion is the Chevy V-6 4.3 Vortec.

There is list of very good reasons why that swap is considered by some be the smartest swap for an early Toyota truck.  If I were going do a swap and be realistic about knowing I would have all the power I need, excellent fuel mileage, legendary high mileage reliability, very low maintenance, and decades and decades of never having to worry about finding spare parts, a Chevy V-6 4.3 Vortec would be my smartest choice.

I'm sure there are lots of opinions on keeping it "Toyota", but that would not a factor for my decision to go to the time and expense to do a swap for more power.

For your vehicle, and desire to travel to many places, while enjoying your classic RV style vehicle, the Chevy 4.3 would be a wise choice.

Here's a very interesting in depth article on that engine swap.

https://www.advanceadapters.com/tech-vault/1-engine-swap-info-toyota-trucks/

That's just my opinion - it may be worthless.

No I appreciate it!

Just need to try and get this rear axle off my hands now! Haha. So I can redirect some funds to the new plans for the chinook

4xChinook4 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Toyota + rv = paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: Aug 12, 2021, 08:16:58 PM »
Hey 4x…

As for the timing issue. I havent looked into it any deeper. Somethings you just need to lay to rest for a bit and work on something else . Before it drives you mad !

But hopefully with the 89 truck in the mix now . It can maybe help pin point for me with a little side by side comparison

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: Sep 01, 2021, 03:14:08 PM »
Apple cider vinegar?  Wow.  Always something to learn.  Thank you.

Now I know why I stay on this forum.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...