Author Topic: 1979 1978 toyota chinook newport Overcharging voltage  (Read 5574 times)

Chinook/fj55

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
1979 1978 toyota chinook newport Overcharging voltage
« on: Aug 24, 2016, 08:58:21 PM »

HELLOOO

i have a 1978 or 79 Toyota chinook newport (and an 1969 fj55 landcrusier.)

my charge light is currently on inside the pickup/chinook and overcharging to 16V+ when rpms increase, idling at around 13.5.  when the charge light first came on and i starting exploring it i found water in the boot on the alternator...i removed the alternator had it bench tested at advanced and they said it was good.  so i just replaced the voltage regulator but still no charge, so i had that VR swapped under warranty with no luck in charging the system. 

took it to a shop here in pittsburgh and they put new B+ wires and a new voltage regulator and charged me $406!  and it started over charging then.  i took it upon myself to replace the alternator (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bosch-alternator-remanufactured-50-amps-al223x/26942673-P?navigationPath=L1*14920%7CL2*14999%7CL3*15587) thinking the diodes were just bad somehow and it's still overcharging. then i took it back to the shop and they said they replaced the VR again under warranty as it was supposedly ok when it left them the first time but i get one replacement part and they were done.  its still overcharging and they don't know why.  so thats where i'm at. All new voltage regulators were 6 bladed green-plug types.

ive had the battery tested at both autozone and advancedauto and the shop probably tested it too at least they better after all the money i paid them, damn.  ill take it in again and have the battery tested to see if its bad.  i see now that they boiled it over at some point.  it was fairly new but from walmart, so??  is there a way voltage can be fedback through possible wires touching or do diodes fail in the cluster maybe?  i cant find a charge light relay and don't think it exists in a 1978?? should i replace the instrument cluster to fix the charge light and overcharging issue?
any help is greatly appreciated as its going on 2.5 months now. ugh

ive read about gm 1 wire conversions, i'm just deep into this now yah know.

thx
john

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Are you sure they are using the correct voltage regulator?  There were several kinds.  The aftermarket ones are mostly junk.  I'd look for one off a wreck to test it out.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Chinook/fj55 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
@ H8PVMNT

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS VR149 is what is on there now i think 

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,1978,pickup,2.2l+l4,1277108,electrical,voltage+regulator,4884
it looks exactly like this.. made in usa, however they didnt give me a part number, just charged $80 for it! (not its less than $20 shipped to pgh)  but ill try to find an old VR at some point if i can't fix what i found just now...

what i discovered today was more water in the boot on the alternator 3pin plug as well as A BROKEN BLUE WIRE that had corroded inside the green housing.  i pulled the plug and started to rebuild it tho no one local has the metal locking tab disconnects that go in the green housing.  so i called a used parts place in colorado and im waiting on the the new/used plug.  in the mean time im using the basic quick disconnects inside the green housing and pigtailing it to the harness.  i filled the backside of the green alternator plug with a little silicone to both prevent the same water problem as well as hold these disconnects in place a little better.  i just want to see if the broken BLUE WIRE was what was causing the over charging.  Is that wire what tells the VR to stop charging?

id post a pic but i cant figure it out

Chinook/fj55 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
ok,  i think i fixed it.  the make shift connector (i.e lacking locking terminal disconnects in green housing) and the original VR stabilized the charging system.  it idles at 13v and with high rpms the voltage might reach 14.2v.  when i first put the connector on and started the truck the aftermarket VR was buzzing and humming.  when i reved it the VR sh*t the bed.  i think the shop might have altered or adjusted and when the proper wiring was in place it fried it.  the contact was clanking back and forth from the magnetism i guess.  but now the charge light is off and i have a new bosch alternator and original VR.  when the connector i ordered comes in ill splice it on nicely and sigh in relief. 

i just wish i had my $406 back haha

i still have to figure out why water is collecting in the alternator boot?  any ideas?  i hate to use silicone but im tempted.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Could it be coolant?

Sounds like you got it figured out.  This kind of thing is why I won't take anything to a shop any more.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Chinook/fj55 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
@H8PVMNT

i considered coolant however it doesnt smell and im not loosing coolant in the reservoir.  everything seems ok however im waiting on the new/used plug still to button it all up.  i left the boot folded inside out and siliconed the backside of the plug. we've had some major rain the past few days and ive not seen water collecting anywhere on the plug so i believe i fixed it.

yes if anyone knows knowledgable and trustworthy people in pittsburgh let me know! 

thx!

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
i still have to figure out why water is collecting in the alternator boot?  any ideas?  i hate to use silicone but im tempted.

Instead of using silicone, fill the connector with dielectric grease.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Chinook/fj55 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
@hellipilot

ok thx.  will it wash out tho? 

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
No dialectic grease will not wash out. I use it for every electrical connection in all my rigs.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I'm sure your fine with the silicone but for future reference dielectric grease is pretty awesome stuff.
– Steve McQueen